Dillon.......keeping defenses honest.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Dillon plays more like Lacy than Henry, with the exception being Lacy had really nimble feet for his size. Dillon is faster/more explosive.

Regarding Dillon and catching the ball, he didn't do a lot of it in games, but man, he sure looks natural doing it. Just because he hasn't done it, doesn't mean he can't. There were a decent number of people here that thought Aaron Jones couldn't catch either...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Dillon plays more like Lacy than Henry, with the exception being Lacy had really nimble feet for his size. Dillon is faster/more explosive.

Regarding Dillon and catching the ball, he didn't do a lot of it in games, but man, he sure looks natural doing it. Just because he hasn't done it, doesn't mean he can't. There were a decent number of people here that thought Aaron Jones couldn't catch either...

I'd argue he looks much more fluid and natural catching than Jones did coming out. What Jones does now is amazing, and I know he has said he spent a ton of time working on that aspect of his game and it shows!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lacy was a block reading quick stepper with a choppy gait while Dillon is much more of an explosive one cut and up long strider type. Running style couldnt be more different. You wouldn't see Dillon patiently letting his blocks develop like you would with Lacy but with Lacy you pretty much needed to let him run out of deep sets to let him build up speed before getting to the line while Dillon pretty much reliably hits gaps at speed regardless of where he takes the handoff.

In workouts Dillon and Henry were practically the same guy. If youre trying to judge their tape, Henry ran out of a stacked Bama Offense while Dillon was basically the only real threat on his BC squads. It's hard to judge two players with such a disparity in talent.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy was a block reading quick stepper with a choppy gait while Dillon is much more of an explosive one cut and up long strider type. Running style couldnt be more different. You wouldn't see Dillon patiently letting his blocks develop like you would with Lacy but with Lacy you pretty much needed to let him run out of deep sets to let him build up speed before getting to the line while Dillon pretty much reliably hits gaps at speed regardless of where he takes the handoff.

In workouts Dillon and Henry were practically the same guy. If youre trying to judge their tape, Henry ran out of a stacked Bama Offense while Dillon was basically the only real threat on his BC squads. It's hard to judge two players with such a disparity in talent.
It's kind of hard to be a long strider when you don't have long legs. Henry is 4 inches taller than Dillon and a higher center of gravity. What you are describing isn't Dillon at all. It seems that you are making the comparison strictly because of the similarities in testing at the combine. He's quicker on his feet, but he's not as explosive or as fast as Henry

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's kind of hard to be a long strider when you don't have long legs. Henry is 4 inches taller than Dillon and a higher center of gravity. What you are describing isn't Dillon at all. It seems that you are making the comparison strictly because of the similarities in testing at the combine. He's quicker on his feet, but he's not as explosive or as fast as Henry

I've watched Dillon's highlights and his snaps from a couple games. He's not a short stepper and when he has actual holes to run through he looks pretty damned explosive to me. It wasn't lost on me that while Henry played on an offense surrounded by first second and third rounders, Dillon didn't. At 6'0 he's pretty tall for a running back, granted long strider is a stretch i'll agree but I dont see him as much of shuffle type, or much of a dancer either. This is more a reference to running style.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with most, but I don't see the speed difference at all. What I think may be the difference is I wonder if Henry has the slight acceleration edge on Dillon, but they both tested similar speeds (nearly identical). I love both their styles and I just hope we all can be arguing in a year or two who runs best...if Dillon is in the debate with Henry that is GOOD FOR US!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

On the other hand just because Aaron Jones developed into a excellent pass catcher at the pro level in his third season doesn't mean Dillon will be capable of it as well.

As a side note, Henry hasn't been used much as a receiver in the NFL either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Derrick Henry has really small hands-- 8.75" (14th%).

A.J. Dillon's hands are bigger than average-- 9.6" (77th%).

That can make a difference when it comes to catch the ball cleanly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derrick Henry has really small hands-- 8.75" (14th%).

A.J. Dillon's hands are bigger than average-- 9.6" (77th%).

That can make a difference when it comes to catch the ball cleanly.

Holy crap I never caught that Henry as big as he is has "tiny" hands for such a beast.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand just because Aaron Jones developed into a excellent pass catcher at the pro level in his third season doesn't mean Dillon will be capable of it as well.

As a side note, Henry hasn't been used much as a receiver in the NFL either.

Right. I'm just using Jones as an example. "There's no reason to believe Jones can become a good passing option." Those are words you said. Players can improve. Obviously not all do.

What I'm trying to say is that when you see Dillon catch the ball, you can tell he does it naturally. He has big, soft, hands. Other evidence would be his low fumble rate. Just shows he has good hands. Now I'm not saying he's going to be McCaffrey or Kamara, I just don't think there's any evidence he's a non-factor in the passing game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. I'm just using Jones as an example. "There's no reason to believe Jones can become a good passing option." Those are words you said. Players can improve. Obviously not all do.

What I'm trying to say is that when you see Dillon catch the ball, you can tell he does it naturally. He has big, soft, hands. Other evidence would be his low fumble rate. Just shows he has good hands. Now I'm not saying he's going to be McCaffrey or Kamara, I just don't think there's any evidence he's a non-factor in the passing game.

So now you're comparing him and predicting he is the next McCaffrey or Kamara....oh geeeeesh

LOL :p:p

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm just using Jones as an example. "There's no reason to believe Jones can become a good passing option." Those are words you said. Players can improve. Obviously not all do.

I have admitted that I was wrong about Jones on several occasions. We'll see if Dillon is able to develop into a decent receiver as well.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a one man wrecking crew! Definitely a shared #1 with Jones than a #2. He's a certified monster!

Reaction score
I can't wait to see him chewing up yards in sub freezing temps in the 4th quarter of playoff games in Lambeau.
He’s so fun to watch when you’re winning by 9+ points and there’s 5-6 minutes left in the 4th. Every Dillon smash mouth Run for a 1st down is like scoring another point. It’s a slow, methodical humiliation, getting beat like that.. and you can’t stop it. It’s like watching yourself bleed out after you crap your pants.. it’s like.. ok ok..
I’ll stop!

D

Deleted member 6794

He’s so fun to watch when you’re winning by 9+ points and there’s 5-6 minutes left in the 4th. Every Dillon smash mouth Run for a 1st down is like scoring another point. It’s a slow, methodical humiliation, getting beat like that.. and you can’t stop it. It’s like watching yourself bleed out after you crap your pants.. it’s like.. ok ok..
I’ll stop!

I was surprised that Dillon didn't receive a single carry in the fourth quarter vs. the Ravens.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was arguably the only major thing that left me scratching my head yesterday as well.
Funny because I thought they were running too much early on, given the depleted Raven secondary. But as sschind noted, that's part of MLF's MO - keep em guessing. But the run always sets up the pass, so it was weird they didn't run Dillon in Q4. Although Rodgers was pretty much moving the ball at will. It was the D's performance that kept that game close. That's two weeks in a row so hopefully they get back to form.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm loving our running backs right now. I'm thinking this is the best RB tandem we've had in a very long time..

Reaction score
Funny because I thought they were running too much early on, given the depleted Raven secondary. But as sschind noted, that's part of MLF's MO - keep em guessing. But the run always sets up the pass, so it was weird they didn't run Dillon in Q4. Although Rodgers was pretty much moving the ball at will. It was the D's performance that kept that game close. That's two weeks in a row so hopefully they get back to form.
I’ll keep this short to get back to Dillon. It’s amazing how much difference our Defense looks without Kenny Clark. It’s very noticeable our D is operating a notch down without the usual aspect of Kenny blowing up the middle.

Dillon only averaged like 3.1 per Run, but in 8 touches (7 runs + 1 reception) he accounted for 2- 1st downs and a goaline TD. Once again, he seems to get better when he gets 15+ carries. It’s almost like it takes him 10 touches to get warmed up.

In response to @captainWIMM and possibly several others, I can’t help but wonder if we are purposefully limiting his usage to keep him healthy for January ball. He proved his worth last playoffs and he’s even more formidable in inclement weather. He’s like a Superduty in 4WD with a new set of snow tires. Hard to stop

I’m also very pleased with his ability in the passing game. He has exceptional hands for a big guy

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll keep this short to get back to Dillon. It’s amazing how much difference our Defense looks without Kenny Clark. It’s very noticeable our D is operating a notch down without the usual aspect of Kenny blowing up the middle.

Dillon only averaged like 3.1 per Run, but in 8 touches (7 runs + 1 reception) he accounted for 2- 1st downs and a goaline TD. Once again, he seems to get better when he gets 15+ carries. It’s almost like it takes him 10 touches to get warmed up.

In response to @captainWIMM and possibly several others, I can’t help but wonder if we are purposefully limiting his usage to keep him healthy for January ball. He proved his worth last playoffs and he’s even more formidable in inclement weather. He’s like a Superduty in 4WD with a new set of snow tires. Hard to stop

I’m also very pleased with his ability in the passing game. He has exceptional hands for a big guy
Good observation (keeping Dillon fresh for the playoffs), especially with the other injury woes. I'm not convinced Jones is all the way back. And yeah, Dillon needs 10 - carries to get warmed up. The guy is formidable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think MLF likes to keep people guessing. Zig when everyone thinks you are are going to go the other way.

I'm fine with keeping the defense guessing but with a lead in the fourth quarter it makes more sense to run the ball occasionally even if the opponent is aware of what's coming.

In response to @captainWIMM and possibly several others, I can’t help but wonder if we are purposefully limiting his usage to keep him healthy for January ball.

I honestly don't think that was a factor.

Latest posts