Davante Adams contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers restructures his contract to go from a 46 million cap hit in 2022 to one in the mid twenties, the "savings" could be used to sign Adams. Unfortunately, the team would still be about 45 million over the cap and it couldn't get under by cutting Crosby, Cobb and Z which would net about 25 million in cap room. To get the other 20 million in cap room, you'd have to devastate the roster and still not have enough to sign Douglas and or Campbell. Even if they sign Alexander to a smaller 2022 cap hit and restructure Turner and Amos, thet can't get enough to make it work.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup you have to free up $65M to even TAG Adams (from what I’ve read)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup you have to free up $65M to even TAG Adams (from what I’ve read)
Franchise tag window is between 2/23-3/08/22. The cap resets on the 1st day of the league year which is March 16 at 4PM. GB can Franchise Tag Adams (or threaten to), work out a trade with another team before 3/16. IF they don't have a trade deal worked out by 3/16 3:59PM they can rescind the tag and Adams becomes a free agent... with no Adams-related cap issues. IF GB keeps the tag on him they would need to have the $20Mil (and other cuts made to be under the $208Mil cap) cleared by 4pm.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franchise tag window is between 2/23-3/08/22. The cap resets on the 1st day of the league year which is March 16 at 4PM. GB can Franchise Tag Adams (or threaten to), work out a trade with another team before 3/16. IF they don't have a trade deal worked out by 3/16 3:59PM they can rescind the tag and Adams becomes a free agent... with no Adams-related cap issues. IF GB keeps the tag on him they would need to have the $20Mil (and other cuts made to be under the $208Mil cap) cleared by 4pm.
Forgot all about rescinding the tag. So they could call his bluff by bluffing themselves.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The salary cap is a tricky thing. I've played around with both the Over the Cap and Spotrac sites. By no means does this make me an expert nor anyone else here. It is just the resources that we have. I've posted it before, so I won't post the whole thing again. There are ways to re-sign Adams and Rodgers. It all starts with Rodgers renegotiating his deal and realistically he has to take the minimum amount to spread the money around and create cap space. Then there are several players that need to be cut or renegotiated in order for the core to stay together. The below is what it would look like. There would be a lot of holes to fill and some big ones at that. Most would have to be filled through the draft, undrafted free agents and getting lucky with veterans on prove it deals (like Douglas).

Offense:

QB: Rodgers, Love, Benkert
RB: Jones, Dillon, Taylor, Hill
WR: Adams, Amari Rodgers, Winfree
TE: Deguara, Davis, Dafney
LT: Bahktiari
LG: Runyan(Jenkins)
C: Myers
RG: Newman
RT: Turner
Backup Oline: Braden, Hansen, Van Lanen

Defense:
Dline: Clark, Slaton
OLB: Gary, Garvin, Galeai
MLB: Barnes, Mcduffie
CB: Alexander, Stokes, SJC
S: Savage, Amos, Black, Davis, Scott

Special Teams
K: Kicker to be named later
P: Bojorquez

Draft Picks in Rd 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 7, 7, 7

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The salary cap is a tricky thing. I've played around with both the Over the Cap and Spotrac sites. By no means does this make me an expert nor anyone else here. It is just the resources that we have. I've posted it before, so I won't post the whole thing again. There are ways to re-sign Adams and Rodgers. It all starts with Rodgers renegotiating his deal and realistically he has to take the minimum amount to spread the money around and create cap space. Then there are several players that need to be cut or renegotiated in order for the core to stay together. The below is what it would look like. There would be a lot of holes to fill and some big ones at that. Most would have to be filled through the draft, undrafted free agents and getting lucky with veterans on prove it deals (like Douglas).

Offense:

Defense:

Special Teams

Just for the record some of those guy swill take being resigned as some do not have contracts presently for the 2022 season; Barnes, Bojo, Dafney, Black...and maybe your Davis at Safety - who did you mean there - Shawn? If so he also isn't presently signed.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With Rodgers not wanting to be a part of a rebuild, has he defined what a "rebuild" is for him? Is it just no Davante or MVS? Or does it include losing the Smith Brothers, Amos, Douglas, Campbell, Turner and perhaps a few others?

I'm still going to fall back on the fact that the Packers while possibly on the top 2 steps of making it into the SB in 2021, they still fell short. So unless you get a number of the younger guys to step up their games, how do you improve from the 2021 Packers? Not to mention that you are going to be having to push a large amount of cap further into the future, when do you stop doing that?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It isn't worth it. He isn't worth it - despite being the best dang WR in the league.
Until he is traded to a team with a marginal QB. I'm not saying Davante isn't the best WR in the game, but if I was a team that might have to give up some draft capital AND pay him $30M/year, I sure would wonder how he is going to play with.....Baker Mayfield throwing to him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wasn't aware Detroit wanted him? LoL
If he went the FA route, that could happen. Imagine Davante's dilemma if it came down to 2 teams. One with a great QB, but only a $21M/year offer and one with a suspect QB for $27M/year.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite you being a member of my fan club, I have to disagree with this. The cap most certainly effects how many top players you can afford to keep on your roster. We are seeing it this offseason for not just the Packers, but the Saints and a few other teams.

Despite the cap biting the Packers in the *** this coming year, I love it and wouldn't want to see the NFL ever modify it like the NBA and definitely not like MLB. A small market team like GB would never be able to compete under those conditions.

I agree the cap is a good thing and yes, I wouldn't trade it.

Where I disagree with your disagree is the idea of "top" players. I'd say we only have a handful of top players (not on their rookie deal/pending rookie deal expiry) and other than Adams pricing himself out of Green Bay we're not at risk of losing any of them due to money.

On Offense: I'd say the list is Rodgers, Adams, Bhak, and Jones. On Defense: Clark, Alexander. Maybe Amos.

Pending Top players: Gary, Jenkins, Stokes. Maybe Dillon.

Everyone else is somewhere on the "JAG/Solid Starter/Pretty Darn Good/Guys you'll stretch to keep" spectrum. Yes, we will lose some good players, but most of the players we "need" to cut are players that are over-priced relative to their value. Z, Lowry, Crosby...none are bad players, but they are no longer worth their cap hits, so out the door they go. With Z, it might be more appropriate to say that the emergence of other player(s) (Gary) have rendered them some degree of expendable.

Billy Turner is probably the only player that, were I GM, I'd truly want to keep due to cost/value, but feel force to move on primarily due to cap savings. But even he has someone else on the roster (Nijman) who could probably replace him, though it isn't as dramatic as the Z/Gary dynamic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Where I disagree with your disagree is the idea of "top" players. I'd say we only have a handful of top players (not on their rookie deal/pending rookie deal expiry) and other than Adams pricing himself out of Green Bay we're not at risk of losing any of them due to money.
How are we not in danger of losing Alexander, Campbell and Douglas due to money? Sure, we can give them all big contracts and back load them so each one is only a $1M cap hit in 2022, but how do you make that work further down the road?

It doesn't even have to be "top paid" guys that you can only afford. When you got Rodgers, Bahk, Aaron Jones, Clark, Amos, Smith Bros. all making top 1-15 money for their position, it prevents you from paying too many mid tier guys mid tier money.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins is more a "top" guy than Jones and I'd argue even more than Bakh at this point in time of their respective careers vs value to team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jenkins is more a "top" guy than Jones and I'd argue even more than Bakh at this point in time of their respective careers vs value to team.
I didn't include him, because he is still on a rookie deal through next year, but yes, both he and Gary are going to want to be paid top 15 money.

I just disagree with the original OP when he said "I don't think the cap (usually, anyway) is that impactful to keeping the roster together."

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Just for the record some of those guy swill take being resigned as some do not have contracts presently for the 2022 season; Barnes, Bojo, Dafney, Black...and maybe your Davis at Safety - who did you mean there - Shawn? If so he also isn't presently signed.
Yes, Shawn Davis. I realize that some are not signed. It is a guess of who they might bring back and who they can afford. Totally speculation much like a lot of the chatter here. I just think there are ways to bring Adams and Rodgers back. It would just gut a lot of positions to do so. I too am siding with it not being worth it.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are we not in danger of losing Alexander, Campbell and Douglas due to money?

While I love Campbell and Douglas, I don't consider either top players.

Sure, we can give them all big contracts and back load them so each one is only a $1M cap hit in 2022, but how do you make that work further down the road?

Exactly? I have no idea. Some of it will be players moving on. Bhak, for example, would be a net savings of ~21.5M if he's cut after 2023/before 2024. Jones is a 16M gain after 2022, 12M gain after 2023. I'd expect something done with that deal after this year.

While caution is necessary, this is a constant struggle to get cute *enough* with structure while not completely mortgaging one year. And that is the issue. If for example, we extend Rodgers and then something happens that our cap is screwed (hypothetical worst case: he goes on a DUI rampage and kills some people requiring an immediate cut) his cap hit comes due.

It'll be a painful year, but then the accelerated cap hit comes off the books.

It doesn't even have to be "top paid" guys that you can only afford. When you got Rodgers, Bahk, Aaron Jones, Clark, Amos, Smith Bros. all making top 1-15 money for their position, it prevents you from paying too many mid tier guys mid tier money.

First, I presume the Smith Brothers are cut. Or at least Z cut and Preston extended. (Cutting both would be a net gain of about 29.5M for 2022)

Second, while an impossible dream, I don't mind not paying mid-tier guys mid-tier money. Have your handful of stars make bank, and fill in the gaps with guys on rookie contracts.

The team has to get over the 2022 hump. The lack of revenue from 2020 is still the biggest issue right now.

My SporTrac plan was to cut Smith, Smith, Turner, Lowry, Crosby, Cobb, Lewis. Re-Sign/Extend Campbell, though admittedly, I don't know what a fair contract for him would be. That puts us in a hole of "only" 5 million.

For Alexander: giving him a big contract isn't "borrowing" from the future. He's young. Nothing funky there. Jalen Ramsey's 5 year, 100M contract had a year 1 and 2 cap hits of 6.2 and 9.3M respectively. Assuming Alexander's structure is similarly 6.5M in year one (I'll admit to not being sure enough exactly how that might need to be structured) and we're 1.2M in the black.

Now we can play games with Rodgers' contract, though again, no idea what he wants. The basic approach is to remove his 21M in salary for 2022 and prorate it out over 5 years (which is, afaik, the maximum). So a 5 year deal with minimum salary and a 100M signing bonus would more or less break even. A 5 year 80M w/ the 5th year being a void year would pick up ~10M in cap space for 2022, for a total of 11.1M. Do you think Rodgers has 4 years left in him? I do.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Offense:

Defense:

Special Teams

If the Packers couldn't win with the current roster, not much of a chance they can do much with the gutted roster above. Especially on defense, the roster above would neither be able to stop the run nor rush the passer with only one OLB in Gary with any ability to get in the qb's face.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we can play games with Rodgers' contract, though again, no idea what he wants. The basic approach is to remove his 21M in salary for 2022 and prorate it out over 5 years (which is, afaik, the maximum). So a 5 year deal with minimum salary and a 100M signing bonus would more or less break even. A 5 year 80M w/ the 5th year being a void year would pick up ~10M in cap space for 2022, for a total of 11.1M. Do you think Rodgers has 4 years left in him? I do.
Rodgers, at $33.5mil/yr average, is "only" the 7th highest paid QB...& he's a multi-year MVP. He will more than likely get $40+mil/year on his next deal, which I'm really hoping isn't in GB. Your hypothetical 4 year deal with bonus spread out over 5 years will be worth over $160mil and we're still in hock over his last contract.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers, at $33.5mil/yr average, is "only" the 7th highest paid QB...& he's a multi-year MVP. He will more than likely get $40+mil/year on his next deal, which I'm really hoping isn't in GB. Your hypothetical 4 year deal with bonus spread out over 5 years will be worth over $160mil and we're still in hock over his last contract.

Am I too low? Perhaps. It also doesn't have to be all signing bonus--SportTrac doesn't let one get too cute with the contract.

For example, 2023 the cap goes up significantly. 100% guarantee that year's salary. Tons of tricks one could use.

Does this contract make it harder to sign free agents? Sure. I also don't mind. If you have a good enough core and draft well, you should only need a fill in player or two. We ended up with Smith, Smith, Amos, and Turner because we didn't have a core.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excuse my French, but DA can **** right off. I dont feel even in the slightest compelled to cling on to him if he demands such an obscene amount of money; if that means we trade away Arod, so be it.

Id love to see DA sign with a team not being led by a top 5 QB and have him fall off of his high horse. I dont even really believe he sees himself as the best WR in the league, he just knows this is the year that he has to cash in as he will never put up these numbers again. Plus, he uses the whole drama of his butt buddy Arod (everyone likes to cozy up with the great Arod) to justify his hard line stance. **** off
How nearsighted and ignorant of a statement. Very few players have the opportunity for generational wealth for their families. Of course they’re going to cash in when the opportunity presents itself. Adams has played like the best receiver in the league 2 straight years. He’s earned his right to be paid as such.

Take a second and strip yourself of your fandom before you belittle a player and their livelihood. Are you taking a pay cut at your job so that others less deserving can be paid more?

It is not Davante Adams fault Gutenkunst and Ball were irresponsible with the cap.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How nearsighted and ignorant of a statement. Very few players have the opportunity for generational wealth for their families. Of course they’re going to cash in when the opportunity presents itself. Adams has played like the best receiver in the league 2 straight years. He’s earned his right to be paid as such.

Take a second and strip yourself of your fandom before you belittle a player and their livelihood. Are you taking a pay cut at your job so that others less deserving can be paid more?

It is not Davante Adams fault Gutenkunst and Ball were irresponsible with the cap.

I don’t care if we were the dolphins sitting on 67 million in cap, I am not paying a WR the money he is going to want and most likely receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.