Eagles studs n duds

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I couldn’t believe how many PATs were missed in the 3 games I watched yesterday... Bears/Lions, Vikings/Jags... and Packer/Eagles. Something was really off.

I swear....Captain is working some kind of voodoo magic to try and prove his point. :whistling:

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m ready to see MVS gone. I’ve never seen a “professional” wr let so many passes bounce off his chest than this guy. Rodgers clearly gets annoyed with him, but he has to keep going to him for his confidence. I’m just waiting on him to drop a game winning TD.

Kind of with you but I'm trying to hang on to hope. If he gets some hands he'll be a beast. Once upon a time fans were ready to see Devante cut based on his early days with some bad hands. Hoping MVS can turn a corner like that. But man it's tough to watch along the way.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never played, but if it's that one specific deficiency, can't they just make his entire practice time nothing but running deep and catching passes? Sort of like the the fumbler being forced to carry a football everywhere. Heck, it'd give Love something to do, and they could put a spare DB on him to make it feel real.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Never played, but if it's that one specific deficiency, can't they just make his entire practice time nothing but running deep and catching passes? Sort of like the the fumbler being forced to carry a football everywhere. Heck, it'd give Love something to do, and they could put a spare DB on him to make it feel real.
What if this already is being done or similar?

Maybe in practice he does everything right. But game time it never happens?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it could be happening, just that "muscle memory" or the like has always been touted. If he gets ragged on because he's catching with his body, one would think that, eventually, he'd catch with his hands, just to quiet the crowd. :)

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Rashan Gary.

He was pretty solid, especially in the first half. He is slowly progressing. I thing right before his contract is up, he'll be commanding huge

which is the slightly upsetting part. He was picked 12 overall, a player at that spot you’d like to see make an immediate impact rather than slowly progressing because then by the time they’re playing the way you like to see, they’re due a massive payday lol.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We picked AJ Hawk 5th. Just saying. I guess he shoulda been all world.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Entire Special Teams unit. Where do they find these special teams coaches that come through Green Bay? Like seriously? ST Has been an Achilles heel since like 2011. Jk Scott has fallen off a cliff and Mason Crosby makes me nervous. The coverage units are bad...terrible angles and tackling on another punt return TD in 3 weeks.

I’m ready to see MVS gone. I’ve never seen a “professional” wr let so many passes bounce off his chest than this guy. Rodgers clearly gets annoyed with him, but he has to keep going to him for his confidence. I’m just waiting on him to drop a game winning TD.

Eh he's a field stretching number 3, his ability to just run by the coverage is worth the roster spot for now. Yeah he shouldnt be your second option but he's not bad as a role player. Also he made his presence felt on Jones 77 yarder. MVS started the play at the LoS after feigning a jet sweep and then with Jones about 7 yards ahead of him MVS took off and managed to get in the way of two different defenders which helped spring Jones for the score.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
which is the slightly upsetting part. He was picked 12 overall, a player at that spot you’d like to see make an immediate impact rather than slowly progressing because then by the time they’re playing the way you like to see, they’re due a massive payday lol.

Players with Gary's physical ability who are ready to compete on day 1 go in the top 5 if not top 3. We grabbed him at twelve with the idea that he'd need some seasoning but could be a special player. If he keeps putting up sacks like he has in the last 3 weeks its a pick that was well worth it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the poor guy had to live with that expectation for his whole career. :(

It was partly his fault, every so often he'd get angry play with more abandon and he'd look like the guy we thought we were getting. Then he'd go right back to solid AJ, fills his gap but nothing special. I for one think that A) he started his career playing too heavy and overstuffed, which made him slower and more cautious. B) He was never a good fit as a Buck ILB, arms were too short to take on blockers.

He might have reached his potential if kept his weight at or under 240 throughout his career as a backside pursuit catch and chase backer.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know MVS is just a guy will make some nice catches and will drop easy catches he will never be anything better than what we see now..
Hopefully, that will be as our #4 or 5 WR next years.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've noticed Gary playing well the last 3 games. Looks like he's overtaken P. Smith as starter. Maybe light a fire under Preston.
I Like it when they are in the line-up at the same time. And the other Smith. Rashan's coming out party is giving us a few more options on the D line. And if Keke continues to play well...

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Like it when they are in the line-up at the same time. And the other Smith. Rashan's coming out party is giving us a few more options on the D line. And if Keke continues to play well...
Keke should be starting over Lancaster Lancaster has like 5 tackles all year and Keke has 4 sacks and barely plays Lowry and Lancaster both suck

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gary was put on a team with two massive free agent acquisitions that played GREAT...and even had a 3rd guy (Fackrell) that was coming off double digit sack year. If he had started right away that would have been a TERRIBLE sign for those before him. Also, it is VERY VERY rare to find a OLB that does as you desire that is picked outside the Top 5. Happens sure, but very very rare. You also gotta remember Gary was still a youngin' not sure he was even 21 when we drafted him.

Hopefully, that will be as our #4 or 5 WR next years.

To be fair if Lazard hadn't missed some games MVS would be 3rd in targets presently...and he's still barely beating Jones and Tonyan in targets - he is essentially our 4th or 5th receiver option in our offensive system. I concur though, presently he is not a guy you want as your #3 WR in that room specifically or being your 3rd targets guy. His role is best served in that 4/5 spot for what he does.

Keke should be starting over Lancaster Lancaster has like 5 tackles all year and Keke has 4 sacks and barely plays Lowry and Lancaster both suck

I don't see Keke and Lancaster as interchangeable. Keke to me is more of a rushing trench biggun...Lancaster is a plug holes type guy.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary was put on a team with two massive free agent acquisitions that played GREAT...and even had a 3rd guy (Fackrell) that was coming off double digit sack year. If he had started right away that would have been a TERRIBLE sign for those before him. Also, it is VERY VERY rare to find a OLB that does as you desire that is picked outside the Top 5. Happens sure, but very very rare. You also gotta remember Gary was still a youngin' not sure he was even 21 when we drafted him.

To be fair if Lazard hadn't missed some games MVS would be 3rd in targets presently...and he's still barely beating Jones and Tonyan in targets - he is essentially our 4th or 5th receiver option in our offensive system. I concur though, presently he is not a guy you want as your #3 WR in that room specifically or being your 3rd targets guy. His role is best served in that 4/5 spot for what he does.

I don't see Keke and Lancaster as interchangeable. Keke to me is more of a rushing trench biggun...Lancaster is a plug holes type guy.
The only thing Lancaster is good at is eating.....

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He might have reached his potential if kept his weight at or under 240 throughout his career as a backside pursuit catch and chase backer.

Maybe, but he was also bad in coverage. WOLB (4-3) or WILB (4-3) need to be able to cover speedy running backs. Hawk couldn't do it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, but he was also bad in coverage. WOLB (4-3) or WILB (4-3) need to be able to cover speedy running backs. Hawk couldn't do it.

Hence the weight issue, the Hawk who came into the league was crazy fast and was well regarded for his ability in coverage. That was before he hulked up in the weight room.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a physical standpoint
Petals is now 22-6 through 28 games with the Packers, good for a 79% win rate.

I know he has Rodgers, and Rodgers is playing amazing, but it's not that simple.

In his last two full seasons with Rodgers (2016 and 2018), McCarthy was 16-15-1, so basically .500.

It's a tragedy that Rodgers hadn't been playing in a more similar offense to what MLF is running. IMO MLF deserves a healthy amount of credit for convincing Rodgers to play with a more balanced offense that works the entire field. To the casual fan forcing the defense to respect the run and underneath route might not mean much but it means keeping Defensive fronts from spreading out and rushing ends with the 7 and wide 9 techs. It means keeping the safeties from dropping 2 deep right off the snap and dropping the LBs into coverage at the snap as well.

Towards the end of MMs tenure it seemed that the best approach to defending against Rodgers involved spreading the Defensive front, dropping 7 and then ignoring anything within 15 yards of the LoS.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
From a physical standpoint

It's a tragedy that Rodgers hadn't been playing in a more similar offense to what MLF is running. IMO MLF deserves a healthy amount of credit for convincing Rodgers to play with a more balanced offense that works the entire field. To the casual fan forcing the defense to respect the run and underneath route might not mean much but it means keeping Defensive fronts from spreading out and rushing ends with the 7 and wide 9 techs. It means keeping the safeties from dropping 2 deep right off the snap and dropping the LBs into coverage at the snap as well.

Towards the end of MMs tenure it seemed that the best approach to defending against Rodgers involved spreading the Defensive front, dropping 7 and then ignoring anything within 15 yards of the LoS.

While it's true that it would have been nice to get Rodgers out of McCarthy's stale offense sooner, I like to focus on the positive side-- the Packers have a great offensive mind at the helm and Rodgers is bought in. I'm really enjoying it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's true that it would have been nice to get Rodgers out of McCarthy's stale offense sooner, I like to focus on the positive side-- the Packers have a great offensive mind at the helm and Rodgers is bought in. I'm really enjoying it.

Valleys help us appreciate the peaks. The point is that MLF is a big part of Rodgers late career resurgence. Big MLF factor, during the last 4 years of MMs coaching career Rodgers was averaging 40+ sacks per season. The only outlier was 2017 with 22 sacks... in 7 games at a clip heading towards 50 on the year. Last year Rodgers managed a tolerable 35 take downs and this year he's on pace for(drumroll) 17. You have to appreciate this if like me you want to see him play into his early 40s.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about OC Hackett? I did not think his father was as good as most others thought but our OC must be doing some things right. I wonder what he actually does.

Members online

Latest posts