Cold hard facts.....packers #3???

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If this were an answer in Jeopardy, the question might be: Which stat (or combination of stats) doesn't matter as much as you think it does? ;)

Last edited:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Hold on, let me think about this for a while. I know I can come up with some useless stat or information that can totally blow this BS out of the water.

See, this is were it pays to keep scoring tons of points even when you are winning. Because we all know that having the "smartest" team based on some formula is what teams need to do to win the Super Bowl.

I would love to see the number for all teams over the last 10 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everyone around here knows that I like stats but that is some of the most useless information ever.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CHFF is the site that has Bart Starr as the all time greatest quarterback. So it's likely that they're right about this as well. Genius is rarely appreciated.....

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CHFF is the site that has Bart Starr as the all time greatest quarterback. So it's likely that they're right about this as well. Genius is rarely appreciated.....
Tell me about it :)

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fact is the Packers are in decline due to bad drafts. Too many high draft pick busts have left the team bereft or low on talent at TE, And ILB. NT.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fact is the Packers are in decline due to bad drafts. Too many high draft pick busts have left the team bereft or low on talent at TE, And ILB. NT.

With the way Raji has played this season the Packers are fine at nose tackle. There's no doubt the team is in dire need of an upgrade at TE and ILB though.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Ted Thompson is still in the playoffs for the most cap room left over! New England has just $2 million left over, but they look like they are heading for the Super Bowl. They've been able to find affordable veterans to supplement their young players. TT, on the other hand, would rather draft a guy(cheap) and "develop" him. This Packers team reminds me of the old saying, "good enough never is".

D

Deleted member 6794

But Ted Thompson is still in the playoffs for the most cap room left over! New England has just $2 million left over, but they look like they are heading for the Super Bowl. They've been able to find affordable veterans to supplement their young players. TT, on the other hand, would rather draft a guy(cheap) and "develop" him. This Packers team reminds me of the old saying, "good enough never is".

Spending close to the cap doesn´t guarantee success as five of the 10 teams having the fewest cap space currently have a losing record. Thompson and Russ Ball have mostly done a good job managing the cap, sometimes they just spent money on inferior players.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the way Raji has played this season the Packers are fine at nose tackle. There's no doubt the team is in dire need of an upgrade at TE and ILB though.
Maybe one inside linebacker spot? Clay has looked for the most part great at the other and barring any unseen circumstances, I can see him continuing to get the majority of his snaps there through out his career. Also I'd like to see what 4th rounder Jake Ryan has before worrying too much about the position although I doubt he ever will become a plus in coverage.

I also see a lot of bashing on Ted's drafting on defense on this forum. But that defense with guys like Matthews, D. Jones, Daniels, Clinton-Dix, Randall, has been the only thing keeping us in games for the past two months.

What do I think has been our biggest reason for the 4 losses?

"The network TV people regularly tell viewers that Rodgers undisputedly is the best quarterback in football. In actuality, there hasn't been anything special about his game in almost two months. For the third time in four games, he has had the ball in his hands last with the chance to deliver a victory. This is what two-time MVPs do. Each time, he didn't do enough to get the job done."

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bears-b99623974z1-356554151.html

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe one inside linebacker spot? Clay has looked for the most part great at the other and barring any unseen circumstances, I can see him continuing to get the majority of his snaps there through out his career. Also I'd like to see what 4th rounder Jake Ryan has before worrying too much about the position although I doubt he ever will become a plus in coverage.

I also see a lot of bashing on Ted's drafting on defense on this forum. But that defense with guys like Matthews, D. Jones, Daniels, Clinton-Dix, Randall, has been the only thing keeping us in games for the past two months.

What do I think has been our biggest reason for the 4 losses?

"The network TV people regularly tell viewers that Rodgers undisputedly is the best quarterback in football. In actuality, there hasn't been anything special about his game in almost two months. For the third time in four games, he has had the ball in his hands last with the chance to deliver a victory. This is what two-time MVPs do. Each time, he didn't do enough to get the job done."

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bears-b99623974z1-356554151.html

I wouldn´t mind an upgrade at both inside linebacker positions. While Matthews has been excellent playing in the middle of the field I would prefer to be able to line him up outside more than mostly in the dime package only. Therefore the Packers would need two ILBs capable of at least playing at a decent level.

I agree the defense has mostly kept the Packers in losses to the Lions and Bears but those are below average offenses and they struggled against good offense at Denver and Carolina.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers' personnel are capable of playing at a high level, even with the weaknesses. In today's NFL every team has personnel weaknesses. The Packers' defense ranks 13th in defensive DVOA (not including last game); but ranks 30th in defensive variance; meaning only 2 teams in the league have greater swings in weekly performance. Even with the 5th ranked offense the Packers rank 19th in offensive variance (not including the Chicago debacle). This unacceptable variance in weekly performance is not characteristic of a good team. Some of it is due to personnel; a lot of it is on a coaching staff that can't seem to correct it.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers' personnel are capable of playing at a high level, even with the weaknesses. In today's NFL every team has personnel weaknesses. The Packers' defense ranks 13th in defensive DVOA (not including last game); but ranks 30th in defensive variance; meaning only 2 teams in the league have greater swings in weekly performance. Even with the 5th ranked offense the Packers rank 19th in offensive variance (not including the Chicago debacle). This unacceptable variance in weekly performance is not characteristic of a good team. Some of it is due to personnel; a lot of it is on a coaching staff that can't seem to correct it.

Most of the time I think Football Outsiders are doing a great job evaluating the NFL. I have absolutely no idea how it's possible the Packers offense being ranked fifth in DVOA as if now though.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've been playing like a bunch of *********.
Hate to have it said that way but that is exactly right. How do you go into Minnesota and put up 30 on one of the top defenses, shut down AP, and put Teddy on his back 6 times then look like a high school team at home against the Lions and Bears? This team is capable of losing to any opponent. The focus and mental toughness is not there and the execution shows it. Belicheck would have none of that. Although the Pats got beat last night in OT here is a 10-0 team that has home field just about clinched and they scrap to get down the field in the last seconds to kick the game tying FG. Winning is a way of life.

Members online

Latest posts