Duds and studs, official Fins

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nice to win again, but this team still isn't firing on all cylinders.

Pretty much how I felt. Winning a game against a below average team that is pretty banged up and force to play a backup QB, lots of backup O-Lineman and in Green Bay.

I have to wonder if a lot of fans got super excited last year when their team beat the Hundley run Packers?

But hey, I will take the win, the momentum and hope we escaped without any major injuries.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ was awesome for sure.
I'll give a special mention to MVS too.
Duds: special teams
Graham - he was supposed to be such a weapon. So far he's basically a bust
I still give the D a C-
Look at all of the injuries on the Miami side and they still had several open receivers and Gore broke a lot of tackles.
D misses way too many tackles and I don't think I heard Mathews' name all day. He's done IMO.

Rodgers seems to be holding the ball more this year. I believe it's a lack of trust in some of the receivers.
Yes, I'm a pretty tough critic. As a shareholder, I expect more from professionals. Add the fact that I live in Bears country and I get tired of hearing about it from their fans.
Owning a completely worthless piece of paper makes you a tough critic?

Reaction score
Stud: our D as a whole

The Coaches Offensive game plan to finally get Aaron Jones and the GROUP of TEs more involved. We had multiple TE sets and it helped our running game immensely, their blocking had an enormous effect on the run.
I can’t believe that 30+ catch and scramble by Mercedes was only his second reception in the year?! We need to continue to utilize our TE’s every week just like we did today!

Dud: ST gets a D+grade.
I’d give them an D- but they redeemed themselves on the trick play after turning the ball over twice. (Once on a trick play, once on a fumble, penalties continue to haunt Zook.

Overall a decent game against a battered team. They did win 5 games, so they’re not a complete lay down.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
sometimes I wonder if people commenting even watched the game LOL
I am sure they do, but depending on your perspective and opinions, different people surely see different things. Same reason eye witness accounts of a crime never quite match up.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yea I was saying that they need to extend him next season and save millions by trying to re-up on him when he’s in his final year if his rookie deal. Lock him up soon as possible.

The Packers aren't allowed to extend Jones until after the 2019 season.

Once the playoff spot is secure then we can worry about getting and winning our 5th title.

You mean 14th, don't you??? :sneaky:

D

Deleted member 6794

Overall the Packers didn't play a perfect game but it was a much needed win against a team that entered the game with a better record.

Normally I don't post studs and duds but McCarthy's play calling deserves a super dud this week. I mean, Raven Greene is averaging 26 yards a carry but that moron isn't even using him on offense. WTF??? Fire everyone. End of sarcasm.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obvious studs: Aaron Jones, Davante Adams.

Obvious duds: Special teams, lack of a consistent passing attack.

Honorable mention: Offensive lines' run-blocking. Jones had some nice holes and cutback lanes.

Head scratcher: Why Green bay felt it was necessary to go for a fourth-and-two near midfield rather than pin the Dolphins deep in their own end. Giving the Fins a short field is exactly what Gase's banged-up team needed, and there didn't seem to be any good reason to do it.

Milk-Carton sighting: Montravius Adams, nice to see you. Ditto Marcedes Lewis.
And.....Holy Mackerel! It's Fackrell on the tackeral…….

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was nice to see Adams not only play, but look pretty savvy. In the clip of the 3 sacks in 4 downs late in the game, Adams shows several pass rush moves that are impressive out of a big man. That spin move didn't accomplish anything, but it looked good. 300 pound dudes with a bull rush, rip, and spin move can do damage.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud:
-Aaron Jones
-Run blocking
-M Lewis
-Fackrell
-Martinez
-Clark as always
-Raven Greene!

Dud:
-Special teams
-Josh Jackson
-Perry as always
-Running into a wall on 2nd and 1, a down made for play action
-going for it on 4th and 2 from midfield with a huge lead
-4th down play with Bulaga blocking no one and Graham blocking a D end.....
-horizontal routes and wr screens. Run actual routes downfield!
-pass blocking
-Lack of discipline

I hold my breath on every return. Never thought I'd say this but thank God for Trevor Davis!

Last edited:

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Studs:
Mike effing Pettine. FYI- This team leads the league in the sacks.
Aaron Jones- Taking pressure off of Rodgers is critical moving forward. Dare I say the most elusive back the Packers have had since Ahman Green?
Corey Lindsey- Kid is relentless in all phases of the game
Fackrell- Obviously had a nice sack, but was also real good in coverage
Two guys name Brown and Greene- For the first time in a decade I can finally say, this secondary has a future!
Nick Perry getting hurt giving Reggie Gilbert more opportunities.

Duds:
Aaron Rodgers- Missing open recievers all over the place and leaving the pocket too soon
Jimmy Graham- WTF man? How does a guy that is 6’7 look like a safety on the field?
Josh Jackson- Struggled this week. At least hes a rookie unlike the two names above.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know people want to complain about the 2nd and 1 and not going for play action, but sometimes you have to run that AND make it. you need to show teams you #1 are willing to do it in that situation regardless of the defensive front, and #2 you have to show them you can do it. If you don't, play action is just a set of motions teams don't really believe.

one of the biggest plays for this offense of the entire game was running in to the endzone, a tough run and did it anyway. They need to start doing that and keep doing it to make other teams worry about it. Otherwise it's all just for show. You must do those things when they matter to open everything else up. Play action is pointless on 2nd and 1 or 2 if we can never convert on 2nd and 1 by running.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones gets thru a small hole quickly that's for sure. he squirted thru one and it was open and closed and he was thru it into open space. It's pretty cool to see when he does it. Fackerell had one of his better all around games. For as high as I was on Gilbert last year and then this year when he made the team, Perry is a much better player. Gilbert shows up once and a while when he's rushing, but he's mostly a liability in the run game, by a lot from the plays I watch him on. I can see why he hasn't gotten more opportunities.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know people want to complain about the 2nd and 1 and not going for play action, but sometimes you have to run that AND make it. you need to show teams you #1 are willing to do it in that situation regardless of the defensive front, and #2 you have to show them you can do it. If you don't, play action is just a set of motions teams don't really believe.

one of the biggest plays for this offense of the entire game was running in to the endzone, a tough run and did it anyway. They need to start doing that and keep doing it to make other teams worry about it. Otherwise it's all just for show. You must do those things when they matter to open everything else up. Play action is pointless on 2nd and 1 or 2 if we can never convert on 2nd and 1 by running.
I want to complain about it. If they think they can make it then they can make it on 3rd down.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Perry and Matthews. I believe both tackles were out for Miami and they still didn't make a single noteworthy play. I honestly don't remember either one of them even getting a tackle

Pettine has accomplished quite a bit with a very bad defensive roster. Granted it was the Dolphins but still I'm impressed

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to complain about it. If they think they can make it then they can make it on 3rd down.
So what about our offense makes 2nd and 1 a play action down? Just to go thru the motions? Plays and successful plays allow each other to work and to create a flow to an offense and a game.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what about our offense makes 2nd and 1 a play action down? Just to go thru the motions? Plays and successful plays allow each other to work and to create a flow to an offense and a game.
Actually, I don't understand what you just said. 2nd and one is THE play action down. And especially since we hardly ever use it. And even if we did; it is still THE play action down. The D is usually bunched up right at the middle.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually, I don't understand what you just said. 2nd and one is THE play action down. And especially since we hardly ever use it. And even if we did; it is still THE play action down. The D is usually bunched up right at the middle.

Yet teams around the league run the ball on 66% of those plays this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play action only ever works if you're going to run in that situation and be successful. It's why with an in shape Eddie and Jordy, it was such a deadly combo. We could pound it in there for a new set of downs, or play action and hit over the top and defenses had to honor both.

If i'm playing a team that is never willing to run on 2nd and 1 halfway thru the season and can't convert. I don't give a crap about their play action look because it's just wasted motion. Play action works because of a legitimate action they've seen on tape.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
2nd and 1, 3rd and 1, 4th and 1......whatever......When you have a QB like Aaron Rodgers, I think those are the situations that you rely on your QB to audible to the play he thinks has the highest probability of being successful, based on the offensive personnel in the game and the defense he sees when they line up.

Would be interesting to know if Rodgers has the green light to audible on any play and what % of the time does he do so?

Members online

Latest posts