Packers UDFA 2021 + Tryout

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

9 draft picks this weekend. 72 players currently signed to the roster, bringing the total to 81.
9 slots available for undrafted rookies.
  • Bailey Gaither, WR, San Jose State (SanJoseStateFB: source)
  • Coy Cronk, OL, Iowa (Journal & Courier: source)
  • Jacob Capra, OL, San Diego State (San Diego State FB: source)
  • Jon Dietzen, OL, Wisconsin (Badger FB: source)
  • Christian Uphoff, Safety, Illinois State (source)
  • Jack Heflin, DT, Iowa (Pelissero: source)
  • Carlo Kemp, DL, Michigan (Silverstein: source)
I think we stick with the 7 UDFA's you listed, leaving 2 open spots for future opportunities

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me thinks 1 of those 2 spots needs to be a QB. With or without the Rodgers drama I would feel this way. I really do like the Mullens idea also.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Me thinks 1 of those 2 spots needs to be a QB. With or without the Rodgers drama I would feel this way. I really do like the Mullens idea also.
I agree... wondering how many QB's want to dip their toes in the dumpster fire at the moment, until it is resolved one way or another. We only have Rodgers and Love at the moment, definitely need 2 more for training camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree... wondering how many QB's want to dip their toes in the dumpster fire at the moment, until it is resolved one way or another. We only have Rodgers and Love at the moment, definitely need 2 more for training camp.

Been thinking about this a lot. I would be jumping at the chance if I was a UDFA QB. It's a win-win, you get to learn from AR if he stays and a chance of being QB #3. If he leaves, you got a pretty decent shot at being a backup QB and an outside shot of being a starter. Packers need at least 2 if not 3 more QB's right now.

If Rodgers isn't on the roster, I see them signing a Vet QB.

Of course an UDFA QB might be afraid that his signing will send Rodgers over the edge with the Franchise. :coffee:

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Been thinking about this a lot. I would be jumping at the chance if I was a UDFA QB. It's a win-win, you get to learn from AR if he stays. If he leaves, you got a shot a pretty decent shot at being a starting QB or backup. Packers need at least 2 if not 3 more QB's right now.
If Rodgers isn't on the roster, I see them signing a Vet QB.

Of course an UDFA QB might be afraid that his signing will send Rodgers over the edge with the Franchise. :coffee:
I can definitely see a veteran QB brought in if he leaves. I could also see a QB coming back in a trade e.g. (Stafford/Goff) if the team decides to go that route... whether they have stated they won't or not, circumstances change.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can definitely see a veteran QB brought in if he leaves. I could also see a QB coming back in a trade e.g. (Stafford/Goff) if the team decides to go that route... whether they have stated they won't or not, circumstances change.

If they trade Rodgers I wouldn't want them taking a guy like Goff in lieu of a high draft pick. Sure, if they are a throw in maybe. I definitely don't want a Vet QB with a big contract. The whole point would be to move on from Rodgers and I believe that means Love gets his chance earlier than expected. While you don't want to rush Love into action, I don't see many other "temp QB's" that could carry this team very far in 2021.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
If they trade Rodgers I wouldn't want them taking a guy like Goff in lieu of a high draft pick. Sure, if they are a throw in maybe. I definitely don't want a Vet QB with a big contract. The whole point would be to move on from Rodgers and I believe that means Love gets his chance earlier than expected. While you don't want to rush Love into action, I don't see many other "temp QB's" that could carry this team very far in 2021.

I was thinking more like Drew Lock, if it was Denver... not a veteran like Teddy in that trade.

edit: I think bringing a guy who would have no future left in Denver, plus is on a rookie deal, and has NFL game experience would make sense for us and them.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was thinking more like Drew Lock, if it was Denver... not a veteran like Teddy in that trade.

edit: I think bringing a guy who would have no future left in Denver, plus is on a rookie deal, and has NFL game experience would make sense for us and them.

Maybe in a trade, but I still wouldn't let that part of the trade dilute the draft picks required to pull the trigger.

Depending on just how ready Love is, if Rodgers is out, the Packers might just say "lets just play him and see what happens."

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Maybe in a trade, but I still wouldn't let that part of the trade dilute the draft picks required to pull the trigger.

Depending on just how ready Love is, if Rodgers is out, the Packers might just say "lets just play him and see what happens."
If they brought in Lock, I would name Love the starter day 1. We made the draft pick, need to justify it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If they brought in Lock, I would name Love the starter day 1. We made the draft pick, need to justify it.

Would all depend on how ready Love is. But yeah, if he is ready and they aren't worried about throwing him to the wolves, by all means, until proven not to be, he is our next starting QB. Maybe you win a game or 2 more behind a veteran QB like Lock, but for what purpose? I would rather finish 3-14 if it means Love gets the experience he needs, then finish 5-12 and know very little about Love. Also, that might be the difference between the first pick in each round of the 2022 draft or the 3rd pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My brain and eyeballs are going to struggle with a 17 game schedule :confused:... 14-3 sounds a heck of a lot better;)

Well if Rodgers is out of the picture and the team does struggle on offense, at least we get to see what Joe Barry can do as a DC and we also might see a ton of Specials teams play (punt unit and Kick off receiving unit). :geek:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Well if Rodgers is out of the picture and the team does struggle on offense, at least we get to see what Joe Barry can do as a DC and we also might see a ton of Specials teams play (punt unit and Kick off receiving unit). :geek:
Maybe a ton of special teams play will help them improve ...more practice at it:sneaky:

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers' official statement on signed UDFAs. They listed Kemp as a linebacker. I'm guessing they see him as an EDGE

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Packers' official statement on signed UDFAs. They listed Kemp as a linebacker. I'm guessing they see him as an EDGE
Kemp is 6'3" 281...in contrast another Michigan guy we all know very well, Rashan Gary was 6'4" 277 going into the draft. When picked, he was announced as a Linebacker. Interesting to say the least.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kemp is a diverse man that played all over the front at Michigan...his diverse offering is for sure the reason GB was attracted to him.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Very true, being a Michigan college football fan, I always enjoy when they can make it to Green Bay and I can continue to root for them. Naming him a LB, helps bring competition to the pass rush group, especially since we didn't draft one. It was something I thought we missed out drafting this weekend.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Very true, being a Michigan college football fan, I always enjoy when they can make it to Green Bay and I can continue to root for them. Naming him a LB, helps bring competition to the pass rush group, especially since we didn't draft one. It was something I thought we missed out drafting this weekend.
Yeah? Well Van Lanen is going to kick his butt at practice!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coy Cronk folks may be the leading candidate of UDFAs actually to make the roster or at minimum be the type of guy to get a rare higher salary and yet be on PS.

Little History on him:

3 year starter at Left Tackle for IU which was 40 straight games before an ankle break four games into the 2019 season.

He then given an extra year due to injury, transferred to Iowa where he shifted to Right Tackle and won the starting job at a very good OL school. Covid19 issues however set him back and then when he was set to return for the bowl game in the starting rotation Missouri had to pull out due to covid issues.

At his pro day he illustrated an insane level vertical for a OL at 31 inches...but still overcoming Covid the rest of the performance based items he struggled to put forth good numbers. His measureables though were excellent - 34 1/4 inch arms, 6 foot 4 inches and 318 pounds is a solid measure of potential along the OL. For those following, his measurables point better than either of our non center drafted OL.

Health and bad luck/timing caused Cronk to fall out of the drafted ranks...and is the perfect example of what many UDFAs that end up successful experience.....but also do many that don't. Time will tell.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coy Cronk folks may be the leading candidate of UDFAs actually to make the roster or at minimum be the type of guy to get a rare higher salary and yet be on PS.

Little History on him:

3 year starter at Left Tackle for IU which was 40 straight games before an ankle break four games into the 2019 season.

He then given an extra year due to injury, transferred to Iowa where he shifted to Right Tackle and won the starting job at a very good OL school. Covid19 issues however set him back and then when he was set to return for the bowl game in the starting rotation Missouri had to pull out due to covid issues.

At his pro day he illustrated an insane level vertical for a OL at 31 inches...but still overcoming Covid the rest of the performance based items he struggled to put forth good numbers. His measureables though were excellent - 34 1/4 inch arms, 6 foot 4 inches and 318 pounds is a solid measure of potential along the OL. For those following, his measurables point better than either of our non center drafted OL.

Health and bad luck/timing caused Cronk to fall out of the drafted ranks...and is the perfect example of what many UDFAs that end up successful experience.....but also do many that don't. Time will tell.

I also read Bill Huber.

Members online

Latest posts