De'Vondre Campbell signing

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could he be better than Martin or Summers with those numbers?

Who Barnes or Campbell?

honestly I love the complimentary style he is for Barnes and Martin to learn from - especially in run stopping play reads. I believe Barnes and Martin both are better in pass coverage but Campbell isn’t worthless there if needed. Love the pick up even if he ends with the 3rd amount of snaps at ILB for us

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main reasons are he is not known to be a close friend of Aaron Rodgers.
Aaron Rodgers is not known to have desired this.
Aaron Rodgers most likely was not called to seek permission or his 'blessing' on it.
Did you really ignore the cheesy, sarcastic smile at the end of my sentence?

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or heard what his contract looks like? If so could you post a link here please. Thnx

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or heard what his contract looks like? If so could you post a link here please. Thnx

Haven't seen it anywhere....I heard speculation that them not releasing or finalizing it draws concern over the Rodgers issue because if traded we could pay Campbell easy peasy....without that though we are gonna deal with that can kicking into void years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wow. That’s a fantastic deal for him!
I wonder how much guaranteed??
According to experts, I heard we could just sign him to Like 640 term it all averages out against the yearly cap si I guess the guaranteed isn’t important.
Go DeVondre! :coffee:
@TomSilverstein

The #Packers gave free agent ILB De'Vondre Campbell a one-year, $2M contract that includes a $1.01M signing bonus. Four voidable years were added so that his cap number will be around $1.19 million in '21. There are an additional $500,000 in playtime incentives.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@TomSilverstein

The #Packers gave free agent ILB De'Vondre Campbell a one-year, $2M contract that includes a $1.01M signing bonus. Four voidable years were added so that his cap number will be around $1.19 million in '21. There are an additional $500,000 in playtime incentives.

He'll earn that $500,000. I think he'll take over the starting spot. He'll add playmaking to the middle of the defense, which is much needed.

Reaction score
@TomSilverstein

Wow. That’s a steal from the bargain bin. $2mil is really well done by us. Also considering it has no compensatory impacts.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little love for a former Golden Gopher making it in the NFL.

IMO Campbell is a slightly better Blake Martinez, but just in the way he sticks his nose in to stop the run means that he tends to make tackles closer to the line of scrimmage. I like the signing. It gives us some better depth at a weak position.

How can this not make Rodgers happy?!? :D
Took the words right out of my mouth. He is a bigger and faster Blake Martinez. He SHOULD make more plays in the backfield, and be better in coverage. Hopefully Barry can improve his coverage skills, because a guy who runs sub 4.6 should be adequate in that arena.

Honestly, I see him as probably the guy with the helmet come Week 1 as his experience truly trumps the abilities of Barnes and Martin right now, especially since he's played in both the NFC West and NFC South, he should be seeing/making reads much better than they can. I just wonder who will be out there with him between Barnes and Martin.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speed isn’t the main factor in coverage ability, its reading the play. Last year Campbell was terrible in coverage so hopefully the Packers will make it easier for him or just focus on maximizing his primary ship which is tackling (which the Packers run D sorely needs).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have high hopes for Barnes. He's the thumper imho. Don't really want another Martinez. But who knows what is going to happen with a rah rah coordinator. That kind of scares me. Hope he has a good head on his shoulders. But I do have faith in LaFleur. So I hope it was completely his choice.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On Friday I listened to the Tom Silverstein podcast on my drive down to Milwaukee. He said that he spoke with a scout who was very familiar with Campbell. That scout said that he did very well in coverage. His length is a big asset. I don't really know who to believe but it's at least encouraging info.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speed isn’t the main factor in coverage ability, its reading the play. Last year Campbell was terrible in coverage so hopefully the Packers will make it easier for him or just focus on maximizing his primary ship which is tackling (which the Packers run D sorely needs).
I disagree. Speed/Quickness/Twitch is just as important as reading the play. You can know the route and everything but if the guy blows right past you does it matter? Sure you can play 15yds off but a good QB will just throw underneath routes and force you to tackle well.

Or did you forget Kevin King played for the Packers? How about Josh Jackson or Chandon Sullivan?

The opposite of that would be a Josh Jones or Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, guys who were athletes, but didn't diagnose plays very well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. Speed/Quickness/Twitch is just as important as reading the play. You can know the route and everything but if the guy blows right past you does it matter? Sure you can play 15yds off but a good QB will just throw underneath routes and force you to tackle well.

Or did you forget Kevin King played for the Packers? How about Josh Jackson or Chandon Sullivan?

The opposite of that would be a Josh Jones or Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, guys who were athletes, but didn't diagnose plays very well.

And all that speed means nothing if it takes an extra half second for the player to diagnose the play. Take that 40 time and add 0.5 and you get a really slow linebacker. I’ll take the guy running 4.7 who can play at that speed vs the guy running 4.4 who plays at 4.9.

Obviously faster is better if both can react at the same speed but reading and reacting is better than just getting to wrong spot super fast.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On Friday I listened to the Tom Silverstein podcast on my drive down to Milwaukee. He said that he spoke with a scout who was very familiar with Campbell. That scout said that he did very well in coverage. His length is a big asset. I don't really know who to believe but it's at least encouraging info.

For what it’s worth he’s allowed a passer rating of between 100 and 105 the last three seasons in coverage. He’s a great signing and I’m excited to see what the Packers do with him but I’m trying to be realistic about a guy no other team signed this late in free agency.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I like the signing. An experienced ILB that is just hitting his prime. Mix him in with the younger guys and that's a pretty solid rotation. Not mind blowing, but solid.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it’s worth he’s allowed a passer rating of between 100 and 105 the last three seasons in coverage. He’s a great signing and I’m excited to see what the Packers do with him but I’m trying to be realistic about a guy no other team signed this late in free agency.
That's a helpful stat.

As for the free agency part though, he's certainly not a first wave FA. However, some of these second/third wave guys then sit out until training camp to get onto a team with an injury need. It's part of the game and not necessarily a sign that they have nothing left. As you said, we should be excited to see how the Packers can put him in a position to excel.

Members online

Latest posts