Final 53 -- Play GM and build your roster link

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Echo chamber...one guy says it, it shows up here, then another media guy repeats it, and it bounces right back, then around and around it goes. I'm sure this will not be the last time somebody in the media says it, and it will be without attribution, as though it was an independently determined opinion.

That's why, to take one example, the draft grades and mocks are so far off. A guy doesn't know, he hears somebody he thinks might know, so he repeats it.

Unless you can tell me his injury will have a permanent impairment, or he's a drug suspension in waiting, or he told some coach to f*ck off, there's no basis for this.

Nagler said it too, but I get it, you believe he is a lock and his performance was only affected by his injury.

Nagler and Silversteins opinion of this team don't carry any weight with you, shocker.

I love how someone's opinion that someone might not make the 53 gets such a reaction.

PackerJoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB (2) - Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley
RB (4) - Eddie Lacy, James Starks, Aaron Ripkowski, waiver pickup at final cutdown
WR (6) - Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis
TE (4) - Richard Rodgers, Jared Cook, Justin Perillo, Kennard Backman
OL (9) - David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, Corey Linsley, J.C. Tretter, Lane Taylor, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy
DL (6) - Mike Daniels, Letroy Guion, Kenny Clark, Josh Boyd, Dean Lowry, Mike Pennel
LB (10) - Julius Peppers, Nick Perry, Clay Matthews, Jake Ryan, Datone Jones, Kyler Fackrell, Jayrone Elliott, Sam Barrington, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas
DB (9) - Sam Shields, Damarious Randall, Morgan Burnett, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Quinten Rollins, LaDarius Gunter, Robertson Daniel, Micah Hyde, Chris Banjo
ST (3) - Mason Crosby, Tim Masthay, Rick Lovato

The Packers probably carry three running backs and I'd guess the third one isn't on the roster yet. Good chance that one is claimed from another team at final cuts. It really wouldn't be that surprising if the Packers elected to start the season with only two running backs if McCarthy plans to give Cobb/Montgomery approximately 12 snaps per game in the backfield. The Packers carried Alonzo Harris as the third back for a good percentage of last season and he was the equivalent of a practice squad player, so they could just figure the third running back is the top running back they have on the practice squad. All that said, I'd still predict they keep a third back who is currently on another team's roster. If they would decide to only keep 2 running backs, then add Jared Abbrederis to the wide receiver list.

Christian Ringo begins the regular season on the 53 man roster and Mike Pennel replaces him once his suspension ends.

There will be at least one undrafted free agent that will make the roster but until they get a couple weeks into the pre-season it is just about impossible to guess who that player might be. Currently I'd say DB only because LaDarius Gunter and Robertson Daniel are probably the players most likely to lose their spot. While Pennel survives, Demetri Goodson's suspension has probably earned him a ticket out of town.

H

HardRightEdge

Nagler said it too, but I get it, you believe he is a lock and his performance was only affected by his injury.

Nagler and Silversteins opinion of this team don't carry any weight with you, shocker.
Maybe you got it, maybe you didn't.

"Lock"? I don't think I used that word. However, the default position at this stage is that Adams will make this roster.

As stated, there could be things going on behind the scenes of which neither you nor I are aware. Silverstein's piece does not provide that...it's just an opinion piece. Just as most writers and fans simply assume Barrington and Montgomery will be back 100%, I make no such assumption, nor do I make that assumption about Adams. These foot/ankle injuries can be quite pesky. I'm still waiting for some reporting on these players status rather than a rehash of what we've already seen with our own eyes.

When reporters tell me something I cannot see for myself, such as a statement from an inside source, I'll pay attention. If they express an opinion that resonates based on what I see, then I'll consider it. If they break down plays or film, I'll watch (see Silverstein/Butler). Silverstein's is an opinion piece; in that case I'd just as soon adhere to my own. I'm not sure which Nagler quote you're citing, so I cannot comment on that. Was one reporter just echoing the other? This strikes me as just the popular thing-de-jour to jump on just because the Packers took a WR in the 5th. round, drawing a conclusion that may not be there.

You might consider that reporters have volume quotas and deadlines and at times need to dig deep for things to talk about.

Many in these pages were going gaga over Adams during training camp with Rodgers and McCarthy effusive in their praise, the coach going so far as to call Adams an offseason MVP. Nelson was out, so I suspect a few were too clever by half in following those comments and putting Adams on their fantasy roster, so now they want their pound of flesh.

You'll find no such enthusiasm for practice performance from me. My expressed opinion, which applies to any player in any year, is that practice reports have questionable value. Preseason game performance tells you more, but I wouldn't draw any conclusion about a vet not looking sharp (business decisions, long season ahead) or a young player flashing against 3rd. stringers who won't make their roster (Elliott, for example, Mr. Preseason). Money games...that's where the rubber meets the road

Let's say I described the following Packer player and you did not know what year or what player it was:
  • second round draft pick wideouts
  • promising rookie year as a starter
  • past wideouts were not particularly productive until they'dbeen in the league a few years
  • disappointing 2nd. season, nagged by injuries
Knowing the Packers are draft-and-develop, knowing they keep their mid-to-high picks for at least an extra year after initial disappointing performance (Worthy, who didn't show some initial promise as with Adams) and keep other disappointing players past they're sell-by date even switching their position (see backup ILBs), the default position on Adams should be clear. Whether one got burned in fantasy would not enter into the equation.
I love how someone's opinion that someone might not make the 53 gets such a reaction.
I love how someone's opinion that someone will make the 53 gets such a reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it hilarious so many seem to have forgotten McCray. I don't think he is going to start, but the dude should make the roster.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB (4) - Eddie Lacy, James Starks, Aaron Ripkowski, waiver pickup at final cutdown
WR (6) - Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis
OL (9) - David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, Corey Linsley, J.C. Tretter, Lane Taylor, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy
DL (6) - Mike Daniels, Letroy Guion, Kenny Clark, Josh Boyd, Dean Lowry, Mike Pennel
LB (10) - Julius Peppers, Nick Perry, Clay Matthews, Jake Ryan, Datone Jones, Kyler Fackrell, Jayrone Elliott, Sam Barrington, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas
DB (9) - Sam Shields, Damarious Randall, Morgan Burnett, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Quinten Rollins, LaDarius Gunter, Robertson Daniel, Micah Hyde, Chris Banjo

The Packers probably carry three running backs and I'd guess the third one isn't on the roster yet. Good chance that one is claimed from another team at final cuts. It really wouldn't be that surprising if the Packers elected to start the season with only two running backs if McCarthy plans to give Cobb/Montgomery approximately 12 snaps per game in the backfield. The Packers carried Alonzo Harris as the third back for a good percentage of last season and he was the equivalent of a practice squad player, so they could just figure the third running back is the top running back they have on the practice squad. All that said, I'd still predict they keep a third back who is currently on another team's roster. If they would decide to only keep 2 running backs, then add Jared Abbrederis to the wide receiver list.

Christian Ringo begins the regular season on the 53 man roster and Mike Pennel replaces him once his suspension ends.

There will be at least one undrafted free agent that will make the roster but until they get a couple weeks into the pre-season it is just about impossible to guess who that player might be. Currently I'd say DB only because LaDarius Gunter and Robertson Daniel are probably the players most likely to lose their spot. While Pennel survives, Demetri Goodson's suspension has probably earned him a ticket out of town.

Beniquez Brown over Joe Thomas at the LB spot I think. Guy was graded to be a 2-3 rounder. Granted that means something happened but I still see him making the team over Thomas at least.

Gunter and Crockett both on the 53 man too.

D

Deleted member 6794

It really wouldn't be that surprising if the Packers elected to start the season with only two running backs if McCarthy plans to give Cobb/Montgomery approximately 12 snaps per game in the backfield.

I don't think the coaching staff plans on lining up Cobb or Montgomery that much in the backfield.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arizona does not have the best secondary in the NFL. They aren't really in the discussion either. Good yes. Not the best.

Can we stop acting like Janis didn't get any snaps at WR before the Cardinals game please?

He had one big drive were he came up with two huge catches. Perhaps he can use that as a springboard but people shouldn't assume that it proves anything

Nor should they dissuade anyone from being optimistic and encouraged.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Wasn't trying to sound pessimistic in the least just trying to sayin people shouldn't get too ahead of themselves
Perhaps, but it also shouldn't be brushed off as some kind of lucky day or dismissed as no indication that Janis couldn't be a key contributor if given the chance. That wasn't a preseason game.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps, but it also shouldn't be brushed off as some kind of lucky day or dismissed as no indication that Janis couldn't be a key contributor if given the chance. That wasn't a preseason game.

Actually yes it absolutely can be brushed off as a lucky day untill he shows he can do it again. Samkon Gado anyone?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

With 2 of those catches going for 101 of those yards and 1 of those TDs factoring in they came on 2 desperation plays on the final drive.

So in other words outside of 2 desperation plays he had 5 catches for 44yards and 1 TD on a team that lacked others to thow too.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who did better?

Who was healthy enough to play?

The point is, while it was encouraging that he came up with two huge catches, acting like he played great the entire game and using the complete game numbers as some kind of proof of things to come isn't just folly. It's intellectually dishonest

Sky King

Reaction score
Who was healthy enough to play?

The point is, while it was encouraging that he came up with two huge catches, acting like he played great the entire game and using the complete game numbers as some kind of proof of things to come isn't just folly. It's intellectually dishonest
Right back at you: Who did better in any game last season?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't see Joe Thomas being on our final roster again.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right back at you: Who did better in any game last season?

Any game? I hope your not asking which WR had a better game as a whole than Janis against Arizona?

If u really want me to list every game a WR posted better numbers better than 5 catches for 44 yards and a TD (as I've stated the last 2 were desperation throws) I will but damn.

Otherwise RR really gets a bad break around these parts cause damn he put up a MONSTER game against Detroit after you factor in his Hail Mary reception

Sky King

Reaction score
Any game? I hope your not asking which WR had a better game as a whole than Janis against Arizona?

If u really want me to list every game a WR posted better numbers better than 5 catches for 44 yards and a TD (as I've stated the last 2 were desperation throws) I will but damn.

Otherwise RR really gets a bad break around these parts cause damn he put up a MONSTER game against Detroit after you factor in his Hail Mary reception
So which is it? Do we count all receptions made by receivers in a game or not?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You just dismissed Janis' numbers by omitting the final two catches, but you factor in RR's Hail Mary catch.

This may be a shock to you, but not every single receiver makes 14 yards per each ball they catch, or whatever their YPC is, and it doesn't always come consistently throughout the game. I'm sure Fitzgerald's stats weren't that great before their final drive, but to dismiss the plays he made and to take those away from him as a player is ridiculous.

As good as Rodgers is, I doubt the team can execute two "desperation throws" of 50 yards on the same drive. The first was a perfect strike to an open receiver on a critical down. And if he did make two amazing catches as you say, despite having limited reps with the starters, I'm not sure how that is helping your case.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt Janis had a great game against the Cardinals in the playoffs. A lot of Packers faithfuls put way too much stock in the performance though as he hasn't done anything worth mentioning as a receiver aside of that game over the last two years.

I think it would be smart to let him prove he can duplicate these numbers in at least another game before elevating him to stardom.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just dismissed Janis' numbers by omitting the final two catches, but you factor in RR's Hail Mary catch.

This may be a shock to you, but not every single receiver makes 14 yards per each ball they catch, or whatever their YPC is, and it doesn't always come consistently throughout the game. I'm sure Fitzgerald's stats weren't that great before their final drive, but to dismiss the plays he made and to take those away from him as a player is ridiculous.

As good as Rodgers is, I doubt the team can execute two "desperation throws" of 50 yards on the same drive. The first was a perfect strike to an open receiver on a critical down. And if he did make two amazing catches as you say, despite having limited reps with the starters, I'm not sure how that is helping your case.

I'm not counting RR hail mary. It was an example of double standards others use so its good you go on to count the Janis Hail Mary while discounting the other.

Also comparing Fitzgerald's big play to a Hail Mary isn't the same thing. But hey if you want to think plays like that are in any way comparable be my guest.

Just take a breath and take a step back before thinking the Arizona game and his stats are PROOF of anything. They can make you hopeful sure. But acting like the proof is there now is wrong.

Seriously you guys must've LOVED Gado.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Janis had a great game against the Cardinals in the playoffs. A lot of Packers faithfuls put way too much stock in the performance though as he hasn't done anything worth mentioning as a receiver aside of that game over the last two years.

He wasn't given the opportunity of more than one possession until the injury report absolutely dictated that he be given that opportunity. As soon as he got it, he capitalized on it. It lends to the logic that he probably should have been given that opportunity sooner, especially given the season-long struggle to stretch the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

He wasn't given the opportunity of more than one possession until the injury report absolutely dictated that he be given that opportunity. As soon as he got it, he capitalized on it. It lends to the logic that he probably should have been given that opportunity sooner, especially given the season-long struggle to stretch the field.

It seems like the front office and coaching staff still don't believe in him turning into a productive receiver though. How else do you explain Thompson drafting another receiver with the same skill set in Trevor Davis???

Members online

Latest posts