Cuts as they happen...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never thought EQ would make the 53. Never gave it a second thought if someone else would claim him. Which of course they did not. He has size and I guess speed but he has never shown me that he is much of a football player. What have you others seen? Or did you just like him coming out of college?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting Poker. So if they pick someone from the waiver wire do they have to cut someone from the 53? Or can they place that acquired player on the PS immediately? That's how I thought it worked. I've been wrong before.......
During that first 24 hrs, yes the player claimed off of waivers has to go on the team's 53 (not PS). After that time period is up, all the players are free agents and can sign with any team they want to be on either the 53 or PS.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as OL depth a lot of us had Runyan starting this year and Kelly was a nice veteran add. Not so high on the other 2 guys.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never thought EQ would make the 53. Never gave it a second thought if someone else would claim him. Which of course they did not. He has size and I guess speed but he has never shown me that he is much of a football player. What have you others seen? Or did you just like him coming out of college?

His availability was his only issue. He was bottom of depth chart and hardly ever healthy…but constantly was talked about by Aaron himself and showed flashes - I did follow him at ND but felt he was a Day2/Day 3 pick which he was with upside

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Packer fans "value" a guy like EQ more than other teams or their fans do. Guessing every team has their share of players that fans and the organization are just waiting to blossom and in most cases, they dont.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we got lucky as Buffalo had two good punters and we were able to trade for one of them.
We got the punter from the Rams not Bills. Her went there as a FA for camp competition. Something Gute didn't have an honest competition for, just a camp leg.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Didn't know him coming out of college. I only liked his size and speed. Seems that didn't transfer over to the NFL. I'm actually kinda surprised they kept him for the PS. Probably a bit of an awkward conversation to have there. "Hey, you've been on our 53 for the past 3 years, but we think you need to develop more on the PS". Ouch!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks the dude didn't see a single game played in 2019 due to injury - this after in 2018 seeing only 12 games played (13 active) for a line of 21 receptions on 36 targets for 328 yards (15.6 ypc) with zero drops.

2019 stolen from him completely.

2020 had lingering injury issues as well and only saw action 8 games, but a mere 132 snaps for 7 receptions on 13 targets for 117 yards (16.7 YPC) and 1 TD and 1 drop.

I find it laughable at best that anyone can definitively write him off as illustrated nothing, if anything he has illustrated injury issues and promise in limited action.

2019 really HURT his chances in a MAJOR way.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just remember a few very bad drops. And don't recall him getting open on his own. A couple times the design of the play got him open. But he did not always catch the ball. And for having so much speed; he did not get open deep. I think all the receivers now, minus Scantling, have good hands. If he gets consistent with catching the mid range passes; we have a bunch of pass receivers that catch the ball. Which is more important than having upside. imo

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I find it laughable at best that anyone can definitively write him off as illustrated nothing, if anything he has illustrated injury issues and promise in limited action.
Personally, I haven't written ESB off, but I also would say his chances of becoming a productive WR in the NFL are far less today than they were in 2018. Like I said in a previous post, I liked his potential coming out of ND, but we have seen this same story numerous times and it usually doesn't end well for that often injured player, who cant stay healthy enough to stick on a roster and prove himself worthy. Even when he has played, he hasn't blown anyone's doors off the hinges.

ESB's best bet might have been to try and hook up with another team, but I am guessing he got very little interest or his hope is that a few injuries gives him a shot with the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
we have a bunch of pass receivers that catch the ball. Which is more important than having upside. imo

Agreed and I think that was the problem with the 2019 and 2020 group of WR's...too many "this guy could be good" and very little to prove it. Fortunately, both Lazard and MVS stepped up last year and proved their value.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks the dude didn't see a single game played in 2019 due to injury - this after in 2018 seeing only 12 games played (13 active) for a line of 21 receptions on 36 targets for 328 yards (15.6 ypc) with zero drops.

2019 stolen from him completely.

2020 had lingering injury issues as well and only saw action 8 games, but a mere 132 snaps for 7 receptions on 13 targets for 117 yards (16.7 YPC) and 1 TD and 1 drop.

2019 really HURT his chances in a MAJOR way.
Guys get cut after showing more than he did. In this case however I think it was a case of odd man out as much as anything else as evidenced by the PS designation. I was pulling for him because I was a fan of his dad. Guess I'll have to start rooting for his brother Amon Ra

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just remember a few very bad drops. And don't recall him getting open on his own. A couple times the design of the play got him open. But he did not always catch the ball. And for having so much speed; he did not get open deep. I think all the receivers now, minus Scantling, have good hands. If he gets consistent with catching the mid range passes; we have a bunch of pass receivers that catch the ball. Which is more important than having upside. imo

He has had one drop in his games played in.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR I expected a cut as well given the addition of Cobb, his inability to play in preseason (again injury issues), Funchess before his IR, and growth of some others.

None of what I am saying is from the stance of he deserved a 53 spot this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was pulling for him because I was a fan of his dad. Guess I'll have to start rooting for his brother Amon Ra

Yup, Amon was a 4th rounder for Detroit this year and their younger brother, Osiris is at Stanford. I think that is what had me excited about ESB, his family is very athletic, as well as intelligent. I do remember their Dad not wanting ESB on special teams at Notre Dame and also wanting his son to stick to a training regiment that John, the former World class body builder had established for his kids.

Attachments

• st-brown-family-mr-universe.jpeg
    st-brown-family-mr-universe.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 120

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got the punter from the Rams not Bills. Her went there as a FA for camp competition. Something Gute didn't have an honest competition for, just a camp leg.
Thanks for the correction. The Rams have Hekker and he's arguably the best punter in the NFL. A little competition doesn't hurt, but Hekker prevailed and the Packers were in the right place at the right time. If CJ plays as he's played in the past, the Packers may finally have a good punter. That said, I hope they don't need to use him much.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR I expected a cut as well given the addition of Cobb, his inability to play in preseason (again injury issues), Funchess before his IR, and growth of some others.

None of what I am saying is from the stance of he deserved a 53 spot this year.
Funchess is on IR? Missed it. So he has a chance to come back in 3 weeks (if they need him), correct? Thanks. He looked good in pre-season to me, FWIW.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Funchess is on IR? Missed it. So he has a chance to come back in 3 weeks (if they need him), correct? Thanks. He looked good in pre-season to me, FWIW.
No....he is done for the year with the Packers and probably will never play for the Packers, since he was released after an injury settlement.

Players placed on IR BEFORE the 53 man roster is finalized, are lost for the season for that team. In this situation, since Funchess was ultimately cut, he could play for another team this season, but not the Packers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he was placed on IR and then later we reach settlement with him and released. I was merely stating until he went IR.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No....he is done for the year with the Packers and probably will never play for the Packers, since he was released after an injury settlement.

Players placed on IR BEFORE the 53 man roster is finalized, are lost for the season for that team. In this situation, since Funchess was ultimately cut, he could play for another team this season, but not the Packers.
Actually with the settlement isn't something like 6 weeks or something has to pass before the Packers and he could re-visit if desired a contract.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually with the settlement isn't something like 6 weeks or something has to pass before the Packers and he could re-visit if desired a contract.
Any other team may sign Funchess once he can pass their physical. The Packers can't re-sign him until 3 weeks after the settlement duration period (e.g. if they paid him for 4 weeks in the injury settlement they can't re-sign him until after 7 weeks).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I could be wrong and maybe with Covid rules things have changed, but a player placed on IR before the 53 is established (him being on 53), he can't play for that one team that season. However, after an injury settlement and subsequent release, he is a FA for any of the other 31 teams to sign this season. I think he could only be a Packer in 2022 and/or beyond.

The rule was put in to prevent teams from stashing guys on the IR before the season began.

The new "Covid rules" allow a team to put an unlimited number of players that made the initial 53 man roster on IR and instead of the traditional 8 weeks, they only have to sit out 3 consecutive games and then the team can reactivate them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Any other team may sign Funchess once he can pass their physical. The Packers can't re-sign him until 3 weeks after the settlement duration period (e.g. if they paid him for 4 weeks in the injury settlement they can't re-sign him until after 7 weeks).
That part does ring a bell, so maybe you guys are right. I thought I read that Funchess was done with the Packers this season, but could sign next. Maybe that was only after he was put on IR and before the injury settlement.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong and maybe with Covid rules things have changed, but a player placed on IR before the 53 is established (him being on 53), he can't play for that one team that season. However, after an injury settlement and subsequent release, he is a FA for any of the other 31 teams to sign this season. I think he could only be a Packer in 2022 and/or beyond.

The rule was put in to prevent teams from stashing guys on the IR before the season began.

The new "Covid rules" allow a team to put an unlimited number of players that made the initial 53 man roster on IR and instead of the traditional 8 weeks, they only have to sit out 3 consecutive games and then the team can reactivate them.
Any vested veteran place on IR is done for the season UNLESS they're waived-injured, in which case they become a free agent. Any of the other 31 teams may sign that player when he can pass the physical. The original team may re-sign that player after the initial paid injury settlement duration + 3 weeks. IF the WR room gets gutted with injuries it's possible for GB to re-sign Funchess... the +3 weeks gives all of the other teams a fair shot at signing him first to eliminate any "funny business" by stashing/waiving a guy to "sneak" him back onto the roster. Prior to 2016 it was the injury-settlement duration + 6 week waiting period, now it's 3 weeks.

Latest posts