Cuts as they happen...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
On that note though, if Gute by some blunder didn't quite get his roster down to 53? How big of a fine would he face I wonder?
The most senior veteran becomes an immediate free agent. No compensation. No cap relief as his salary stays on the books until signed. :sneaky:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in my early 20s, a buddy had an old pontoon on a remote lake. On a rainy day, we added some 2x4 posts and a giant tarp. We set out on the lake with a keg of beer and 6 guys playing poker. The rule was that if you got knocked out of the game (out of money - we played with quarters), you could fish your way back into the game. Once you caught a fish, you had to slap someone in the face with it. That person then had to give you $1 in quarters out of their winnings to stake you back into the game.

We ran ashore many times that day. Fun times, but I don't remember any carp. It was mostly sun fish and an occasional hammer handle.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I've heard, he only plays center. That limits his functional usefulness to us greatly. I suspect he'll have to move to another team when Bakhtiari comes back.

That's the problem then...they been playin' EQStB at WR when he's a natural center

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in my early 20s, a buddy had an old pontoon on a remote lake. On a rainy day, we added some 2x4 posts and a giant tarp. We set out on the lake with a keg of beer and 6 guys playing poker. The rule was that if you got knocked out of the game (out of money - we played with quarters), you could fish your way back into the game. Once you caught a fish, you had to slap someone in the face with it. That person then had to give you $1 in quarters out of their winnings to stake you back into the game.

We ran ashore many times that day. Fun times, but I don't remember any carp. It was mostly sun fish and an occasional hammer handle.
I'd lose just to slap all my friends with fish all day

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

My kind of game.

Reaction score
Fun times, but I don't remember any carp. It was mostly sun fish and an occasional hammer handle.
That story is so thread relevant. Talk about getting cut and having to fish your way back in !
Carp fare well in the Mississippi River Spillway (rough water)

Well, looks like the cutdown is past. Quite a Roster! I’m feeling good about this one. If we’re not top dog? We’re going to pose problems for lots of teams. Much will be determined moreso by how much other teams improved or regressed. This schedule cannot be underestimated, we are playing some of the toughest teams league-wide and several Road games that are formidable. We could use a fast start (3-1 etc..).

We need to keep a close eye on this new Defensive approach and give them a few weeks to get cohesive. I have absolutely no worry about having a top 5 Offense.

Also ST needs to have a bounce back year. I don’t expect a top 5 finisher. I do expect a top 16 unit that won’t adversely affect our O + D production.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remembering that story gave me enough juice to power through three more hours of work before going to bed....and it's a good memory!

I fished my way back into that game at least twice. It all ended while four guys were fishing to get back in. Of course, we hadn't brought out bait so were using pieces of plastic or potato chips. Myself and another guy had all of the money at that point - drunk as skunks. I said, let's bet it all on high card. We spread out the deck, each drew a card, and he won it (if I remember) with a six over my four. He probably won $25 worth of quarters and we partied into the night.

As the saying always went for us, no births or deaths that weekend so it was a success.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We see this every season, the QB that should have made the team because of flashing some potential in preseason against backups. In my short memory the only guy they messed up on was Taysom Hill. However, that was mainly because the Saints found a better use for him as a gadget player and a solid #2 QB. I would like to have Benkert back, but if some other team signs him to their 53, which I highly doubt, then so be it. If the Packers get to the point where a Benkert is needed to play, chances are the Packers are in deep trouble anyway.
Good point on Benkert suiting up in a game, although I'd still like him back.

Initially I was disappointed Hill was cut and NO picked him up. He's a great athlete, but not great at any one thing - unless you count gadget player. I don't think he could carry a team as a QB. If Winston goes south, NO will have to look elsewhere next year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Bakhtiari on PUP list this would seem to leave the OL a bit "light"?
LT - Jenkins, Nijman
LG - Patrick, Runyan
OC - Myers, Hanson?
RG - Newman
RT - Turner, Kelly

It will be a very solid, deep OL when Bakhtiari returns but Gute might be rolling the dice releasing Braden & Capra, IMHO.
I thought releasing Braden was a mistake and now he's gone. The OL will hold up fine until there's an injury. Just not as much depth as prior years.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing about Gute, he isn't afraid to swap guys out if he sees what he thinks is a better player available. I can't remember how the waiver claim works right now. I think that there is a time period where you can put in a claim for a cut player, but have to give said player one of your 53 roster spots. After that time period is up, then teams are free to negotiate PS options with all the free agents.

Let's just say I think we see a few new faces in the next few days. Whether they are on the 53 or the PS.
Interesting Poker. So if they pick someone from the waiver wire do they have to cut someone from the 53? Or can they place that acquired player on the PS immediately? That's how I thought it worked. I've been wrong before.......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem with JK Scott punting was he had a very hard time punting in cold weather there it seems. But hopefully Corey B will be the solution and an upgrade. He punted in Buffalo's cold weather.
Scott did have a hard time with cold weather. His biggest problem IMO was inconsistency, and at the end, he was making more bad punts than good ones. I think we got lucky as Buffalo had two good punters and we were able to trade for one of them. He shouldn't have a problem with the cold weather. And cold=weather punting is more about ball placement than distance. The punts are going to be shorter in the cold, so the punter has to kick it to ensure no return (and still get it over 40 yards).

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought releasing Braden was a mistake and now he's gone. The OL will hold up fine until there's an injury. Just not as much depth as prior years.
Not finding anything on the internet... where'd Braden go? Van Lanen & Braden are still on our PS or did someone pilfer?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not finding anything on the internet... where'd Braden go? Van Lanen & Braden are still on our PS or did someone pilfer?
So they're NOT gone, they still practice at the Hutson Center every day along with the rest of the team. Nothing wrong with that (except in their wallet), they'll get their shot at some point.
My mistake, thanks guys.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah EQ honestly took the biggest hit of the guys heading to the PS, BUT EQ arguably is the most ready to slide to an active roster slot and play on a Sunday as well given his experience and not to mention support from #12 he has received over the years.

With nearly ALL of our WRs of note heading into no contract next year presently, I think there is a very good chance EQ is playing for a 2022 spot chance at that like #4 or #5 type guy. Availability has been his number one enemy - he can stay healthy and continue to hang in Green Bay there is a very solid chance he is going to be around in 2022.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah EQ honestly took the biggest hit of the guys heading to the PS, BUT EQ arguably is the most ready to slide to an active roster slot and play on a Sunday as well given his experience and not to mention support from #12 he has received over the years.

With nearly ALL of our WRs of note heading into no contract next year presently, I think there is a very good chance EQ is playing for a 2022 spot chance at that like #4 or #5 type guy. Availability has been his number one enemy - he can stay healthy and continue to hang in Green Bay there is a very solid chance he is going to be around in 2022.
I'm sure when it came down to cuts EQ's was the hardest of all. He's been on the 53 and he's played as long as he's been here. I really thought some other team would claim him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure when it came down to cuts EQ's was the hardest of all. He's been on the 53 and he's played as long as he's been here. I really thought some other team would claim him.

He was the only one I thought might get a claim, and we still could see someone try and sign him off our practice squad. However, very sporadic availability over his years here, but the dude has the size, speed and brains you want in a WR!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts