Post-Combine Mock Draft/Free Agency

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is just too many check marks checked with Landry to say no. Davenport and Key are going to be project guys. Edmunds, Ward, and Smith are obvious picks but none will probably fall to us. Vea and Payne are such Packer waste picks. I will be sorely disappointed if we come away from pick 14 with another stupid DL pick that will probably end up completely average. I am already worried enought that we pick Davenport who will probably be a huge bust as it is.
Don't get me wrong. I think We are stout at DT and we have other holes to fill. There are just to many unknowns with Davenport and Key and I feel that Landry is all speed with nothing else. Vea Is a beast. 347lbs and ran a 5.1 and put up 41 reps on bench. Payne ran a sub 5 and played lights out against elite competition weekly. These two are far from a waste of a pick and would make for a nasty rotation with Daniels, Clark, and Martavius. I'd love for one of the DB's or LB's to slide but if not, take the sure thing and pass on the other three.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't get me wrong. I think We are stout at DT and we have other holes to fill. There are just to many unknowns with Davenport and Key and I feel that Landry is all speed with nothing else.

I agree that it would be risky to draft Davenport or Key but Landry is most likely the best edge rusher in the draft and with the Packers in desperate need of an upgrade there should definitely pull the trigger on him if he's still on the board at #14.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If there gonna force a square peg down a round hole and go edge at 14 I would hope they get Landry. He is the most fluid and moves the best of the group and is the most finished product at this stage.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there gonna force a square peg down a round hole and go edge at 14 I would hope they get Landry. He is the most fluid and moves the best of the group and is the most finished product at this stage.

How it forcing a square peg down a round hole?

We have a need at edge and Landry is a good edge. Are you sure you have your shapes figured out?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
How it forcing a square peg down a round hole?

We have a need at edge and Landry is a good edge. Are you sure you have your shapes figured out?

Because while I believe Landry will be the best edge player available at 14 I'm not convinced he will be the best player available at 14. I like Landry a lot as an edge rusher and believe he will be okay in space and in coverage.

My concern with him is setting the edge and holding up there.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because while I believe Landry will be the best edge player available at 14 I'm not convinced he will be the best player available at 14. I like Landry a lot as an edge rusher and believe he will be okay in space and in coverage.

My concern with him is setting the edge and holding up there.

Fair enough. I don't disagree with your analysis of him, tbh. Coverage I don't worry about. He'll drop into coverage maybe 50 times a year. Meh.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it would be risky to draft Davenport or Key but Landry is most likely the best edge rusher in the draft and with the Packers in desperate need of an upgrade there should definitely pull the trigger on him if he's still on the board at #14.
I hope your right if he does end up being the pick. I miss the days of having a Reggie, Gbaja-biamila, and Kampman reeking Havoc off the edge. Just wish this class had better prospects. We won't be drafting this high next season so I'd rather get a DT who Many consider perennial probowl talents than to settle for the best pure rusher in a week class.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope your right if he does end up being the pick. I miss the days of having a Reggie, Gbaja-biamila, and Kampman reeking Havoc off the edge. Just wish this class had better prospects. We won't be drafting this high next season so I'd rather get a DT who Many consider perennial probowl talents than to settle for the best pure rusher in a week class.

Draft Derwin James and let him play the Kam Chancellor role in the defense but let him rush the passer from almost an ILB position. He's already very good at rushing the passer and could provide a good boost to the pass rush not only rushing the QB but also by shutting down those quick passes that QBs today use to prevent pressure.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft Derwin James and let him play the Kam Chancellor role in the defense but let him rush the passer from almost an ILB position. He's already very good at rushing the passer and could provide a good boost to the pass rush not only rushing the QB but also by shutting down those quick passes that QBs today use to prevent pressure.

probably wont make it out of the top 10.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probably wont make it out of the top 10.

If be surprised if he goes in the top 10. After that who knows. Could be gone by 12.... Could be on the board at 20. He's been pretty hard to get a read on where he goes

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is just too many check marks checked with Landry to say no. Davenport and Key are going to be project guys. Edmunds, Ward, and Smith are obvious picks but none will probably fall to us. Vea and Payne are such Packer waste picks. I will be sorely disappointed if we come away from pick 14 with another stupid DL pick that will probably end up completely average. I am already worried enought that we pick Davenport who will probably be a huge bust as it is.

I'm just curious as to why you think it would be a wasted pick? I know nothing about most of these players so I depend on you guys to edumacate me. Do you think it would be a wasted pick because you don't think they are going to amount to much or because we do not need help at the position. I know you sort of explained it but since a lot of people are predicting good things from Vea and Payne I'd like to know why you don' think they will be more than average.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If be surprised if he goes in the top 10. After that who knows. Could be gone by 12.... Could be on the board at 20. He's been pretty hard to get a read on where he goes

i think its fair to say 2 teams need safeties before us and im believing the run of qbs wont be as hot as we would like.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to why you think it would be a wasted pick? I know nothing about most of these players so I depend on you guys to edumacate me. Do you think it would be a wasted pick because you don't think they are going to amount to much or because we do not need help at the position. I know you sort of explained it but since a lot of people are predicting good things from Vea and Payne I'd like to know why you don' think they will be more than average.

not really too big on our dt picks from all these years as is and now we are in a yesr where dt is least of our problems. pretty wasted pick to me unless you think we fix a lot of other problems with the other 11 picks and fa and vea is a pro bowler this season.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think its fair to say 2 teams need safeties before us and im believing the run of qbs wont be as hot as we would like.

Well he's not the top rated Saftey in the draft so u just need one other team to go a different direction and I don't see any way at least 4 QBs don't go top ten.

Like I said. He's been a hard guy to get a read on where he'll go

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he's not the top rated Saftey in the draft so u just need one other team to go a different direction and I don't see any way at least 4 QBs don't go top ten.

Like I said. He's been a hard guy to get a read on where he'll go

Tough to say. Either a first round guy or not...

Reaction score
Seeing the interest in Wilkerson sends a signal IMO. It sais that one direction Pettine is thinking is in adding superior talent to the D Line, of course the obvious is it gives us a few more sacks upfront and some better short yardage D packages. But I think the indirect effect is that it takes focus off of other players to get after the QB. Previously, an opposing Defense would concentrate on blocking Big Mike with double teams. But in this case, it would be awful hard to double team Big Mike with Kenny Clark working next to him, then Mo Wilkerson and bringing up Perry or Lowry in various packages and working on the front line in unison, add to that CM3 and a guy like Derwin James (please Lord) coming off opposite edges on a Blitz? and that's a load to handle for even an experienced Offensive unit.

My contention has always been to combine that type scenario with more man to man full court press of the LOS because no QB is going to have all day to pick us apart on a regular basis like we've all witnessed in the recent past. Throws are going to have to become more often anticipated, therefore disturbing timing on the WR route tree is as crucial as anything
I'd keep Martinez as a lateral spy on obvious passing downs and he has the quickness to cover in the open field a QB who decides to run for it (not to mention he's a punishing type tackler)

There would be a lot of scrambling going on in the pocket (thank you Russell) and the QB not having a clear running lane and hesitating one more second would be detrimental to his health.
You have to be a QB pocket tone setter in this day of West Coast style football. We can no longer afford to play latter day "AJ Hawk" style football and play off our heals backpeddling in anticipation. Disturbing the QB's timing is paramount, particularly early in the contest and in the last 5 minutes or so.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quote from Micheal Rodney of www.packersnotes.com;

"Schneider and Dorsey are wheeling and dealing. I sure hope the Packers didn't get the one Ron Wolf disciple who's more like Ted."

Heh.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts