Day After MM Press Conference

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2007/09/24/mccarthy-s-day-after-press-conference.aspx

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

McCarthy's day-after press conference

Here's what Mike McCarthy is saying one day after his team improved to 3-0 with a win over the Chargers:

Injury update: FS Nick Collins (lower back contusion), WR Donald Driver (knee swelling), RB Brandon Jackson (shin contusion), RB DeShawn Wynn (ankle), CB Al Harris (back spasms), CB Charles Woodson (hip), DE Cullen Jenkins (side);

Driver's injury doesn't appear to be serious. He just got banged on the knee;

Jennings is "not out of the woods" with his hamstring. He may sit a day or two this week;

McCarthy said he doesn't understand the criticism of his 4th-and-1 play call. His reasoning was if the empty backfield worked for them all day, why wouldn't it work there? "I'm comfortable with the call," he said; [YET]"I haven't seen Brett (Favre) yet, and I don't know if he's watched the film, but he'll be disappointed when he sees the play." McCarthy wouldn't say directly that Favre threw to the wrong receiver but reiterated the outside receivers were isolated 1-on-1. Favre tried to thread the ball to tight end Bubba Franks in the middle and it fell incomplete.

McCarthy said Lee was down at the 1;

McCarthy is comfortable with the team's lopsided run-to-pass ratio. He said most of it was dictated by the fact that the Packers have played some of the league's top defensive front. That won't change this week against the Vikings. He added the problem with the running game is with the playcaller, that he's not letting them get in a flow. "I'm getting more comfortable with the runners."

McCarthy said he told Favre to call the timeout after the Lee reception. But that DeShawn Wynn called one because of his ankle injury. "That won't happen again. That was a first for me."

The secondary played fine. McCarthy gave most of the credit to Philip Rivers; [YET] Communication breakdowns between the secondary and the front seven contributed to Philip Rivers' strong start Sunday.

Wynn's ankle shouldn't be a big problem.

Members online

Latest posts