Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Agency:
Re-Sign: Richard Rodgers, Justin McCray, Jahri Evans, Quinton Dial
Cut: Randall Cobb and Bryan Bulaga
Restructure: Jordy Nelson and Clay Matthews
Extend: Aaron Rodgers
Trade: 2018 3rd round pick to Miami for Jarvis Landry
Sign: CB EJ Gaines / CB Aaron Colvin / LB Devon Kennard / LB Nigel Bradham / RT James Hurst / QB Josh McCown

Draft:
Major trade: Packers send 2018 1st, 2019 1st to Cleveland for 2018 #1 overall pick

Selections:
Rd1: RB Saquon Barkley
Rd2: LB Arden Key
Rd4: Packers trade Picks #114 and #133 to Cleveland for Pick #101 and select TE Mike Gesicki
RD5-7: O-Line (2), LB, DL, S

Outlook:
QB: Aaron Rodgers / Josh McCown
RB: Saquon Barkley / Jamaal Williams / Aaron Jones / Ty Montgomery
FB: Aaron Ripkowski
WR: Davante Adams / Jarvis Landry / Jordy Nelson / Geronimo Allison / Michael Clark
TE: Mike Gesicki / Richard Rodgers
LT: David Bakhtiari / Jason Spriggs
LG: Lane Taylor / Kofi Amichia / Draft Pick
C: Corey Linsley
RG: Justin McCray/Jahri Evans
RT: James Hurst / Kyle Murphy / Draft Pick

DE: Mike Daniels / Montravius Adams
DT: Kenny Clark / Quinton Dial
DE: Dean Lowry / Draft Pick
OLB: Clay Matthews / Devon Kennard
ILB: Nigel Bradham / Jake Ryan
ILB: Blake Martinez / Joe Thomas
OLB: Nick Perry / Arden Key / Vince Biegel
CB: Damarious Randall / Lenzy Pipkins
CB: EJ Gaines / Aaron Colvin
CB: Kevin King / Josh Hawkins
FS: HaHa Clinton-Dix / Kentrell Brice
SS: Josh Jones / Draft Pick

LS: Brett Goode
K: Mason Crosby
P: Justin Vogel

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting analysis. I'm not willing to trade the future yet for Barkley, I'd rather see how Jones and Williams wil work with Rodgers under helm an add a premier CB/LB/WR in the first round. Furthermore I'd rather restructure Cobb and cut Nelson, however this is way more difficult to accomplish then the other way around and we can' t afford to let both leave.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
few observations...
i think people throw around the term "restructure" way too readily
i think jarvis landry is overrated and would not cut cobb and then dump a draft pick to trade for landry
our first this year and next year is not enough for the browns #1
no thanks to cutting bulaga

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Landry will cost more than a third round pick plus you will never get Gesecki for the 101 pick in the draft. With his speed height and leaping abiliity he will now likely go in the top 40 picks.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
In an ideal world we would also trade a 2018 4th round pick for Gronk, but that is not going to happen. So a few things:
1. There is no way Barkley is around at pick #13
2.There is no way they cut Cobb because of his contract and pick up more to keep Jarvis Laundry for a year
3. Where is the money for all the free agent signings coming from after Rodgers becomes the highest paid player in NFL history?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In an ideal world we would also trade a 2018 4th round pick for Gronk, but that is not going to happen. So a few things:
1. There is no way Barkley is around at pick #13
2.There is no way they cut Cobb because of his contract and pick up more to keep Jarvis Laundry for a year
3. Where is the money for all the free agent signings coming from after Rodgers becomes the highest paid player in NFL history?
They are suggesting we trade up to #1 overall for Barkley. The issue is the cost would be far greater than just our #1 next year.

If this could be pulled off, I would be all for it. Barkley on this team = unstoppable offense.

No longer a Giesicki fan. We already knew he was fast, but i didn't like how he performed in field tests.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are suggesting we trade up to #1 overall for Barkley. The issue is the cost would be far greater than just our #1 next year.

If this could be pulled off, I would be all for it. Barkley on this team = unstoppable offense.

No longer a Giesicki fan. We already knew he was fast, but i didn't like how he performed in field tests.

Could you elaborate on Gisecki? I don't know what combine tests are really key for a TE.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One you run across the field catching passes from both directions. Hurst and Andrews looked smooth, caught the ball well and just looked comfortable. Giesicki and my guy, Dalton Schultz, ran slowly and looked awkward out there. Nerves? Maybe, but it seems to me the athletic ability (control) may be limited.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Packers are going to trade up, they should trade up to get Derwin James. Potentially as good as Jalen Ramsey (in different ways) because he's huge but still quick enough to cover slot receivers (which he did in college). As a Gators fan it kills me to nominate a Seminole but James is 6'3", 215lbs and, as an added bonus, was actually a very good pass rusher in college (not just timing blitzes but legit beating offensive tackles one-on-one). Draft James and you get a guy with elite linebacker and safety skills. Can cover TEs, WRs, stop the run, and rush the passer...he'd be a terrific addition and make a tremendous improvement to the defense.

OP
OP
B

Born Sinner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this was just to throw some ideas out there. The thing with Barkley is that it gives our offense an entirely different attack. Barkley, just like Rodgers, can make everyone better around him. Our defense will benefit as well, practicing against an RB of his talent. A Rodgers/Barkley duo could end up being the greatest Pass/Run duo in the history of the NFL. Rodgers can pass/run and Barkley can run/catch.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Packers are going to trade up, they should trade up to get Derwin James. Potentially as good as Jalen Ramsey (in different ways) because he's huge but still quick enough to cover slot receivers (which he did in college). As a Gators fan it kills me to nominate a Seminole but James is 6'3", 215lbs and, as an added bonus, was actually a very good pass rusher in college (not just timing blitzes but legit beating offensive tackles one-on-one). Draft James and you get a guy with elite linebacker and safety skills. Can cover TEs, WRs, stop the run, and rush the passer...he'd be a terrific addition and make a tremendous improvement to the defense.
James should be there at 14, we might trade up for the Ohio St. cb though.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on values, Packers could offer #1 2018, #1 2019, #1 2020, #2 2018 and #3 2018 and still might not be enough.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this was just to throw some ideas out there. The thing with Barkley is that it gives our offense an entirely different attack. Barkley, just like Rodgers, can make everyone better around him. Our defense will benefit as well, practicing against an RB of his talent. A Rodgers/Barkley duo could end up being the greatest Pass/Run duo in the history of the NFL. Rodgers can pass/run and Barkley can run/catch.
Moot point. Cleveland is taking him #1. It would cost too much to move up there. Barkley is the best RB to come out since . . .? Not even sure. I really liked Thomlinson. Rarely does a player with as much hype as Barkley go to the combine and looks even better than expected.

He would definitely make a huge impact on our team as you say.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be great but no way half of this happens. I'd rather use early picks on Defense. Arden Key would be amazing in the 2nd but I don't think he drops. I'm all in on Derwin James! Guy is an athletic freak who would sure up the back end. I also would love Josh Jackson or Ward. If not, the draft is loaded with DB's so draft BPA in the first. Edmunds, Vita Vea, or Roquan Smith would be great additions. I'm not sure about Mohomad Wilkerson but I love that the Pack will be active with bringing in free agent vets to help on D!!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Barkley, but trading this years first and next years to get him would be absolutely awful. He's a RB. Don't overvalue them.

Plus, the Browns wouldn't do it. They'd need a lot better package. Bad on both fronts.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wanting Josh Jackson, Tremaine Edmonds, James, or maybe Davenport at 14 pre combine. I'm pulling back on Jackson not as fast as some others and wasn't as fluid as many others (according to Deion) he is a ball hawk though. I really like Edmonds, it will all depend what we do in free agency though.

D

Deleted member 6794

i think jarvis landry is overrated and would not cut cobb and then dump a draft pick to trade for landry

Landry would definitely be an upgrade over Cobb. The Packers would have to sign him to a long-term contract to make it work. In addition the Dolphins are definitely asking for more than a third round pick in return for him.

Where is the money for all the free agent signings coming from after Rodgers becomes the highest paid player in NFL history?

Once again, there's a way to structure Rodgers' extension without increasing his cap hit over the next two seasons.

I highly doubt Derwin James will still be on the board at #14.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Honestly, I'd prefer James. The guy is basically a far more athletic Landon Collins. Just saw someone on Twitter posted his web chart after the Combine and, athletically, he's insane. You want a guy that can hold up against the quick passing game that modern offenses love then this guy will do that. I'm not trying to say that Ward isn't a good player, I just think Derwin James is a more flexible player positionally and, with offenses today loving to create mismatches everywhere, James could be an invaluable piece to play all over the place.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d grab Gesicki (spelling) at 14. I know we need another pass rusher but imo TE is a bigger need. If you’re going to be stuck with a bunch of possession WRs? then having a TE who can dominate the middle of the field and be a matchup problem is crucial.

If the Packers can happen to get Ertz or Graham then I’d go corner or olb at 14 and really consider moving Perry to DE.

I say if they cut anyone then it has to be Bulaga and Jordy. I know we all love Jordy....but you get so much more value out of Cobb if you let him return kicks, And punts. But if MM stops Being an idiot and makes the right call to move Montgomery back to wr then I can live with them letting Cobb go because Monty can do everything Cobb can do at a waaaay cheaper price tag. The guy is injury prone tho

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gesicki's tape isn't worth the #14 pick. I know he tested amazingly, but no thanks at 14.

Just want to remind you all, trading up to the #1 slot to take a RB is mind numbingly stupid, but not as stupid as thinking that our 1st and next years 1st would be enough to get the #1 pick. This isn't Madden guys.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just want to remind you all, trading up to the #1 slot to take a RB is mind numbingly stupid, but not as stupid as thinking that our 1st and next years 1st would be enough to get the #1 pick. This isn't Madden guys.

Agreed on moving up from 14 to 1....it would take a king's ransom, despite Cleveland also having the #4 pick. Just going off the "trade chart" the value of the 14th, 15th and 16th picks combined (3150) are considered close to being equal to the #1 pick (3000).

I don't even think moving up to the #4 pick would cost less than our #1, #2 and #3 picks. As much as I like Barkley, I wouldn't be willing to give up that much draft stock to get 1 guy.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts