Favre doesnt give himself a pass

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know this is sometimes amusing reading posts when we go from a win to a lose to a Win (with a bad performance) We go from FAVRE IS THE BEST BEST BEST BEST EVER EVER. TO ohhhhh those damned recievers if only they were better.

I remember back in the "day" it was long said by many that Favre could make and middle of the road reciever look great. So what happened and at what crossroads did it become the inverse that Favre "Needed" quality recievers??

I think what most need to realize that while Favre is a great QB He has become hyper reliant on one reciever. He has also not benefitted from the O-line that Sherman Built.

Should Favre retire? I dont know it is not my decision. I dont work the front office and I am not a member of Favre's family.

But I know I am a PACKER FAN and by default a fan of the members of the aforementioned team.

Here is hoping that this TEAM including Favre get their house square and finish this season like we all know they are capable of doing.

AND LETS STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR FAVRE HE DOESNT MAKE EM FOR HIMSELF WHY SHOULD WE BE DIFFERANT :twocents:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The point is...even in the Billy Schroeder, Antonio Freeman days...the Packers were still a better team then then they are now...

The O-Line was better...The running game was better..and believe it or not..the defense was better...

The receivers were better (maybe not more talented), but played together better as a team....

One thing feeds off the other..

A QB needs a few certain things to be in place and go right in order to succeed. He needs a good, consistant running game. Good pass protection. And good timing and communication with his WR's and TE's...

The Packers do not have that right now...they are working towards it..but it is not there yet...

That is why it is hard to pin this on one player...

My question to you is not why do we give Brett Favre a pass, but why do you seem to want to pin it all on him without mentioning the other factors...??

imo...

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck did I pin it all on him??? No I dont think so by reading my post is that Favre does not give his poor play an Excuse he has never been about that has he. Nope and Even when he had your aforementioned little things the TEAM still faltered in the playoffs. I am just stating that we need to stop with the YOU HATE FAVRE IF YOU LEVEL ANY CRITICISM AT HIS PLAY. I dont believe I have ever read that they think he is washed up. NOT EVEN FROM TROM (who most think is a FAVRE hater I assure you he is not)

I am saying is that you must take each game and the performance in each one as that and evaulate the play of every player on the team. Dont make excuses because they dont.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
The point is...even in the Billy Schroeder, Antonio Freeman days...the Packers were still a better team then then they are now...

The O-Line was better...The running game was better..and believe it or not..the defense was better...

The receivers were better (maybe not more talented), but played together better as a team....

Show proof that our defense was better. I think you're probably right, you've made some bold comments here, lets see them backed up.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I think what most need to realize that while Favre is a great QB He has become hyper reliant on one reciever".

Because that is what he has been givin to work with. Jennings should be a quality reciever but is not there yet. I believe he hit Martin dead on twice in a row today ( one could have been a TD ) but the pass was dropped and that is not an excuse that is reality. Did Brett play his best game ? Not in my opinion, but the amount of dropped passes today were not pretty either IMO !!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one good reciever never stopped favre before...cmon now.

bretts never had lineups where he had pro bowlers at every WR spot on the depth chart.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I think what most need to realize that while Favre is a great QB He has become hyper reliant on one reciever".

Because that is what he has been givin to work with. Jennings should be a quality reciever but is not there yet. I believe he hit Martin dead on twice in a row today ( one could have been a TD ) but the pass was dropped and that is not an excuse that is reality. Did Brett play his best game ? Not in my opinion, but the amount of dropped passes today were not pretty either IMO !!!

Dropped Balls Tipped Balls are all part of FOOTBALL. I watched Bretts Press Conference I dont believe he metioned TE's Dropping balls. But yes you are right the OFFENSE PLAYED HORRIBLE ALL OF THEM

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The thing is JB, imo..the QB position is so dependent on so many things going right with other players on the whole team to be successful that it's sometimes hard to isolate one from the other.

Does Favre sometimes have bad games. Yes.

But not as bad as you think. As Winni said, when you put a pass in someone's breadbasket, they better damn well catch it because you don't get a whole lot of chances to do it again in the game today.

The thing I see is that our receivers don't get open so much on scrambles when Favre buys time in the pocket. That's communication. That's timing. Something the Packers don't seem to have this year. The receiver going somewhere when the play breaks down and the QB knowing where that receivers going to be...Favre just about had to beat this idea into Schroeder's head..not to give up on a route. But also, the line isn't giving him that extra second or two that would enable the receiver to break free on the route...so he throws into triple coverage when if he didn't, more than likely they'd have to punt anyway.

That's why Favre's frustrated at times out there, I think. Because the options that he's used to having as a QB aren't there anymore...

This team is young. It is learning. But painfully slow for us devoted fans...

The defense Zero, never got burned like this defense gets burned during those years. Today was a good day for the defense. But the safety play has never been as bad as it is now, imo..(unless you go back to the 70's and 80's..) This defense will be good someday, but they haven't been up to this point. That's because they're learning on the job. That's why I said that about those defenses.

Hell, half of this team is learning on the job, including the coach, and that is why, imo..you are seeing such inconsistency in play out there. Don't forget this when you want to point out the play of the most visible player on the field....

Don't forget to look at the supporting cast around him...that's all..

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:

Dropped Balls Tipped Balls are all part of FOOTBALL. I watched Bretts Press Conference I dont believe he metioned TE's Dropping balls. But yes you are right the OFFENSE PLAYED HORRIBLE ALL OF THEM

I could be wrong JbShell but I really believe that we are just too one dimensional / predictable with the Brett / DD combo. They look great at times but I think ( and I could be wrong ) that if we are ever going to have a consistant pass attack that we need another legit WR to throw teams off a bit and take the pressure off of DD.

Trom, maybe it's time we give him another good WR ( that's all I am saying ) Cheers !!!

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just listening to Brett now. He sounds not to impressed with the offence. Says he's happy they play already Thursday cause he's ready to play tomorrow. I think he feels like a lot of us fans. Happy for the W but not to much to smile about from an offensive standpoint

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I said Winni..

I would have loved to see a Moulds or a Keyshawn or a Stallworth come in here to move the chains or stretch the field which would have opened it up a bit more for Driver and Jennings and taken some pressure off of them if they had another guy for the defense to worry about.

A #2/3 receiver is very important to an offense. Right now we have 2. When Jennings was hurt we had 1 guy...sometimes 1 and 1/2 of a guy...even when Jennings came back on a gimpy ankle...

KR could have been that guy..but obviously, it didn't work out this year!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You don't understand this isn't Madden do you? In order to get guys, you have to give something. You can't just go around picking an plucking players onto your team.

And you just flip flopped!! C'mon!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You don't understand this isn't Madden do you? In order to get guys, you have to give something. You can't just go around picking an plucking players onto your team.

And you just flip flopped!! C'mon!!

Right,

Why don't you tell TT that, I'm not the GM.

These were guys that were on other teams before this year that were either traded of were FA's..

That's what a GM does, don't ya know? Gets players from other teams...

:wink:

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre isnt like Manning and isnt going to call out his team mates. While my intention is not to defend Favre's play (which I do think has dropped off) I also realise that his performance and that of the Offense as a whole is largely dependant on the O Line.

In a miserable performance against the Lions, the O line gave up:

1 sack, 1 false snap, 4 false start penalties and 7 QB hits

In a solid performance against the 49ers (another team with a losing record) the O line gave up:

1 sack, 0 false snaps, 0 false start penalties and 3 QB hits

If the Oline can buy Favre time, he's usually not going to force the ball into coverage. If the O line can block effectively, it gets the running game going and takes the pressure off the passing game.

With the O line being as inexperienced as it is, its performance is going to be inconsistent which in turn is going to render Favre's, the running game and the Offense's performance as a whole inconsistent.