Duds and studs, official Fins

D

Deleted member 6794

I could be wrong on this and would have to go back and look at all the times we attempt this play, but it seems that it works for other teams, when the CB (s) are playing 10+ yards off the line of scrimmage from the WR. When it fails is when the CB is playing right on the LOS, which seems most teams play against the Packers. Again, this is just my gut memory, I could be wrong and everyone is playing our WR's with a big cushion pre-snap.

Here's the average distance measured between Packers receivers and the defender they’re lined up against at the time of snap on all targets:

Allison 6.6 (16th highest out of 127 receivers with at least 25 targets)
MVS 6.4 (27th)
Graham 6.1 (52nd)
Cobb 5.4 (86th)
Adams 4.6 (121st)

Not sure about Linsley but there were some holes.

The Packers had success running to the right side gaining a total of 141 yards on 11 carries. Linsley, Bell and Bulaga did a great job blocking.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here's the average distance measured between Packers receivers and the defender they’re lined up against at the time of snap on all targets:

Allison 6.6 (16th highest out of 127 receivers with at least 25 targets)
MVS 6.4 (27th)
Graham 6.1 (52nd)
Cobb 5.4 (86th)
Adams 4.6 (121st)

Thanks Captain :tup: Amazing the stats that are kept. How many times did each guy blink before the ball was snapped? ;)

What I would be curious to know, if you have time......what is the average distance that the Packers defenders give receivers at the LOS, this year VS last year. Again, only my mental memory in play here, but seems like Capers defenses played receivers pretty far off the LOS.

D

Deleted member 6794

What I would be curious to know, if you have time......what is the average distance that the Packers defenders give receivers at the LOS, this year VS last year. Again, only my mental memory in play here, but seems like Capers defenses played receivers pretty far off the LOS.

Unfortunately the NFL doesn't publish those numbers for defenses but if you're interested in a specific game from last season compared to another one from 2018 I could figure it out for you.

Note that the receiver must have had at least five targets in a game to be listed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately the NFL doesn't publish those numbers for defenses but if you're interested in a specific game from last season compared to another one from 2018 I could figure it out for you.

Note that the receiver must have had at least five targets in a game to be listed.

No worries, but I appreciate you offering to do all the work, just to prove my eye memory (right or wrong). :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I actually pulled up a youtube video of the NFCC game against the Falcons, just to see where Packer defenders were lining up on the LOS, it seemed to vary a lot from play to play. But I did realize just how much I don't miss Gunter. Having to line him up against Julio Jones should be considered a crime. Will be interesting to see how this "new defense" plays against Jones and the Falcons.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
2nd and 1, 3rd and 1, 4th and 1......whatever......When you have a QB like Aaron Rodgers, I think those are the situations that you rely on your QB to audible to the play he thinks has the highest probability of being successful, based on the offensive personnel in the game and the defense he sees when they line up.

Would be interesting to know if Rodgers has the green light to audible on any play and what % of the time does he do so?
I used to be more inclined to think this way. I don’t trust Rodger’s judgment near as much now as I used to. I think he’s slow to strategically adjust his thinking to changing circumstances.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I used to be more inclined to think this way. I don’t trust Rodger’s judgment near as much now as I used to. I think he’s slow to strategically adjust his thinking to changing circumstances.

Could be, but pick your poison.....McCarthy call before the offense gets to the line of scrimmage or AR's once he gets to the LOS and examines the defense?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be, but pick your poison.....McCarthy call before the offense gets to the line of scrimmage or AR's once he gets to the LOS and examines the defense?
I think some of Rodger’s sacks are resulting in putting the team in needlessly bad positions. I think McCarthy needs to tell him when no long developing plays can be audibled to. Only runs or quick passes with a quick throw away being an acceptable outcome. The 11 yard sacks are killers. Get rid of the dang ball and live to fight another day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think some of Rodger’s sacks are resulting in putting the team in needlessly bad positions. I think McCarthy needs to tell him when no long developing plays can be audibled to. Only runs or quick passes with a quick throw away being an acceptable outcome. The 11 yard sacks are killers. Get rid of the dang ball and live to fight another day.
I was referring more to an audible or changing the play at the LOS before the ball is snapped.

As far as MM telling Rodgers "only quick passes or throw aways", that is probably easier said than done. Rodgers MO and it has mostly been a successful one, is to run around in and outside of the pocket, extending the play as long as he can to try and find an open receiver. With that comes completions but also produces both sacks and fumbles. On the opposite coin, if you are asking him to "get rid of it quick to avoid the sack", you are probably going to see more incompletions as well as interceptions. Basically, choose your poison. I don't like seeing Rodgers sacked, but I will take a sack over an interception or an intentional grounding penalty.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't like seeing Rodgers sacked, but I will take a sack over an interception or an intentional grounding penalty.

I prefer Rodgers to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack. First of all there's no risk of him suffering an injury and the Packers don't lose yards on the play.

He has already done it a league leading 41 times this season. Goff is closest to him with 24.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I prefer Rodgers to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack. First of all there's no risk of him suffering an injury and the Packers don't lose yards on the play.

He has already done it a league leading 41 times this season. Goff is closest to him with 24.

I don't think any Packer fan wants to see Rodgers injured, but he can still be injured throwing the ball away, some of those throwaways and grounding penalties he took, were as he was getting hit.

I think the stat you posted (41 throw aways) is a very telling one, Rodgers is trying to avoid hits as well as interceptions. Now I don't know if I would go so far as to say he is playing scared because he is and should be protecting that knee, but I think it has made him a less effective QB this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think any Packer fan wants to see Rodgers injured, but he can still be injured throwing the ball away, some of those throwaways and grounding penalties he took, were as he was getting hit.

Rodgers has only being hit five times when throwing the ball this season though as well as called for intentional grounding on three occasions.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

And apparently is on pace to shatter the single season record in that category.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I would say is I prefer it when Rodgers has a chance to roll left. He seems to be able to complete passes when available and seems to be able to run better. I just like it more when he rolls left now that his leg seems better.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only thing I would say is I prefer it when Rodgers has a chance to roll left. He seems to be able to complete passes when available and seems to be able to run better. I just like it more when he rolls left now that his leg seems better.
Agreed and I remember in one of the recent games, maybe the Rams game, the announcers bringing up the fact that he was far more successful when rolling left. As they were saying that, he rolled right and missed the pass. :eek:

H

HardRightEdge

Raven Greene had an interesting debut. Time will tell if they have something there. He's a pretty good athlete who played extremely well in college-- he was an UDFA largely because of the FCS level of competition.

Overall, I'm not getting too excited about a home win against a bad Dolphins team led by Brock Osweiler. A win @SEA on a short week would do a lot more to raise my opinion of McCarthy's Packers.
Yeah, I kinda like the cut of Greene's jib. I had not seen this before, but PFF put him on their rookie all-preseason team for whatever that's worth.

Brice is not reliable on the back end; his spot is vulnerable. Early returns on Williams and Jones are so-so.

Greene's 2 forced fumbles on regular season special teams says something on a team having difficuties forcing turnovers. Flukes or a knack for it? His pro day numbers are in the ballpark.

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1008592&draftyear=2018&genpos=FS

Yeah, beating Miami/Osweiler at home is something you'd expect a 0.500 team to do. If this team is going to get themselves into the playoff conversation the time is now. The other team is playing on a short week, too. That could work to the Packers advantage with Rodgers improvizational nature against a less than fully prepared opponent.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Great point.
ther team is playing on a short week, too. That could work to the Packers advantage with Rodgers improvizational nature against a less than fully prepared opponent.

Not sure I agree... I Heard mm say all teams do Thur and Fri b4 this week to scout and prepare.. Then they get the what ever time leading up to traveling.

Plus they have played him a few times.. And they have Wilson who I would assume runs around still?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Not sure I agree... I Heard mm say all teams do Thur and Fri b4 this week to scout and prepare.. Then they get the what ever time leading up to traveling.

Plus they have played him a few times.. And they have Wilson who I would assume runs around still?
I'm sure there is some preparation done before the "official" game week starts in the Thursday night scenario, but you're still cramming. The preparation piece is totally different for Thursday night games.

There's only so much attention that you can afford to give to your next opponent when you've yet to play your current one.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure there is some preparation done before the "official" game week starts in the Thursday night scenario, but you're still cramming. The preparation piece is totally different for Thursday night games.

There's only so much attention that you can afford to give to your next opponent when you've yet to play your current one.
I would be more concerned about getting bodies right.. Some players don't feel right until Friday after a Sunday game

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yet league doesn't care about that
It's absolutely ridiculous for a team like the Packers to have to play an afternoon game on Sunday and then travel to the other side of the country to play a game just a few days later.

Rodgers utilized all of the restraint he had to keep from blasting the NFL in his Tuesday presser.

To your point, all the league cares about is making a few extra bucks and promoting the game on a different day of the week.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I have always hated the Thursday night and the London Games. Both seem to flip a finger at Players and fans. Once again its like most big businesses, how do you squeeze every dollar you can out of your product. Someday, when I am ready to give up watching Football, I would love to see the NFL go to a "pay only viewing"....I have a feeling that they would quickly see that their business has such a large fan base only because for many of us, its free to watch.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts