Davante Adams contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

The elephant in the room that no one will talk about because he's a good dude and it's not his fault is how much the Bahktiari extension has hurt us. We're going on two years of lighting that money on fire for no return on our investment when all along the Packers have found a way to make the line work without him. We're a better team with a healthy Bahk, clearly....but that deal has hurt and definitely affects these offseasons.

To be fair, the Packers signed Bakhtiari to an extension in mid-November of last year with him being injured on December 31st. Therefore the team hasn't received any production from him for one year.

"By rule, Adams would be entitled to a 20-percent raise over his 2021 cap number, if it’s more than the base franchise tag. At $16.787 million for 2021, that’s a tag in the amount of $20.144 million." It appears it would be much more than that. A lot of contracts would have to be reworked to make that happen. Agreed on the long-term extension.

I believe the rule states that a player would receive a 20% increase from his previous year's salary if that's greater than the base franchise tag. With Adams earning a $12 million salary that wouldn't result in an increased price tag.

Here's the way I see it to keep Adams. We would have to gut the team. Just to get under the cap we would have to cut Z. Smith, P. Smith, B. Turner, D. Lowry, M. Crosby, and R. Cobb. That would get us under the cap by about $4.5 million. That would also give the Packers roughly $35 million in dead money. It's a lot of dead money, but teams have done it to get rid of overpaid QB's before. That's only one player though. This would be six guys that would all need to be replaced. Again, That just gets us under the cap and doesn't get us the money to re-sign Adams or any other players for that matter. There's a slew of lesser players that can be cut and most likely will have to be cut to keep just the average players. The only way I see it working is if there are a bunch of guys willing to rework their contracts and Russ Ball will have to be creative. This would probably mean kicking the can down the road and having to deal with this all again. The numbers themselves just don't add up to being able to keep Adams.

The Packers extending Rodgers and Alexander could create as much as $30 million of cap space for next season. They could get under the cap without actually releasing anyone.

This is the price you pay for doing dumb ****. Overpaying bad players, pushing cap into the future years you didn’t have to, making poor choices in the draft.

The Packers have the best record in the NFL over the past three seasons, it's ridiculous to suggest Gutekunst hasn't done a great job overall.

Russ Ball is in charge of the salary cap. The general manager goes to the salary cap guy and asks if he can have a player. Ball figures it out. To simply put blame on Gute for the salary cap issues really isn't fair.

Ultimately it's Gutekunst's call to make those decisions though. He's definitely at least partly responsible for the Packers being in cap trouble for next year.

The 2022 Franchise Tag for a WR is projected (by OTC) to be $19.127Mil, which is less than the yearly avg. that Adams on a long term deal will make. That amount immediately counts against the cap if/when it is applied. IF Gute doesn't intend to sign Adams long term I think the thought of tagging him shows other teams that they'd need to pony-up a pick or 2 IF they want Adams and that Gute doesn't want him to leave for free. That may be inevitable, but it also may extract a pick from somebody. That would restrict Adams, however, from potentially getting maximum amount from his next contract IF he's not allowed to hit free agency. A lot of things to consider, and it all depends on how much Gute/Ball want to push into future years when deciding who stays and how to fit them under the cap.

Actually the Packers tagging Adams could result in teams other clubs offering less than market value for Adams as they're well aware the Packers would have a hard time getting below the cap by March 20.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another issue is, how many WRs do we have under contract for next season? I don't think it's many. And if Davante goes, who is our #1? Lazard? He's more like a #3. I do think that Gute should have invested in another WR in the draft at some point the last two years.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Another issue is, how many WRs do we have under contract for next season? I don't think it's many. And if Davante goes, who is our #1? Lazard? He's more like a #3. I do think that Gute should have invested in another WR in the draft at some point the last two years.
Just 3 according to Spotrac - Cobb, Amari Rodgers and Juwann Winfree. Lazard was a bargain at $850,000 and about 6 WRs will be needed on the 2022 roster.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just 3 according to Spotrac - Cobb, Amari Rodgers and Juwann Winfree. Lazard was a bargain at $850,000 and about 6 WRs will be needed on the 2022 roster.
That's a bit of an issue. I'm not sure we can keep Cobb given our cap situation, and the other two have a combined 8 career receptions.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah he could have at least tossed a third rounder at the position. Maybe someone that could also be a PR/KR. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he could have at least tossed a third rounder at the position. Maybe someone that could also be a PR/KR. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
At the time, I thought he would take one more WR after Rodgers given how few were under contract for 2022.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's a bit of an issue. I'm not sure we can keep Cobb given our cap situation, and the other two have a combined 8 career receptions.

The Packers can keep Cobb if he agrees to restructure his contract, ideally taking a pay cut along the way.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So the Packers have 3 "choices" with Adams as I see it.

1. Try to convince him to stay with a big contract.

2. Let him walk.

3. Franchise tag him and somehow figure out a way to clear $20M in cap space to do it.

OK....so 1 and 2 are pretty self explanatory. All 3 choices may play a part in what Aaron Rodgers does and what Aaron Rodgers does, may play a part in what Adams does.

So let's discuss option #3, but a modified option 3. That is tag and trade. This all revolves around first coming to the conclusion that Rodgers is done in GB. We all know that short of cutting a bunch of players, #3 alone is difficult, if not impossible, especially if the goal is to keep Rodgers and as many good players as possible. The Packers would have 8 days to bring the cap in line after tagging Adams and that would mean almost gutting the team. So with that in mind, if the Packers are going to trade Rodgers or find out he is retiring and thus hit "rebuild mode", I would propose to do the following. Trade him/get him to retire, before the deadline of having to tag Adams. That relieves quite a bit of cap and if its enough to tag Adams, you do it. If you need more, you make your next rebuild move and cut Z Dog and/or Preston.

So once you have Davante Tagged, let the trade talks begin with other teams. This way you at least get something in return for him and you aren't just waiting for a 3rd round comp pick in 2023. If nobody bites, you probably have a disgruntled Davante for one more season with Love. I just can't imagine you couldn't trade him and his new team would make him very happy with a big fat contract.

I would rather head into 2022 with a bunch of draft picks, obtained from trading both Rodgers and Adams, than see one retire and the other walk in Free Agency.

Thoughts?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2. Let him walk.

3. Franchise tag him and somehow figure out a way to clear $20M in cap space to do it.

OK....so 1 and 2 are pretty self explanatory. All 3 choices may play a part in what Aaron Rodgers does and what Aaron Rodgers does, may play a part in what Adams does.

So let's discuss option #3, but a modified option 3. That is tag and trade. This all revolves around first coming to the conclusion that Rodgers is done in GB. We all know that short of cutting a bunch of players, #3 alone is difficult, if not impossible, especially if the goal is to keep Rodgers and as many good players as possible. The Packers would have 8 days to bring the cap in line after tagging Adams and that would mean almost gutting the team. So with that in mind, if the Packers are going to trade Rodgers or find out he is retiring and thus hit "rebuild mode", I would propose to do the following. Trade him/get him to retire, before the deadline of having to tag Adams. That relieves quite a bit of cap and if its enough to tag Adams, you do it. If you need more, you make your next rebuild move and cut Z Dog and/or Preston.

So once you have Davante Tagged, let the trade talks begin with other teams. This way you at least get something in return for him and you aren't just waiting for a 3rd round comp pick in 2023. If nobody bites, you probably have a disgruntled Davante for one more season with Love. I just can't imagine you couldn't trade him and his new team would make him very happy with a big fat contract.

I would rather head into 2022 with a bunch of draft picks, obtained from trading both Rodgers and Adams, than see one retire and the other walk in Free Agency.

Thoughts?

The black eye of tagging a player and the relationship turning south is not an image Green Bay wants to paint themselves with IMO. We already by nature of where we are, find it tough to attract free agents - how does such a risk affect this?

I think the only way I risk a tag and trade is if it is a location that you've already come to terms with them on Rodgers and rather then that team have to compete with other suitors possibly throwing more money at Davante, they trade with us even if it is just a third this year, rather than a year later for him. Now what I don't know is payment wise where does his cap hit occur, on the team that tags him or the team that then trades for him?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now what I don't know is payment wise where does his cap hit occur, on the team that tags him or the team that then trades for him?
I believe it would appear on the team he plays for. It is a straight up amount that he would be paid for the 2022 season. While I believe it is guaranteed (if he shows up), it goes with him to his new team and if they create a new contract (either team), it goes away. I could be wrong on that, but I think that was the discussion around Le'Veon Bell when he was a Steeler.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The black eye of tagging a player and the relationship turning south is not an image Green Bay wants to paint themselves with IMO.
I don't know, I don't think that is a "Richard" move by the Packers. They are getting as much value out of a player as they can, a player that they invested a lot into. As long as Davante ends up with the contract he wants, the only thing it might effect is the team he does it with. Here again, I think that seems to be an easy discussion in the NFL today between players/agents and multiple teams.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers can't/won't re-sign Adams then why wouldn't they apply the non-exclusive franchise tag to him? Adams can negotiate with all teams on a new deal and sign with whichever team he wants... and then GB gets (2) 1st rounders for him. GB gets a haul of picks, Adams gets the deal he wants and everybody wins. I've got to imagine there's at least (1) team out there that would pony-up 2 1st rounders for Davante (Philly, Raiders, Cleveland, Jets, Giants, Carolina)?

If GB applies the exclusive tag to him that means they intend to keep him and then have until July to extend him long-term or he plays '22 for $20Mil.

Am I missing something or misunderstanding the tag rules?

ARPackFan

Reaction score
Keeping Adams is a luxury that I just doesn't make sense to me when you look at receivers on the 2022 roster. If Cobb is released for cap reasons then the only two going into 2022 are Amari Rodgers (8 Targets, 4 Receptions, 45 yards) and Juwann Winfree (13 targets, 8 receptions, 58 yards). Signing Allan Lazard makes more sense at somewhere in the $5M a year range rather than something north of $20M/year for Adams. This way the Packers still have some money to maybe pick up a few more veteran receivers instead of having just Adams & a bunch of low level talent.

The Packers tagging & trading is the ideal scenario IMO.. Even if he does leave the Packers will likely be compensated with a 3rd round pick in 2023.

ARPackFan

Reaction score
If the Packers can't/won't re-sign Adams then why wouldn't they apply the non-exclusive franchise tag to him? Adams can negotiate with all teams on a new deal and sign with whichever team he wants... and then GB gets (2) 1st rounders for him. GB gets a haul of picks, Adams gets the deal he wants and everybody wins. I've got to imagine there's at least (1) team out there that would pony-up 2 1st rounders for Davante (Philly, Raiders, Cleveland, Jets, Giants, Carolina)?

If GB applies the exclusive tag to him that means they intend to keep him and then have until July to extend him long-term or he plays '22 for $20Mil.

Edit: l should have done some more reading - It looks like if they use the non-exclusive fanchise tag you are right. The gamble is no other team makes him an offer and then the Packers are stuck with a $20M cap hit in 2022.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...ags are,previous season, whichever is greater.

Adams is an UFA not a an RFA and I think what you are describing is more in line with a RFA. My understanding is the only two tags the Packers can use are the Franchise (Avg. top 5 WR salary) and Transition (Avg. top 10 WRs). If they use the transition tag then Adams may negotiate and the Packers can either match or let him walk. If he leaves the Packers get nothing.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I think you are correct and the non-exclusive tag is usually cheaper, since its based on averaging salaries from last season.

The only problem with applying the non-exclusive, you are banking on a team wanting to give up 2 first rounders. That is an automatic, non-negotiable thing. If no teams bite, you are now stuck with Davante at the price set.

The franchise tag still allows the Packers to keep or trade him, but the cost isn't determined until the Free agent signing period is over and the new contracts of the highest paid WR's can be used to calculate it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Adams is an UFA not a an RFA and I think what you are describing is more in line with a RFA. My understanding is the only two tags the Packers can use are the Franchise (Avg. top 5 WR salary) and Transition (Avg. top 10 WRs). If they use the transition tag then Adams may negotiate and the Packers can either match or let him walk. If he leaves the Packers get nothing.
I could be wrong, but after reading the article I posted above, I think the non-exclusive tag can be used on Davante.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2. Let him walk.

Thoughts?
I believe Rodgers has said he will do what he can to make sure his situation is resolved before it comes time to tag Adams.

I think everyone realizes that nothing is as important as what happens to Rodgers and both sides are going to want to get that over with quickly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Rodgers has said he will do what he can to make sure his situation is resolved before it comes time to tag Adams.

I think everyone realizes that nothing is as important as what happens to Rodgers and both sides are going to want to get that over with quickly.

Of course, but 3 occurs in the scenario Rodgers is leaving us, at that moment the tag/trade becomes an item to put on the table or not.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Of course, but 3 occurs in the scenario Rodgers is leaving us, at that moment the tag/trade becomes an item to put on the table or not.
Exactly.

If somehow, they can keep Rodgers and Adams, then you don't need to tag Adams. However, if the plan is for Rodgers to be traded or retire, then you tag Adams.

BTW....Rodgers just named PFWA MVP

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.

If somehow, they can keep Rodgers and Adams, then you don't need to tag Adams. However, if the plan is for Rodgers to be traded or retire, then you tag Adams.

Yeah, he's most likely going to get that AP one as well.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it’s kind of a chicken or the egg situation at BEST. Adams wants to know if Rodgers is staying, Rodgers wants to know if Adams is staying. Them you have to come up with the space. Might Adams take a LITTLE less ? He might but I doubt if he takes substantially less. Now look at playing for the Raiders or a Florida team with no state income tax (and a lot better weather and more stuff for a young man with money to DO). Ditto Rodgers. Is Adams married? How does his wife or GF feel about Brown County Wis? Same question for Rodgers.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.

So some team will prove once again that you don’t need an MVP QB to win the Super Bowl… and 4 teams are proving you don’t need one to advance to the CCGs

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it’s kind of a chicken or the egg situation at BEST. Adams wants to know if Rodgers is staying, Rodgers wants to know if Adams is staying. Them you have to come up with the space. Might Adams take a LITTLE less ? He might but I doubt if he takes substantially less. Now look at playing for the Raiders or a Florida team with no state income tax (and a lot better weather and more stuff for a young man with money to DO). Ditto Rodgers. Is Adams married? How does his wife or GF feel about Brown County Wis? Same question for Rodgers.

Yes Adams has a family, he is an amazing father too with quite a story. He has had a couple condos in Green Bay for when here but his "home" is in California.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now look at playing for the Raiders or a Florida team with no state income tax (and a lot better weather and more stuff for a young man with money to DO)
How did that work out for Henry Ruggs? Yes, I do realize he was drafted.

This idea of where a player wants to play "Green Bay or a big urban City?", has bee debated quite a bit. While I can see that it might be part of the equation for some, I don't think for all. I really doubt it is for Rodgers. Adams is married to his college sweetheart, Devanne. Definitely a family man.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So some team will prove once again that you don’t need an MVP QB to win the Super Bowl… and 4 teams are proving you don’t need one to advance to the CCGs
I am sure a lot of correlations will be drawn by the Super Bowl winner. Some actually making sense and others not so much. I guess if Tom Brady is thrown out of your study on "Does a team need an MVP QB to win the SB", your stats will probably improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts