Bucks 2022-2023

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Shaggy can't be too happy, nobody is talking about The Bucks!

It has been a great season for them so far and they are just heating up with 16 straight wins! The Crowder acquisition was a good one and just made this team even deeper. Everyday that I look at the Boxscore or take the time to watch a game, I am amazed at how many different guys step up each game.

Getting Middleton healthy and ready (no rust) for the playoffs is priority #1 right now. While I think this team could still win it all without him, they are a better team when he is at 100%. Obviously, keeping Giannis healthy is even more important, the guy just keeps getting better.

The Celtics have built a really good team too, so I can see the Bucks and them squaring off for the Eastern Division title. Let's hang on to the #1 seed, get healthy and win another Championship!

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucks have been playing great. Their present run is amazing. They're starting to look like a power house. As I watch them play, I don't see that they lost a step without the players they dropped, or traded. That said, I don't see enough out of Crowder yet to say it was a good trade either. It all remains to be seen.

But, I do know one thing. Giannis is a load out there. Where he wasn't part of the conversation most of the year, he's now involved in the MVP conversations. It could happen. Top that off with the Bucks being a real threat to win it all. Could be the only great year for Wisconsin based sports.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Crowder does things you probably won't see show up on the stat sheets. He is considered a very good defender and for a big man, a definite threat on 3 pointers, which can stretch the opposing defense. I also think that in time, he will jell better. I read that some are saying that by the playoffs, he actually might be starting.

It sounds like the Bucks met with and are the front runners to sign recently released (From the Bulls) and FA Goran Dragic. God, if they weren't already deep enough, Dragic brings a gritty, playoff experienced vet, that just adds more to an already deep and potent line-up.

Big game tonight against the 76'ers. I believe it is on ABC and ESPN2.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crowder does things you probably won't see show up on the stat sheets. He is considered a very good defender and for a big man, a definite threat on 3 pointers, which can stretch the opposing defense. I also think that in time, he will jell better. I read that some are saying that by the playoffs, he actually might be starting.

It sounds like the Bucks met with and are the front runners to sign recently released (From the Bulls) and FA Goran Dragic. God, if they weren't already deep enough, Dragic brings a gritty, playoff experienced vet, that just adds more to an already deep and potent line-up.

Big game tonight against the 76'ers. I believe it is on ABC and ESPN2.
Yes. It's on a major network tonight. A big game for both teams. It will give one or the other a leg up towards where they're heading.

I don't want them to sign Dragic to be honest. I'm satisfied watching Crowder develop into the lineup. I don't want to see the bench we have undermined by a new addition. I understand the reasoning is he can play the point. But, his game isn't good enough on offense to make him effective enough to afford time out there.

That said, next year, the Bucks need to get a really solid #2 PG to make this roster hum.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't want them to sign Dragic to be honest. I'm satisfied watching Crowder develop into the lineup.
I think Dragic definitely would be playing PG and I am more worried about taking minutes from Carter. They did that last year by going to George Hill too often. However, Carter has been much more consistent this season off the bench and really quite good. Given that, I view Dragic as an emergency 3rd PG and if Holiday or Carter are injured or sick, they have someone to step in. Both Holiday and Carter work really hard too, so giving them both a rest here and there isn't a bad idea either. I believe this is more of an eye towards the playoffs, which can be grueling and who knows, Dragic might be a better match up (than Carter) against one of the teams that they could face.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if signing Dragic is to allow them to dump Matthews? I certainly don't want Carter losing minutes. He's come a long way, and seems to be getting all the time.

They've developed much better chemistry than we saw a couple of years ago, when they won it all. I think they have a real good shot at winning it all this year as well.

What's a treat is seeing Giannis turn his season from a great one into a run at another potential MVP run. They keep winning, his name will climb to the top of the list.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It is official, the Bucks signed Goran Dragic.

Now to last nights game against the 76'ers. I put the loss squarely on Buds shoulders. I have no idea WTF he was doing in the 4th Q. Grayson Allen scores 20 points in the 3rd Q and doesn't see much playing time, nor the ball in the 4th Q. Meanwhile, Khris Middleton is stinking up the place, turning over the ball and missing shots! Also Bud, why was Bobby P. sitting on the bench for of the 2nd half?

I understand that Bud wants to whip Middleton back into his All Star form, but he should be playing in the first half and if he isn't playing well, rest him in the second half. The Bucks have a deep bench and I have to say, Bud blew it last night.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is official, the Bucks signed Goran Dragic.

Now to last nights game against the 76'ers. I put the loss squarely on Buds shoulders. I have no idea WTF he was doing in the 4th Q. Grayson Allen scores 20 points in the 3rd Q and doesn't see much playing time, nor the ball in the 4th Q. Meanwhile, Khris Middleton is stinking up the place, turning over the ball and missing shots! Also Bud, why was Bobby P. sitting on the bench for of the 2nd half?

I understand that Bud wants to whip Middleton back into his All Star form, but he should be playing in the first half and if he isn't playing well, rest him in the second half. The Bucks have a deep bench and I have to say, Bud blew it last night.

There was a audio of bud telling Bobby why he was on bench. Think he said Grayson was staying in?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There was a audio of bud telling Bobby why he was on bench. Think he said Grayson was staying in?
Yeah I remember hearing Bud saying something about Grayson staying in, but didn't know it was to Bobby. All I know is neither of them saw many, if any, minutes in the 4th Q. Meanwhile, Middleton is turning the ball over and not making shots and Ingles was meh. Tonight, Middleton isn't playing and Ingels has 11 points in 11 minutes. :roflmao:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are times that I lose all belief in Bud as a coach. I've watched him do exactly what he did against the 76ers often enough to believe that he's nothing more than the beneficiary of darned good talent, or his teams would flounder.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There are times that I lose all belief in Bud as a coach. I've watched him do exactly what he did against the 76ers often enough to believe that he's nothing more than the beneficiary of darned good talent, or his teams would flounder.
I have that feeling with most coaches and sometimes players for that matter. Hell, I can't tell you how many times I have gotten ticked off at Giannis for throwing up a wasted 3 point shot, or not passing when he is triple teamed. Don't get me started on his whole free throw routine and basically daring the refs to call a 10 second violation on him. Then I realize what a stud Giannis is and he is still going to make mistakes. Bud might be the same. The players seem to like him, whatever he is doing behind the scenes, it seems to work, but yeah, there are times he doesn't substitute how I would or challenge a play that I might, etc. Then again, he is an NBA head coach, with a championship ring and a consistently good team and I am just a fan. "Trust in Bud" is what I keep telling myself.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Great game last night. Beating up on someone was just what the doctor ordered, with Boston coming into town tonight (3/30, 6:30 PM CDT). With a win tonight, the Bucks magic number for home court advantage falls to 1 against the West's best, and wraps up the East home court for the playoffs. Both important issues this year, where the top teams are dominant at home.

In the West, the Nuggets and Grizzlies are 32-6 at home. In the East, the Celtics are 28-9. Also, the Bucks are 25-14 on the road, which is best among the top competitors, but only marginally.

I think this is a year where they can take another championship, assuming they can keep Giannis and the core players healthy.

It's an exciting year to be a Bucks fan. In comparing it to last year's team, I'd say this team is measurably better than last year's because of health, and a couple of additions, like Engels, who I think is a great addition. There is more depth.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Beating up on a team that less than 2 weeks ago, came into Milwaukee and beat the Bucks by 16.

It is a long season and as mad as I get (sometimes) when Bud sits key starters, I always need to remember, it is about getting a high seed and going into the playoffs with healthy players. So far, I think that is what he is doing and I have no doubts saying, a healthy Bucks team, can win a 7 game series with any team in the NBA. The depth of their bench is really going to help them too.

What a night by Jrue, but this Grayson Allen dunk was a thing of beauty!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game against the Celtics last night was not what I'd hoped to see. It showed me just how vulnerable the Bucks can be, and how they can fall apart against stiff competition. It didn't speak highly of neither the players nor Bud as a coach.

They had a chance to send a message last night, and sadly they did. They sent a message that they can be had.

Middleton will be leaving after this season. He has a player option on next year, and I doubt he'll go with it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The game against the Celtics last night was not what I'd hoped to see. It showed me just how vulnerable the Bucks can be, and how they can fall apart against stiff competition. It didn't speak highly of neither the players nor Bud as a coach.

They had a chance to send a message last night, and sadly they did. They sent a message that they can be had.

Middleton will be leaving after this season. He has a player option on next year, and I doubt he'll go with it.

I stopped watching about 5 minutes into the game, things just felt off for the Bucks. Figured I would check the score at halftime and if it was close, I would watch the second half. Obviously, I didn't watch it and I am glad.

I'm not going to get too excited about it, the Bucks played poorly, the Celtics didn't. As Giannis said after, the game showed what happens when you don't come out fighting. Thanasis, I guess did. :D

Do the Celtics scare me? Yeah, but they will have their off nights too. Bucks had a road game against Indiana on Wed, so I think that had something to do with it too.

I really wish they would stop scheduling back to backs, especially, when one of them is a road game. Had the Bucks been playing a powder puff last night, they probably would have sat Giannis and Jrue. Much like the NFL, the NBA is only worried about making more money. I listened to a talk show a few weeks ago about changes coming. The NBA wants to limit how much time players can sit out and still be paid as full time. LOL.....they want players to play a grueling 82 game season and then be ready for a grueling playoff stretch? Give me a break. Reduce the number of games in a season, that will make each game more important and motivate coaches to play starters more. I am amazed at how many players are injured, especially given that basketball isn't a contact sport. Then I think about the stress that playing all those games puts on their bodies, the injuries make more sense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bucks wrap up the East as well as the best record in the NBA. If they are in any Game 7's, they will be in Milwaukee.

The injuries to Grayson Allen (ankle) and Khris Middleton (knee) are a bit concerning, but hopefully by the time the playoffs start (4/15) both will be rested and ready to go. I doubt we see many starters get a lot of minutes in these last 2 regular season games.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucks are the oldest team in the NBA. It would be interesting to compare the average age of the top 10 players who play the most minutes to other "old" teams who have won a title. They will only go as far as Chris Middleton can take them. His production is super effecient despite playing about half the game. Without him last year in the playoffs, the Celtics were superior. The Bucks were exhausted by game 7. If the Bucks are 100%, they're the best team in the NBA. It will come down to whether the old guys can withstand the rigors of the playoffs. If key players are hurt, the extra minutes that the other old guys have to absorb will lead to running out of gas.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Bucks are the oldest team in the NBA. It would be interesting to compare the average age of the top 10 players who play the most minutes to other "old" teams who have won a title. They will only go as far as Chris Middleton can take them. His production is super effecient despite playing about half the game. Without him last year in the playoffs, the Celtics were superior. The Bucks were exhausted by game 7. If the Bucks are 100%, they're the best team in the NBA. It will come down to whether the old guys can withstand the rigors of the playoffs. If key players are hurt, the extra minutes that the other old guys have to absorb will lead to running out of gas.
Yup, they started the season with a roster that averaged an age of 29.47 years old. The youngest team, Oklahoma City Thunder @ an ave. age of 23.14. Honestly, that doesn't bother me that much, simply because of the quality of the depth of their roster. Some of the better teams are playing their starters for a lot more minutes than Bud plays his. I will have to look to see if I can find stats to support that. :)

As far as Middleton goes, yeah if he can get 20 ppg, the Bucks stand a much better chance of winning. However, the same goes for Lopez and Holiday. All 3 of those guys seem to have off nights and as long as 2 don't, the Bucks should be fine. I think the Celtics have the 2nd best team in the NBA, I wouldn't mind seeming them get knocked out before the Eastern finals, but I expect that they and the Bucks will go to at least 6 if not 7 games.

I like this team better than any of the teams of the past 3 years. Less deadwood and the top 11 guys on the team, are all capable of starting.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good analysis by all of you. The depth on this team is what makes it a better team than last year. They're old in the tooth by comparison to most teams, but what makes their age different is in the depth it offers. The big 3 aren't surrounded by untested players. It's experience, with age.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good analysis by all of you. The depth on this team is what makes it a better team than last year. They're old in the tooth by comparison to most teams, but what makes their age different is in the depth it offers. The big 3 aren't surrounded by untested players. It's experience, with age.
Agreed and actually, that 29.47 average age, I am sure is over 30 now. They added Crowder (32), Leonard (31) and Dragic (36) after the season started.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most teams don't surround their superstar with an old roster. We'll see how is comes out. If the Bucks run out of gas and get beat by the Celtics, then the experiment may have run its course and a major rebuild will be in order. If the Bucks age is too much to overcome, waiting another year with an even older team is likely to waste part of the limited opportunity the Bucks have for another championship with Giannis. The Bucks have depth but I still think they need a healthy Middleton to get them over the hump and win championship #2.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Most teams don't surround their superstar with an old roster. We'll see how is comes out. If the Bucks run out of gas and get beat by the Celtics, then the experiment may have run its course and a major rebuild will be in order. If the Bucks age is too much to overcome, waiting another year with an even older team is likely to waste part of the limited opportunity the Bucks have for another championship with Giannis. The Bucks have depth but I still think they need a healthy Middleton to get them over the hump and win championship #2.
I agree...look what happened last year

Members online

Latest posts