Favre versus Romo

favrefourevre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we've been hearing it all year... Romo is a young Brett Favre, Favre is a young Tony Romo (puke), of course, we all knew Favre is 10 times the QB that Romo is and ever will be, and that was shown yesterday. However, there are two similarities I can think of. They both like to let go of the ball when holding for kicks, and neither has won a playoff game in Dallas.

CowboysFan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should charge money since you can see the future. Anyways Romo is by far no Brett Favre that is a given. But to say he will never amount to it is pretty ballsy.

OP
OP
favrefourevre

favrefourevre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo has the supporting cast around him right now that Favre never really had until now, and he still couldn't do anything with it. I wouldn't exactly call it a ballsy prediction, since 99% of the other QB's who have ever played this game weren't/aren't/won't be 10 times the QB that Favre is.

CowboysFan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo has the supporting cast around him right now that Favre never really had until now, and he still couldn't do anything with it. I wouldn't exactly call it a ballsy prediction, since 99% of the other QB's who have ever played this game weren't/aren't/won't be 10 times the QB that Favre is.
If you watched the game you would of saw that there was about 10 drops. Not much Romo can do when they drop the ball. I see where you are coming from but right now in Romo's first full season as a starter he did great. Peyton didn't win the big one till last year. It happens.

Also when they compared Romo to Favre they were talking about the styles. Romo is a gunslinger like Favre I don't think for a second they were comparing there stats, experience or greatness.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Romo. However I was dissapointed in how he acted in the second half. Crying to the refs and yelling at his line (although they did fold like a poorly made lawn chair). A leader knows how to inspire, not just *****.

He has a great head and instinct for the game. I think he could be a good QB for a long time. He, like Favre, is fun to watch.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Romo is a good QB, and might end up a very good QB.

I can see SOME Favre comparisons just in the way he keeps plays alive, but the people who were saying he's the next Favre or is a young Favre were going way overboard. I'm not criticizing Romo, I'm saying that is premature and exaggerated.

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a bunch of BS putting Tony Friggin Romo/Simpson as the 2nd best QB in the league when he has the argueably the best OL, WR, TE in the league and the "Barbarian" and can sit in the pocket for what seems like all day to thow the ball. I just knew if he ever had to face a LITTLE pressure he would fold like a lawn chair. In the immortal words of Denny Green "he was what we thought he was!" A crying little ***** that choked when the game was on the line. IMHO his nickname should be "ONE AND DONE" Can we please please take the crown off his *** till he does something other that rack up huge stats against weak teams!

Also, congrats to Eli

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are talking the gunslinging I would agree they are quite similar for good and for ill. There is one huge difference which is the way that Brett plays the game. The youthful nature and excitement which he plays the game is something that is rare in any pro athlete and we are all blessed that he is one of our own.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a bunch of BS putting Tony Friggin Romo/Simpson as the 2nd best QB in the league when he has the argueably the best OL, WR, TE in the league and the "Barbarian" and can sit in the pocket for what seems like all day to thow the ball. I just knew if he ever had to face a LITTLE pressure he would fold like a lawn chair. In the immortal words of Denny Green "he was what we thought he was!" A crying little ***** that choked when the game was on the line. IMHO his nickname should be "ONE AND DONE" Can we please please take the crown off his *** till he does something other that rack up huge stats against weak teams!

Also, congrats to Eli

Fo shizzle!

I was saying exactly this to my co-worker here who's convinced Romo's better than Favre. I told him to take away his OL, which gives him 6 full seconds, and see how good he is. My gosh, give ANYONE 6 full seconds to find an open receiver and they will.

Not only does he have the best OL in the NFL, he has the #2 best WR and one of the best TEs. Geez, people, give some credit to the supporting cast. So, he picked up a fumble once and ran it for a first down. Wow! Amazing! Incredible! He's just like Brett Favre! I can't believe he did that! I'm so impressed! Like, Omigod!

Romo is good. I won't argue that. The true test will come in time when he no longer has the NFL best OL to throw behind. After taking some nasty hits, like most QBs have to deal with on a weekly basis, we'll see if he's still a top tier QB or not. I'm not at all saying he isn't. I'm just saying "we'll see."

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never been a Romo supporter, but I dont have anything wrong with the guy. He is a good quarterback (and will get better), but a Brett Favre he will never be.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also, congrats to Eli

Man that was an awesome comment, and true. You wanna compare Romo to Favre?? Then you have to watch favre in his early years. 1993-1998. Otherwise its like comparing michael jordan @ 40 years old to Kobe @ 26 yrs old. Just not a fair comparison. Favre was a beast in his mid 20's. I forgot until last night when i watched the 1997 season superbowl. He could not be tackled, he had better escapability in the pocket than any qb i've ever seen. He had a cannon for an arm and made the big play all the time and allways lifted his team over obstacles.

All that without a great O-line, without T.O. and without all the weapons like Manning & Brady have. Hey, those guys are good, but to say they are better than Favre was is just ignorant. Romo has done none of that.

BadKarma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey! As a Steeler fan I about throw up in my mouth every time some sportscaster "Idiot" titles Romo as the next Favre,or worse says,"Look at that pass! Very 'Favre like' every time he raises his arm or puts toast in the toaster. "....... I think it is an insult to Great Players like Favre and to the rich History and Legacy of NFL.

We as football fans of ALL teams have a rich history to preserve as Football fans. To cheapen it by equating every new player to a great player of present or past is INSULTING and WRONG! It becomes a soap opera mentality when we lower ourselves to such blathering hyperbole.

Make no mistake,this subject really ticks me off. Maybe I'm just an old fogey at 47, but words are still important to me. Words like tenacity and honesty and the meanings behind them are still important to me. Playing through pain and injury is a mark of a great player. I dare ANY current player to match Favres work ethic and performance.

Current cheating scandals also disgust me. I dont care how good the team is... cheating is still cheating and therefore anything done AFTER cheating is also subject to the hated *asterisk*.

Now I see myself going off on a tangent,better shut up now.

Rant over. (for at least a few minutes anyways.) :lol:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I appreciate having Brett Favre playing for my team, I've never gotten into this business of discrediting the other good QB's in the league. It's true that Romo played behind a very good O-line, but they didn't look so hot when they were protecting Vinny Testaverde, did they? I wonder why that is.

Romo has some of Favre's style and moxie, and he's a very good young QB. Of course it's silly to compare him to Favre in terms of what he could accomplish. But not too many people are doing that yet. Romo made a few bad decisions in the loss to the Giants, but he wasn't the main reason his team lost that game. I think Romo will be a good QB for awhile, and he could still improve.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to compare the two, you have to compare Favre in 92 or 93, whichever you consider his first full season. Remember he was benched for Brunell a time or two. That said, it's stupid to compare them in the first place for now.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I just skimmed a couple of the Romo comparison's to Favre on the net... most article's compare Romo of today to a young Favre.. which in style and always trying to make the big play is valid.

I don't think the intention is to compare them side by side currently.. Romo hasn't proven he can win when it counts yet.. but think back to early Favre, with him at the helm it took a couple of years to win the big one in the playoffs.. sound familar?

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to compare the two, you have to compare Favre in 92 or 93, whichever you consider his first full season. Remember he was benched for Brunell a time or two.

That never happened. Favre has never been benched in GB.

Brunell played in two games for the Packers. Both were in 1994. The first was due to injury vs the Vikings, the second was mop-up duty in a blowout victory over Detroit.

There was a movement in the assistant coaching ranks to go with Brunell, but Holmgren refused, gave Brett a vote of full confidence, and then Brett won his three consecutive MVPs. Sports Illustrated had a big article about that stuff sometime around 95-97.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't say never - I caught some of SB 32 last night and that team was a MACHINE!

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Romo is good. But I would put him on par with say a young Phil Simms. Good young QB with outstanding cast.

olpete

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of Favre in Romo. Some of the sidearm throws, the scrambling, et cetera. One difference that Tony Romeo can't do nuthin' about is hand size. Favre is a big wookie. Watch the spread of his hands on a football. Yipes. In Romo's case, there is a good chance he's got a bad thumb. Because of all the Favrefest, Romo can't go 'gee i'm struggling with my grip' or anything like that. Combine that with smaller hands and it probably explains some of those fluttering balls he threw.

You can tell Favre is the gold standard because the comparison happens a lot. I remember in 2003 there was a Seahawks fan obsessed with breaking down the statistics to prove that Hasselbeck was another Favre.

Just that last game, Favre was crazy. Forget about the scramble play - the rainbow was sweet. The media is blathering endlessly because the prissy girafe, Brady, can hit receivers after standing unpressured in a pocket for 5, 6 or even seven seconds or longer. Fricikin' Cleo Lemon could do that. What about the snowglobe game? First throw to Grant was a little behind him. I remember drops by Martin and Jones. I believe that leaves three throws I can't recall. Were there any errant ones?

Its all good though. Just keep telling Brady he is the most awesome ever. Tell him making poor throws to Moss that he snags anyways makes him the greatest ever.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Favre is a big wookie", lol!

Favre does have freakishly big and strong hands, another one of his innate gifts for playing QB. This is even more valuable when you play outdoors in a rough climate.

Members online

Latest posts