Finally get to see Dallas freeze in Greenbay -- Official division game thread

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think AR will have a big day. I think he will expose the Cowboy secondary in a way no QB was able to this season. The diversity of our attack will expose their lack of defensive talent. I think we will be able to pressure Romo all game and he will start to crack about mid 3rd quarter. Maybe a pick or two.

I thinking Packers 36-26.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a bad thing, the guy who was on Pettigrew never turned around and looked for the ball and that's always PI in the NFL books, but that being said, Stafford could've put a game-winning drive down when he had the chance as time was winding down, and his failure to do that was nobody's fault but his own. So yeah while it was a big call, it was nowhere near Fail Mary level.

The Panthers CAN beat Seattle. The last couple games they've played against them have been low-scoring and close. It'll be one of those games where those 1 or 2 plays will make the difference, and let's hope they belong to the Panthers.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo has played a total of four games in temperatures 35 degrees or below on the road. Here are his cumulative stats.

Cowboys record: 2-2
9 TD's
4 INT's
74/120 for 753 yards (61.6% completion)
90.7 Passer Rating

I don't think the cold bothers him too much. He is from Wisconsin, after all.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fear Witten is going to be a problem.

Witten is a good, reliable TE but he's not exactly a speedster. I think even Hawk can keep up with him*

*I am not endorsing Hawk in coverage, this example was solely for entertainment and illustrative purposes

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To add to what I posted above, here are Rodgers' stats in games 35 degrees or below, after November 1st of every season. This includes playoffs.

Packers Record: 19-6
54 TD's
12 INT's
65% Completion
Averages 278 Yards a game
108.2 Passer Rating

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless the forecast changes a lot weather shouldn't be a factor. In fact the warmer the better it is for the Packers. The warmer it is the better it is for Rodgers calf! Last season a lot of bloggers felt that the cold would hurt San Fran. Maybe it did but it was the Packers offense that looked like it had problems getting used to the cold. Do you trust Packer special teams to adjust to the cold. I don't.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless the forecast changes a lot weather shouldn't be a factor. In fact the warmer the better it is for the Packers. The warmer it is the better it is for Rodgers calf! Last season a lot of bloggers felt that the cold would hurt San Fran. Maybe it did but it was the Packers offense that looked like it had problems getting used to the cold. Do you trust Packer special teams to adjust to the cold. I don't.

San Fran's offense was much less explosive in that playoff game than normal. Don't know for sure, but the cold could have been a reason for it.

Sky King

Reaction score
The Romo hate is weird because it's just not true. Rodgers is better than Romo (enough posters get insecure about praising other players that it becomes necessary to mention this up front). That said, Romo has more comeback wins since he entered the league than any other QB.
Let's qualify that further. It also means his team has been playing from behind a lot.

If his team also has had the best W-L record since he entered the league then the comeback wins may be more representative of his ability to perform under pressure. If he had won more than a single playoff game since he entered the league it may add credibility to that comeback record of his. He now has a total of one wild card victory to his credit, although he and his team didn't exactly light-up the Lions to achieve it. Good for him to finally get that elusive victory. But it will take more than one win to convince me that Romo can lead his team into battle with consistent success, especially with the added pressure of a so-called "do or die" playoff game. He has yet to prove that he can do it more than once. But at least he's off to a good start, though much belated.

The controversial victory against the Lions represents a mere single playoff win with Romo at the helm, and it came only after several very disappointing attempts to achieve such a victory in the past. That's a relevant stat that is definitely worthy of our attention. As Deion Sanders has stated, "Not everyone is made for the moment." Romo still has a long way to go in order to prove that he is.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's qualify that further. It also means his team has been playing from behind a lot.

If his team also has had the best W-L record since he entered the league then the comeback wins may be more representative of his ability to perform under pressure. If he had won more than a single playoff game since he entered the league it may add credibility to that comeback record of his. He now has a total of one wild card victory to his credit, although he and his team didn't exactly light-up the Lions to achieve it. Good for him to finally get that elusive victory. But it will take more than one win to convince me that Romo can lead his team into battle with consistent success, especially with the added pressure of a so-called "do or die" playoff game. He has yet to prove that he can do it more than once. But at least he's off to a good start, though much belated.

The controversial victory against the Lions represents a mere single playoff win with Romo at the helm, and it came only after several very disappointing attempts to achieve such a victory in the past. That's a relevant stat that is definitely worthy of our attention. As Deion Sanders has stated, "Not everyone is made for the moment." Romo still has a long way to go in order to prove that he is.

I do not mean to nitpick, but this is Romo's second Wild Card win. He beat the Eagles in 2009, before getting blown out by Favre and the Vikings in the Divisional Round.

Sky King

Reaction score
I do not mean to nitpick, but this is Romo's second Wild Card win. He beat the Eagles in 2009, before getting blown out by Favre and the Vikings in the Divisional Round.
Thanks for the correction. I'm slightly-less unimpressed than before. I'm unconvinced that he's made for the moment. There may be more concern if this was the regular season and not the playoffs.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Witten is a good, reliable TE but he's not exactly a speedster. I think even Hawk can keep up with him*

*I am not endorsing Hawk in coverage, this example was solely for entertainment and illustrative purposes
witten is a possesion reciever. he really doesn't need speed his experience and body type can move those chains. As far as HAWK i pray they start barrington so he can lay a tone setting hit on murray cause aj hawk will wait for murray to pass him and arm tackle him.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is reason to believe the Pack' run D will be a force on Sunday.

Nice article by Tom Oates of the Wisconsin State Journal praising Dom Capers for moving Clay Matthews to the middle, increasing playing time for Mike Neal and Nick Perry, and inserting Sam Barrington for Hawk.

"Clearly, the Packers’ ability to defend the Cowboys will start with the run. This is the same Green Bay run defense that allowed 153.5 yards per game the first half of the season, giving up 172 yards to New Orleans’ Mark Ingram, 122 to Chicago’s Matt Forte and 110 to Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch.

Those numbers changed dramatically after Capers began changing his personnel and approach during the bye week.

Outside linebacker Clay Matthews started receiving snaps inside, which gave the Packers more speed and play-making ability there and also increased the playing time of outside linebackers Mike Neal and Nick Perry. Untested thumper Sam Barrington started seeing action inside as aging A.J. Hawk’s role was reduced
."

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/foot...d7f-5ab4-846f-600c2e3eb106.html#ixzz3O18OWm4q

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is that Marinelli plays a cover 2 defense that is quite similar to Lovie's. Needless to say, this defense always has done a solid job of slowing down the Packers offense. Even against lowly Tampa this year, we only put up 20 points. What do you see Rodgers and MM doing to attack Dallas' D?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fear witten the most. He is a possession guy but he can break a D on that 3rd and 7 play. He is easier to cover now than a few years ago but he is the one who is reliable for romo when things break down. Future HOFer and well deserved

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murray is averaging 3.9 yards a carry since thanksgiving. While Lacy is averaging a little over 5 yards a carry. Something to keep in mind. Also the season load on Murray is 392 vs 246 for Lacy

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is that Marinelli plays a cover 2 defense that is quite similar to Lovie's. Needless to say, this defense always has done a solid job of slowing down the Packers offense. Even against lowly Tampa this year, we only put up 20 points. What do you see Rodgers and MM doing to attack Dallas' D?

Cowboys don't have any stars on defense. They just play team defense and rally to the ball well. One on one, their CB's wont be able to stay with Nelson or Cobb. I'm sure they'll rotate a Safety over on Nelson to help a lot of the game.

Dallas's defense is very vulnerable in the middle of the field. McClain is great at stuffing the run, but hes big and slow and cannot cover well. I think we'll see a big play by Richard Rodgers down the seam at some point (or maybe even Quarless)

Every game Ive watched Dallas play this season, they always give up points and Ive seen them get into double digit holes quite a few times too. So if we somehow manage to get up by 14-21 points, we need to keep the foot on the gas and keep pouring it on. Rams got up 21-0 on them and then got real conservative. Lions did too for the most part (or tried getting cute with their play calling) - Dallas seems to get into a comfort zone when they are down. Like it wakes them up. We cant let that happen. We need to turn a 14-21 point lead into a 28-35 point lead and crush their will.

We'll score on Dallas. Most everyone has this season. I think we'll score 30+ points on them. Problem is, can our defense keep them from scoring enough and prevent Dallas's offense from keeping them in the game? I predict a big game from Julius Peppers. This is why he signed with the Packers. Hes hungry for a Super Bowl and hes hungry to play in big games like this. Its time he showed why we signed him and why he signed with us.

I say the final score will be 38-24 Packers.

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McClain is one of their best defenders and its up in the air if he plays due to neck and concussion issues.

Members online

Latest posts