Dillon.......keeping defenses honest.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Packers defense is good enough to account for 4-5 wins as well.

If they don't have to gut the defense next season they might, recall that the Packers get to play the Lions twice, the Giants, and the Jets. Throw in the Dolphins and the Eagles and the Packers defense might be good enough to shut those teams down.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do people really think that Rodgers and thus Adams arent going to be members of the Packers in 2022?

There's a distinct possibility both Rodgers and Adams aren't back with the Packers next year, especially considering the dire cap situation the team is in for the 2022 season.

If they don't have to gut the defense next season they might, recall that the Packers get to play the Lions twice, the Giants, and the Jets. Throw in the Dolphins and the Eagles and the Packers defense might be good enough to shut those teams down.

I don't think so as the defense won't have the benefit of an offense putting up a significant amount of points as well as keeping them off the field more often.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do people really think that Rodgers and thus Adams arent going to be members of the Packers in 2022?

I think the more appropriate question at this point given all which has transpired plus the cap situation (with less than 40 players signed even) is are there people that really believe Rodgers and Adams are going to be members of the Packers in 2022?

Without a total GUTTING of the roster, one of them are not going to be a Packer next year. I'm about 94.89% sure of this personally and I would bet on Adams being the one gone.

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon looks like he's fitting in to the Wisconsin culture, rocking his Carhartt coveralls. Says he wore them to the press conference to honor the faithful from Door County who game him the key to the County. Love it.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the more appropriate question at this point given all which has transpired plus the cap situation (with less than 40 players signed even) is are there people that really believe Rodgers and Adams are going to be members of the Packers in 2022?

Without a total GUTTING of the roster, one of them are not going to be a Packer next year. I'm about 94.89% sure of this personally and I would bet on Adams being the one gone.
Come on, we all know that they are going to win the Super Bowl and after that all the players will be so giddy, they will all agree to pay cuts and team friendly discounts, this is the way it works. :rolleyes::coffee:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a distinct possibility both Rodgers and Adams aren't back with the Packers next year, especially considering the dire cap situation the team is in for the 2022 season.

Theres always the possibility of anything happening however in this case I put that possibility somewhere right around no chance...so definitely not distinct

Id bet that you voted for the Packers, in the where will Rodgers play poll...and thats because thats what logic says will happen not because thats what your heart wants to happen even tho both happen to be true

And if Rodgers stays I see absolutely no chance Adams leaves

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if Rodgers stays I see absolutely no chance Adams leaves

I'm just gonna slide this into my signature for now so I don't forget. I happen to fall in the other camp, if Rodgers is here in 2022 it will be without Adams - unless somehow under God's shining sun we find the money to franchise tag him, which I also find nearly as impossible. I'm about 95% sure we will not have both here in 2022.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just gonna slide this into my signature for now so I don't forget. I happen to fall in the other camp, if Rodgers is here in 2022 it will be without Adams - unless somehow under God's shining sun we find the money to franchise tag him, which I also find nearly as impossible. I'm about 95% sure we will not have both here in 2022.

Theyve already put it in the media that they gonna tag him...?

But yeah I stand by that, theres no way Rodgers is in GB without Adams. Theyre definitely a package deal at this point, that much is evident especially with Rodgers recent comments

I dont believe the salary cap is gonna be as big of a problem as some do...its gonna be more kick the can down the line to a time when the salary cap is a lot higher

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Theyve already put it in the media that they gonna tag him...?

But yeah I stand by that, theres no way Rodgers is in GB without Adams. Theyre definitely a package deal at this point, that much is evident especially with Rodgers recent comments

I dont believe the salary cap is gonna be as big of a problem as some do...its gonna be more kick the can down the line to a time when the salary cap is a lot higher

A reporter put it in the media that they will likely tag Adams. I seriously doubt he has heard anything with any credibility from anyone within the Packers organization on the matter. Another case of throw enough **** at the wall and some is bound to stick.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A reporter put it in the media that they will likely tag Adams. I seriously doubt he has heard anything with any credibility from anyone within the Packers organization on the matter. Another case of throw enough **** at the wall and some is bound to stick.

Thought I saw something on the offcial team site...I could be wrong but either way you dont think those reporters leak stories for the team?

Either way at minimum they will franchise him obviously they intend to sign him to a long term deal. But certainly theres no way they let him hit the open market unhindered by a tag

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I agree. There's not a chance in hell Rodgers agrees to come back without Davante. No chance. Unless Davante expresses a desire to go to another team offering way more money. But if it's the Packers telling Rodgers they can't/won't bring Davante back, Rodgers is bouncing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
if it's the Packers telling Rodgers they can't/won't bring Davante back, Rodgers is bouncing.
I doubt the Packers don't keep Rodgers and Davante because they don't want to, it might end up being because they can't afford/justify what it would take to keep them both, while keeping the rest of the team competitive. If Rodgers doesn't see that for what it is, then he doesn't fully understand the business side of football.

As far as bouncing, unless they worked a side deal out that Rodgers can force a trade at the end of this season, he might only have the option of playing for the Packers or retiring.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt the Packers don't keep Rodgers and Davante because they don't want to, it might end up being because they can't afford/justify what it would take to keep them both, while keeping the rest of the team competitive. If Rodgers doesn't see that for what it is, then he doesn't fully understand the business side of football.

As far as bouncing, unless they worked a side deal out that Rodgers can force a trade at the end of this season, he might only have the option of playing for the Packers or retiring.
i actually think that is why he has subtly floated the idea out there that retirement is a possibility. He knows the Packers still have that leverage for next year. I doubt he wants to retire, but he most definitely wants control of his future.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i actually think that is why he has subtly floated the idea out there that retirement is a possibility. He knows the Packers still have that leverage for next year. I doubt he wants to retire, but he most definitely wants control of his future.
Financially, Rodgers retiring could do the Packers more good than if he stays or is traded, but in either of those cases, you are getting a lot in exchange for him still playing, his performance if he stays, his trade value if they trade him. The worst scenario for the Packers is letting him walk as a FA in 2023.

I think if Rodgers doesn't retire, he remains a Packer and they extend his contract in such a way that it allows them a lot more cap flexibility for the next season or two.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Rodgers doesn't retire, he remains a Packer and they extend his contract in such a way that it allows them a lot more cap flexibility for the next season or two.
I agree… and I suspect that is ultimately what Rodgers wants, but I think he also wants a contract that shows commitment to him by the Packers. Floating a possible retirement out there is his subtle leverage… which also assumes that the Packers want this as well.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree… and I suspect that is ultimately what Rodgers wants, but I think he also wants a contract that shows commitment to him by the Packers. Floating a possible retirement out there is his subtle leverage… which also assumes that the Packers want this as well.

Also agreed.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do something silly and give him what is effectively a 3-5 year deal but is technically a 7-10 year deal on paper (or whatever the maximum is these days) so spread the cap hit out over several years. End hand waving here.

The exact structure TBD, but that'll be the kind of approach they take to give him as much money as both parties are happy with and ties Rodgers to the Packers such that a 2-3 year cut/trade is cap prohibitive.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
With Rodgers' cap number, I don't think it's feasible for him to come back without him agreeing to an extension or restructure. And if he doesn't agree to anything, he holds all of the cards in his hands.

Could the Packers make it work without reworking his cap number? Maybe, but it would require absolutely gutting the team.

So in my opinion, Rodgers holds a lot of the cards in this situation.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With Rodgers' cap number, I don't think it's feasible for him to come back without him agreeing to an extension or restructure. And if he doesn't agree to anything, he holds all of the cards in his hands.

Could the Packers make it work without reworking his cap number? Maybe, but it would require absolutely gutting the team.

So in my opinion, Rodgers holds a lot of the cards in this situation.
7 Months ago, I would have been more nervous about this. You are right, Rodgers is in a much better position than he was back then. However, it appears that he is trying to very subtly repair things on his side. That could mean one of 2 things: He truly is happy again and wants to stay in Green Bay and will work with the Packers front office to make things work with his contract. Or, it could just be to repair some of the damage that he did and in the end make it look like he was good to go, but this time it was the Packers front office that wasn't. I tend to think its a little bit of both.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7 Months ago, I would have been more nervous about this. You are right, Rodgers is in a much better position than he was back then. However, it appears that he is trying to very subtly repair things on his side. That could mean one of 2 things: He truly is happy again and wants to stay in Green Bay and will work with the Packers front office to make things work with his contract. Or, it could just be to repair some of the damage that he did and in the end make it look like he was good to go, but this time it was the Packers front office that wasn't. I tend to think its a little bit of both.
The more I watch this thing play out, I believe it hinges on them making it to the Super Bowl. If they do, and win it, we'll see guys rework contracts to try to get a return visit next year. If we don't get there, I think it's going to be house cleaning. It all depends on what happens from here on in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The more I watch this thing play out, I believe it hinges on them making it to the Super Bowl. If they do, and win it, we'll see guys rework contracts to try to get a return visit next year. If we don't get there, I think it's going to be house cleaning. It all depends on what happens from here on in.
Agreed. Winning heals all wounds. There is some good and bad that will come out of a very successful season. Players like Douglas, Campbell, Patrick and obviously the big one, Davante Adams, are going to raise some eyebrows in Free agency and going to be very hard to resign. But I don't think an early exit or a Super Bowl win changes that.

Everyone loves success and Super Bowl wins represent the pinnacle of NFL success. Some players will want to try and get another one with the Packers, but some players will have gotten that ring and now want to get the money that they feel they deserve. Bad year to be completely cap strapped for the next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's a possibility for the Packers to create enough cap space even without moving on from a lot of players to keep both Rodgers and Adams for next season.

There's also a chance the team decides it's time to make a change and start a rebuild.

At this point nobody knows about their plans but this offseason will definitely be more interesting than most others in recent years.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a possibility for the Packers to create enough cap space even without moving on from a lot of players to keep both Rodgers and Adams for next season.

There's also a chance the team decides it's time to make a change and start a rebuild.

At this point nobody knows about their plans but this offseason will definitely be more interesting than most others in recent years.
I think the decision to pursue keeping the band together hinges on how well this playoff season goes. If they go all the way, they pull out all the stops and do whatever they can to keep it rolling. If they're beaten in their first game, I don't think they try too hard, to keep it together.

Either way, it's going to be an interesting ride, and the speculation surrounding it all will be as intense, if not more intense, than the Rodgers soap opera.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the decision to pursue keeping the band together hinges on how well this playoff season goes. If they go all the way, they pull out all the stops and do whatever they can to keep it rolling. If they're beaten in their first game, I don't think they try too hard, to keep it together.

Either way, it's going to be an interesting ride, and the speculation surrounding it all will be as intense, if not more intense, than the Rodgers soap opera.
I agree. However, a SB win could have several effects and be different from player to player. First, the one you describe... "This was great, let's try to repeat by keeping as much of this team together as we can." The second effect might possibly be.... "We did it, I have my SB ring, now its time to go get the money" or for some like Rodgers, Lewis, Cobb..."That was great, time to end my career on a high note and retire."

I think everyone agrees though, the next 5 weeks + the offseason, could be quite the roller coaster ride for the Packers and their fans.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. However, a SB win could have several effects and be different from player to player. First, the one you describe... "This was great, let's try to repeat by keeping as much of this team together as we can." The second effect might possibly be.... "We did it, I have my SB ring, now its time to go get the money" or for some like Rodgers, Lewis, Cobb..."That was great, time to end my career on a high note and retire."

I think everyone agrees though, the next 5 weeks + the offseason, could be quite the roller coaster ride for the Packers and their fans.

Theyres guys that are good as gone cuz the Packers arent gonna have the money whether they win the SB or not.

Id put Sullivan, Lowry. MVS, and unfortunately Campbell and 1 of the Smiths on that list. And more and more Im feeling like Billy Turner will be there too as it seems they have guys that could step in for him. Also I feel theyre likely to draft a tackle fairly high.

Id say all the core guys would probably wanna come back, now are they gonna take a pay cut to come back I doubt it. Adams and Rodgers certainly arent. Cobb is only guy I could see on that list.

I think Crosby only one that walks away

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Theyres guys that are good as gone cuz the Packers arent gonna have the money whether they win the SB or not.

Id put Sullivan, Lowry. MVS, and unfortunately Campbell and 1 of the Smiths on that list. And more and more Im feeling like Billy Turner will be there too as it seems they have guys that could step in for him. Also I feel theyre likely to draft a tackle fairly high.

Id say all the core guys would probably wanna come back, now are they gonna take a pay cut to come back I doubt it. Adams and Rodgers certainly arent. Cobb is only guy I could see on that list.

I think Crosby only one that walks away
I'm fine with Sullivan, Lowry, MVS and 1 of the Smiths not on the Packers next season. I think it is more important to prioritize resigning Campbell and Douglas. Turner is an easy cut and save and replaceable. I'll take Lazard over MVS, based on total contribution and expected price.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts