Bucks 2022-2023

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bucks are deep, but not deep enough to lose Giannis.
What an idiot I turned out to be. :roflmao:

After last nights game, I do think Bud is going to be thinking about resting Giannis for the rest of the series. The Bucks seemed like a different team last night. They were on fire, 25 made 3 pointers, tying a playoff record with the Cavs.

Obviously, you need and want Giannis back, but they seem to play a lot faster and dare I say better (sometimes) without Giannis. Bud and his staff really need to look hard and long at that, because this isn't the first time a Bucks team has scorched someone, with Giannis on the bench.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not certain they can win out against Miami without at least some input by Giannis. We have to weigh whether they're going to be flat without him, like in game one, or on a roll, like in game 2. The reality is, making 25 triples was a playoff record, and not something you can count on happening every game. Lord knows that the Bucks have had a lot of games that were clinkers, when relying on the 3.

I'm just not comfortable of them playing without him to be honest. Last night's game may have been the very best they could play without him, and the Heat may have played their worst game of the year. It's hard to tell to be honest.

I'm hoping he can be back on the floor for game 4, if necessary. We can't afford to go down 3-1, if the Heat wins game 3.

Going back to your comment about them scorching people. It brings up a question I've had for quite some time. Why can't they change gears mid-game? It seems like they need to take a beating when he goes out, then reset afterwards, and play well as a team. You'd think Bud and his staff could coach them up to play at the level they can, but it doesn't seem to happen.

Then there's the games with the big first half leads, squandering it in the second half, without Giannis, and being behind at the half, and making a late run that falls short. They need to keep the intensity out there for all four quarters.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not certain they can win out against Miami without at least some input by Giannis. We have to weigh whether they're going to be flat without him, like in game one, or on a roll, like in game 2. The reality is, making 25 triples was a playoff record, and not something you can count on happening every game. Lord knows that the Bucks have had a lot of games that were clinkers, when relying on the 3.

I'm just not comfortable of them playing without him to be honest. Last night's game may have been the very best they could play without him, and the Heat may have played their worst game of the year. It's hard to tell to be honest.

I'm hoping he can be back on the floor for game 4, if necessary. We can't afford to go down 3-1, if the Heat wins game 3.

Going back to your comment about them scorching people. It brings up a question I've had for quite some time. Why can't they change gears mid-game? It seems like they need to take a beating when he goes out, then reset afterwards, and play well as a team. You'd think Bud and his staff could coach them up to play at the level they can, but it doesn't seem to happen.

Then there's the games with the big first half leads, squandering it in the second half, without Giannis, and being behind at the half, and making a late run that falls short. They need to keep the intensity out there for all four quarters.
Yeah, while I don't follow other teams, the Bucks and their opponents, seem to be streaky from night to night and even half to half. Not sure why that is, but seems pretty common. The difference between game 1 and game 2 for both teams might lead one to believe that they just switched jerseys in between games. ;) How much of the inconsistency is on coaching and how much is on the players, I am not really sure. That said, from a limited memory bank, I think the Bucks play much better when they know before the game that Giannis is out, as compared to when he leaves a game due to an injury. Makes some sense though, you schemed for the game thinking Giannis is playing, then he leaves and you have to reshuffle your thoughts. I also think in a playoff game, when Giannis is lost, there is that mind game of "oh crap, we just lost our number one guy for who knows how long, we are doomed."

I also don't think that last night was just a fluke. It was exactly what a deep rostered team, with the best record in the NBA can do....destroy someone. Looking at the final score didn't tell the whole story either, the Bucks dominated the Heat, until the game was basically over. I have to admit though, when that 30+ point lead got below 20, I was a bit nervous.

I wonder if Bud ever thought about letting Giannis warm up before the game and insert him into a game after the first half, if it looked like they really needed him. Perhaps in a game 7, lose and you go home.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the team rallied because they didn't have Giannis. That motivation will wear thin - quickly.

Miami also played way beyond their abilities in Game 1. I don't expect to see that again. Giannis was a last minute scratch so he must have been close. I expect he will be back for game 3.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I actually agree with Barkley here (below). Losing Herro was a bigger blow to the Heat, than the Bucks losing Giannis, in this series. No doubt who the better player is, but the Bucks depth allows them to still play at a high level, I don't think the Heat has that luxury.

Duncan Robinson might be the key in the series for the Heat. The guy can shoot 3's lights out, unfortunately for him and the Heat, his defense, or lack of, was totally exposed the season after they gave Duncan a 5 year $90M contract. His playing time as a result of his poor defense totally dropped off a cliff. Now if they can figure out a way to stop the Bucks from scoring 75 points in the first half, Robinson might at least keep them (offensively) in a game.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Chuck is right. The difference in bench strength is exposed more with Herro out, than Giannis. The Bucks can insert guys to replace him on a short term basis, but like you mentioned, Herro plays both ends of the floor, and Duncan Robinson is pretty much a no-show when it comes to defense. I think that weighed heavily on the Bucks tying the NBA record on 3s in a game.

It is true. A lot of teams seem to lose it all when they lose a star player during a game. I'd think it would go the opposite way. To me, you lose a star, you suck it up, and do the opposite of what people expect. You play even harder, to offset the loss. You help the guys who will be subbed in, to raise their game. You can do it on the fly. Quite honestly, it's when that happens that players get a chance to really show what they've got, and for coaches to prove they really belong on the sidelines directing a team, because they can win with what they have under tough circumstances.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the team rallied because they didn't have Giannis. That motivation will wear thin - quickly.

Miami also played way beyond their abilities in Game 1. I don't expect to see that again. Giannis was a last minute scratch so he must have been close. I expect he will be back for game 3.
I suspect the team played like garbage after Giannis went down but rallied last night. I'm hoping by Sunday Giannis will be back in Miami.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I suspect the team played like garbage after Giannis went down but rallied last night. I'm hoping by Sunday Giannis will be back in Miami.
He will definitely be in Miami on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. ;)

Whether he plays or not, sounds like a pain management thing. It didn't sound like they were worried about him doing any damage, but not letting it rest, might just stretch out the period of recovery into the next series. Definitely a tough decision for Bud and the Bucks.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

... and then, he wasn't, and the Bucks didn't rally and once again, Miami played way beyond their abilities...and thus, another a-- kicking in the playoffs. You know, I hate to say it, bad ju-ju and all, but the Celtics it seems, never get their a-- kicked like that in the playoffs. The Heat just plain and simple give Milwaukee grief

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry guys! The Bucks are a horrible team without Giannis. They probably wouldn't be a playoff contender, but someone barely squeaking in, and probably not even that.

Bud's philosophy is shoot 3s, and if they go in, we can win. If they don't, keep shooting them until they do go in. Their only true threat to drive the lanes is Giannis, because when most of them do drive the lanes, the outlet passes aren't there, because the guys on the perimeter are frozen into "shooting positions," not locations where they can get the ball and create.

If Giannis isn't back for the next game, there's a good chance Miami will run them out of the playoffs in 5 or 6.

I still believe that a lot of the problems are in coaching. They need to explore opportunities more inside the ring, instead of living and dying on the 3s.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Guessing we see Giannis Monday night after that drubbing. I just don't understand how much of a Jekyll and Hyde this team can be from game to game. This isn't the first year of that either. Is that a problem with the coaches, players or maybe a bit of both. The Bucks came out flat and pretty much remained that way throughout the game. Some of the turnovers were just absolutely crazy, lazy, stupid. Bud is going to have to light a fire under these players just to get out of this series. What team will we see Monday night is anybody's guess.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Times have changed in the NBA. In the past, there were very few players who dictated what was done on the floor. Now it seems to be the normal. Coaches are more like cheerleaders now, and there to give "props" to their super stars. It makes me want to gag.

I watch Bud, on the sidelines, talking to players, and it's like he's saying; "Sir? Would you be so kind as to not turn the ball over for a little while now? It makes my ulcer act up." There's absolutely no insistence on his part that the players get their game in order. It's like he's begging them to protect his job, and if he doesn't kiss their ring, they'll do whatever it takes to make it impossible to coach there any longer.

I've always liked Darvin Ham as a coach. He seemed to be more forceful with the Bucks players. Now I watch him in LA, and when it comes to his big guns, he's acting very meekly, a lot like Bud. But, when it comes to guys off the bench, he's coaching them hard.

Players are dictating way to much of who will be the coaches, and what they'll do on the floor.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the point spread went from 6 to 7.5 in favor of the Bucks. Is Butler playing. If not that would be a sweet bet to dive into.
I wonder how long Giannis will play, if they get a healthy lead? I just hope they don't lay another egg like they have in games 1 & 3.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bucks look exhausted to me. It shows up in their poor defense right now. Jimmy Butler just destroyed them tonight. Getting whipped by an 8th seed is embarrassing. If the Heat end their season, it will be time to end the old-guy experiment in Milwaukee and trade the over 30 players. The fatigue shows up in the offense as well, but I think the 40 point a** kicking the Bucks took from the Celtics was a huge and ominous put down.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Bucks are tired, it's because they're soft, from getting way too much rest, when they should have been building stamina. I didn't think it was a good idea to reduce them to under 32 minutes a game like Bud did during the season. They weren't being tested, and pushed, to play longer periods of time. It obviously showed last night, when they were totally out of steam because the pace of the game stressed their personal limits.

That's a problem all on Bud, because he treated them with kid gloves. A good coach pushes players to challenge their limits, not protect them like they were Faberge eggs.

Does age play into this? It could, but in the case of the Bucks, I don't think that's the case as much as it would seem. It's all about building stamina to handle the playoff gruel.

I'm afraid they might be out before this round of the playoffs is over, and if it happens, Bud needs to be sent packing.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Bucks are tired, it's because they're soft, from getting way too much rest, when they should have been building stamina. I didn't think it was a good idea to reduce them to under 32 minutes a game like Bud did during the season. They weren't being tested, and pushed, to play longer periods of time. It obviously showed last night, when they were totally out of steam because the pace of the game stressed their personal limits.

That's a problem all on Bud, because he treated them with kid gloves. A good coach pushes players to challenge their limits, not protect them like they were Faberge eggs.

Does age play into this? It could, but in the case of the Bucks, I don't think that's the case as much as it would seem. It's all about building stamina to handle the playoff gruel.

I'm afraid they might be out before this round of the playoffs is over, and if it happens, Bud needs to be sent packing.
I agree about sending the HC packing, but a new coach would have an even older roster to manage. Let's face it, the Bucks front office took a very risky strategy when they decided to surround their star with the oldest team in the NBA. They won a single title but look to be totally out of gas. A major rebuild is probably unavoidable even if thet can manage to beat the Heat 3 games in a row. A rebuild will likely cost the Bucks the best remaining seasons in Giannis' career even if he decides to resign. The Bucks are between a rock and a hard place with virtually no draft picks and old players that won't bring much in trades. If the Bucks fall to an 8th seed, that debackle is the 800 pound gorilla in the room moving forward. The Bucks old roster can beat up on poor teams in the regular season but they aren't built to win in a lengthy post-season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LOL....I thought I had posted this last night, but will post it anyway.

I think Voyager was right, might be time to replace Bud. It's not just the age thing, these guys aren't playing well as a group or up to their potential. Poor shot selection, lackadaisical on D and for the minutes each is playing, out of shape.

Middleton can get out of his contract after this season, I wouldn't be that sad to see him go. He's way too inconsistent to be making $40M a year. I still like the core group of Giannis, Holiday and Lopez.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt about it, the Bucks roster is old. But, that's kind of deceiving. Here's a breakdown of why I say it. I'll start with a listing by age.

Dragic - 36
Matthews - 36
Lopez - 35
Ingles - 35
----------------------------
Holiday - 32
Crowder - 32
Leonard - 31
Middleton - 31
Thanasis - 30
Connaughton - 30
Portis - 28
Giannis - 28
Allen - 27
Carter - 27
Wigginton - 25
Green - 23
Beauchamp - 22

If you remove the players over 32 from the roster, the average age is down to 28.15. The only player who really is that important in that upper age group is Lopez, and he certainly doesn't play like he's anywhere close to hanging 'em up.

Now, look at the average age of the NBA rosters. You'll see that the teams who are highly competitive, are not in that lower 50% based on age. The competitive teams are in the 27.0 average age on up.

This is why I say that the problem is more about conditioning and coaching, than anything else. There's talent out there, it's just not being utilized. Being good on defense is fine, as long as you can still score enough to win, but when you exhaust yourself running around the court more than necessary on defense, to prove a point, you don't have anything left in the tank to run the offense. That's also one of the reasons I can't understand why the Bucks put up so many quick 3s when they cross the line to offense. They don't give themselves enough rest before they're back on defense again. We need to understand, it takes more out of you playing defense than it does offense. It's the same thing as football. You need to move more, because you're reacting to the opposition.

Home > Teams > Teams comparison

NBA teams average data for the current season​

Full roster 2022-23 season​

EQUIPONº JGALT (cm)PES (kg)EDEXSALAC
Oklahoma City Thunder15202.994.122.71.7$6.5M3.7
Detroit Pistons15200.9100.623.43.6$6.5M2.6
Orlando Magic15202.4101.523.73.1$6.6M2.7
Houston Rockets14199.999.523.92.9$3.8M3.4
Memphis Grizzlies15200.1101.624.13.0$8.2M3.7
Atlanta Hawks15199.297.924.43.1$10.0M3.5
Charlotte Hornets15199.994.524.43.3$7.0M2.7
San Antonio Spurs15200.698.724.53.1$4.8M2.7
Portland Trail Blazers17198.496.824.83.5$7.7M2.8
New York Knicks14198.798.925.64.4$10.5M3.1
Minnesota Timberwolves15199.697.425.74.9$9.5M2.7
New Orleans Pelicans15199.996.726.04.6$9.8M2.9
Sacramento Kings15200.497.626.15.0$8.8M2.3
Los Angeles Lakers14199.697.326.25.5$12.0M1.9
Toronto Raptors15201.298.526.34.9$9.6M2.3
Utah Jazz14202.2103.326.44.6$6.6M2.6
Indiana Pacers15199.496.126.54.3$7.6M2.8
Washington Wizards15200.794.726.53.9$9.0M2.5
Chicago Bulls15198.195.826.75.3$9.7M2.3
Brooklyn Nets15198.497.227.14.9$10.3M2.4
Cleveland Cavaliers15198.597.927.15.4$8.1M2.6
Denver Nuggets15201.299.727.36.5$10.7M2.9
Golden State Warriors15198.096.327.46.0$12.7M3.1
Philadelphia 76ers15200.1101.227.66.0$10.0M2.2
Boston Celtics15201.1102.028.06.3$11.8M2.6
Phoenix Suns15199.299.228.66.7$11.7M2.3
Miami Heat15200.4101.928.76.8$9.9M2.6
Dallas Mavericks15200.599.128.86.9$11.4M2.3
Los Angeles Clippers15199.395.829.07.6$12.8M2.6
Milwaukee Bucks15199.3101.430.78.4$12.0M2.2
(*) PL.- Number of players. HT.- Average height. WT.- Average weight. AG.- Average age. EX.- Average NBA seasons played. SAL.- Average salary. CY.- Average years under contract remaining.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No doubt about it, the Bucks roster is old. But, that's kind of deceiving. Here's a breakdown of why I say it. I'll start with a listing by age.

Dragic - 36
Matthews - 36
Lopez - 35
Ingles - 35
Holiday - 32
Crowder - 32
Leonard - 31
Middleton - 31
Thanasis - 30
Connaughton - 30
Portis - 28
Giannis - 28
Allen - 27
Carter - 27
Wigginton - 25
Green - 23
Beauchamp - 22

If you remove the players over 32 from the roster, the average age is down to 28.15. The only player who really is that important in that upper age group is Lopez, and he certainly doesn't play like he's anywhere close to hanging 'em up.

Now, look at the average age of the NBA rosters. You'll see that the teams who are highly competitive, are not in that lower 50% based on age. The competitive teams are in the 27.0 average age on up.

This is why I say that the problem is more about conditioning and coaching, than anything else. There's talent out there, it's just not being utilized. Being good on defense is fine, as long as you can still score enough to win, but when you exhaust yourself running around the court more than necessary on defense, to prove a point, you don't have anything left in the tank to run the offense. That's also one of the reasons I can't understand why the Bucks put up so many quick 3s when they cross the line to offense. They don't give themselves enough rest before they're back on defense again. We need to understand, it takes more out of you playing defense than it does offense. It's the same thing as football. You need to move more, because you're reacting to the opposition.

Home > Teams > Teams comparison

NBA teams average data for the current season​

Full roster 2022-23 season​

EQUIPONº JGALT (cm)PES (kg)EDEXSALAC
Oklahoma City Thunder15202.994.122.71.7$6.5M3.7
Detroit Pistons15200.9100.623.43.6$6.5M2.6
Orlando Magic15202.4101.523.73.1$6.6M2.7
Houston Rockets14199.999.523.92.9$3.8M3.4
Memphis Grizzlies15200.1101.624.13.0$8.2M3.7
Atlanta Hawks15199.297.924.43.1$10.0M3.5
Charlotte Hornets15199.994.524.43.3$7.0M2.7
San Antonio Spurs15200.698.724.53.1$4.8M2.7
Portland Trail Blazers17198.496.824.83.5$7.7M2.8
New York Knicks14198.798.925.64.4$10.5M3.1
Minnesota Timberwolves15199.697.425.74.9$9.5M2.7
New Orleans Pelicans15199.996.726.04.6$9.8M2.9
Sacramento Kings15200.497.626.15.0$8.8M2.3
Los Angeles Lakers14199.697.326.25.5$12.0M1.9
Toronto Raptors15201.298.526.34.9$9.6M2.3
Utah Jazz14202.2103.326.44.6$6.6M2.6
Indiana Pacers15199.496.126.54.3$7.6M2.8
Washington Wizards15200.794.726.53.9$9.0M2.5
Chicago Bulls15198.195.826.75.3$9.7M2.3
Brooklyn Nets15198.497.227.14.9$10.3M2.4
Cleveland Cavaliers15198.597.927.15.4$8.1M2.6
Denver Nuggets15201.299.727.36.5$10.7M2.9
Golden State Warriors15198.096.327.46.0$12.7M3.1
Philadelphia 76ers15200.1101.227.66.0$10.0M2.2
Boston Celtics15201.1102.028.06.3$11.8M2.6
Phoenix Suns15199.299.228.66.7$11.7M2.3
Miami Heat15200.4101.928.76.8$9.9M2.6
Dallas Mavericks15200.599.128.86.9$11.4M2.3
Los Angeles Clippers15199.395.829.07.6$12.8M2.6
Milwaukee Bucks15199.3101.430.78.4$12.0M2.2
(*) PL.- Number of players. HT.- Average height. WT.- Average weight. AG.- Average age. EX.- Average NBA seasons played. SAL.- Average salary. CY.- Average years under contract remaining.
Good post and the whole "average age of the team" thing is kind of meaningless, unless you do what you did and that is to factor in playing time.

Last night the Bucks starters all played more minutes than I am used to seeing them play.

- Giannis: 38
- Middleton: 37
- Holiday: 41
- Lopez: 39
- Allen: 33

So now the kicker. Even with that deep bench that Bud has, he only subbed in 3 guys (Portis, PC and Inges). Meanwhile, the Heat are short handed and they went 10 deep and spread out their minutes.

That is a big coaching blunder on Bud's part, especially given that for a good portion of the game, the Bucks had the lead. The Heat are a very physical team and they set a ton of single and double screens, the Bucks starters were cashed and because of how critical this game was to win, Bud just sat and watched the Heat drain the life out of them.

Final thing. Totally agree with you on the 3 point thing. The Bucks offense seems disorganized compared to what the Heat runs. Too many bad decisions on shot selection and ending up taking shots that they shouldn't have. The Bucks have way too much talent to do that.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post and the whole "average age of the team" thing is kind of meaningless, unless you do what you did and that is to factor in playing time.

Last night the Bucks starters all played more minutes than I am used to seeing them play.

- Giannis: 38
- Middleton: 37
- Holiday: 41
- Lopez: 39
- Allen: 33

So now the kicker. Even with that deep bench that Bud has, he only subbed in 3 guys (Portis, PC and Inges). Meanwhile, the Heat are short handed and they went 10 deep and spread out their minutes.

That is a big coaching blunder on Bud's part, especially given that for a good portion of the game, the Bucks had the lead. The Heat are a very physical team and they set a ton of single and double screens, the Bucks starters were cashed and because of how critical this game was to win, Bud just sat and watched the Heat drain the life out of them.

Final thing. Totally agree with you on the 3 point thing. The Bucks offense seems disorganized compared to what the Heat runs. Too many bad decisions on shot selection and ending up taking shots that they shouldn't have. The Bucks have way too much talent to do that.
By George, I think you got it! there are things coaches can, and can't do. Bud misses the boat on totally too many things you have to do, to win in the playoffs. When players get used to playing about 30 minutes, or a little less, giving them an extra 10 minutes on the floor in a playoff game can be tough for them. Especially when they exhaust as much energy as they do, playing defense.

Don't get me wrong. Bud has them playing solid defense. It's just that his teams can't translate it into better offense, because his scheming lacks discipline. Most of what we see, that's creative, is on the players, who are doing it on their own. How can you tell that? Because you don't see the creative actions repeating themselves.

Last night, at the end of the 3rd quarter, I knew the Bucks were going to lose. You could see they were totally gassed, and Bud wasn't dipping into his reserves, to give them a chance to get fresh legs. We ended up getting outscored 41 -25 in the 4th quarter to lose it. This is strictly on Bud. Had he used some of his younger players, at points earlier in the game, when the Heat was doing deep dives into their roster, he could have created match ups that would have given the top players a chance to recover. Looking at the minutes played, the Bucks subs logged 52 player minutes, and the Heat logged 100. Four Bucks starters logged from 37-41 minutes each, and the only player over 30, for the Heat, was Butler. Like I said. They were dead before the 4th quarter started, and it's on Bud for his inability to use his roster effectively.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bud needs to go. Even if they come back and end up winning the whole thing, he should be sent packing. It wouldn't be because of his sideline genius that they won, it would be in spite of his poor coaching. As the writer indicated, about watching that lead evaporate, without calling a time-out fits right into what I said about them being gassed. Bud wasn't smart enough to recognize it, and get them a breather with a time out, and slowing the game down.

The Heat diagnosed how the Bucks were playing defense, and if you watch it closely, found that the Bucks were failing to cover the lanes, which gave Butler huge avenues to make moves on Holiday.

Holiday and Butler both played 41 minutes, high for both teams. But, Butler half the time rested on defense, and played against lesser players, giving them long range shots, and just giving them token defense. He conserved energy.

When Holiday wasn't on Butler, he was forced to track down guys who were sharpshooters on the outside, and were moving around the perimeter. He was constantly on the run. Bud did nothing to relieve that pressure, because he didn't use guys on his bench who could have acted as rabbits out there to cover those guys.

What Milwaukee needs to do is find a coach who believes in the Phil Jackson triangle offense. With the players the Bucks have, it would work perfectly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At least the Celtics are struggling a bit with the Hawks. Gives the Bucks a bit of time to "catch up".

F'ing NBATV is carrying the game again tonight. I have YouTubeTV and NBATV is part of the package, yet they black out the Bucks games. Explain that garbage!

Latest posts