Favre may skip next weeks minicamps..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
If he is healthy enough to host his golf event this weekend... I am not sure why he can't attend this mini-camp and learn of the adjustments.

Maybe he figures he has the rest of the offseason to learn the adjustments. Thoughts?

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070511/PKR01/70511221/1989

Favre may skip next week's minicamp

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Brett Favre’s surgically repaired left ankle isn’t strong enough for him to take part in the Green Bay Packers’ minicamp next weekend, and it’s unclear whether he’ll attend it.

When Favre and coach Mike McCarthy set the quarterback’s offseason schedule, which included his attending this minicamp, it was before he’d decided to have surgery Feb. 26 to remove bone spurs from his left ankle.

McCarthy this week said he’s expecting Favre to attend the mandatory minicamp, but a source close to Favre told the Press-Gazette that Favre, 37, isn’t planning on coming because he can’t practice and would rather work at home with a personal trainer to rehabilitate the ankle and get into top shape.

Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, said he’s unsure of his client’s plans.

“I don’t know if he is or he isn’t (going to attend),” Cook said.

The Packers will hold their mandatory minicamp Friday, May 18, through Sunday, May 20, and there’s always a chance Favre will change his mind and attend the minicamp after talking to McCarthy again. Theoretically, the Packers could require Favre’s attendance and fine him a maximum of $8,000 a day if he chose not to come, though such a stalemate with the team’s franchise player seems unlikely.

McCarthy said he has spoken with Favre since the NFL draft in late April but that they didn’t discuss the minicamp.

“The last time I talked to (Favre) about minicamp, he was going to be here,” McCarthy said. “So if something’s changed, I’m not aware of it.”

The Packers’ medical staff had been recommending Favre have the bone spurs removed each of the last several offseasons, but he put it off until this winter, after telling the Packers he was returning for his 17th NFL season.

He’s been rehabilitating the ankle and using the same core-training program he did two years ago in Hattiesburg, Miss., with the same personal trainer who visited and worked with him then.

McCarthy said Favre must go through a final phase of rehabilitation before he’s ready to participate in a practice setting, but he’s hoping Favre will be ready for a good portion of the organized team activities scheduled for late May and the first three weeks of June.

“We’ll know more once the (team) doctors get their hands on him,” McCarthy said. “I’d like him to work through the OTAs because of all the things we’re adjusting with our scheme. With him having the opportunity to go through it, that’s his most important time, the OTAs.”

Life goes on without Moss

This has been a difficult offseason for Favre, who is hosting his annual charity golf tournament and concert this weekend in Mississippi.

He's watched as General Manager Ted Thompson has stuck with a methodical rebuilding plan rather than adding immediate major help on offense for what could be Favre’s final NFL season.

Favre is known to have lobbied hard for Thompson to trade for Randy Moss and been disappointed on draft weekend when the talks with Oakland fell through and Moss went to the New England Patriots for a fourth-round draft pick. Favre and Moss have a friendship through Cook, Moss’ former agent, who remains a close adviser to the talented but moody receiver.

There appear to be a couple of factors that blocked a deal with the Packers.

The Packers went into the draft weekend insisting that Moss take part of his $3 million salary in $50,000 weekly roster bonuses contingent upon him playing that week, which Moss rejected. Also, though the timing of New England’s entering the bidding over the draft weekend is unclear, Thompson appeared unwilling to give up more than a fifth-round draft pick for a player he thought he’d have for only one year.

Favre had been in regular contact with Moss and was hoping the deal would provide him with a weapon that could immediately improve an offense that finished 22nd in the NFL in scoring last season.

“Obviously (Favre) would have liked to see Randy up there, he’s a heck of a receiver,” Cook said. “He thinks (Moss) would have been complementary to Donald (Driver) and the other receivers and the whole offense would have added an extra dimension. But it didn’t work out.”

Rodgers will be limited, too

Regardless of whether Favre attends the minicamp, he won’t practice, and backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers also will be limited because of his recovery from surgery last year on his broken left foot. Rodgers began participating in McCarthy’s quarterbacks school only last week. The four-day-a-week offseason workouts began March 19.

McCarthy said that early next week, he’ll meet with the team’s medical staff to determine how much of a workload Rodgers will have at minicamp. Barring a setback, Rodgers should be ready for full participation for most or all of the OTAs.

“The running around part of it I don’t think is a concern,” McCarthy said. “It’s just that he’s in the final stage of his rehab. (Limiting him in minicamp) is clearly a caution and maybe giving him that extra two or three weeks (of healing).”

With Favre out and Rodgers limited, No. 3 quarterback Ingle Martin will get extensive work, especially with the No. 1 offense. Undrafted rookie Jerry Babb will get a large dose of playing time as well.

Martin, a fifth-round pick last year, is going through McCarthy’s offseason workout program for the first time and has had extensive one-on-one tutoring with quarterbacks coach Tom Clements.

“What happens with a lot of guys that come out of college, they don’t realize the type of shape they need to get into to play in a system, particularly (one) that asks you to move a lot,” McCarthy said. “I think he’s done a very good job in the weight room getting his body in better shape.

“If you watch the quarterback-school drill tapes from Day One to now, he’s throwing the ball a lot better, he’s done a lot better with the corrections we’ve made in his footwork and some of his mechanics. He’s progressed very nicely. But once again he has to take that to the practice environment and eventually to the game environment.”

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It's Brett's way of rebelling against Ted for not doing enough during the Off-Season. Don't let the other dialogue confuse you!!!

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
LOL... I wasn't going to say it.. since earlier today it was concluded that there is no issue with Favre and Ted. So I will stick to face value... the PR statement of "Staying home to train and be in the best shape possible for the upcomming season". :thumbsup:

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just another example of WEAK leadership that began when Sherman replaced Holmgren and continues on... Would this happen if Parcells was our coach? Could you imagine Brett not showing up when Holmgren was leading the Pack?

Favre is a prima donna. Even though the organization is going to let him be absent, he should thrust it upon himself to be a LEADER BY EXAMPLE and show up whether he is 100%, or not.

This type of stuff is an incredibly sore subject with me and one of the many reasons I no longer respect Brett Favre and wonder why so many continue to admire a guy who abuses his status.

I know... it isn't definite that he won't be there. This guy SHOULD be doing everything a true leader would do. I suppose he's just going to train "down on the farm" in Hattiesburg again this year? It really is sad. If he was anyone else...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
That's just another example of WEAK leadership that began when Sherman replaced Holmgren and continues on... Would this happen if Parcells was our coach? Could you imagine Brett not showing up when Holmgren was leading the Pack?

Favre is a prima donna. Even though the organization is going to let him be absent, he should thrust it upon himself to be a LEADER BY EXAMPLE and show up whether he is 100%, or not.

This type of stuff is an incredibly sore subject with me and one of the many reasons I no longer respect Brett Favre and wonder why so many continue to admire a guy who abuses his status.

I know... it isn't definite that he won't be there. This guy SHOULD be doing everything a true leader would do. I suppose he's just going to train "down on the farm" in Hattiesburg again this year? It really is sad. If he was anyone else...

It all boils down to the final game of the season (they realize the Bears rolled over for them and now they are disappointed) and of course who can neglect the obvious hatred of Brett towards GM Ted Thompson.

Unbelievable! I can't believe I trusted the facts instead of speculation. I'm switching over to the dark side, the REAL side, the OBJECTIVE side.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If he is healthy enough to host his golf event this weekend... I am not sure why he can't attend this mini-camp and learn of the adjustments.

Maybe he figures he has the rest of the offseason to learn the adjustments. Thoughts?

hah jus caught this

Golf is considered the old white mans sport. NFL minicamp has never been spoke of as the old white mans sport lol

Golf, no running, no hitting, just swinging a club
Minicamp, running and we dont even need to continue further lol

:kickcan: :kickcan: :kickcan: :kickcan: :kickcan: :kickcan: :kickcan: :kickcan: :kickcan:

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When has Favre run in the last 5 years? He wouldn't have to worry about running in mini-camp.

Our organization should say... Hey Brett... You likin' that 12 million dollar a year salary for this year? Gee, uh, why don't you know, uh, show up to a team function? After all, you're supposedly this great leader and are supposed to be setting the example for all the young guys.... Actually, they should say...GET YOUR BLANKING BLANK TO THIS MINICAMP. THERE IS NO EXCUSE NOT TO BE THERE.

Trying to get Favre fans to acknowledge how flawed he is, is like explaining colors to people who have been blind since birth. I think I need to go rent, "Mask" and learn the ways of Rocky Dennis. The miracle worker who taught Helen Keller couldn't teach you guys.

Favre is a piece of crap in my book for taking advantage of his status the way he has over the last few years. No person of any type of character would ever do that. Nice commitment and example, Brett.

Please, change your mind and do this organization a favor and permanently retire. You've been half retired the last few years. It shows in your preparation, and your horrendous decision making on the field. Perhaps, if you had taken preparation seriously, you might have seen another season of greater than 8-8 before even you realize it's over.

The good news is you have untold thousands of gullible fans that believe in the myth that you're a great leader. You can continue to fool them because they'll never be able to see you for who you really are. You gave them a SuperBowl title and 3 MVP's. They're all drunk on what you did years ago and refuse to sober up. Classy guy Brett. Classy.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL

Wow someone's bitter

If you consider Brett's absences from mini camps and other things a reason to with hold your respect for a guy, thats ridiculous. Brett has the right to do whatever the hell he wants, and if you're thinking he abuses his status, then I just gotta ask you if you've been around to see every goof in the NFL run their mouth and demand things when they're nobody. After all these years, I think we can throw him a bone or two

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion on this.

Brett's coming back to break records and compete. I think he began to throw out all expectations 3 years ago when he was throwing the ball to Taco Wallace and Jamaal Jones. Brett's getting all he can from the game. If Brett plays FLAWLESSLY this team is still likely to finish average, IMO.

Brett will play every game to win, thats the only way he knows how. However, I don't think Brett is going to go out of his way to show up at minicamp.

I don't think Brett is naive enough to look at the team around him and actually think they have a shot in the dark at winning a Super Bowl. If this team was further along in this silly "rebuilding" process or even if we had an NFL calibur RB on the roster perhaps Brett might show up.

I for one look forward to Brett breaking the records. I don't see a whole helluva lot more to be excited about. It has nothing to do with Brett being bigger than the team as I will still hold that outside hope they may compete. I just don't think this team is anywhere NEAR close enough to make any noise.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When has Favre run in the last 5 years? He wouldn't have to worry about running in mini-camp.

Our organization should say... Hey Brett... You likin' that 12 million dollar a year salary for this year? Gee, uh, why don't you know, uh, show up to a team function? After all, you're supposedly this great leader and are supposed to be setting the example for all the young guys.... Actually, they should say...GET YOUR BLANKING BLANK TO THIS MINICAMP. THERE IS NO EXCUSE NOT TO BE THERE.

Trying to get Favre fans to acknowledge how flawed he is, is like explaining colors to people who have been blind since birth. I think I need to go rent, "Mask" and learn the ways of Rocky Dennis. The miracle worker who taught Helen Keller couldn't teach you guys.

Favre is a piece of crap in my book for taking advantage of his status the way he has over the last few years. No person of any type of character would ever do that. Nice commitment and example, Brett.

Please, change your mind and do this organization a favor and permanently retire. You've been half retired the last few years. It shows in your preparation, and your horrendous decision making on the field. Perhaps, if you had taken preparation seriously, you might have seen another season of greater than 8-8 before even you realize it's over.

The good news is you have untold thousands of gullible fans that believe in the myth that you're a great leader. You can continue to fool them because they'll never be able to see you for who you really are. You gave them a SuperBowl title and 3 MVP's. They're all drunk on what you did years ago and refuse to sober up. Classy guy Brett. Classy.

Go and tell him on his web site...those words fall on deaf ears here cuz he doesnt look at this forum

www.officialbrettfavre.com/forum

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not attending minicamp is in my eyes outrageous and unacceptable, especially for the player considered the leader of the team.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
not attending minicamp is in my eyes outrageous and unacceptable, especially for the player considered the leader of the team.
hell ****ing yes!! preach it! **** him if he cant be there for practice on a little ankle surgery CUT his lack of leadership *** now! we could use the money on the books!! its all bretts fault ted cant sign players, its bretts HUMUNGEOUS contract that is holding the packers back!!!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oannes said:

Go and tell him on his web site...those words fall on deaf ears here cuz he doesnt look at this forum

www.officialbrettfavre.com/forum

How do you know that Brett don't look at this website? All I did was do a search and I found it, that doesnt mean Brett doesnt do the samething. Again we dont live with him to know anything for certain. And we surely dont know who stops by this website to check it out and it could be Brett himself.

If Bretts ankle still isnt a 100% then he should sit out, I'm sure the doctors who check him know best. now for calling Brett a piece of crap? Thats going to far, the man has been in football most of his life and has given the Packers and the fans the best years of his life. So sitting out of a camp isnt a big deal. We all know he can play and play well IMO..I for one would NEVER call someone a piece of crap that has meant so much to me as a fan over the years. Most QB's the get alittle hurt sit out during games, not Brett. This is not a game and if it were Brett would be in there toughing it out through any pain. GO BRETT and GO PACK!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF the Packers want him there, he should come. Even if he can't actually compete on the field. If they say it's ok for him to stay home, then i say it's ok.
He's not above the team. But if the Packer brass say it's fine for him to skip the camp, i have no problem with it. I DON'T want it to cause friction between the team and him. To me, thats the important thing.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Brett does check this website, however, he only reads the Smack Area. He said something about some loser named pyle ruining the main discussion area. :shrug:

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett does check this website, however, he only reads the Smack Area. He said something about some loser named pyle ruining the main discussion area. :shrug:

Yet you stick around and bring my name up. You are an internet badass!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Ba ba ba ba ba ba bad to the bone!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:

Ba ba ba ba ba ba bad to the bone!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Whats a "Ba Dass?" :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah this is rediculous to speculate. He's not 25 anymore dammit. Let him get his rest and start the season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts