Grading the past 3 draft classes

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot of negativity about the draft selections of the past 3 years. I thought the same thing initially until I looked into it a little more. Compared to other teams (like the Patriots to name one) have 1-2 starters or solid 2nd guys in from the past 3 drafts. Lets take a look and give a quick (arguable "grade" to each selection). I based mine off of where they fell in the draft and how well they have produced thus far:

2013 (5 starters/solid 2nd guys in)
1. Datone Jones: D+
2. Eddie Lacy: B-
3. David Bakhtari: A
4. JC Tretter: A-
5. Johnathan Franklin: F
6. Micah Hyde: A
7. Josh Boyd: D+
8. Nate Palmer: C
9. Charles Johnson: F
10. Sam Barrington: B

2014 (4-5 players are starters or solid #2 guys in):
1. Haha Clinton-Dix: A-
2. Davante Adams: A-
3. Khyri Thorton: F
4. Richard Rodgers: C+
5. Carl Bradford: D
6. Corey Linsley: A
7. Jared Abbrederis: D
8. Demetri Goodson: C
9. Jeff Janis: B+

2015 (5 players are starters or starting caliber level):
1.Damarious Randall: B
2. Quinten Rollins: B-
3. Ty Montgomery: A
4. Jake Ryan: A+
5. Brett Hundley: D+
6. Aaron Ripkowski: A+
7. Christian Ringo: F
8. Ken are Backman: F

2016 (obviously too early to really tell, but took a stab at it anyways) 5 starters/starting caliber-level/2nd guy in:
1. Kenny Clark: C
2. Jason Spriggs: B
3. Kyler Frackrell: C+
4. Blake Martinez: A-
5. Dean Lowry: B+
6. Trevor Davis: C-?
7. Kyle Murphy: ?

Whether you agree with the grades or not, overall we are averaging that 5 players a draft are solid contributors to the team in some form. Really not a bad stat at all when you compare to other teams drafts.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I generally agree, but it really is hard to assess this year's draft and even last year's to a smaller degree. Too many guys are playing their first full season (Ripkowski, Montgomery, Ryan) and others such as Rollins and Randall have exhibited sophomore slump characteristics. You ideally need that third year to see where the trend is really heading.

My only real comments are the Franklin and Charles Johnson getting F's only speak to their production. The reality is that they were good picks. Franklin was looking good and then his career ended due to injury. Johnson was stolen from our practice squad. He would be our solid #3 or #4 receiver by now. We just had a backlog at WR back then so couldn't have him on the roster.

I would also lower Dimitri Goodson to at least a C- or D+. Only a special teams contributor and a giant liability on defense, plus a repeat offender in the drug category.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot of negativity about the draft selections of the past 3 years. I thought the same thing initially until I looked into it a little more. Compared to other teams (like the Patriots to name one) have 1-2 starters or solid 2nd guys in from the past 3 drafts. Lets take a look and give a quick (arguable "grade" to each selection). I based mine off of where they fell in the draft and how well they have produced thus far:

Whether you agree with the grades or not, overall we are averaging that 5 players a draft are solid contributors to the team in some form. Really not a bad stat at all when you compare to other teams drafts.

"
3. David Bakhtari: A Is theft legal?
4. JC Tretter: A- C+ Only played slightly more than one full season so far. You graded on potential.
5. Johnathan Franklin: F INC. Loosing career to injury during first season does not make him a bad player.
6. Micah Hyde: A C+. Above average general DB backup. Not starter quality but OK where he was picked.
9. Charles Johnson: F C Just not in Green Bay. Not his fault he was picked up elsewhere.
5. Carl Bradford: D F Can't make the game day roster even after injuries decimated his position.
6. Corey Linsley: A B Needs to play more than one full season to earn the A
9. Jeff Janis: B+ C You are grading on his potential and very occasional splash play.

3. Ty Montgomery: A B hasn't made it through a season healthy yet.
7. Christian Ringo: F D+ If you gave Goodson above a C, Ringo is at least a D. He has played more than Hundley.

1. Kenny Clark: C C+ Better than he gets credit for.
2. Jason Spriggs: B C Just OK so far even if he started at a new position and didn't look terrible.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts