Don't drink the kool aid

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Five letters, Packer nation: P A N I C.

:D

Actually, I predicted this to be a loss before the season even started. Most did. In fact, I predicted every game accurately thus far, so not surprised to see the record at 5-3. But, am disappointed in how bad our defense is, still. Not panic, just disappointed.

Hope Rodgers is ok.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers NEED help on defense badly.. And until they can CONSISTENTLY stop the run and COVER against a BALANCED offense, it will be tough to bet on Rodgers and the offense scoring 40 PTS every freakin week. That's the bind that TT, capers, and co. Has put him in.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Noticed a lot of missed tackles.
Thats and understatement (missed tackles) lets just say can't and won't tackle, Devon House, if there were a way to send players back to practice squads to learn fundamentals,he and A J Hawk would be my top choices, oh and pay them only the practice squad pay...

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats and understatement (missed tackles) lets just say can't and won't tackle, Devon House, if there were a way to send players back to practice squads to learn fundamentals,he and A J Hawk would be my top choices, oh and pay them only the practice squad pay...

Add
HaHa to that list as well. He's probably worse than House. The sad part is he's usually in position but he's got a horrible habit of just torpedoing in with his head down and not wrapping up! He's been doing it all year and twice last night..he completely whiffed on Ingram twice without Ingram even putting a juke move on him. He shows promise but so does calvin Pryor and Deone Bucannon who I had higher grades on and both are better tacklers as well. haha misses way to many tackles that's why I'm not as high on him as some of you are. Go back and look at the film the guy is in position most the time but his open field tackling is that of a cb vs a safety. He's got to fix that period.

Hawk ? Smh he's another guy who can't get off blocks...I hate to say it but he's killing us in the middle but he's our best option. He can't cover either.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh, 16 game season, 8 games left. Several 3 loss teams and still get to play the leader of the division at our house. I'll still RELAX and see what happens....far from any panic yet.
And hey if the season ended today the Pack would be in the playoffs.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
1 word to MM" NO MORE SLANT PASSES TO PEPPERS" he is not I repeat NOT a receiver, DUH! I made a comment before that Eddie Lacy was predictable running back well I predicted that he would pound it in from the 2yard line, well I must admit (I WAS WRONG), Peppers was going to pound it in (NO I WAS WRONG)I,m sorry thought we were playing the Vikings.....

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're being reminded of the old truth that fan bases tend to overrate the talent of their teams.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what should Packers management do to fix it? They've drafted heavy on defense, signed Peppers, signed their key players (Matthews, Shields), tried different schemes (4-3 which bombed, NASCAR package)

Keep employing the same DC, who has failed to do much with this defence. Keep doing the same things that haven't worked for 4 years, that usually does the trick. Hell a broken clock is right twice a day.

Or how about the packers management "DO THEIR F'ING JOB".

There isn't a sure fire right answer to your question, but something needs to change, I swear if this season ends in no playoffs or one and done, and the defence stays bad, and they don't fire Capers, I will tear my hair out. I'm already on the fire capers train and have been for 2 years now. I just can't fathom them keeping him on if this defence fails yet again. It is a lot easier to replace a coaching staff than an entire team.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 word to MM" NO MORE SLANT PASSES TO PEPPERS" he is not I repeat NOT a receiver, DUH! I made a comment before that Eddie Lacy was predictable running back well I predicted that he would pound it in from the 2yard line, well I must admit (I WAS WRONG), Peppers was going to pound it in (NO I WAS WRONG)I,m sorry thought we were playing the Vikings.....

throwing a ball in a crucial situation to someone who has never caught a pass is a terrible idea, it might be different if we were up by 3 TDs and we could laugh about it

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is Capers last yr...if he's still here next yr i may boycott. Now I havnt been as critical about him as some of you, but something's gotta give. Anywhere else? he woulda been fired already can pretty much guarNtee that. TT would let guys like Charles Woodson, Cullen Jenkins, and kampman go but he won't fire Capers after this horrible stretch of horrid play on defense for the last 4 yrs.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
something's gotta give
Agreed. The reason we're perennially one of the youngest teams in the league is because of player turnover. So, we can't be accused of sitting still on the player side. MM has a 900 page offensive playbook and Capers has multiple schemes on defense--both designed to confuse the opposition, which is fine if they don't confuse our team just as much. The problem is that the game is all about blocking and tackling, and we don't do either very well. So, either TT is drafting and signing player after player that can't perform, or the coaching is unable to teach them to perform. MM needs to make some changes, and TT needs to insist on them.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers: "I've seen us through the first half of the season play pretty good run defense, so I feel like we can."

Mike needs to check on Dom in the film room and give him this season's tapes. He's clearly viewing the ones that say "2009 game tapes"

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers: "I've seen us through the first half of the season play pretty good run defense, so I feel like we can."

Mike needs to check on Dom in the film room and give him this season's tapes. He's clearly viewing the ones that say "2009 game tapes"

Haha. This literally made me laugh out loud smh. Haha. You know what my rebuttal to that would be ? I've also seen us through the first half of the season and the tape shows that no...no we can't play run defense. Need more evidence? The defensive rankings also show we can't defend the run seeing that we rank Dead LAST in that category out of 32 other teams.

Since Capers has been here (09) how many times have we been in the bottom of the league in defense? 3? 4? Just as much TT as it is Capers truth be told. Can't draft ilbs and won't fire the guy. He's the problem.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha. This literally made me laugh out loud smh. Haha. You know what my rebuttal to that would be ? I've also seen us through the first half of the season and the tape shows that no...no we can't play run defense. Need more evidence? The defensive rankings also show we can't defend the run seeing that we rank Dead LAST in that category out of 32 other teams.

Since Capers has been here (09) how many times have we been in the bottom of the league in defense? 3? 4? Just as much TT as it is Capers truth be told. Can't draft ilbs and won't fire the guy. He's the problem.
I agree with you up to the point of blaming Thompson for not firing Capers. This is also the second time in this thread I've seen you mention that. The only coach Thompson has ever hired or fired is Mike McCarthy. The GM chooses the head coach and the head coach picks his assistant staff. This is pretty common in how its done league wise and I'd be very surprised to see Thompson overstep his boundaries and fire Capers. What I think we may see is Ted whispering into McCarthy's ear about recommending a defensive coaching change at the end of the year if the defense doesn't show any progression down the stretch.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I watch this joke of a D, the more I think it is squarely at the feet of Thompson. He is shopping and buying these defensive trash groceries. He has failed to replace AJ Hawk why? He has failed to replace Raji et al why? It took him 2 years to realize the safeties were garbage. It goes on and on. The GM is responsible for player personnel. You cannot win in the NFL if you cannot stop anyone. The last 4 years have been FILLED with defensive pick failures over and over again. Who is to blame? The picker, not the man who sets them up on the field. It is time for Murphy to grow a pair, stop being a yes man, and send Teddy bye bye.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO Thompson deserves most of the blame for the atrocious run defense. Everyone knew before the season the Packers had to address the safety and ILB position and while Clinton-Dix seems like a really good pick Thompson stood pat and didn´t bring in any ILB which has turned out to be a huge mistake. It is pretty obvious the front seven doesn´t have enough talent to succesfully defend the run on a constant basis.

In addition the changes McCarthy and Capers made during the offseason, relying on more atheltic defensive linemen to get the job done has backfired defending the run, but mostly because the talent just isn´t there.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what if the Packers are 5-3 right now. Their defense is a mess. If they manage to squeeze into the playoffs the defense will be lit up. Barring a Joe Webb start I can't see how the Packers will be competitive with the worst run defense in the league. TT is writing the book on how to waste the career of a top notch HOF qb.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers isn't going Anywhere. The guy is pushing 70 and sits in the booth every game. It's the same excuse every yeAr as to why the defense sucks. There are better, YOUNGER, DC's out there but Green Bay seems to enjoy mediocracy so....

H

HardRightEdge

So what should Packers management do to fix it? They've drafted heavy on defense, signed Peppers, signed their key players (Matthews, Shields), tried different schemes (4-3 which bombed, NASCAR package)
They need to go the free agent market for some proven mid-priced players for the D-Line and LB positions. Brad Jones, Hawk, Lattimore, Guion, Boyd, Pennel, Datone Jones, Perry, Neal...we've got a fine collection of bench, rotational and situational players but without the guys in front of them that they should be subbing and rotating for. It's depth without core quality.