Bucks 2022-2023

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be nice to surround the core with younger players. That's not always possible. I was looking at the Bucks picks down the road, and it's a nightmare trying to decipher exactly what it is they actually have, and in all honesty, it's a cluster.

Until they can end up with decent picks, they have no choice but keep at it with the veterans.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The age factor doesn't really bother me. I am trying to find a statistic that accounts for age and minutes played per game. Pretty certain that it would show that while the Bucks may have the highest average age, the amount of minutes played by starters is less than many teams. This is due to their depth.

The Bucks have been consistently able to give players games off, as well as minutes off in games they play in. This seems to be Buds approach and this year, the deeper bench really allowed more spreading of the minutes and still finish with the best record in the NBA.

What is the effect of doing that? Hopefully fresher bodies come playoffs, as well as a bench that is deep and experienced with playing time.

For Instance.

Look at average minutes per game for Celtics and the Bucks:
Games started (played) is on the far right.

NAME
Jayson Tatum SF 36.9 Min./game 74 games
Jaylen Brown SG 35.9 67
Marcus Smart PG 32.1 61
Al Horford C 30.5 63
Derrick White PG 28.6 69
Grant Williams PF 26.1 23
Malcolm Brogdon PG 26 0
Robert Williams III C 23.5 20

Bucks:

Jrue Holiday
PG 32.6 65
Giannis Antetokounmpo PF 32.1 63
Brook Lopez C 30.4 78
Grayson Allen SG 27.4 70
Bobby Portis F 26.1 21
Khris Middleton SF 24.3 19
Pat Connaughton SG 23.7 33
Joe Ingles SG 22.8 0
Jevon Carter PG * 22.4 38

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It would be nice to surround the core with younger players. That's not always possible. I was looking at the Bucks picks down the road, and it's a nightmare trying to decipher exactly what it is they actually have, and in all honesty, it's a cluster.

Until they can end up with decent picks, they have no choice but keep at it with the veterans.

Yeah, they have pretty much traded away all their draft picks. I don't think they have a 1st round, until 2028 and only two 2nd round picks between now and then.

The NBA is not like the NFL, sure the top 10 or so picks are usually solid players, but like MLB, the NBA teams get a lot of their players from other leagues in the States and all over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Today marks the beginning of the Bucks 2023 playoff run against the #8 seed Miami Heat. The Bucks haven't set foot on the court for live action in over a week, maybe longer in that they sat the starters after clinching home court.

So my understanding is that the battered and beat-up Bucks starters are healed up and even Middleton is ready to go (at least until he's not, halfway thru the 1st half).

The Bucks and Heat split in 2023 with the home team winning each time and it seems as though these teams were playing with a long injury list each time. Still, an 8 versus a 1 -- splitting 2 and 2? The Heat always seem to play the Bucks tough.

I don't know why, but I'm just not sold on this Bucks team and yeah, I get it ... "You are what your record says you are". Should I be more excited? Someone? Anyone?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally understand why you'd be skeptical about how well the Bucks will do in the playoffs. The won/lost record says one thing, but the fact that they were blown out in games by what appeared to be teams that didn't even belong on the floor with them, has to enter the picture. And, like you said, the Heat has no fear of playing the Bucks, and seems to have their number when playing in Miami.

But, through all the things that make us skeptical, the one thing that shines through is the fact that this Bucks team seems to have a lot more depth than they have in previous years, and it's an experienced group, that has bench players who are capable of going off on a given night, and putting up a lot of points.

It's going to be interesting against the Heat, but I think the Bucks are going to take this series. I'm also a believer they could win the whole thing, as long as they stay healthy.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have just watched 10 or so games this season and they are fun to watch. Seems to be a lot of confidence on the team. Even when down, they do not panic but methodically do their thing. I think they have a better chance to win this season than 2 years ago when they won it all

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about the Bucks, until they have to play the Celtics in the Eastern finals. These 2 teams are by far better than the rest of the pack. Now the 6'ers could be trouble, they have finally started to jell, fortunately, the Bucks don't have to play them, unless it is in the East finals.

The NBA is a funny league. Too long of a season IMO and many of the games become meaningless in regards to a W or L. Starters are sat, games get out of hand and everyone just goes through the motions. Sucks to be a fan that bought a $150 ticket for one of those games, I've been there. Sit in your seat and see Giannis, Middleton and Holiday in street clothes, as the scrubs are warming up.

The week+ off did the Bucks some good, I hope. They might come out a bit rusty, but I think it probably reset their frame of mind to "The Playoffs start now!" Not to mention the rest to heal up a bit. Out of all the playoff teams, I would wager to say that the Bucks starting 5/6 have the least minutes on their bodies. This is the deepest team that I can remember the Bucks having. It's also a team with a lot of playoff experience, not much is going to rattle them. I predict a sweep of the Heat.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just finished reading an article where the Bucks front office stated that Middleton is fully healed, and ready to go full time, for the playoffs. I'm glad to hear that, because we're going to need him along the way.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just finished reading an article where the Bucks front office stated that Middleton is fully healed, and ready to go full time, for the playoffs. I'm glad to hear that, because we're going to need him along the way.
Sounds like nobody is on the Bucks injury report, not even Grayson Allen. Definitely a good sign, but my guess is that Bud will still not push Middleton and maybe not Allen either if his ankle is still bothering him. The good news, as some of us have discussed, a deep bench should be able to cover for either of those guys missing extra minutes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If I was Bud, the one thing I would be preaching over and over in the next week, "Don't look past these guys." Given the veteran presence and playoff experience, I don't think they will fall into that trap.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was Bud, the one thing I would be preaching over and over in the next week, "Don't look past these guys." Given the veteran presence and playoff experience, I don't think they will fall into that trap.
Agreed. Despite the experience the Bucks players had, it's easy to overlook what should be obvious. They need to start the game hitting on 8 cylinders, and keep the pedal to the metal. They need to break the Heat's spirit.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Looked to me like he landed on his tailbone. ...losing in Milwaukee, tough to watch.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucks will lose Giannis for a short spell. The Heat have lost Herro for the entire series, possible playoffs.

It's up to the Bucks to pull it together and win game 2, then win one out of two in Atlanta, to even the series. IF they do that, Giannis will be back, and every bit as tough as he was before he got hurt.

The way they were playing before Giannis was injured told me they were in danger of losing that game with or without him.

They're now going to have some real motivation to prove they belong on the court, as individuals. It would also be nice if the officials got a little more consistent on their calls. The charges called, both ways, were absurd.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's up to the Bucks to pull it together and win game 2, then win one out of two in Atlanta, to even the series. IF they do that, Giannis will be back, and every bit as tough as he was before he got hurt.
Jeesh, I hope they don't stop in Atlanta to play the Hawks, that might be embarrassing when a 3rd team shows up. :roflmao: :roflmao:

The refs let that game go yesterday. I really hate pointing fingers at refs, but the game got way too physical and those charging calls were just blatantly missed or blatantly called poorly. The Heat likes to push the Bucks around and collapse 3-4 on Giannis and early on, it was working. Giannis needs to dish the ball and not try to crash in on that many guys. Sure, looks good when he makes it, but not when he misses, fouls and in one case, got hurt.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I hate games that the officials allow to disintegrate into a body slamming contest - but, I think the Bucks have rep (right or wrong) for not responding well to getting pushed around.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hate games that the officials allow to disintegrate into a body slamming contest - but, I think the Bucks have rep (right or wrong) for not responding well to getting pushed around.
Yup, much like Rodgers, when you start getting pushed off your game, you get rattled. Hoping Bud and the players can prepare better for it. Guessing a different group of refs will be on the court and I sure hope they do a better job. I also hope I don't have to listen to Reggie Miller do color on another Bucks game, I just can't stand that guy, felt like I was listening to a Miami broadcaster.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bad part was Bud challenged the wrong play. The blocking foul against Giannis was the one he should have challenged. Even Reggie Miller agreed with that one. And he hates the Bucks!

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, much like Rodgers, when you start getting pushed off your game, you get rattled. Hoping Bud and the players can prepare better for it. Guessing a different group of refs will be on the court and I sure hope they do a better job. I also hope I don't have to listen to Reggie Miller do color on another Bucks game, I just can't stand that guy, felt like I was listening to a Miami broadcaster.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oops on Atlanta. Meant Miami. Old age ya know. ;)

Bud doesn't have a good record in game 1 of series. It's like he hasn't prepared the team.

Yes, the officials were bad, both ways, in the game. They let guys maul each other at times, then they would call pitty-patty calls later. Even had a lot of cases where two officials saw specific foul calls both ways. If that happens to often, it tells me they see the game way too differently than each other, and that's not good. It means they're going to effect the outcome.

I was concerned that we didn't see Connaughton last night.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oops on Atlanta. Meant Miami. Old age ya know. ;)

Bud doesn't have a good record in game 1 of series. It's like he hasn't prepared the team.

Yes, the officials were bad, both ways, in the game. They let guys maul each other at times, then they would call pitty-patty calls later. Even had a lot of cases where two officials saw specific foul calls both ways. If that happens to often, it tells me they see the game way too differently than each other, and that's not good. It means they're going to effect the outcome.

I was concerned that we didn't see Connaughton last night.
I think PC is still nursing a bad ankle.

Really, to sum up the game, besides the Giannis injury all you have to look at is the shooting %'s and shots. The Bucks took 132 shots, the Heat only took 109, but the Heat just shot the heck out of the ball.

Bucks:
FG : 40.5% (34 of 84)
3pt: 39.6% (19 of 48)
FT's: 66.7% (8 of 12)

Heat:
FG : 51.7% (45 of 87)
3pt: 50.0% (11 of 22)
FT's: 83.3% (10 of 12)

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think PC is still nursing a bad ankle.

Really, to sum up the game, besides the Giannis injury all you have to look at is the shooting %'s and shots. The Bucks took 132 shots, the Heat only took 109, but the Heat just shot the heck out of the ball.

Bucks:
FG : 40.5% (34 of 84)
3pt: 39.6% (19 of 48)
FT's: 66.7% (8 of 12)

Heat:
FG : 51.7% (45 of 87)
3pt: 50.0% (11 of 22)
FT's: 83.3% (10 of 12)
If the Bucks continue to play like the stats indicate, they're gone in 4.

Members online

Latest posts