COACHING

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 games in and some random observations, based on what I have seen and our roster.

Why no screen passes? I like the fact that MM seems to be running more of a Holmgren version of the WCO, but screens would help neutralize the pass rush much the same way an effective running game can.

Why very little running wide? Seems we run between the tackles 95% of the time. With a young interior line and an aging RB coming off inury this seems to be a road to disaster.

Should the DC look at replacing Poppinga, especially on obvious passing downs. The guy looks lost trying to cover a tight end and Ben Taylor would likely be a better option. Although with the team going nowhere maybe you stick with the greater upside and hope he learns through experience.

Secondary has regressed under Schottenheimer. The corners have been especially exposed early in the season, and Schottenheimer has shown little ability to lead a cohesive unit(in either of his 2 stints with GB).

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as far as screen passes... they ran about 2 or 3 and ahman dropped the pass each time. they also did a lot of passes into the flat that david martin dropped. dropped passes played a big part in this game. but i agree with the screen pass... run that as much as possible.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:
Why no screen passes? I like the fact that MM seems to be running more of a Holmgren version of the WCO, but screens would help neutralize the pass rush much the same way an effective running game can.

Why very little running wide? Seems we run between the tackles 95% of the time. With a young interior line and an aging RB coming off inury this seems to be a road to disaster.
I think that these 2 kind of go together. Both of these plays involve guards getting to the outside and throwing blocks. They've probably failed miserably at getting out on time, and then picking up their assignments in practice. This is the only logical explaination I can think of for the lack of screens and tosses.

Should the DC look at replacing Poppinga, especially on obvious passing downs. The guy looks lost trying to cover a tight end and Ben Taylor would likely be a better option. Although with the team going nowhere maybe you stick with the greater upside and hope he learns through experience.
The staff is stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. Ben Taylor is not a coverage guy, and Abdul Hodge is a pure MLB without a whole lot of speed. Barnett is the only LB on our team able to cover TEs, but it would make no sense to move him to SLB at this point, since he probably has almost no experience at the position.

I'm not a TT hater as most of you know, but I have to get on him here. How do you not have 1 SLB on your team that can cover worth a damn?

Secondary has regressed under Schottenheimer. The corners have been especially exposed early in the season, and Schottenheimer has shown little ability to lead a cohesive unit(in either of his 2 stints with GB).
Carroll has looked even worse than last year, by far. Harris and Woodson both looked awful against the Bears, but were decent this week. Manuel never was good, and outside of 1 play, Nick Collins has been fantastic.

I don't think Shotty is a great coach, but I wouldn't put it on him. I believe that the defensive playcalling has been the big issue. Hopefully Sanders can figure it out, but I don't have a lot of faith. I predict that MM gets at least 1 more season as our HC, but he'll hire a new DC for next season.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont have a problem with the plays that were called last game against the Saints. The thing that frustrates me the most are stupid penalties and dropped passes. Could be a sign of a poor coached team. key words "Could Be"

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i didn't mind the playcalling. We coulda ran it more, that's my only complaint at this time.

I mean, MM can't go out there and CATCH the balls for these guys(we had too many drops..)...

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
i didn't mind the playcalling. We coulda ran it more, that's my only complaint at this time.

I mean, MM can't go out there and CATCH the balls for these guys(we had too many drops..)...

I thought we could have ran more too. But I couldnt put that blame on MM because we tried running and it was just non existant because of our O line. I like the " set up the pass with the run" style offsnese but probably isnt going to happen for us.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah the only difference is this is a rookie hc vs. a 6 year HC who established his sucktitude.

if MM continues the blandness, the predictibility, the lack of run(and passing not working, which ISNT what happend this week, the pass actually DID work) then a lot of people will want MM out.

big difference though.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
This thread looks alot like the threads posted the last two seasons. Just different people making excuses.

I thought the same thing... And where are those who bashed Sherman last year?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right here, and i just stated the (big) difference.

also, besides Holmgren, Sherman also started 0-2.

I will want MM gone if he doesn't improve, stays predictable,etc. but its a rookie HC, not a 6 year HC. ok? ok. done.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So because he's a rookie head coach we are supposed to "Just Deal With It"

I didn't choose a rookie head coach, and I certainly didn't choose the clown zombie that we have Ted Millen did.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who said "Just Deal With It" ?

:searches posts:

Nope, not anywhere. Please read before you reply.

ahh, a COACHING thread turns into a TT thread. well done, pyle! :roll:

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
also, besides Holmgren, Sherman also started 0-2.

Good point. I see 2 VERY big differences in the situations that these 2 got into and the one MM is in.
1. Holmey and Sherman had Wolf as GM, MM has TT.
2. MM has an old Favre, Old Green and no real hope of leading this team to 9-7.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so what are you saying, obi1? Get rid of the old favre(yeah, that would make TT popular) and old green? im not being sarcastic, im not sure what you're getting at. educate me!

TT is still only 2 games into his 2nd year. I am for getting rid of TT if he sucks, but with 2 seasons not even completed....thats just not enough time.. MM is 2 games into his first year(and the improvements he made over 1 week was encouraging to me)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
easy trom....I was just pointing out the similarity of the complaints about the playcalling. I don't pretend to know if MM is doing a good call with this. Just like I said last season if the players execute....not drop passes..... then the playcalling would not look so bad.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
easy trom....I was just pointing out the similarity of the complaints about the playcalling. I don't pretend to know if MM is doing a good call with this. Just like I said last season if the players execute....not drop passes..... then the playcalling would not look so bad.

Well DePack I remember that you pointed this last season, I used to bash Sherman a lot, specially for his predictable playcalling.....

Sometimes you have to be careful with what you ask for as you might get it..

I demanded Sherman to be fired along with all his people, I had the idea that TT will hire Bates or go with Sean Payton or Brad Childress, but he seemed to be slow in deciding and after a long wait he took MM, the coordinator of the worst ofense in the NFL..

So we are getting what anyone could have foreseen the coach of one, if not the worst team in the NFL, I think that tha Raiders are the only team that can get the 1 st pick ahead of us in the next draft..

So I am turning more to college football I am begining to pick my guys for the 2007 draft..

Can we have a HC draft???? Maybe even better a GM draft???

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree.

TT is slow in everything he does. Hence coaches and players get snatched up before the Pack can make a move.

Seems to be a big problem.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
so what are you saying, obi1? Get rid of the old favre(yeah, that would make TT popular) and old green? im not being sarcastic, im not sure what you're getting at. educate me!

TT is still only 2 games into his 2nd year. I am for getting rid of TT if he sucks, but with 2 seasons not even completed....thats just not enough time.. MM is 2 games into his first year(and the improvements he made over 1 week was encouraging to me)

I am saying that Holmgren had Wolf pulling the trigger on Favre , then White, Sean Jones, Guy McIntyre, Jackson, etc. And Favre was young, So was a Leroy Butler, they already had in the cupboard, Sterling Sharpe, Bryce Paup, Tony Bennett, Robert Brooks, Ed West,... The Packer talent was young and plentiful.

MM is coming on to a team that is led by an OLD Favre who may be on his last legs, an old running back who may have lost a step as their top 2 players... Of course there is Driver and he is the only constant.

His cupboard is not as well stocked nor is there much of an opportunity to get the key players that Wolf had a knack for.

MS and MH had Wolf pulling the strings on the best free agents possible. MM has TT NOT pulling the strings...

I am agreeing with you that McCarthy and TT needs to be given more than a 2 game and a season chance. I just don't see MM leading this Packer team to the playoffs any time soon.