Card game....studs n duds

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how did that work out yesterday? He fumbled twice yesterday on sacks and threw a pick 6 on another play where he held the ball too long. I understand that he'd rather take a sack than throw an interception. But at times it seems as though he would also rather take a sack than throw away an incomplete pass out of bounds. Sacks aren't a good option anyway. They're drive killers and about 1 out of 6 sacks in the NFL result in a fumble. He was lucky enough to recover one of his two yesterday. He has to learn when to throw the ball away but I don't think he ever will.

Well first, he didn't throw a pick 6. He had two sack fumbles. He wasn't sitting back in the pocket for 10 seconds trying to figure out what he should do as you imply. The pocket collapsed within seconds on what seemed like every play. He had no time to throw it away. On the second fumble/TD, he was outside the pocket trying to make a play. You can't criticize him for not making plays but then criticize him for not throwing the ball away. I agree he has his faults in this debacle but make no mistake, he is also still the reason this offense has the minimal success it has had. He didn't just all of a sudden go from the league MVP to some scrub. Our offense as a whole, to include play calling, is f'd and is not going to change this year. They are not going to all of sudden magically fix this for the playoffs.

And in response to who else in the NFC could beat us, probably anyone. I think this Viking game is not going to be pretty. They had 4-5 key defensive starters out last game.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so over confident in the fact that we'd beat Minnesota or Washington in the playoffs . Especially not now. This team isn't very good on tape.

If we are honest. We see the depleted O Line and the lack of reliable recievers. We probably all know in the back of our minds that every game will be a challenge from here on out. But hoping for the best can't hurt.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are honest. We see the depleted O Line and the lack of reliable recievers. We probably all know in the back of our minds that every game will be a challenge from here on out. But hoping for the best can't hurt.

This is my mindset. As a fan, I always hope for the best and actually think we will win every game. Even yesterday, after we scored and it was 31-8 with plenty of time in the 3rd, I though a comeback was possible. But then we had a few more offensive series of crap and I was brought back to reality. I don't think my optimism will change and neither will my massive disappointment.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But, a private owner? No, no and a thousand times no. Part of the greatness that is the Green Bay Packers is the fact that it doesn't have a "Jerry Jones" or "Dan Snyder" at the helm. I really like the idea of a team owned by a group rather than an indvidual.

I plead "temporary insanity", overcome, as it were, by my grief at the horrendous shellacking endured by my beloved Green Bay Packers on 27 December, 2015.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The announcers called it when they said every snap of the ball was an all out battle for GB just to make it a positive play. It was true, everything seemed like it was difficult work out there, and that was just to keep the heads above water. They're about out of time to put something together, and unlike a few weeks ago when it seemed like pieces were starting to work a bit better, they seem to be regressing quickly. Not a good look heading into the post season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep- and most opposing defenses are parking two safeties deep cause our run game is mediocre and we can't/don't attach the middle of the field with the pass. The big plays aren't there for a reason. We must improve at TE. Having Montgomery back next year will be a boost too.

Who still thinks signing Cobb at $10M/season was a great deal? -He's a nifty weapon when there's depth and talent at WR but all his shortcomings are glaring this year.

The o-line has been abysmal this year but I'm disappointed by the staff's lack of flexibility under the circumstances. Retool the playbook so Rodgers isn't holding the ball so damn long. Fewer five-step drops; more quick passes. Stay on schedule because this offense is extremely vulnerable in third and long.

Execution was the major issue yesterday. There is no playbook in the world that works with poor pass protection, WRs who don't beat coverage, and a QB throwing bad passes.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so over confident in the fact that we'd beat Minnesota or Washington in the playoffs . Especially not now. This team isn't very good on tape.

And I didn't say confident... Let's be honest, are you that confident they wont win?

I wouldn't be the one to bet against the Packers in those games either. Which to me, means it's a coinflip at best and the best team that day will win.

Homer glasses off, I don't think either of those team is clearly more talented than green bay.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I didn't say confident... Let's be honest, are you that confident they wont win?

I wouldn't be the one to bet against the Packers in those games either. Which to me, means it's a coinflip at best and the best team that day will win.

Homer glasses off, I don't think either of those team is clearly more talented than green bay.

Unfortunately, both teams are playing better offense and defense than the Packers right now. Washington is playing fantastically and I don't want to face them, bad match up. Vikings at home is our best bet but then we go play AZ. I think our best shot to get to the NFC Champioship game (and I say this with an almost straight face) would be to have the 5th seed, beat WASH, have the Vikings beat Seattle, and play CAR.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've all seen this type of performance since the Mike Holmgren era. I think it's a flaw of the "West Coast" system. The Packers system collapses against teams that are fast, repeat fast, and aggressive. If you play passive at all against Green Bay, you're dead. The best teams in the league simply come at them full bore, and the Packers can't deal with it.
Everyone talks about the offense, but this is another example of how slow-footed the Packers are compared to many other teams. The defense is always a step slow. They tend to be thinking too much rather than just going for it.
Everyone's hero, Ted Thompson, has to share some of the blame. He has rarely, with few exceptions, put a value on speed. He also thinks that if you shop at Goodwill you will find a player that came from Macy's.

What is scary to me is this version of the Packers is beginning to look like the '80's Packers: good QB, mediocre(and highly overrated) offensive line, lousy running game, overrated receivers. Defensively there are always a million excuses, except they can't stop anybody when it counts.

You can blame the coaches, and I think Capers should have been replaced years ago, but the offensive system produced a Super Bowl win and the potential of five division championships. I don't think it's McCarthy at all.

It all comes down to the players. There aren't enough "blue chip" Packers players to win. They will beat a few tomato cans, but when they play the good teams, they can't win. The thrashing by the Cardinals isn't the only game when the Packers looked pathetic this year--remember the Panthers?

Believe it or not, it is very close to housecleaning time among the players.

I think you are right about housecleaning time amongst the players. I suggest we may need to go deeper than players. I think the coaching staff is inflexible. We need a complete review. We are stagnant under a regime too long calling the shots. We are stale.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, both teams are playing better offense and defense than the Packers right now. Washington is playing fantastically and I don't want to face them, bad match up. Vikings at home is our best bet but then we go play AZ. I think our best shot to get to the NFC Champioship game (and I say this with an almost straight face) would be to have the 5th seed, beat WASH, have the Vikings beat Seattle, and play CAR.

Carolina was favored by like 10+ as was Seattle.... None of those teams have more talent than the Packers. They just need to execute to win. Whether they do or not is a whole other story.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are right about housecleaning time amongst the players. I suggest we may need to go deeper than players. I think the coaching staff is inflexible. We need a complete review. We are stagnant under a regime too long calling the shots. We are stale.

I think we should build a new stadium too, that thing has been around too damn long. Retractable dome roof is the way of the future.

Also I think Chip Kelly is available, he's into shaking things up.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You guys think the playoff team who may win the division can finish the season before firing all the players, coordinators coaches and front office? Just an idea though.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well first, he didn't throw a pick 6. He had two sack fumbles. He wasn't sitting back in the pocket for 10 seconds trying to figure out what he should do as you imply. The pocket collapsed within seconds on what seemed like every play. He had no time to throw it away. On the second fumble/TD, he was outside the pocket trying to make a play.

Okay, so the TD wasn't an interception. It kinda looked like one though. Regardless, I was wrong about the number of fumbles then. He fumbled three times and recovered one of them. Either way, he should be able to sense when the pocket is collapsing and recognize that his receivers won't have time to get open and chuck the ball out of bounds in the general direction of one of them. Nearly every other NFL QB throws the ball away when it is appropriate to do so. He occasionally does it after scrambling, but very, very rarely from the pocket. It's a fault in his game that even MM acknowledged in the post-game.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to use a good scottish word, this game was PISH

i can handle any loss from any of my teams as long as it at least looks like we tried, but this game was just garbage

Studs ARZ
duds GB

its that simple really. really wondering if i'll stay up to watch the MIN game on sunday night 1:30am kick off

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should build a new stadium too, that thing has been around too damn long. Retractable dome roof is the way of the future.

Also I think Chip Kelly is available, he's into shaking things up.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You guys think the playoff team who may win the division can finish the season before firing all the players, coordinators coaches and front office? Just an idea though.

Great point. The facility is historic, but in that weather, they need a retractable roof. A stadium that equals greatness. Part of the whole shake up needed. They are stale. Same crap, different day.

They are losing by 3 scores. They won't win 3 playoff games on the road.