Dillon.......keeping defenses honest.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Love sucks.

If he can turn complete suck-age into a playoff competitive quarterback in less than a year, it'll be quite the feat.
Well we all saw him play an entire game against the Chiefs. Granted it's the Chiefs but they weren't playing well at that time. And then some would say Rodgers got off to a lousy start so we should wait. Maybe they're right but I don't see Love as "the guy" going forward. The QB position is changing, and a lot of that started with Rodgers and throwing off his feet, traditionally a no no. Look at his results. Now you've got guys like Wilson, Mahomes, Murray, Allen - not really traditional running QBs, but certainly guys who don't play the game like Unitas and Starr. In the right play, they can make almost any throw to any receiver anywhere on the field. This is what QBs are all gonna look like in 10 years. Love is not one of them. Just my opinion.

D

Deleted member 6794

Some of the posters here don't believe that players can make significant improvements and that the GM can fill holes with players yet unknown to us or probably them right now. They see things as they currently exist with no vision whatsoever to what they can become. They are the unbelievers, the negative Nancy's amongst us that continually spout the mantra of impending doom. And they are weighing in heavily in this thread with absolute and definitive statements of what will be. They were doing this prior to this 3 year run engineered by LaFleur. They continue to have no faith in management or coaching staff. It's who they are. The definitive statements of doom are just a train load of bravo sierra.

Actually it's a pretty realistic take that the Packers won't be able to make the playoffs with Love starting in 2022. First of all he struggled in his only regular season game he played meaningful snaps in and it was obvious it will take him some time to improve to a decent level. In addition the team will need to create some cap space next season, meaning the overall talent level on the roster will decline.

There's hope the team might be able to rebuild in time for the 2023 season as long as Love turns out to be at least an average starter but there's not a lot of optimism for next year if the team moves on from Rodgers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't disagree at all the Packers would struggle to be a playoff team in 22 without Rodgers/Adams on board. I'm also assuming that Z. Smith will be released.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually it's a pretty realistic take that the Packers won't be able to make the playoffs with Love starting in 2022. First of all he struggled in his only regular season game he played meaningful snaps in and it was obvious it will take him some time to improve to a decent level. In addition the team will need to create some cap space next season, meaning the overall talent level on the roster will decline.

There's hope the team might be able to rebuild in time for the 2023 season as long as Love turns out to be at least an average starter but there's not a lot of optimism for next year if the team moves on from Rodgers.
Yeah unless they can pull a rabbit out of a hat, Love would be the guy in 2022. I have no idea really if he can grow into a decent game manager as QB. Rodgers didn't start out well and I'm not expecting another Rodgers.

It seems though that Rodgers wants to stay. That means they do what they have to do to sign Adams. With the current cap situation, that likely means a lot of cuts - the Smiths, Turner, maybe Tonyan - and no room for any FAs. They'll have to work to sign the draft class. They'll have a good team with Rodgers/Adams. SB-worthy? Probably not but who knows? If Gluten can find more guys like Campbell or Douglas to help the DL, anything is possible.

Do you think Rodgers will be back next year?

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't disagree at all the Packers would struggle to be a playoff team in 22 without Rodgers/Adams on board. I'm also assuming that Z. Smith will be released.
You don't think there would be 9-10 wins on the Packers schedule considering they play the NFCE, AFCE, NFCN next season. I expect the defense alone to be able to contribute to 4-5 wins.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't think there would be 9-10 wins on the Packers schedule considering they play the NFCE, AFCE, NFCN next season. I expect the defense alone to be able to contribute to 4-5 wins.
That's interesting Poppa. The NFCE has been weak for a long time, although I expect Philly to be good next year. I really think Rodgers will be back though.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, going off of what I have seen and admittedly its not much, I would say no.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at next year's schedule. Without Rodgers and Adams? We're not going to be as good as Minnesota. The schedule itself, based on this year's play of the scheduled teams? It's tough. Lots of perennially good teams there.

Just a guess, but we'd be looking at being a wild card entry in the playoffs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

We'll have to see what the 22 roster looks like but I'm very optimistic for next year. Looking forward to it with great uncertainty. If we don't win the super bowl this year,
i would expect one of our division foes to be right there with us duking it out for the top spot. I wouldn't expect our record to be good enough to get a wild card spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers didn't start out well and I'm not expecting another Rodgers.

While the Packers only went 6-10 in Rodgers' first season as the starter the offense ranked fifth in points scored in the league that year. They mostly struggled because of their defense.
It seems though that Rodgers wants to stay. That means they do what they have to do to sign Adams. With the current cap situation, that likely means a lot of cuts - the Smiths, Turner, maybe Tonyan - and no room for any FAs. They'll have to work to sign the draft class. They'll have a good team with Rodgers/Adams. SB-worthy? Probably not but who knows? If Gluten can find more guys like Campbell or Douglas to help the DL, anything is possible.

Do you think Rodgers will be back next year?

I believe Rodgers will be back with the Packers next season. As long as his performance doesn't drop-off he makes them a legit contender.

No, I don't believe this year's team would be able to win a lot of games with Love starting and next year's squad will most likely not feature as much talent because of the cap situation the Packers are in.

Looking at next year's schedule. Without Rodgers and Adams? We're not going to be as good as Minnesota. The schedule itself, based on this year's play of the scheduled teams? It's tough. Lots of perennially good teams there.

Just a guess, but we'd be looking at being a wild card entry in the playoffs.

I guess the Packers would be closer to competing for the #1 overall pick in 2023 than for a wild card spot with Love starting next season.

We'll have to see what the 22 roster looks like but I'm very optimistic for next year. Looking forward to it with great uncertainty. If we don't win the super bowl this year,

i would expect one of our division foes to be right there with us duking it out for the top spot. I wouldn't expect our record to be good enough to get a wild card spot.

It's true that we have no idea about how the Packers roster will look like in 2022. With the team running into issues with the cap next offseason it's reasonable to assume they will lose some talent though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the stats on Rodgers first year. Puts things in perspective. In a team sport, I guess individual performances have to be graded on a curve, or at least relative to the overall quality of the team.

And yeah - next year I think we'll have Rodgers and Adams, and Gluten will have to work some magic to make up for all the cuts that will be necessary. I think the Smiths, Turner, and maybe Tonyan will be gone. I think it's a contract year for Tonyan. He won't be cheap even with the injury.

Anyone else likely to get cut?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's highly optimistic. Keep in mind that Love will probably be leading an offense that doesn't have Adams. The defense might get 4-5 wins but if Love is the QB I suspect the offense might get 1-2 wins, tops (this is not a shot at Love just a realistic expectation of a young QB's first year starting).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's highly optimistic. Keep in mind that Love will probably be leading an offense that doesn't have Adams. The defense might get 4-5 wins but if Love is the QB I suspect the offense might get 1-2 wins, tops (this is not a shot at Love just a realistic expectation of a young QB's first year starting).
I agree. And GB will be playing next year's NFCE, AFCE. The Cowboys are formidable, the Eagles are on the rise and have 3 first round picks. Washington has a solid D. That leaves the Giants (everyone wants to play the Giants).

And anyway, Rodgers will be back next year. So will Adams. A lot of other guys will be cap casualties - like the Smiths, Turner, Tonyan and I'm sure a few others. This year's team has a very good chance to win a SB. We might nota see this again even if Rodgers and Adams return.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought Dillon was a load to bring down, how would you like to have try and stop this?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Dillon was a load to bring down, how would you like to have try and stop this?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Reminds me of the Refrigerator! I mean, is there a way to stop that? You'd have to totally sell out for the run, and that wouldn't be wise. Thanks Poker. Now imagine Dillon running into Viqueens tomorrow with a temp around zero. Ouch!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take his legs out and hope he doesn't stretch for or reach the goal line when he falls.
Yeah you'd have to wrap up his legs. The defender would have to split a gap and get him before he takes more than a few steps. That's the only way the Queens will be able to stop Dillon Sunday. And with the temp around zero? It's gonna be hard just to get started. And when they do hit him, especially if they hit him around the thighs (rocks) it's gonna hurt like hell.

I love watching games like that. No other multi-millionaire has to work in those conditions.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Reminds me of the Refrigerator! I mean, is there a way to stop that?
Take his legs out and hope he doesn't stretch for or reach the goal line when he falls.

I say you throw a nice big mouth watering steak in the backfield, if you are lucky, he goes for it! :whistling:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or fall on you.

I say you throw a nice big mouth watering steak in the backfield, if you are lucky, he goes for it! :whistling:
I don't know if you get a body like that by eating steak. Make it a dozen Kwik Trip Glazers and maybe you've got a chance.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the Smiths, Turner, and maybe Tonyan will be gone. I think it's a contract year for Tonyan. He won't be cheap even with the injury.

Anyone else likely to get cut?

Well, here's a list of players aside of the ones you mentioned whose release would result in cap savings:

Cobb $6.858 million
Clark $5.65 million
Amos $4.654 million
Lowry $3.934 million
Lewis $2.445 million
Crosby $2.395 million

I highly doubt the Packers defense is good enough to account for 4-5 wins as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think if somehow the Packers manage to get Rodgers back and possibly Adams, they will try to craft things in a way that allows them to keep the old band together, as much as possible.

If Rodgers is gone, I say cut all the fat and start your rebuild.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do people really think that Rodgers and thus Adams arent going to be members of the Packers in 2022?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts