"Celebrating" a Player Being Released

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilder and Demonvsky (sp?) both tweeted that they understand fans ripping a player for poor performance, but they think it's wrong to celebrate someone being fired. One acknowledged it's a highly-compensated athlete that distinguishes it, but the point remains.

I'm curious - what is your thought on this matter?

I, honestly, struggled with this. But, came to the conclusion that being a professional athlete distinguishes a player being "fired" to a normal Joe Schmoe being fired. They are all highly compensated. And if they are costing the team games - which Ross did to an extent, which is saying something since he was only in there on returns - there can be no other result. So, I celebrate the fact the Packers are moving on from a player that wasn't cutting it. I acknowledge that it sucks for him and his family as a person. But, given the public nature of his profession, the level of scrutiny that comes with it, and the fact that only a few lucky athletes make the league, I don't think it's poor form for passionate fans to celebrate this news. Maybe I'm just trying to justify it. But, it seems fair for fans to react positively to this news - or news like it.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It comes with the territory. No one is hating on Jeremy Ross the man. He had ample opportunity to retain his job.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would all come down to someone's definition of celebrating. Is it jumping up and down and jubilant cheers, or is it like celebrating Michael Bolton's entire catalog?

I'm celebrating the Packers willingness to improve at the position, and if that means terminating a contract then so be it. This is professional sports. If my boss were an idiot who made mistakes that affected the outcome of my work product, I'd probably appreciate his ouster as well.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilder and Demonvsky (sp?) both tweeted that they understand fans ripping a player for poor performance, but they think it's wrong to celebrate someone being fired. One acknowledged it's a highly-compensated athlete that distinguishes it, but the point remains.

I, honestly, struggled with this. But, came to the conclusion that being a professional athlete distinguishes a player being "fired" to a normal Joe Schmoe being fired. They are all highly compensated. And if they are costing the team games - which Ross did to an extent, which is saying something since he was only in there on returns - there can be no other result. So, I celebrate the fact the Packers are moving on from a player that wasn't cutting it. I acknowledge that it sucks for him and his family as a person. But, given the public nature of his profession, the level of scrutiny that comes with it, and the fact that only a few lucky athletes make the league, I don't think it's poor form for passionate fans to celebrate this news. Maybe I'm just trying to justify it. But, it seems fair for fans to react positively to this news - or news like it.

I feel bad for the kid, your childhood dream comes true and you repeatedly screw up until you get cut. Ross didn't do anything personally wrong, he was just a bad player.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that "celebrating" is too strong of a word. I happy to hear that he will no longer be returning kicks and if that means he is no longer a Packer then so be it. I would like to see someone be able to fill in for him and do a better job. Perhaps Jonathan Franklin, depending upon how Lacy and Starks feel come wee 5? Personally I would really like to see Tyrone Walker come back. He looked explosive in preseason and could really zip i between defenders and be a surprise threat.

Like it or not, Ross did affect the out come of the Bengals game pretty heavily. He also affected the outcome of the playoff game last season vs. the 49ers. He has cost us a ton on special teams. I know that Ross isn't the sole blame for the loss on Sunday (the turnover are what really cost us.) but you could argue that had Ross not muffed that kick off the Bengals would likely have 1 less TD in the game. If we had got that possession we may not have marched down the field and scored, but at least we would have punted it away and make the Bengals work for a TD rather than gift one to them.

Hopefully this is a start of a major shift in how we play football and we go 14-2 on the season. As I mentioned in an earlier post, with the way the Bears are playing we are going to have to go 13-3, maybe 12-4 to win the division.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any player can get benched, out with an injury or cut at any time for any reason.
So on the one hand I can empathize with those players who don't like it that Packers fans are happy about the loss of Ross.
On the other I can understand why fans are happy to see him go.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could care less. It's a business. You suck at your job. You're fired. We are happy to see you go. Comes with the territory. We just as easily would have been on our feet cheering him if he actually did something productive.

And btw, dude prob made more than I make in 5 or 6 years to drop punts and generally suck for the Packers for one playoff game and 3 reg seasons games. They could have paid me half to do the same freaking thing!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
This would all come down to someone's definition of celebrating. Is it jumping up and down and jubilant cheers, or is it like celebrating Michael Bolton's entire catalog?

I'm celebrating the Packers willingness to improve at the position, and if that means terminating a contract then so be it. This is professional sports. If my boss were an idiot who made mistakes that affected the outcome of my work product, I'd probably appreciate his ouster as well.
Very much this. He looked like a stud for a while there, then he fumbled in the playoffs and was never the same. Time for a change of scenery.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They killed Dan Devine's dog for less.
I never heard of this.
What I did read, here on the forum at another time, was that a coach's dog was killed when they wouldn't let Burt Fail back and gave the starting position to Air-Run. (I don't know if that incident was true or part of this rumor.)
So I looked up your claim.
What it all was, was just a rumor actually started by Dan himself.
His dog was not killed by a fan but by a farmer, "accidentally," who just wanted to scare the dog away when it was chasing his ducks.
It doesn't make it any better because Dumb Dan would let his dogs run around.
And the stupid farmer was wrong for shooting at the dog.
Anyone who really cares about animals wouldn't be shooting at them in the first place.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I never heard of this.
What I did read, here on the forum at another time, was that a coach's dog was killed when they wouldn't let Burt Fail back and gave the starting position to Air-Run. (I don't know if that incident was true or part of this rumor.)
His dog was not killed by a fan but by a farmer, "accidentally," who just wanted to scare the dog away when it was chasing his ducks.
Anyone who really cares about animals wouldn't be shooting at them in the first place.

A neighbor killed it on accident???

People think it was on purpose cuz Dan as the new head coach didnt do a good job with the Pack

But the neighbor admitted it was on accident??

I am to tired to google it, but that is what I recall

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I never heard of this.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A neighbor killed it on accident???

People think it was on purpose cuz Dan as the new head coach didnt do a good job with the Pack

But the neighbor admitted it was on accident??

I am to tired to google it, but that is what I recall
http://www.classicwisconsin.com/features/dandog.html

Himself
Devine offered a detailed explanation in his autobiography, published in 2000. He acknowledged that his dogs wandered freely and created mischief; one turned up wounded during hunting season and was nursed back to health.

“Rumors circulated that some disgruntled fans or anti-Devine people had shot my dog,” he said in the book. “I honestly don’t believe that was what happened.”

“We weren’t so lucky with another one of our dogs,” Devine continued. “It was only a couple days later, ironically, when the dog wandered over to a nearby farm and began chasing the farmer’s ducks. The farmer, a neighbor who we knew very well, fired a gun at the dog, intending to scare him and get him away from his ducks. Well, the bullet happened to hit the dog and killed him. He had every right to shoot at the dog, and he knew it and I knew it.

“Still, he felt terrible about what happened. I saw him walking toward our house, carrying the dead dog in his arms, crying uncontrollably. He kept saying, ‘I didn’t mean to kill him,’ and I knew that was true. Still more rumors spread, even though it was a total accident, and that night I was down at his house, playing basketball with his kids."

“All those rumors reflected badly on the good people of Green Bay. Most of the people we met were genuine and nice to us…"

There it is.

Devine was capable of being disingenuous, no doubt. He offered the dog story to TIME Magazine as evidence of poor treatment in Green Bay, and he let the legend metastasize for years, permanently besmirching the city’s reputation. For what it’s worth (not much if the national media reports are any indication), the former coach came clean in the end...

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It comes with the territory. No one is hating on Jeremy Ross the man. He had ample opportunity to retain his job.
Disagree completely with you on that one :tup:. Reading some of the comments on here. I think we were looking for a scapegoat and Ross was it. Both those fumbles impacted negatively on us but they didn`t cost us the games, poor ALL AROUND performances cost us the games. The Golden Boy himself cost us the last game, and I honestly think he needs a reality check because I think he`s beginning to believe his own hype. Looking at his body language and his highly visible argument on the sideline with McCarthy, I am seriously beginning to think Jennings comments about Rodgers may have carried some weight !.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Disagree completely with you on that one :tup:. Reading some of the comments on here. I think we were looking for a scapegoat and Ross was it. Both those fumbles impacted negatively on us but they didn`t cost us the games, poor ALL AROUND performances cost us the games. The Golden Boy himself cost us the last game, and I honestly think he needs a reality check because I think he`s beginning to believe his own hype. Looking at his body language and his highly visible argument on the sideline with McCarthy, I am seriously beginning to think Jennings comments about Rodgers may have carried some weight !.

If we lost by 4 points and he muffed it up on the damn 3 yard line and they scored resulting in a "free 7 points", how is that not directly involve him as a main culprit? Without that muff, we win......yes, others helped to contribute, but he is a main blame. He also didnt help our efforts in the SF game earlier. He also F'ed up in the play offs last season. If you have one main job, and you consistantly f*ck up at that one job, you should be fired, end of story.

Also, is Arod not human? Is he not allowed to have a bad day like the rest of us in the world? Bad days happen to all of us, his just happened to fall on a sunday. If he were to have had 2 crappy games previously, then it would be an issue, but one bad game does not make him fall into some sort of hype that some washed up vikings WR said about him. That was just a crappy comment by you.

I

If we lost by 4 points and he muffed it up on the damn 3 yard line and they scored resulting in a "free 7 points", how is that not directly involve him as a main culprit? Without that muff, we win......yes, others helped to contribute, but he is a main blame. He also didnt help our efforts in the SF game earlier. He also F'ed up in the play offs last season. If you have one main job, and you consistantly f*ck up at that one job, you should be fired, end of story.

Also, is Arod not human? Is he not allowed to have a bad day like the rest of us in the world? Bad days happen to all of us, his just happened to fall on a sunday. If he were to have had 2 crappy games previously, then it would be an issue, but one bad game does not make him fall into some sort of hype that some washed up vikings WR said about him. That was just a crappy comment by you.
I'll live with it

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buggy Bill--say it ain't so....Jennings has been pretty quiet about his current QB, who he said could make all the throws. Rogers had a bad game. But he looked pretty good when they scored 30 straight, didn't he?

I

Buggy Bill--say it ain't so....Jennings has been pretty quiet about his current QB, who he said could make all the throws. Rogers had a bad game. But he looked pretty good when they scored 30 straight, didn't he?
yeah Jb, he did but to me a mere novice by your standards, he took his foot off the gas and contributed to losing us the game. His argument with the coach did not look good on national t.v. and he isn't above critisism. sorry, I feel as strongly about this as others do the other way, and as far as I'm aware, I'm entitled to express it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah Jb, he did but to me a mere novice by your standards, he took his foot off the gas and contributed to losing us the game. His argument with the coach did not look good on national t.v. and he isn't above critisism. sorry, I feel as strongly about this as others do the other way, and as far as I'm aware, I'm entitled to express it ;)
Hey--I'm not criticizing you--always enjoy a Brit's look on things. I never like arrogance, and Rogers--like a lot of type A people--certainly has some. But I think he's the best in the game at present, and am willing to cut him a little slack.

I

Hey--I'm not criticizing you--always enjoy a Brit's look on things. I never like arrogance, and Rogers--like a lot of type A people--certainly has some. But I think he's the best in the game at present, and am willing to cut him a little slack.
And when I calm down a bit I probably will too ;), I`m just a little pissed that he seems above reproach :tup:. I`m not here to fall out with ANYBODY.....lol No problem here bud.

I

Or here. Are you close to London? If so, are you going to the Yikes/Steelers game? It's good to see both of those teams struggling, so whomever loses I will enjoy.
Sadly I cant make it this year, although this is the first year I`ll miss it. I saw the Bears a few years back and booed them ALL through the game....lol (on principle !)

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score

I guess I'm in bad taste then because I'm celebrating my a** off over Ross being cut.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Latest posts