Dillon.......keeping defenses honest.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both can be afforded if they are both extended, but I agree with your take about not signing Adams if Rodgers is gone.
I hope you are right. I think they understand the synergy and I bet they are a package deal and will play together whether here or somewhere else next year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have Alexander and Stokes under contract for next season as their top cornerback duo. If they lose Adams they don't have a #1 receiver on the roster.

Therefore I think re-signing him is more important than adding another CB.
I never said sign another CB. I was comparing the two positions. What I said was if I was I would rather pay top dollar for an elite CB than top dollar for an elite WR. I just don't think its a good idea for any team to make any WR the highest paid in the league or even close to it. Its a luxury and I think the money is better spent elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't see how we can afford both. Not without losing other key players and hurting the team.

It won't be easy to fit both Rodgers and Adams under the cap but there's a way to make it work. The Packers are effectively $48 million over the cap for the 2022 season at this point but could create that much cap space by extending Rodgers, Alexander as well as moving on from Z. Smith and Cobb. They would still need to make some moves to re-sign Adams but that could be done by restructuring some other deals.

And I hope Rodgers doesn't squeeze GB for more money. He deserves it, but would he rather have another ring or more $$$?

I highly doubt Rodgers will ask for more money but believe he's more interested in job security.

Another subject - There has been some conversation about what the Packers do with Douglas when Alexander returns. Isn't that answered by benching King? He won't be back next year anyway. The question is who plays slot and if Alexander becomes the "star" player in that D wouldn't he play slot? Or is he better on the wideout? I don't know the answer to those questions. At least it's a good problem to have after so many years of lousy secondary play.

I fully expect King to be the fourth cornerback on the depth chart behind Alexander, Stokes and Douglas once Jaire returns to the field. He will still receive some playing time though.

I never said sign another CB. I was comparing the two positions. What I said was if I was I would rather pay top dollar for an elite CB than top dollar for an elite WR. I just don't think its a good idea for any team to make any WR the highest paid in the league or even close to it. Its a luxury and I think the money is better spent elsewhere.

Gotcha. In my opinion smart teams find ways to retain blue chip players even if it takes a lot of money to sign those guys. Adams is definitely one of them and should be back with the Packers for next season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see how we can afford both. Not without losing other key players and hurting the team. I think what is special about Adams is Rodgers. The understanding between the two makes them both better. I wouldn't sign Adams if Rodgers is gone.
Adams is gonna get $23-24 mil/year. It only makes sense to keep him if Rodgers stays, and I think that's gonna happen after this season.
I think the money could be better spent on the DL, probably the weakest position group on the team (well, not counting STs). I love Adams, but not at $27 mil/year if that's what he wants. I think Rodgers will stay now and that means Adams will stay. When you look at what guys like Julio Jones make, Adams pay day is still likely gonna be $23-24 mil/year with $60-80 mil guaranteed. I don't know how GB pulls that off and then pays Alexander the following year. They usually figure it out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This teams success chances plummet if you fit both Adams and Rodgers under the cap at anything remotely close to their true fair market value. Both would need to take team friendly deals to even make it remotely work for the rest of the roster structure.....talking almost impossible level team friendly contracts.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This teams success chances plummet if you fit both Adams and Rodgers under the cap at anything remotely close to their true fair market value. Both would need to take team friendly deals to even make it remotely work for the rest of the roster structure.....talking almost impossible level team friendly contracts.
That's what I was afraid of. Maybe Rodgers would take a team-friendly deal, but I doubt it. Adams? No way.

Hey Ty - what's that 2021 Comment of the Year about?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. Maybe Rodgers would take a team-friendly deal, but I doubt it. Adams? No way.

Hey Ty - what's that 2021 Comment of the Year about?

Oh back during some discussion, could have even been a shoutbox of a game, typically folks ignorantly spouting off about MVS and RRyder swooped in with that line and I laughed for days.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adams is gonna get $23-24 mil/year. It only makes sense to keep him if Rodgers stays, and I think that's gonna happen after this season.

Actually while Rodgers might be able to perform at a high level even without Adams the Packers would desperately need a #1 wide receiver with Love starting.

I think the money could be better spent on the DL, probably the weakest position group on the team (well, not counting STs). I love Adams, but not at $27 mil/year if that's what he wants. I think Rodgers will stay now and that means Adams will stay. When you look at what guys like Julio Jones make, Adams pay day is still likely gonna be $23-24 mil/year with $60-80 mil guaranteed. I don't know how GB pulls that off and then pays Alexander the following year. They usually figure it out.

The Packers most likely need to extend Alexander next offseason to reduce his cap hit for 2022 to keep or sign other free agents.

I highly doubt either Rodgers or Adams will be interested in agreeing to team friendly deals. With the cap expect to explode in 2023 there's a way to fit both of them under the cap though.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotcha. In my opinion smart teams find ways to retain blue chip players even if it takes a lot of money to sign those guys. Adams is definitely one of them and should be back with the Packers for next season.
I agree 100% and I do hope Adams is a Packer next season. If it takes a record breaking contract to do it I'll be happy that he is still on the team but I still won't think its a good idea that they spent all that money. Those may seem to be contradictory statements but it will be more of a "we'll see" thing.

My main point was that if it truly would come down to only being able to keep either Alexander or Adams I would prefer to keep Alexander. Obviously the best case scenario would be to find a way to keep them both but we all know that would most likely come at a significant cost.

It may be a passing league but I just don't see the elite WRs having as big of an impact as an elite player on defense and if they both command top dollar and you can only afford one I'll take the defensive guy.

The more I've been contemplating this the more I have come to believe that the "it's a passing league" applies if you've got an elite QB and your Oline is pretty good. If that's not the case you had better hope your defense is strong as heck because your elite WR is not going to win you many games on his own.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt either Rodgers or Adams will be interested in agreeing to team friendly deals. With the cap expect to explode in 2023 there's a way to fit both of them under the cap though.
Since first years on new deals tend to be more team friendly with lower base salaries that may be the only saving grace for the Packers being able to keep Rodger and Adams. They can also reduce Alexanders 13 million dollar hit by extending him. If they can just figure out a way to get through 2022 without gutting the team they should be OK providing the cap explodes as much as we are expecting it to.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since first years on new deals tend to be more team friendly with lower base salaries that may be the only saving grace for the Packers being able to keep Rodger and Adams. They can also reduce Alexanders 13 million dollar hit by extending him. If they can just figure out a way to get through 2022 without gutting the team they should be OK providing the cap explodes as much as we are expecting it to.
Alexander has a $13 mil hit in 2022? Wow that seems high for a rookie. But it is what it is. I thought it was closer to $5 mil. I'm no cap expert though. I just know it's not good.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander has a $13 mil hit in 2022? Wow that seems high for a rookie. But it is what it is. I thought it was closer to $5 mil. I'm no cap expert though. I just know it's not good.
The Packers picked up the fifth year option on Alexander which comes with an automatic base salary set by the NFL which is based on several factors which include pro bowl appearances and playing time. Both Alexander and Ward, who were drafted in 2018 and each made 1 pro bowl, have the same salary for 2022 which was guaranteed as soon as the option was picked up.

The Packers will have to decide on picking up he fifth year option which would be 2023 on Darnell savage this offseason as it needs to be done before the players 4th year. Based on the playing time formula his base salary will be almost 8 million, had he made a pro bowl it would be a tad over 11 and had he made 2 it would be 13.5. These are projections for over the cap.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers picked up the fifth year option on Alexander which comes with an automatic base salary set by the NFL which is based on several factors which include pro bowl appearances and playing time.
The Packers picked up the fifth year option on Alexander which comes with an automatic base salary set by the NFL which is based on several factors which include pro bowl appearances and playing time.
Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks very much. I'm surprised he's been with the team that long.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks very much. I'm surprised he's been with the team that long.
Yes, time flies when you have a good one then they are gone but the bad ones it seems like they are here forever.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, time flies when you have a good one then they are gone but the bad ones it seems like they are here forever.
So very true. I can still remember Damarius Randall and Quentin Rollins, 1st and 2nd rounders. Both flops. But the good ones, like Alexander and now Stokes - time flies. So does the money!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes sense for the Packers to re-sign Adams even if Rodgers doesn't come back for the simple reason that they don't want Jordan Love throwing to a WR group that features MVS or Lazard as the #1 target. Gute has been phenomenal in many areas but the WR room is a serious issue next season and I'm sure Gute wants Love to look as good as possible considering he drafted him in the first round. Trotting out your legacy draft selection and letting him throw to a receiving corps lead by the illustrious AJ Dillon at RB isn't the best way to make that pick look good. The Packers will happily bring Adams back as the highest paid receiver in the NFL because the other option is to look like Detroit looks this year (only minus a good TE).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes sense for the Packers to re-sign Adams even if Rodgers doesn't come back for the simple reason that they don't want Jordan Love throwing to a WR group that features MVS or Lazard as the #1 target. Gute has been phenomenal in many areas but the WR room is a serious issue next season and I'm sure Gute wants Love to look as good as possible considering he drafted him in the first round. Trotting out your legacy draft selection and letting him throw to a receiving corps lead by the illustrious AJ Dillon at RB isn't the best way to make that pick look good. The Packers will happily bring Adams back as the highest paid receiver in the NFL because the other option is to look like Detroit looks this year (only minus a good TE).
I agree with you Sunshine. Do you think Adams will stay without Rodgers? I gotta believe Adams wants 1) to get paid and 2) a SB ring. He doesn't have much of a chance at winning a SB with Love at the helm.

Just my opinion - I think Rodgers stays and they find a way to sign Adams. You correctly point out the huge gap between GB's #1WR and the rest of the WR group. None of them stand out as even close to franchise WRs. Gluten missed a huge chance to get one when he selected Love. It's his biggest mistake.

Now they may have trouble doing anything else, and will certainly lose some players like the Smiths, Turner, probably Tonyan and others I can't think of now. That leaves the draft and realistically that will fill maybe one hole on the DL, and that's a lot to ask a rookie drafted near the end of the first round. But enough other pieces are in place that this would still be a very competitive team. They'll have Bakh, Jenkins, Meyers, and Alexander back. They played this year without Z and are still 12-3. Gary is ascending and should be a 10 plus sack guy next year, maybe this year.

And the Packers have a history of finding solid UDFA, and Gluten really proved himself this year with the acquisitions of Campbell and Douglas. So yeah, keep Rodgers and Adams and the rest will be good enough to keep it interesting.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree 100% and I do hope Adams is a Packer next season. If it takes a record breaking contract to do it I'll be happy that he is still on the team but I still won't think its a good idea that they spent all that money. Those may seem to be contradictory statements but it will be more of a "we'll see" thing.

My main point was that if it truly would come down to only being able to keep either Alexander or Adams I would prefer to keep Alexander. Obviously the best case scenario would be to find a way to keep them both but we all know that would most likely come at a significant cost.

It may be a passing league but I just don't see the elite WRs having as big of an impact as an elite player on defense and if they both command top dollar and you can only afford one I'll take the defensive guy.

The more I've been contemplating this the more I have come to believe that the "it's a passing league" applies if you've got an elite QB and your Oline is pretty good. If that's not the case you had better hope your defense is strong as heck because your elite WR is not going to win you many games on his own.

I agree the Packers should keep Alexander over Adams if they decide they can only afford to fit one of them under the cap. They desperately would have to add a #1 wide receiver if that happens though.

They can also reduce Alexanders 13 million dollar hit by extending him. If they can just figure out a way to get through 2022 without gutting the team they should be OK providing the cap explodes as much as we are expecting it to.

In my opinion extending Alexander's contract before the start of the 2022 league year and save $9.6 million of cap space for next season is a no-brainer.

The Packers will have to decide on picking up he fifth year option which would be 2023 on Darnell savage this offseason as it needs to be done before the players 4th year. Based on the playing time formula his base salary will be almost 8 million, had he made a pro bowl it would be a tad over 11 and had he made 2 it would be 13.5. These are projections for over the cap.

Don't forget the Packers will need to make a decision on exercising the fifth year option on next offseason on Gary as well.

But enough other pieces are in place that this would still be a very competitive team.

The Packers will be a competitive team in 2022 as long as Rodgers is around. If Love starts there's no way they make the playoffs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well barring some significant improvements from Love and others youre probably right.
Some of the posters here don't believe that players can make significant improvements and that the GM can fill holes with players yet unknown to us or probably them right now. They see things as they currently exist with no vision whatsoever to what they can become. They are the unbelievers, the negative Nancy's amongst us that continually spout the mantra of impending doom. And they are weighing in heavily in this thread with absolute and definitive statements of what will be. They were doing this prior to this 3 year run engineered by LaFleur. They continue to have no faith in management or coaching staff. It's who they are. The definitive statements of doom are just a train load of bravo sierra.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the Packers should keep Alexander over Adams if they decide they can only afford to fit one of them under the cap. They desperately would have to add a #1 wide receiver if that happens though.

In my opinion extending Alexander's contract before the start of the 2022 league year and save $9.6 million of cap space for next season is a no-brainer.

Don't forget the Packers will need to make a decision on exercising the fifth year option on next offseason on Gary as well.

The Packers will be a competitive team in 2022 as long as Rodgers is around. If Love starts there's no way they make the playoffs.
From the way he's been acting, I think Rodgers will be around in 2022. Then again he's a mercurial guy, so who knows? I can envision a scenario where the Packers win the SB and he retires with a win. But yeah, without him, 2022 is a bust, barring a miracle.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of the posters here don't believe that players can make significant improvements and that the GM can fill holes with players yet unknown to us or probably them right now. They see things as they currently exist with no vision whatsoever to what they can become. They are the unbelievers, the negative Nancy's amongst us that continually spout the mantra of impending doom. And they are weighing in heavily in this thread with absolute and definitive statements of what will be. They were doing this prior to this 3 year run engineered by LaFleur. They continue to have no faith in management or coaching staff. It's who they are. The definitive statements of doom are just a train load of bravo sierra.
I'm one of those who doesn't believe Love can take the team to the playoffs in 2022. Now that assumes Love will be the QB, and you're right, that's as of today. Things could change. I just think that Gluten would give the guy he handpicked at least a year to prove himself. I'd like to be surprised, hell I'd like to be wrong. I just don't see it in 2022.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Jordan Love sucks.

If he can turn complete suck-age into a playoff competitive quarterback in less than a year, it'll be quite the feat.

Members online

Latest posts