Breaking Packers sign Smith

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
From the Green Bay PG : The Green Bay Packers have agreed to a contract with safety Anthony Smith, an NFL source said today.

Smith, 25, played for Pittsburgh the past three years.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THis is a good FA move. Whenever you have Charlie Peprah actually playin you know you need some more Safety depth.. nice pickup TT

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I like it if for nothing else than some depth. Who knows if Bigby will manage to stay healthy this year. At least if he gets hurt this year we won't have to move Woodson to safety.

Also, he better not make any guarentees while in Green Bay. That didn't work out so well last time. Lol.

RyanMegaphors

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know. I guess I'm not sold Bigby is the answer. He's not that good against the pass, can be stupid...and a lot of his INTs really fell into his face...it wasn't like an amazing break on the ball...typically it was an overthrown ball. A Charles Woodson and Nick Collins INT is much differnet than a Bigby one. He can intimidate some from going short...but I dunno. I like Rouse better than Bigby personally...he just needs to "get it" still...it took Collins 3 years, maybe Rouse comes around. Having that size at safety is a nice luxury. He can be a ball hawk sometimes too. I'll probably like this guy better than Bigby too.

I'm not sold on Grant at all either. Or Hawk. Those 3 are suspect starters to me on the team...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RyanMegaphors said:
I dont know. I guess I'm not sold Bigby is the answer. He's not that good against the pass, can be stupid...and a lot of his INTs really fell into his face...it wasn't like an amazing break on the ball...typically it was an overthrown ball. A Charles Woodson and Nick Collins INT is much differnet than a Bigby one. He can intimidate some from going short...but I dunno. I like Rouse better than Bigby personally...he just needs to "get it" still...it took Collins 3 years, maybe Rouse comes around. Having that size at safety is a nice luxury. He can be a ball hawk sometimes too. I'll probably like this guy better than Bigby too.

I'm not sold on Grant at all either. Or Hawk. Those 3 are suspect starters to me on the team...
I totally agree with you. But in my opinion we can win with them. But with Jolly on our D-line and Poppinga at linebacker, it's difficult.

I say if those three you mentioned don't improve in 2 years, we need to replace them. But we have more worries. Anthony Smith is a good sign, but we need more at other positions.

GreenBayCracker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, at least we know they aren't being held hostage over at Packers head office and this is probably a safe signing..

BUT, it seems for the most part after guys win the superbowl or any championship trophy for that matter and get signed to a different team, its almost like they aren't as hungry as the year before. I would like to be proven wrong though. Just my opinion.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith didn't play much last year though, so he's very hungry. I'm hoping he's an improvement over Bigby.

jaybirdknows

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good move. It adds depth and athleticism. Does anyone know if Smith excels on special teams? That would be a bonus as well.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know about that, but Perry was DB coach in Pittsburg in 06 when Smith played there, so I'm guessing he asked for the guy. Now he's our safeties coach, so that can only be good, right?

A. Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
Don't know about that, but Perry was DB coach in Pittsburg in 06 when Smith played there, so I'm guessing he asked for the guy. Now he's our safeties coach, so that can only be good, right?

yea, that sounds REALLY good... now we can have some better coverage (not that we didn't already have great coverage)

uwcheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A. Rodgers said:
PackersRS said:

yea, that sounds REALLY good... now we can have some better coverage (not that we didn't already have great coverage)

Sorry to burst the bubble...but as a long-time Steelers fan...Smith is a bust. Great athlete, just has a 10 cent head. Oh yeah...he us terrible on special teams.

Staff online

Latest posts