Dillon.......keeping defenses honest.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opposing cornerbacks beware.
He is as big as the linebackers trying to tackle him.... They insist on this one cut zone scheme. And now they have a big fullback sizes running back that runs a 4.5 40!? Lol. One cut and pound it is the plan. The 4.5 speed should be enough to make them pay if he breaks through. I'm hoping he is one of those "faster than his 40" types of guys. Considering he got his 248 pounds across the line in 4.51 seconds. He may surprise with another gear??? Like Jordy surprised...
Even if he doesn't... I guarantee we didn't draft him for his speed. If I remember he had a 41 " vert and 130+" broad ... I was like huh!?
Didn't draft him for that either. Although his burst is going to be impressive.
He is a tank. He will get the hard yard .He will finish the runs. And he will be able to take the pounding of 20+ carries a game if we need... That imo is why we drafted him... One cut and point it . 250 pound torpedo.....

Strategically. It's going to open up our entire offense. You think those quick CBS are going to be effective against our new monster rb? Doubt it. You think the safety/lb tweeners are going to be effective? Eh..... I like our chances.....

Big burst. Big guy. Big speed.... Going to force defenses to play bigger....

That will open up the field for #12... Big time .

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say he is actually bigger than some of the trendy ILBs these days. It may be an interesting dilemma for teams like the bears to have a ILB Smith who is 20+ lbs lighter than Dillon.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if he gets into that 230-235 range he'll be a lot better.

Regardless, he's good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dillon didn't get a lot of receiving opportunities at BC, but he caught the ball cleaning when he got the chance. He looked good running routes and catching passes at the combine, and evidently our area scout that had BC said that he looked good as a receiver in practice.

If he is genuinely a dual threat back, then this pick will provide better value than if he's just the early down hammer that he's perceived to be by many.

Bobby D

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just woke up from a 5 day drunk. How’d we do with the draft? Get Queen? One of those 72 WR’s, run stuffer to stop SF steamroller? Goopie score big again like last couple of years?

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
If you look at Dillon's physique, he is a chiseled 248... not an Eddie Lacy 248. Running a 4.5 40 at 248 is pretty impressive, I see him as the #2 RB in our RB by committee philosophy alternating with A Jones. I see J Williams as the #3, mainly used in 3rd and long situations, regardless if Jones or Dillon are the featured back in a drive, because he is the best blocker of the 3.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Ok. His vertical tied Saquon at 41” and so he’s heavier than Eddie Lacy or Derrick Henry but a smidge faster and stronger than either coming out of college. Who cares! He’s obviously all blubber!

If he doesn’t work out at RB can we PLEASE move him to ILB?:eek:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon is a bad man honestly. In the good sense of the word LOL. He is the perfect pairing with Aaron, stack the box and he will still grind 2-3 yards...miss a tackle and he'll get 7 more....

Aaron is not a grind out time on the clock type of a back...Jamaal isn't either...AJ...yeah AJ most definitely is.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon is a bad man honestly. In the good sense of the word LOL. He is the perfect pairing with Aaron, stack the box and he will still grind 2-3 yards...miss a tackle and he'll get 7 more....

Aaron is not a grind out time on the clock type of a back...Jamaal isn't either...AJ...yeah AJ most definitely is.

At first I didn't like the player or the pick. Now I I just don't like the pick, think it was too early. Either way that irrelevant now and the player has me pretty stoked. Especially hearing that he's a good receiver, that's surprising as I thought I'd read he was not but that may have just been someone looking at stats not the actual images. If he can improve as a pass blocker I think having him and Aaron Jones on the field at the same time on a 3rd down is gonna be tough for a defense to defend.

Also at first I thought maybe they're not gonna resign Jones but I don't think that's the case now. I think maybe they're not gonna resign Williams and Dillion is his replacement/upgrade

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
more....

whenever I see AJ i immediately think Aaron Jones, i'm sitting here thinking, well is he or isn't he that guy? LOL

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At first I didn't like the player or the pick. Now I I just don't like the pick, think it was too early. Either way that irrelevant now and the player has me pretty stoked. Especially hearing that he's a good receiver, that's surprising as I thought I'd read he was not but that may have just been someone looking at stats not the actual images. If he can improve as a pass blocker I think having him and Aaron Jones on the field at the same time on a 3rd down is gonna be tough for a defense to defend.

Also at first I thought maybe they're not gonna resign Jones but I don't think that's the case now. I think maybe they're not gonna resign Williams and Dillion is his replacement/upgrade

I don't believe you are alone in the "round" idea...however I don't think he'd been there at 94 possibly. Honestly I love Dillon and Deguara, but neither were my thought processes in the round they went to us...I was one exact round later. :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Ok. His vertical tied Saquon at 41” and so he’s heavier than Eddie Lacy or Derrick Henry but a smidge faster and stronger than either coming out of college. Who cares! He’s obviously all blubber!

If he doesn’t work out at RB can we PLEASE move him to ILB?:eek:
Interesting. People point at the draft Ray Nitschke was in as being a great draft. I am pretty sure that Nitschke was drafted as a fullback and Lombardi had him try out as a ML.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we can re-create what the Niners have done with run first (even though they are starting to add highly drafted WR's) offense. The problem though is that our defense is literally not even close to being as strong. Their defensive front is heads and shoulders better than ours... their LB's are better and most likely their defensive backfield is better.

You can't recreate someone else's success if that other team was drafting in the top 10 for multiple years. Moving to a run first offense is tough to use successfully if your defense struggles. We might be able to make it work, but it won't be as easy since our defense still has many holes.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Maybe we can re-create what the Niners have done with run first (even though they are starting to add highly drafted WR's) offense. The problem though is that our defense is literally not even close to being as strong. Their defensive front is heads and shoulders better than ours... their LB's are better and most likely their defensive backfield is better.

You can't recreate someone else's success if that other team was drafting in the top 10 for multiple years. Moving to a run first offense is tough to use successfully if your defense struggles. We might be able to make it work, but it won't be as easy since our defense still has many holes.

They're not trying to recreate the 49ers offense because it was successful. They're building the offense that the head coach was hired to install.

As to the reality that the 49ers have been investing in WR-- that's exactly right. That offense does not devalue the WR position, it just uses fewer of them. Last year the Niners were in tough shape at the position with Deebo as a rookie and Kendrick Bourne being the WR2. So they added Sanders, and Bourne became the WR3. Since that time, they lost Sanders, and now add Aiyuk to replace them.

That said, I am not really convinced that Samuel, a rookie Aiyuk, and Kendrick Bourne is significantly better than Adams, Lazard, and Funchess. I guess we will find out.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're not trying to recreate the 49ers offense because it was successful. They're building the offense that the head coach was hired to install.

As to the reality that the 49ers have been investing in WR-- that's exactly right. That offense does not devalue the WR position, it just uses fewer of them. Last year the Niners were in tough shape at the position with Deebo as a rookie and Kendrick Bourne being the WR2. So they added Sanders, and Bourne became the WR3. Since that time, they lost Sanders, and now add Aiyuk to replace them.

That said, I am not really convinced that Samuel, a rookie Aiyuk, and Kendrick Bourne is significantly better than Adams, Lazard, and Funchess. I guess we will find out.

I dont think their wrs are better. However when you add George Kittle to the mix compared to our TEs then their pass catchers look better than ours for sure.

Back to Dillon I am really excited for him. I think he and Jones pair way better than Williams and Jones. Our running game could take another step forward.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If Lazard continues to make big strides, and Funchess regains his form from Carolina, and one more guy is able to step up and prove to be reliable, then we could be cooking. Just a lot of if's.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Lazard continues to make big strides, and Funchess regains his form from Carolina, and one more guy is able to step up and prove to be reliable, then we could be cooking. Just a lot of if's.

That was not so much a huge vote of confidence in the Packers receiving corps, but rather just a realistic look at what SF is working with.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I dont think their wrs are better. However when you add George Kittle to the mix compared to our TEs then their pass catchers look better than ours for sure.

Back to Dillon I am really excited for him. I think he and Jones pair way better than Williams and Jones. Our running game could take another step forward.

There's not even a shadow of a doubt. Kittle is a rock star.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was not so much a huge vote of confidence in the Packers receiving corps, but rather just a realistic look at what SF is working with.

Yup WR edge us I'd argue, TE them for sure, RB edge to us, OL as far as run blocking edge them, pass blocking I say edge us.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is as big as the linebackers trying to tackle him.... They insist on this one cut zone scheme. And now they have a big fullback sizes running back that runs a 4.5 40!? Lol. One cut and pound it is the plan. The 4.5 speed should be enough to make them pay if he breaks through. I'm hoping he is one of those "faster than his 40" types of guys. Considering he got his 248 pounds across the line in 4.51 seconds. He may surprise with another gear??? Like Jordy surprised...
Even if he doesn't... I guarantee we didn't draft him for his speed. If I remember he had a 41 " vert and 130+" broad ... I was like huh!?
He is a tank. He will get the hard yard .He will finish the runs. And he will be able to take the pounding of 20+ carries a game if we need... That imo is why we drafted him... One cut and point it . 250 pound torpedo.....

Strategically. It's going to open up our entire offense. You think those quick CBS are going to be effective against our new monster rb? Doubt it. You think the safety/lb tweeners are going to be effective? Eh..... I like our chances.....

I salivate at the idea of running 12 personnel with this beast behind Rodgers. How do you defend this? 12 personnel is extremely hard to game plan against with a an average sized RB. Yes, it’s a run first scheme but it’s designed to allow 4 receivers to get vertical quickly. This puts defenses in a quandary right away because of its Equal run/pass conflict. We saw this first hand. Go small and get run over. Go big and Rodgers will eat you alive with play action.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for having a great running game; problem is, to rely on the running game as the main part of the offense, you need to have a truly elite defense. That's REALLY difficult.

And, to be clear, Dillon will only be as good as his receiving skills turn out to be. If he's a poor-man's version of Derrick Henry, who can't catch, he'll be a below-average running back.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The second coming of Jim Brown
Actually he might bring a different dimension...Lacy when he arrived certainly was a welcomed although he certainly benefitted from a younger more mobile #12 and a far superior bevy of dangerous WR

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for having a great running game; problem is, to rely on the running game as the main part of the offense, you need to have a truly elite defense. That's REALLY difficult.

And, to be clear, Dillon will only be as good as his receiving skills turn out to be. If he's a poor-man's version of Derrick Henry, who can't catch, he'll be a below-average running back.

I think Catching the ball is part of his skill set but this isn’t why he was drafted. He is a power back who’s job is to ware down the D and pass protect.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

AND an offensive line that is designed, constructed, and fitted with the appropriate personal who can run block effectively....that is another consideration and challenge with a group that currently is not in this mould....

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts