Chris Canty. 33 yrs old 6'7" 320. former man-beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy used to be a force of nature. I always believed these former pro-bowlers could perform at that high level in a part time job. but few are willing to humble themselves to admit their market value has dropped, and that they cant be effective 21 games straight anymore... or its the team that leans on them until the old work horse is just going through the motions...............I think everyone knows he is not a full time starter anymore...

But , If I could write the script.....

he has a chance to win a superbowl. Everyone looks better on a defense that is good, including him. You look at it like part time work for part time pay, and the pay cut doesnt look so bad. It extends his career, in that when you are staying fresh, and making plays, and having fun, he will play longer.... For GB we get a situational impact player.

D

Deleted member 6794

This guy used to be a force of nature. I always believed these former pro-bowlers could perform at that high level in a part time job. but few are willing to humble themselves to admit their market value has dropped, and that they cant be effective 21 games straight anymore... or its the team that leans on them until the old work horse is just going through the motions...............I think everyone knows he is not a full time starter anymore...

But , If I could write the script.....

he has a chance to win a superbowl. Everyone looks better on a defense that is good, including him. You look at it like part time work for part time pay, and the pay cut doesnt look so bad. It extends his career, in that when you are staying fresh, and making plays, and having fun, he will play longer.... For GB we get a situational impact player.

Canty would be a nice addition as a rotational player on the defensive line if he´s willing to agree to a deal close to the veteran minimum. I doubt the Packers are interested though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson doesn't sign veteran players for a one year deal unless there are no other other options. They will fill the DL roster position with Ringo or an UFA. A player who has never played a down in the NFL. Why, becausec they would rather develop a player for 3 years from now rather than making the current season the biggest priority.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson doesn't sign veteran players for a one year deal unless there are no other other options. They will fill the DL roster position with Ringo or an UFA. A player who has never played a down in the NFL. Why, becausec they would rather develop a player for 3 years from now rather than making the current season the biggest priority.

That´s why the Packers have mostly avoided having salary cap issues. Unfortunately that will change next offseason.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That´s why the Packers have mostly avoided having salary cap issues. Unfortunately that will change next offseason.

Honestly, I've been attempting to crunch the numbers....I think he may avoid issues, but only because in the end he hopes to release or not re-sign some big names.....Bakh being one, perhaps one or both guards a couple more....that alone frees up a lot.

Then there is the Peppers retirement thing....we win a SB I think this decision gets easier as he'll retire.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly, I've been attempting to crunch the numbers....I think he may avoid issues, but only because in the end he hopes to release or not re-sign some big names.....Bakh being one, perhaps one or both guards a couple more....that alone frees up a lot.

Then there is the Peppers retirement thing....we win a SB I think this decision gets easier as he'll retire.

Well, as soon as the Packers have to release a player or can't re-sign core guys because of not having enough cap space I do consider that as an issue.

I'm convinced Peppers won't be back with the Packers in 2017 no matter what happens this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed...it will be an issue no doubt....but I think there is still away to not be pinching our pockets for next 4 or 5 years...but that is gonna mean some serious let go type moves that will be tough.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed...it will be an issue no doubt....but I think there is still away to not be pinching our pockets for next 4 or 5 years...but that is gonna mean some serious let go type moves that will be tough.

It's a balancing act though. It's easy to keep your team out of cap trouble and not have to pinch pockets as you say but its not so easy to do it and stay competitive. Those serious let go type moves may have a huge impact on our ability to compete.

I think that is what WIMM meant when he said Unfortunately that will change next offseason. If Ted decides we need some of those guys to stay up near the top its going to get really really tight. As it is we are using almost half our cap space next year on our 6 highest paid players and I don't see any of them going anywhere (restructured deals perhaps)

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a balancing act though. It's easy to keep your team out of cap trouble and not have to pinch pockets as you say but its not so easy to do it and stay competitive. Those serious let go type moves may have a huge impact on our ability to compete.

I think that is what WIMM meant when he said Unfortunately that will change next offseason. If Ted decides we need some of those guys to stay up near the top its going to get really really tight. As it is we are using almost half our cap space next year on our 6 highest paid players and I don't see any of them going anywhere (restructured deals perhaps)

The next couple seasons will most likely churn this team over a lot! Ted must extend one of the 2017 FA's during this season to afford whatever his plans are.

2017 offseason

Tretter, could be an "inexpensive" resign, which we need as far as cost
Bahk, I don't know...depends on this year's play, LT's are not cheap
Sitton, getting older, but still a great G
Lang, a good G, but I feel is replaceable

Eddie, the enigma, if he breaks a 1000 this year w/ improved play overall....wtf is he going to cost?

Peppers will probably be gone or retire
Perry isn't a blip on my radar, unless he plays like he did in 2015's post season
Cook has to prove it
Hyde is replaceable
I'm just about done w/ Masthay
Datone Jones
just ****** me off

Back of my mind

Jordy
is approaching the "end"

Clay
is in his 30s

Aaron Rodgers
deal ends in 2017 as well, obviously they will extend (possibly this year)...I can't imagine what the $$$ would be besides MORE than it is now

D

Deleted member 6794

Ted must extend one of the 2017 FA's during this season to afford whatever his plans are.

The Packers most likely don´t have the cap space necessary to extend one of their pending free agents currently playing on a rookie deal this season. That leaves either Sitton, Lang and maybe Peppers as the only candidates.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really would like to see both Rodgers and Claymaker agree to restructuring their contracts.

Honestly this two control a lot of the destiny of the franchise's future after the 2017 season onward...and I'm not necessarily talking their play. They no doubt could grab more money elsewhere....the sad thing is TT MUST resign them, or the fans would have a freaking mutiny....and their agents know this. EVERYONE knows this....so will their contracts basically put us in handcuffs or do either do more what Brady has done for the Patriots...???

I love AR, and despise Tom Brady...but I see Brady being more about the W's in comparison to the money....AR I feel is more 50/50 for some reason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly this two control a lot of the destiny of the franchise's future after the 2017 season onward...and I'm not necessarily talking their play. They no doubt could grab more money elsewhere....the sad thing is TT MUST resign them, or the fans would have a freaking mutiny....and their agents know this. EVERYONE knows this....so will their contracts basically put us in handcuffs or do either do more what Brady has done for the Patriots...???

I love AR, and despise Tom Brady...but I see Brady being more about the W's in comparison to the money....AR I feel is more 50/50 for some reason.

Brady restructuring his contract several times has for sure helped the Patriots in the short term but there´s risk involved with it as well, especially with him turning 39 years old before the start of this season. Currently the structure of his contract would call for a $27 million dead money cap hit in 2017 as well as $14 million in ´18.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Patriots are taking a big gamble with Brady by pushing his money out in the form of bonuses. I love how so many people say Brady is a team player and he is only getting paid 1 million dollars this year and next. Well I'd work for that too if my employer wrote me a check for 28 million last year. He has an extremely reasonable cap figure of 14 million for this year and next. In 2018 and 2019 it jumps to 22 million. Which still isn't bad considering Rodgers will have been hovering around 20 million for 2 years already by then. The difference is that in 2018 and 2019 not only will Brady be significantly older than Rodgers he will cost about a million more in cap and, like WIMM said, he has a pretty big dead money hit.

My guess is Brady retires after 2018 and the Patriots take the hit and move on.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to keep Rodgers until he quits. End of that story. $30mil? Dont matter........

Clay on the other hand is nice to have. But not a must have IMO. He is very expensive IMO. And so far he has played up to that figure IMO. But as he ages, the number needs to reflect the production. Players rarely accept that, and they move on.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to keep Rodgers until he quits. End of that story. $30mil? Dont matter........

Clay on the other hand is nice to have. But not a must have IMO. He is very expensive IMO. And so far he has played up to that figure IMO. But as he ages, the number needs to reflect the production. Players rarely accept that, and they move on.

You think Clay has played well enough to warrant an almost $14M cap hit in 2016 (4th highest among LB's in the NFL for 2016)? I don't. I love Clay but he's overpaid.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have significantly overpaid for Matthews over the last one and a half seasons as a mediocre inside linebacker shouldn't make over $13 million a season.

Thompson is mostly to blame for him having to play out of position because of a lack of talent at ILB.

It remains to be seen if Clay is able to perform up to his contract moving back outside as he struggled rushing the passer from the edge during the first half of the 2014 season.

With him being under contract for another three season it's way too early to think about his next deal.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers most likely don´t have the cap space necessary to extend one of their pending free agents currently playing on a rookie deal this season. That leaves either Sitton, Lang and maybe Peppers as the only candidates.

They have the room, prior to Free Agency they had around 23mil in space, signed Cook & Starks brought it to about 13, then the draft, which no way takes up that money. There's something left, albeit, they need a little breathing room for the season, but they have something to apply towards an extension for someone

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...te-2016-nfl-draft-projection-1-75-million-hit

D

Deleted member 6794

They have the room, prior to Free Agency they had around 23mil in space, signed Cook & Starks brought it to about 13, then the draft, which no way takes up that money. There's something left, albeit, they need a little breathing room for the season, but they have something to apply towards an extension for someone

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...te-2016-nfl-draft-projection-1-75-million-hit

Geez, it's really not that hard to understand. The Packer currently have approximately $9.7 million of cap space available. The team will need $1.2 million of it to sign Kenny Clark, another $2 million for players #52 and #53 on the roster and the 10 guys being put on the practice squad as well as $3-5 million for replacement for the ones ending up on injured reserve.

Depending on how many season ending injuries the Packers will suffer it will leave them with $1.5-3.5 million on cap space. Not enough to extend someone currently on a rookie deal.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, it's really not that hard to understand. The Packer currently have approximately $9.7 million of cap space available. The team will need $1.2 million of it to sign Kenny Clark, another $2 million for players #52 and #53 on the roster and the 10 guys being put on the practice squad as well as $3-5 million for replacement for the ones ending up on injured reserve.

Depending on how many season ending injuries the Packers will suffer it will leave them with $1.5-3.5 million on cap space. Not enough to extend someone currently on a rookie deal.
Nice, I thought we were around 5mil only...We still have half Teds cush...If Ted decides to go all in next year , he will be able to retain another veteran that I didnt think we could afford...

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You spitting out facts doesn't make it evidence, do you have any supporting links/sites/references?

D

Deleted member 6794

You spitting out facts doesn't make it evidence, do you have any supporting links/sites/references?

It has been explained a lot of times on this forum. It´s fine if you don´t understand the league´s salary cap but you should believe the guys comprehending the details of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts