Do we have to win a Lombardi for this season to be a success?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most teams would love to start out 7-0 and would take that alone, but I was wondering how you guys would gauge this season as far as being successful? Is it winning the division and making the playoffs? Winning one playoff game? Going to the SB? Winning the SB?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I would have to say yes. The bar was set last February....and I willingly admit that I didn't see that Super Bowl win coming...I really didn't. Well..... now our guys are marked men. :)

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I'm good ...I'm happy hap HAPPY so far...but I totally feel we are going all the way..again!!

sooooo happy this season! (as well as all past! :p) ... So you may ask ..."why bother posting an opinion if all I am is love for the Pack"... I JUST can't help myself! :inlove:

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Superbowl is the ultimate success, so yes, SB or bust. We have the team to do it, we are 7-0. Anything less would be somewhat beneath us. I'd of course still love my team if they didn't win, but at this point, the SB has got to be the ultimate desire.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Super Bowl WIN.
First last we year we did it, this year the only way we can do it better is by doing it again. Sure a NFC North title (A first for Rodgers if he does it) would be nice, being the number 1 seed in the playoffs is nice too, but the bar is at the highest of repeat. We aren't in rebuild mode where 3rd or 2nd place is acceptable, we have what it takes so the only way to deem this season a success is seeing McCarthy and his boys bringing a second Lombardi home. The closest thing to calling this season a success would be Cobb getting Rookie of the year, Rodgers MVP, Finely Offensive MVP, and Clay or Woodson Defensive MVP, and throwing DD a reward too. But that is less likely than the Packers winning the Super Bowl. So Super Bowl win is the standard

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Yes. Considering we accomplished the ultimate goal last year with even less of our starters, to not do it this year with the way we're playing would be failure.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have always wagered that once you get a taste of the ultimate trophy (lombardi in this case), everything else is not good enough.

To put things on perspective, however, how many teams in the HISTORY of the NFL have repeated as superbowl champions?

Not saying that the packers won't do it (because they certainly have the personnel and talent to do so), but it is an extremely difficult feat.

Nonetheless, its SB or bust (especially for those teams who are actual superbowl contenders, i.e. saints packs patriots (maybe ravens) etc

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To put things on perspective, however, how many teams in the HISTORY of the NFL have repeated as superbowl champions?
I dunno but the Pack is the only team in the history of the NFL to three-peat as champions. And not just once but twice.
I don't wanna get ahead of myself, but I do have a feeling this team could do it again.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most teams would love to start out 7-0 and would take that alone, but I was wondering how you guys would gauge this season as far as being successful? Is it winning the division and making the playoffs? Winning one playoff game? Going to the SB? Winning the SB?
Of course I want the Pack to win it all.
And so far it's a great season for Packers fans.
Lombardi or not, if they keep up this roll then I can look back on how this was a great season.
I don't feel like I need them to win the SB for it to be a successful season. It would sure help though.

The main thing that I want most of all is for Aaron Rodgers to be:
1) Healthy without any season or career ending injuries ready to start the first game next year.
2) Aaron to still be with the Packers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers did it. I assume the Steelers did it among their 4 but not sure. Did the 49ers ever do it? Dallas did with Aikman-Emmitt-Irvin. New England did.
None have 3-peated.

I agree we need the trophy to consider this season a success. But it's been a great season along the way already.....

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers did it. I assume the Steelers did it among their 4 but not sure. Did the 49ers ever do it? Dallas did with Aikman-Emmitt-Irvin. New England did.
None have 3-peated.

I agree we need the trophy to consider this season a success. But it's been a great season along the way already.....

Packers have done it twice :)

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots of 2007 allowed the Packers the opportunity to go undefeated and not win. Then the fans can shrug and say, "It happens, I guess..."

It would be devastating, but I don't think that it would be looked at as a failed season. My dad thinks that we need a loss before hitting the playoffs to give a sense of urgency, show that a loss can happen. While I would LOVE to see a 19-0 Packers team, my dad makes a good point that a loss may help us avoid complacency. Just so long as the loss doesn't come in the playoffs or to a division team :)

There is so much that happens throughout the season, or can even happen in any single game... for this reason, we don't have to win the SB for our season to be a success. You can't take away from the fact that the Packers are looking to shatter the franchise records for PPG and YPG averages. This season is already a success.

North44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think for the general public and maybe for the team, yes, but for me personally, no.

If we have an intact team that is in contention for the Super Bowl every year for the next 10 years or so, and winning another one or two along the way, that would be good with me.

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A winning season, making some noise in the play offs, but not winning the big game is still success. It feels good in the now, gives you hope and pride in your team. Now in 5 years that won't matter unless you win the Superbowl. You don't talk about the 2007 Packers team when comparing era's.. you talk about the 1996 team. A good season is happiness now, a Superbowl is happiness now AND for the rest of your life. Lets face it, can any bear fan EVER shut up about 1985?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I seem to be the minority in this group in thinking that, while a 5th Lombardi would be SWEEEET, without it, our season could still be a success. Of course I like to set the bar high, high, high, but if we make it to Indy & come home w/o the trophy, I will still be very proud of our team for it's accomplishments. We already have a 7-0 starting record which will be 8-0 in eight days. That's an accomplishment in itself. Also, beating the snot out of Chicago & MN will make the year memorable. Always trying to look on the bright side, that's me. Ok, forum, now let me have it. :eek:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Technically ANY team that doesnt win the SB, that season is a failure..

But for me----reality is a successful season is one that they make the playoffs..

L

Lunchboxer

Anything less than a SB Win is unacceptable. If we dont repeat the season is a failure.

We got people returning from injurys last year. We got a full house of talent.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
It amazes me how perspectives change. In the 70's and the 80's any season in which we beat either Minnesota or Chicago (or better yet both teams) twice we considered it a "winning season" or, in other words, a success. Now anything less than a Super Bowl win is a failure? I want it. I expect it, but is our team a failure because they do not win the Super Bowl? I don't think so.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seem to be the minority in this group in thinking that, while a 5th Lombardi would be SWEEEET, without it, our season could still be a success. Of course I like to set the bar high, high, high, but if we make it to Indy & come home w/o the trophy, I will still be very proud of our team for it's accomplishments. We already have a 7-0 starting record which will be 8-0 in eight days. That's an accomplishment in itself. Also, beating the snot out of Chicago & MN will make the year memorable. Always trying to look on the bright side, that's me. Ok, forum, now let me have it. :eek:
I let you have it alright! I let you have it with a "like." So take that!
Why?
Because I welcome you to the 'Great season no matter what' club. ;)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I find it funny that Packer fans who would not consider any of the Vikings season as success because they never won a Super Bowl would even consider anything less for their team. "The rule is, if you don't win the Super Bowl, your season was not a succes." Not sure which Packer fan on which board posted that.

Staff online

Latest posts