Don't drink the kool aid

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
really? mostly young? I think it's the opposite. it's those of us that lived thru the 70s and 80s that should appreciate the way the team wins consistently now. I see younger kids not appreciating it.
Thats what I was getting at I witnessed the 70's and 80's when the playoffs were just a dream,I was happy to finally see Bob Harlan turn the franchise around,see them go to SB's but like I said I would hate to see AR ride off into the sunset without at least 1 more SB.My dad, god rest his soul,was fortunate to watch the Packers win all those championships,I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more at my age, I was 10 when they won the first NFC-AFC championship game, before it was actually called the Super Bowl.Just saying, no one will remember a team by how many division titles they won or by how many times they went to the playoffs,they will be remembered by how many Championships they won.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats what I was getting at I witnessed the 70's and 80's when the playoffs were just a dream,I was happy to finally see Bob Harlan turn the franchise around,see them go to SB's but like I said I would hate to see AR ride off into the sunset without at least 1 more SB.My dad, god rest his soul,was fortunate to watch the Packers win all those championships,I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more at my age, I was 10 when they won the first NFC-AFC championship game, before it was actually called the Super Bowl.Just saying, no one will remember a team by how many division titles they won or by how many times they went to the playoffs,they will be remembered by how many Championships they won.

I feel ya. I honestly do. ... but ... isn't it also reasonable to suggest we should feel blessed to have had such a winning franchise the past 20 years plus? Regardless of why that is or how it happened or who we should thank or any of that. The fact is, the Packers have had a fantastic run for decades now.

For some Packer fans to not enjoy that but rather sit around and talk about nothing but negatives, is just sad. It's just a fact, there are about 90% of franchises that have not been nearly as winning. You remember the 80s. Imagine living thru THAT the past 30 years with little hope of it getting better now.

BTW...same story with my dad and my parents. Season ticket holders since the 60s and lived thru it all.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And now are dumping him according to the media for being a cancer to the team. No wonder there were grumbling about Rodgers not being a lynch fan since back at cal
Seattle got what they wanted out of Lynch,a Super Bowl and Lombardi Trophy,yes it's nice when all your players hold hands around the campfire and sing Koom By Ah,but this is football,not Sesame Street,you will always have players with their egos,issues etc,he helped win a SB now if it's gone sour move on that's the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Just saying, no one will remember a team by how many division titles they won or by how many times they went to the playoffs,they will be remembered by how many Championships they won.
That should be remembered when you laud Ron Wolf - remember his 'fart in the wind' comment? He and Thompson are tied with one Championship each and Thompson's not done. There's no one best way to build a championship team. The D has some obvious problems but it looks like they've finally recognized a change had to be made at ILB. And those posting Capers never tries anything new (not necessarily on this thread) are wrong - they made a major change this season. The result has been much better pressure on opposing QBs and worst vs. the run.

D

Deleted member 6794

The D has some obvious problems but it looks like they've finally recognized a change had to be made at ILB. And those posting Capers never tries anything new (not necessarily on this thread) are wrong - they made a major change this season. The result has been much better pressure on opposing QBs and worst vs. the run.

Absolutely agree with you on that. The frustrating thing about it is that this was an obvious concern before the season started but the Packers didn´t do anything to upgrade the run defense. I have to admit that losing Raji was a major blow though.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel ya. I honestly do. ... but ... isn't it also reasonable to suggest we should feel blessed to have had such a winning franchise the past 20 years plus? Regardless of why that is or how it happened or who we should thank or any of that. The fact is, the Packers have had a fantastic run for decades now.

For some Packer fans to not enjoy that but rather sit around and talk about nothing but negatives, is just sad. It's just a fact, there are about 90% of franchises that have not been nearly as winning. You remember the 80s. Imagine living thru THAT the past 30 years with little hope of it getting better now.

BTW...same story with my dad and my parents. Season ticket holders since the 60s and lived thru it all.
Yup, I just look at Cleveland,they had some success in the 60's but what a drought they have been through,didn't have a team for awhile,heck they took LeBron James back with open arms lol,yes we have been blessed the last 20 plus years but at least one more for Aaron,we may never see a QB like that again,have a good one buddy,nice chatting with you.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That should be remembered when you laud Ron Wolf - remember his 'fart in the wind' comment? He and Thompson are tied with one Championship each and Thompson's not done. There's no one best way to build a championship team. The D has some obvious problems but it looks like they've finally recognized a change had to be made at ILB. And those posting Capers never tries anything new (not necessarily on this thread) are wrong - they made a major change this season. The result has been much better pressure on opposing QBs and worst vs. the run.
Yeah I remember that quote,you could tell he was p.o.ed they were heavily favored in that SB but I don't think the team wanted to win that game for Holmgren after it was leaked that he was leaving for Seattle and although Sherman inherited a good team he as coach and g.m. couldn't draft very well and did lose in the free agent market,good example,Joe Johnson.but hey if you got holes like GB does and in the win it all now mantra in the NFL, draft and develop can take too long,by the time you realize the players you picked aren't what you thought,your starting all over again.This is what is happening with the defense in GB,let Pickett go,Jolly isn't back and now these young players aren't getting it done right now and it's too late to do anything this year except bite the bullet.You can bet TT will spend some picks on ILB and DL next draft but unless they can step in and perform right away and the players there now don't make a jump next year I doubt you will see much improvement.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree about the pressure. The may not have the sack totals but there's no question they're getting pressure. They were right on Brees all game long.

H

HardRightEdge

The defense does need to step up, I know they can, they did a good job against Carolina. Personally I think this Saints game was an aberration. Perhaps the team was looking forward to the bye. As far as the teams you mention, the Packers have a good chance of beating all of them and I am counting on it!
"Aberration"? It depends what you're looking at. Calling Peppers number on the goal line, the failed surprise on-side kick, the two tipped INTs, failing on 4th. and short on your own 40 when the game is close...that's a robust collection of aberrant calls and outcomes. The next time somebody criticizes McCarthy's penchant for gadgets and gimmicks, please remember this game.

On the other hand, the front 7 getting manhandled in the run game was not aberrant. After watching the game replay I conclude the run defense's problems were more an issue with the D-Line than the ILBs. NO was opening holes with 4 OLs with one getting a clean release into the second level all day. It's hard to stop a runner getting through clean with a blocker out in front.

One game in a season without forcing a punt is aberrant. Two games is a problem.

H

HardRightEdge

Not much there we did not already know.

That Marshawn Lynch ran with "the power of the rainbow" was somewhat interesting. I thought he was riding a unicorn but I could be mistaken.

A. J. Hawk as an expected but not particularly appetizing side dish about sums up his play. I guess somebody has to translate Capers' latest brainstorm for the troops.

Also, I'm not quite understanding this bit about starting the season with a 4-3. It was pretty much the same old 3-4 with Peppers dropping down from time to time. It was more something that was shown while not being any kind of bread and butter. And as far as "morphing" into a 2-4-5, that's what the Packers have been running on 2/3 of the snaps for lo these many years...it's more like "returning" than morphing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Aberration"? It depends what you're looking at. Calling Peppers number on the goal line, the failed surprise on-side kick, the two tipped INTs, failing on 4th. and short on your own 40 when the game is close...that's a robust collection of aberrant calls and outcomes. The next time somebody criticizes McCarthy's penchant for gadgets and gimmicks, please remember this game.

On the other hand, the front 7 getting manhandled in the run game was not aberrant. After watching the game replay I conclude the run defense's problems were more an issue with the D-Line than the ILBs. NO was opening holes with 4 OLs with one getting a clean release into the second level all day. It's hard to stop a runner getting through clean with a blocker out in front.

One game in a season without forcing a punt is aberrant. Two games is a problem.

Everything you mention here I grouped together and called it an aberration and I believe that it is. Just some crazy things happened in that game. I have faith that Capers will get his group together when it counts the most, down the stretch and into the playoffs. Rodgers and the offense will have to cover for them in the meantime. If we have more offensive games like the ones against the Panthers and Vikings, teams will be forced to abandon the run and go to the air. So we may not look so bad against the run until we get it fixed. The tackling needs to improve as well, I'm only 5'7" 125 lbs and I can tackle better than House!!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers ran into a 'perfect storm ' scenario in New Orleans much the same as in Seattle. That said, this is still a seriously flawed team.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think using the term "seriously flawed" is a stretch. The Raiders are a seriously flawed team

Is it? A shaky Oline, can't stop the run, rely on turnovers to get off the field, get embarrassed against big time competition in big spots. Outside of Rodgers brilliance , there's not a lot of awesome here.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet.. we're 5 and 3 and in good position to make the playoffs. The next 4 out of 5 games are at home and only 3 out of 8 are against premier teams. There's plenty of time to get better on both sides of the ball. Frankly.. I would like to see the Pack be at their best going into the playoffs rather than at the middle of the season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet.. we're 5 and 3 and in good position to make the playoffs. The next 4 out of 5 games are at home and only 3 out of 8 are against premier teams. There's plenty of time to get better on both sides of the ball. Frankly.. I would like to see the Pack be at their best going into the playoffs rather than at the middle of the season.

All well and good. But although there's time, there isn't the material, and no amount of time will change that.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have good players and a good coaching staff. I feel that they will make the necessary corrections and the team will improve.. Will they be in the top 10 defensively? No.. but they will be competitive!!

Have a Happy Halloween!! :) Bye bye

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have good players and a good coaching staff. I feel that they will make the necessary corrections and the team will improve.. Will they be in the top 10 defensively? No.. but they will be competitive!!

Have a Happy Halloween!! :) Bye bye

Hope you're right. Have a great Halloween, too.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we have more offensive games like the ones against the Panthers and Vikings, teams will be forced to abandon the run and go to the air.

The defense has to get stops for that to happen as well. In addition we couldn't defend the pass vs. the Saints either.

Staff online

Latest posts