Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll guarantee righy now they don't make the SB. They might be 4-1 but an elite QB ( As good as he is) alone won't win championships by himself.
Ridiculously easy to make a statement like that. Only 2 out of 32 teams make the Superbowl, many of them good teams. If you happen to be wrong you can just say how happy you are to be wrong....

D

Deleted member 6794

I'll guarantee righy now they don't make the SB. They might be 4-1 but an elite QB ( As good as he is) alone won't win championships by himself.

While the Packers definitely have some issues on defense I believe the team has a pretty good chance of reaching the Super Bowl as long as they don't have to travel to Atlanta during the NFC playoffs. In my opinion Green Bay matches up pretty well with every other contender in the conference.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

While the Packers definitely have some issues on defense I believe the team has a pretty good chance of reaching the Super Bowl as long as they don't have to travel to Atlanta during the NFC playoffs. In my opinion Green Bay matches up pretty well with every other contender in the conference.

I refuse to fear anybody. Every team can be beaten and if we want to be the best, we have to beat the best. We cannot live in fear of them, otherwise why even bother ?

D

Deleted member 6794

I refuse to fear anybody. Every team can be beaten and if we want to be the best, we have to beat the best. We cannot live in fear of them, otherwise why even bother ?

The Packers chances of beating the Falcons on the road are pretty slim in my opinion though. I wouldn't mind avoiding having to play them away from Lambeau Field if it results in hoisting another Lombardi Trophy.

I

The Packers chances of beating the Falcons on the road are pretty slim in my opinion though. I wouldn't mind avoiding having to play them away from Lambeau Field if it results in hoisting another Lombardi Trophy.

I understand your reasoning Capt, I really do, and I agree the chances are VERY slim but to go forward you have to face your fears. Dallas were supposedly unbeatable in thier house but we`ve done it. I`ll even go as far as to say that if ANYBODY can do it Aaron Rodgers can........there, I said it ;)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While I agree with the premise, it's always annoying to see a 'guarantee' without the terms. If they DO make the SB, what satisfaction from you will those on the other side of the fence see? :)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you know how it ends, I guess we'll look forward to your insight when next year rolls around. Enjoy your time off

I knew for a quarter of a century how the season was going to end, but I didn't see that the situation meant that I couldn't comment. Does the same concept apply to those who maintain that the Pack WILL make the SB?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

While I agree with you on this, how much SWEETER would that Lombardi Trophy be if it included a beat down of the Falcons....even better doing it @ Atlanta? Right now the Falcons are really reminding me of the 90's Cowboys, we just can't figure out a way to beat them.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still haven't figured out how "breaking the plane" results in a first down. He voluntarily surrendered the yardage by pulling the ball back before the whistle blew.

Exactly what I said. The only thing that makes sense is they treat that type of situation like breaking the plane, when guys stretch the ball across the goal line trying to score.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with you on this, how much SWEETER would that Lombardi Trophy be if it included a beat down of the Falcons....even better doing it @ Atlanta? Right now the Falcons are really reminding me of the 90's Cowboys, we just can't figure out a way to beat them.

Play some damn defense. It's obvious why they can't beat them when you watch the game. The Falcons haven't beaten us in any different form or fashion besides just going up and down the field on us...that's a coaching issue.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Exactly what I said. The only thing that makes sense is they treat that type of situation like breaking the plane, when guys stretch the ball across the goal line trying to score.

Or a Packer defender knocks the damn ball out of his hand as he is trying to stretch it out. I have read a few things about that play and nobody seems 100% sure what would have been ruled had a Packer knocked the ball out of Elliots hand during the stretch out or during the time he was bringing it back to secure. Personally, I say fumble. If he is being credited with the extra yardage during the stretch, then ball is live. But if ball is live, why is he being given the extra yard, when he pulled the ball back into his body?

These are the "little" nuances of rules that drive me crazy. You don't see it happen often enough, but in some cases, like this one, could have been a game changer.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Oh I would love to beat the brakes off of the Falcons.....on the frozen tundra. :tup:

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard for me to make complaints against a team that has made the playoffs for eight straight years. Sure there is always room for improvement, but don't expect perfection. Perfection is rare in an imperfect world !

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking of the '90s Cowboys also. Thing is, if you could press a button and determine where we were going to play the Falcons, where would it be? In Atlanta or at Lambeau? They're built to play on turf, we're built more to play on grass - with synthetic fibers woven in :) No shame in going with what your team is designed for. To be honest, I don't give a damn where we beat them, as long as we beat them. If we win the Super Bowl, it will be plenty sweet if we have home field going in. We did the wild card road thing last time (in 2010).

Back to the '90s Cowboys: If this was Favre's Packers, where would you want to play them? Favre never did beat them in Texas.

H

HardRightEdge

This thread is getting way off topic! It's about Fire Capers! So get back to it, will ya?

I

We can stand on rooftops and scream "fire Slocum" until we are blue in the face, it's never going to happen. It hasn't in the past four years and won't happen in the near future because to fire him admits they've done it wrong and they wouldn't do that.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or a Packer defender knocks the damn ball out of his hand as he is trying to stretch it out. I have read a few things about that play and nobody seems 100% sure what would have been ruled had a Packer knocked the ball out of Elliots hand during the stretch out or during the time he was bringing it back to secure. Personally, I say fumble. If he is being credited with the extra yardage during the stretch, then ball is live. But if ball is live, why is he being given the extra yard, when he pulled the ball back into his body?

These are the "little" nuances of rules that drive me crazy. You don't see it happen often enough, but in some cases, like this one, could have been a game changer.
Frankly those nuances happen because the league is trying to make compromise rules to protect player safety. What other good reason is there for the forward progress rule anyway. Personally... I don't think it should have been a first down... His actual forward progress stopped when his body was not able to advance any further. He then thrust his arm forward across the line to gain and then voluntarily pulled it back and was still not down on the ground. The whistle had not blown so... Why do we arbitrarily decide that his progress was stopped the second he thrust his arm forward. If he had left it there fine, but as soon as he pulled it back voluntarily, it would seem to me that he was surrendering that yardage the same as if a wide receiver runs backwards in an attempt to gain even more yardage.

H

HardRightEdge

We can stand on rooftops and scream "fire Slocum" until we are blue in the face, it's never going to happen. It hasn't in the past four years and won't happen in the near future because to fire him admits they've done it wrong and they wouldn't do that.
You need a winky smiley face on that one. Otherwise people will think you're unaware Slocum is long gone.

H

HardRightEdge

Frankly those nuances happen because the league is trying to make compromise rules to protect player safety. What other good reason is there for the forward progress rule anyway.
The forward progress rule is as old as God, established long, long before the league cared much about player safety.

The rationale for that rule is simple. Without it the defense could pick up or hold up a ball carrier and move him back instead of tackling him, theoretically as far as the end zone for a safety.

The scenario you describe only applies to penetrating the goal line and is not a forward progress ruling per se. The rule states that if the the ball crosses over any point of the goal line under ball carrier control before he is down, the play is immediately over and a TD is scored.

This blanket rule avoids problematic interpretations. Without it, how do you handle a ball carrier reaching inside the pylon, crossing the ball over the goal line, but who is "down" out of bounds? Where do you put the ball if it is not a TD?

It's a simple, all purpose rule that handles a lot of situations, and it too is as old as God.

Oh, geez, that was way off topic, wasn't it? I guess I'm heading for a self- suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.