Favre retirement would provide salary-cap windfall

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Zero2Cool said:
I think he spent more than a dime on Charles Woodson, Aaron Kampman and Donald Driver.

Resigning your guys don't count. :kickcan:

I think if GB has another off season like he did last but instead of overhauling the defense getting at least one legit offensive target we'll be pretty good next year assuming Favre returns.

But why waste $$$ on signing a legit FA target Porky, if we don't know if Favre is going to retire...especially on one that Aaron Rodgers may not be able to control in the locker room..???

Pretty soon starts the hostage talk...wait for it. :kickcan:

/being porky

Why? Because whether you have Brett or Aarond or someone else you will need those players to WIN. That's why.

/done being porky

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
I think he spent more than a dime on Charles Woodson, Aaron Kampman and Donald Driver.

Resigning your guys don't count. :kickcan:

Signing your own guys does count!! The Kampmann signing was excellent burning the cap room when he had it but not using much in future years. Likewise the Scott Wells deal was good for both the player(lots of money now) and good for the team(little long term cost).

Woodson's deal is is really two tiered. It is very expensive after the third year. I expect him to only be with the Packers through the 09 season and be cut before the 2010 season at the latest. Look for a top notch CB to be drafted BTW.

So this off season is one in which the Packers are in very good cap shape.

1. Cullen Jenkins is a priority but as a restricted free agent the Packers have the right to match any offer. As the Packers are financially able to give him a Kampmann/Wells type deal, they can match or all but a ridiculous offer. This is not too worrisome and Jenkins will not instantly become lazy or unproductive. 5-7 million in 07 but little in later years.

2. Ahman Green will be looking at likely a similar deal as 2006. Incentive heavy. 06 incentives come out of the 07 money as they were in the "not likely to be earned" definition used by NFL(not made the previous year) the 07 incentive are "likely to be earned" and so they will come out of the 2007 cap. That makes the cap hit in 07 a bit more expensive than fans expect, 5-6 million.

3. Unrestricted free agents Donald Lee, Kendrick Allen(?), Ben Taylor(?), Rob Davis should average at the most 1 million each on the high side.

4. Exclusive rights free agents Cole, Holliday, and Herron should cost around 500K each. They can't sign elsewhere unless cut. No problem. One of them is likely to get cut.

5. Signing the draft picks will cost about 4-5 million.

After all that, the Packers will still have 7 million or more to work with for other free agents. More if Jenkins has more of a traditional contract. Few big name high priced veterans are out there. So there should be money for a Barnett extension during the season.

If Brett's cap 11 million number is not spent, cap money will have to be extended into the 08 cap with accounting gimmicks and tricks.

These are the good days of the salary cap. 2009 and 2010 will far worse.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true we need a tight end........but if we don't have someone decent to THROW to him, it won't help that much.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It's true we need a tight end........but if we don't have someone decent to THROW to him, it won't help that much.

HELLO! We have people who can throw!

Brett Favre
Todd Bouman
Aaron Rodgers
Ingle Martin
Carlyle Holiday
Bubba Franks

What more could you ask for? :)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Brett Favre
Todd Bouman
Aaron Rodgers
Ingle Martin
Carlyle Holiday
Bubba Franks

:chalflag: I meant someone that can throw WELL! LOLOL!!! :thumbsup:

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre retires (Dear lord please let him stay one more year...going into the season knowing that this will be it, so that the team can prepare) the number one FA signing better be a QB. The OL has gotten better (yes there's more room for improvement) but another zoneblock veteran available would be a good pick up. The TE positon is tough due to the development of the OL. Franks was used most of the season as a blocker. I'm sure this caused mucho rust in the receiving aspect of the position. Let's face it, we always had one to two less receivers on the field on any given play to protect Favre and buy some time. This being said I think it will be difficult to find a TE that can block and run routes. If Favre does indeed come back, we still have plenty of room to get it done and make a run at it. We're not that far off.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:

Brett Favre
Todd Bouman
Aaron Rodgers
Ingle Martin
Carlyle Holiday
Bubba Franks

:chalflag: I meant someone that can throw WELL! LOLOL!!! :thumbsup:

Bubba has an exceptional completion percentage, QB Rating his WAY up there and his average per pass is very very good!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer News at the Green Bay Gazette seems to think along the same lines as far as Jenkins contract.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070117/PKR01/701170560/1989

One sign of how much contracts are escalating is the deal Cincinnati defensive end Robert Geathers signed last week.

Geathers, who like Jenkins was scheduled to be a restricted free agent this offseason, is coming off a breakout season in which he had 10½ sacks after getting 3½ as a rookie in 2004 and three in 2005.

He recently signed a six-year deal that included $12.5 million in guaranteed bonuses, is worth $19 million over the first three years and anywhere from $30.76 million to $33.7 million over the length of the contract, depending on the incentives he earns.

Jenkins hasn't shown Geathers' kind of game-changing pass-rush skill as a defensive end – he recorded 6½ sacks -- so that $12.5 million likely is a higher bonus than Jenkins is in line for, but it illustrates how salaries are escalating.

19 million over 3 years is a bit high but the real key is having the cap room to pay roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses.