Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The forward progress rule is as old as God, established long, long before the league cared much about player safety.

The rationale for that rule is simple. Without it the defense could pick up or hold up a ball carrier and move him back instead of tackling him, theoretically as far as the end zone for a safety.

The scenario you describe only applies to penetrating the goal line and is not a forward progress ruling per se. The rule states that if the the ball crosses over any point of the goal line under ball carrier control before he is down, the play is immediately over and a TD is scored.

This blanket rule avoids problematic interpretations. Without it, how do you handle a ball carrier reaching inside the pylon, crossing the ball over the goal line, but who is "down" out of bounds? Where do you put the ball if it is not a TD?

It's a simple, all purpose rule that handles a lot of situations, and it too is as old as God.

Oh, geez, that was way off topic, wasn't it? I guess I'm heading for a self- suspension.

Without taking this even further off topic, since we are in the FC thread and it's a serious topic LOL.......I think where swhitset and I were going with this is specifically the play on Sunday where Elliotts forward progress appeared to be stopped, yet he reached the ball out (over the first down line) and then pulled it back in. Should that be treated the same as the goal line? I think not, but maybe I am wrong.

Call me a perfectionist, but I can't tell you how many times during a game I see the refs spot the ball incorrectly, drives me bananas. Now the "purist" would hate me for this, but with GPS technology it would be very quick and easy for a correct spotting of the ball after every play. Yeah I know......"blasphemy", why screw up a game like football with technology and accuracy. :coffee:

Reaction score
Without taking this even further off topic, since we are in the FC thread and it's a serious topic LOL.......I think where swhitset and I were going with this is specifically the play on Sunday where Elliotts forward progress appeared to be stopped, yet he reached the ball out (over the first down line) and then pulled it back in. Should that be treated the same as the goal line? I think not, but maybe I am wrong.

Call me a perfectionist, but I can't tell you how many times during a game I see the refs spot the ball incorrectly, drives me bananas. Now the "purist" would hate me for this, but with GPS technology it would be very quick and easy for a correct spotting of the ball after every play. Yeah I know......"blasphemy", why screw up a game like football with technology and accuracy. :coffee:
technology's great! We should imprint a barcode on the players forearms and blue tooth them to the sidelines :whistling:
I apologize, ever since I drank that Super strength 5 hour energy bottle I've been a little excited

H

HardRightEdge

If he stuck the ball out and pulled it back before he was deemed tackled, it was an incorrect call.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score

You referring to this cowboys coach moving the marker with his foot for a better spot?
Warning: The guy in the video has an annoying voice and drops the fbomb.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
You referring to this cowboys coach moving the marker with his foot for a better spot?
Warning: The guy in the video has an annoying voice and drops the fbomb.
That' unacceptable. Surprisingly I saw him do that live and I thought it was a referee or line judge! This needs to be an immediate dismissal of the individual without further pay if it was found to be willfully tampering with the game. I would even consider punishing the team in addition to make it sting (take away 1 coaches challenge per week of remaining football etc..)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Capers on Quinten Rollins: "He's a valuable guy to us because he can play a couple different positions." Also likes how he's looking in practice.

:eek:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can stand on rooftops and scream "fire Slocum" until we are blue in the face, it's never going to happen. It hasn't in the past four years and won't happen in the near future because to fire him admits they've done it wrong and they wouldn't do that.
Also, the Packers have made the playoffs every year that Slocum has been running the special teams. You just don't mess with that kind of record. Other teams (not named the Patriots) would love to have our success.

Oh, winky smiley ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Capers on Quinten Rollins: "He's a valuable guy to us because he can play a couple different positions." Also likes how he's looking in practice.

:eek:

They are ALL Pro Bowlers in Practice! What is his other position? Towel boy in the locker room?

H

HardRightEdge

Now the "purist" would hate me for this, but with GPS technology it would be very quick and easy for a correct spotting of the ball after every play.
If by that you mean putting the ball back where it was previously spotted after an incompletion, GPS is not accurate enough for that:

http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

What you'd need to do is cover each square centimeter of the field with a pressure sensor. Then you'd have to add a pressure signalling device to the players knees and elbows, something that tells the field sensors that a knee or elbow is down. The computer that gathers that information will determine which of the sensors was contacted first to determine when the player was down.

But there's all kinds of knees and elbows hitting the ground. Which one is the ball carrier? Easy. You network the ball to the knee or elbow device of the ball carrier. But which player is the ball carrier? Everybody is so close together. You can't use bluetooth. Easy. You install motion detectors in the ball, knees and elbows then develop and AI algorithim that analyzes the relative motions of the ball, knees and elbows to determine which player is carrying the ball.

How about placement of the ball? That's the hard one. I'll let you figure that one out, but in the end each filed sensor will be accompanied by LED; the one that lights up is where the ref is to place the ball. You get to work with the time stamp registered by the knee or elbow contact.

The entire system would look something like this:

After that you can work out the sidelines and the end zone too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If by that you mean putting the ball back where it was previously spotted after an incompletion, GPS is not accurate enough for that:

http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

As for spotting the ball after a guy is tackled, GPS could not make that determination even it were more accurate. The challenges are far more complicated than the capabilities of that technology .

What you'd need to do is cover each square centimeter of the field with a pressure sensor. Then you'd have to add a pressure signalling device to the players knees and elbows, something that tells the field sensors that a knee or elbow is down. The computer that gathers that information will determine which of the sensors was contacted first to determine when the player was down.

But there's all kinds of knees and elbows hitting the ground. Which one is the ball carrier? Easy. You network the ball to the knee or elbow device of the ball carrier. But which player is the ball carrier? Everybody is so close together. You can't use bluetooth. Easy. You install a motion detectors in the ball, knees and elbows then develop and AI algorithim that analyzes the relative motions of the ball, knees and elbows to determine which player is carrying the ball.

How about placement of the ball? That's the hard one. I'll let you figure that one out, but in the end each filed sensor will be accompanied by LED; the one that lights up is where the ref is to place the ball.

The entire system would look something like this:

And then you can work out the sidelines and the end zone too.

Yet, we could put a man on the moon in .....1969, a missile in the lap of whoever ....I don't think that it's the technology that isn't there, more the desire or the perceived need.

I wouldn't feel the need if I didn't see poor ball placements in every game I watch. Refs standing 5 yards away at a bad angle, not really knowing where the ball was when the player was tackled or went out of bounds. I would even say that a large majority of challenges that you see on ball placement ends up changing where the ball is placed. At minimum, someone upstairs could definitely get the spot closer to being correct, without that much of a delay.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand your reasoning Capt, I really do, and I agree the chances are VERY slim but to go forward you have to face your fears. Dallas were supposedly unbeatable in thier house but we`ve done it. I`ll even go as far as to say that if ANYBODY can do it Aaron Rodgers can........there, I said it ;)

I would rather have the Packers winning the Super Bowl without having to face their fears (Atlanta on the road) then realize it's too big of an obstacle to overcome to win another championship this season.

While I agree with you on this, how much SWEETER would that Lombardi Trophy be if it included a beat down of the Falcons....even better doing it @ Atlanta? Right now the Falcons are really reminding me of the 90's Cowboys, we just can't figure out a way to beat them.

The Packers winning the Super Bowl would be extremely sweet, no matter which road the team has to take during the playoffs.

Play some damn defense. It's obvious why they can't beat them when you watch the game. The Falcons haven't beaten us in any different form or fashion besides just going up and down the field on us...that's a coaching issue.

It might as well be a talent issue.

It's hard for me to make complaints against a team that has made the playoffs for eight straight years. Sure there is always room for improvement, but don't expect perfection. Perfection is rare in an imperfect world !

There's absolutely no reason to expect perfection, good enough to win another Lombardi Trophy would be desireable though.

Capers forgot to mention that Rollins has been getting beaten while lining up at every single one of those positions though. ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I would rather have the Packers winning the Super Bowl without having to face their fears (Atlanta on the road) then realize it's too big of an obstacle to overcome to win another championship this season.

But surely if they are THAT good, we are always going to have to face them sooner or later anyway ? They CAN be beaten.

D

Deleted member 6794

But surely if they are THAT good, we are always going to have to face them sooner or later anyway ? They CAN be beaten.

There's no doubt the Falcons can be beaten but there are other teams matching up way better with the them than the Packers, especially playing on their turf. Once again, I wouldn't mind them being eliminated before we have to face them in the postseason.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Falcons can be beaten but there are other teams matching up way better with the them than the Packers, especially playing on their turf. Once again, I wouldn't mind them being eliminated before we have to face them in the postseason.
It might depend on THEIR injury situation and THEIR offensive chemistry in January. Team’s aren’t static during a 5 month stretch.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I am just getting tired of announcers, when speaking of the other team's offense and players, saying things like career best, teams best since (years/decades) ..., career first, or other superlatives proving the ineptitude of the Packers defensive efforts that day. That followed by screen shots of Dom and saying he has to find a way to stop them. Cole Beasley this past week had his first and second TDs of the year along with Dez's first IIRC. Plus first time Zeke hit 100 yards this season. Probably his last too if the suspension holds. Dak set his season straight as he looked sub par before this past week. But it isn't just this week. It seems almost every other week it happens. I'm glad the Bears didn't put Trubisky in last week. He'd most likely have gone all Caleb Hanie on us. That is the part that bugs me. No-name scrubs write their Canton resumes in a one game statistical anomaly. We just don't dominate these guys on a game in and game out basis. Now I'm sure statistics will prove me lying but the smell test isn't that far off.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am just getting tired of announcers, when speaking of the other team's offense and players, saying things like career best, teams best since (years/decades) ..., career first, or other superlatives proving the ineptitude of the Packers defensive efforts that day. That followed by screen shots of Dom and saying he has to find a way to stop them. Cole Beasley this past week had his first and second TDs of the year along with Dez's first IIRC. Plus first time Zeke hit 100 yards this season. Probably his last too if the suspension holds. Dak set his season straight as he looked sub par before this past week. But it isn't just this week. It seems almost every other week it happens. I'm glad the Bears didn't put Trubisky in last week. He'd most likely have gone all Caleb Hanie on us. That is the part that bugs me. No-name scrubs write their Canton resumes in a one game statistical anomaly. We just don't dominate these guys on a game in and game out basis. Now I'm sure statistics will prove me lying but the smell test isn't that far off.

A big aree with this. I have been saying it for a long time about our defense. Now obviously announcers LOVE to overuse the "career this and career that" and Cowboy fans probably heard a lot of that on Sunday in regards to both Aaron's and were rolling their eyes. But you are right, it sure seems like every week, we can give an average guy a "career day" with whatever we are or aren't doing on defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

It might depend on THEIR injury situation and THEIR offensive chemistry in January. Team’s aren’t static during a 5 month stretch.

While that's true I have a hard time understanding why any Packers fan would question that the team matches up terribly with the Falcons especially when having to face them on turf.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Just popped in to ask; "Have we all gotten him fired yet?" ;)

Well not yet but tomorrow I am sure the Fire Capers bus will be around Minneapolis. I wonder if we make whoever the Vikings have as QB as Bradford is out a MVP QB for the day.

I hope the D stops them on their opening drive as past few games the D has allowed opening drive TDs.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If by that you mean putting the ball back where it was previously spotted after an incompletion, GPS is not accurate enough for that
Tennis has that Hawk-Eye system to determine if the ball is in or out. That's not GPS, but I wonder if something similar could be done with football. Maybe there are too many obstructions in football, too many people in the way of the ball, I don't know.

H

HardRightEdge

Tennis has that Hawk-Eye system to determine if the ball is in or out. That's not GPS, but I wonder if something similar could be done with football. Maybe there are too many obstructions in football, too many people in the way of the ball, I don't know.
In tennis, you're only have to shoot down a few lines tracking a single round object. Spotting a football is a far more complicated problem. Players are not typically ball first; except on a dive, the knee or elbow hits with the ball in the air. The chief problem relates to this question: where exactly did a knee or elbow touch down and where exactly was the ball when that happened?

More cameras would help.

You can challenge a ball spot. If you complain about a spot but don't challenge it that means you were not that certain about what you saw in the first place.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In tennis, you're only have to shoot down a few lines tracking a single round object.
Actually, the Hawk-Eye system locates the exact position that the ball lands on the entire court. I'm not saying the system would work in football necessarily, but it's definitely more complex than just watching a few lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.