Post-Combine Mock Draft/Free Agency

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read where James is an alpha dog in the locker room. I know I said he should be there at 14. but he certainly may have boosted a bit at the combine. I surely do like him, we need some studs.
I'm not drafting a TE at 14, we should be able to get a good one second round, the Penn St. guy could be there then.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of picks, lots of holes.

I agree. However I will add that if you strike gold with one pick it fixes lots of holes too.

If this defense can add just one legit playermaker/Pro Bowl level guy to the back 7 you'll be shocked just how much the defense as a whole improves.

That said it's always better to add that type of a guy to a unit without those holes

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Green Bay acquiring any top flight running back is that Mccarthy does not know how to use them. He doesnt use the ones we have. It would be a waste.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Green Bay acquiring any top flight running back is that Mccarthy does not know how to use them. He doesnt use the ones we have. It would be a waste.

You realize a lot of that is Rodgers audibling to a pass play, right?

And let's think about this...Rodgers has a career average of 7.9 yards/attempt. How many running backs in the NFL are close to that? You don't need a top flight RB. Look at what NE does. RB's are overrated.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really hoping for James. He was dropping into the 20's before the combine and now most mocks have him going before 14. The real draft always goes different. I can see the 4 QB's and 2 WR's going. I know no one is predicting this but Ridley and Sutton could easily go top 14 allowing James or Edmunds to slide to us.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really hoping for James. He was dropping into the 20's before the combine and now most mocks have him going before 14. The real draft always goes different. I can see the 4 QB's and 2 WR's going. I know no one is predicting this but Ridley and Sutton could easily go top 14 allowing James or Edmunds to slide to us.
I’m thinking the run or not on QBs makes the difference, let’s hope 3 or 4 go before we pick.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
As far players to move....I think Cobb should be packaged in a deal to acquire another draft pick. Keep Nelson and Clay. Cobb is expendable IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If people aren't convinced that Cobb has little or no trade value, just look around the league at what other teams are doing with players that are underperforming their contracts. Also, ask yourself this question, if you were a Vikings fan, would you trade for Cobb and what would you trade for him?

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Harold Landry should be the pick at #14. If hes gone I think trading back a few picks makes sense and pick Vander Esch. In round 2 hopefully either Goedert or Gesicki fall but I think one or both go in round 1/early round 2. I don't know if Hurst or Andrews really blows me away for that pick. At that point you could probably get one of those 2 in round 3 maybe. Lots of shuffling to think about with FA coming up next week so it is tough to really gauge what kind of run of QB's is going to happen in round 1. As long as we don't end up taking Veah, Davenport, or a secondary player that isn't Fitz/James/Ward I will be somewhat comfortable with whatever I think.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m thinking the run or not on QBs makes the difference, let’s hope 3 or 4 go before we pick.
True. Hopefully teams will also take a hard look at some O-lineman. Something crazy always happens so maybe we'll get lucky.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One you run across the field catching passes from both directions. Hurst and Andrews looked smooth, caught the ball well and just looked comfortable. Giesicki and my guy, Dalton Schultz, ran slowly and looked awkward out there. Nerves? Maybe, but it seems to me the athletic ability (control) may be limited.
I am a tad bias being a Sooner fan and following Mandrews ever since he was being recruited but I want him on this team. He has the makings of a day one field stretcher and his hands are top shelf. Really good speed for a man his size and a tough guy to boot. He will be a RZ force in the NFL and I sure would love to see him in GB opposed to somewhere else.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a tad bias being a Sooner fan and following Mandrews ever since he was being recruited but I want him on this team. He has the makings of a day one field stretcher and his hands are top shelf. Really good speed for a man his size and a tough guy to boot. He will be a RZ force in the NFL and I sure would love to see him in GB opposed to somewhere else.

It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted. Goedert and Gisecki have ramped up the boards. Hurst is out there too. I can't tell if Andrews gets drafted before any of those 3 or if he is still gonna be there in round 3.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted. Goedert and Gisecki have ramped up the boards. Hurst is out there too. I can't tell if Andrews gets drafted before any of those 3 or if he is still gonna be there in round 3.
I will be surprised if he's still there in the 3rd. Pass catching TE's are very important in today's NFL. Both Super Bowl teams had elite level TE's in Gronk and Ertz for instance. Mandrews is getting a bad, rather lazy rap as an unwilling blocker and that just isn't factual. OU is known as a throw the ball around the field team when in reality they run a very balanced offense and always have a strong ground game (AD, D. Murray, Perine, Mixon, Anderson, etc.). Both TE's and WR's are asked to do their fair share of blocking and Mark doesn't mind putting his hat on someone. I think if he does his thing at OU's Pro Day a team will see too much value to not pull the trigger in the second. If we could land him in the 3rd I would be jumping for joy!

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be surprised if he's still there in the 3rd. Pass catching TE's are very important in today's NFL. Both Super Bowl teams had elite level TE's in Gronk and Ertz for instance. Mandrews is getting a bad, rather lazy rap as an unwilling blocker and that just isn't factual. OU is known as a throw the ball around the field team when in reality they run a very balanced offense and always have a strong ground game (AD, D. Murray, Perine, Mixon, Anderson, etc.). Both TE's and WR's are asked to do their fair share of blocking and Mark doesn't mind putting his hat on someone. I think if he does his thing at OU's Pro Day a team will see too much value and not pull the trigger in the second. If we could land him in the 3rd I would be jumping for joy!

Eh, I don't think the blocking thing is a huge mark. Goedert, Gesicki, and Hurst all fit in that same category. I just have a hard time believing 4 TE's are picked before our pick in round 3.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, I don't think the blocking thing is a huge mark. Goedert, Gesicki, and Hurst all fit in that same category. I just have a hard time believing 4 TE's are picked before our pick in round 3.
Who knows? That's the fun part of this process...the guessing. Even the "pros" that are plugged in are basically just putting together a NCAA bracket but with draft picks. Maybe my argument should be Mandrews is a second round talent. That doesn't guarantee he will go there but I strongly feel he is one of the best 60+ players in this draft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Andrews and Hurst and think they might both be drafted ahead of Geisicki and Goedert. I also believe they will have better NFL careers. I like Hurst a tad better but would have no problem with Andrews being the pick.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For some reason I think that is a given. It may not be the teams ahead of us right now doing the picking but I could see someone trading up. This seems to be the most highly touted QB class since 1983, and it seems like there are even more teams needing QBs. I think 4 QBs taken before we pick is very likely so lets see who else is gone. Barkely, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, probably Ward and I'll say Ridley because someone will really needs a WR and he's a damn good one. That's 10 gone I'd say for sure. Take 3 more off the board and its our turn. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm kind of excited about the draft this year. Too bad it took a bad year for it to happen.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason I think that is a given. It may not be the teams ahead of us right now doing the picking but I could see someone trading up. This seems to be the most highly touted QB class since 1983, and it seems like there are even more teams needing QBs. I think 4 QBs taken before we pick is very likely so lets see who else is gone. Barkely, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, probably Ward and I'll say Ridley because someone will really needs a WR and he's a damn good one. That's 10 gone I'd say for sure. Take 3 more off the board and its our turn. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm kind of excited about the draft this year. Too bad it took a bad year for it to happen.
It's a great year to draft so high. We'll be gifted a top 10 talent by default. Edge rusher is a need but everyone below Chubb is a crapshoot. Drafting Davenport, Landry, or Key honestly scares me. I'd take any of Edmunds, Ward, Smith, Vita Vea, Da'Ron Payne or Jackson (even after his bad combine.)

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a great year to draft so high. We'll be gifted a top 10 talent by default. Edge rusher is a need but everyone below Chubb is a crapshoot. Drafting Davenport, Landry, or Key honestly scares me. I'd take any of Edmunds, Ward, Smith, Vita Vea, Da'Ron Payne or Jackson (even after his bad combine.)

There is just too many check marks checked with Landry to say no. Davenport and Key are going to be project guys. Edmunds, Ward, and Smith are obvious picks but none will probably fall to us. Vea and Payne are such Packer waste picks. I will be sorely disappointed if we come away from pick 14 with another stupid DL pick that will probably end up completely average. I am already worried enought that we pick Davenport who will probably be a huge bust as it is.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’d grab Gesicki (spelling) at 14. I know we need another pass rusher but imo TE is a bigger need. If you’re going to be stuck with a bunch of possession WRs? then having a TE who can dominate the middle of the field and be a matchup problem is crucial.

If the Packers can happen to get Ertz or Graham then I’d go corner or olb at 14 and really consider moving Perry to DE.

There's absolutely no reason for the Packers to select a tight end with the 14th pick let alone draft Gesicki who in my opinion isn't even worth a third round pick. While I would be excited if the team could acquire Zach Ertz there's no reason to believe the Eagles are interested in moving him.

As far players to move....I think Cobb should be packaged in a deal to acquire another draft pick. Keep Nelson and Clay. Cobb is expendable IMO.

It's really not that difficult to understand that no other team is interested in trading for Cobb considering he's due to make more than $9 million this season.

Members online

Latest posts