Bears Game Matters...Titans not so much...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's been too much hype for too long about Lawrence. Anything short of Tom Brady-like performance will be deemed a failure. And aside from that, I think a better QB will emerge from this draft. I've only seen him play a few times, but I like the Notre Dame guy, Ian Book.

Before we made the move on Love, I had GB pegged as a decent landing spot for a guy like Ian. He isn't a runner, but 100% can and is above average when needed. He has a smart arm, but not the biggest arm. Where he ends up is what will control what happens, he is 100% a guy with the proper system could 100% make it work and succeed after learning a few years.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before we made the move on Love, I had GB pegged as a decent landing spot for a guy like Ian. He isn't a runner, but 100% can and is above average when needed. He has a smart arm, but not the biggest arm. Where he ends up is what will control what happens, he is 100% a guy with the proper system could 100% make it work and succeed after learning a few years.
That was my impression - above average athlete, not a running QB but good enough to pick up a first down here and there, and clearly a very intelligent guy. He'll need to learn the NFL game, but I'd rather have him sitting on the GB bench than Love. But who knows? Trying to figure out how college QBs will perform at the NFL level is a fool's errand. Just ask the Bears!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed Ty. Sunday's game with the Titans is about showing that GB can run with the big dogs. W or L won't affect seeding much, that's the Chicago game, but a W against the Titans on national TV would be a HUGE confidence booster and also shut up some critics.
This is not necessarily true at all. A win over the Titans and a Ram’s win guarantees the 1 seed and would make the Bears game irrelevant (other than potentially letting the Bears in as well).

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not necessarily true at all. A win over the Titans and a Ram’s win guarantees the 1 seed and would make the Bears game irrelevant (other than potentially letting the Bears in as well).

Again the point of the Titans game not mattering is winning it doesn't guarantee anything, we depend on others to get us the #1seed. A win against the Bears is the only "solely controlled by us" way to #1 seed.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again the point of the Titans game not mattering is winning it doesn't guarantee anything, we depend on others to get us the #1seed. A win against the Bears is the only "solely controlled by us" way to #1 seed.
Perhaps you should read what I was responding to.. I’m glad you feel the way you do about it.... that’s your right.... but since I was responding to somebody that literally wrote “the Titans game won’t affect seeding much” I’m fine with my answer since it actually very well might.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but should we lose to the Bears on purpose Week 17? With the Cardinals loss, if the Bears beat Jacksonville and us, they're in as the 7th seed. I'm not scared of Trubisky and Da Bears AT ALL. If they could eliminate say, the Rams/Seahawks/Saints in the Wildcard round, they do the dirty work for us, and then we obliterate them in the Divisional for an NFC Conference Championship Game AT LAMBEAU.

Chess not checkers gentlemen.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but should we lose to the Bears on purpose Week 17? With the Cardinals loss, if the Bears beat Jacksonville and us, they're in as the 7th seed. I'm not scared of Trubisky and Da Bears AT ALL. If they could eliminate say, the Rams/Seahawks/Saints in the Wildcard round, they do the dirty work for us, and then we obliterate them in the Divisional for an NFC Conference Championship Game AT LAMBEAU.

Chess not checkers gentlemen.
Or Rodgers turns an ankle in that Divisional game that we’d rather not have to even play and...

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m sure you can’t be serious so i’ll just give that a funny.

I assumed you made a typo and meant to say Division game(for Week 17) because we have to play in the Divisional round no matter what, and it doesn't get any easier than possibly facing the Bears at home. Otherwise we're looking at playing a more problematic opponent.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assumed you made a typo and meant to say Division game(for Week 17) because we have to play in the Divisional round no matter what, and it doesn't get any easier than possibly facing the Bears at home. Otherwise we're looking at playing a more problematic opponent.
you are correct about the game nomenclature.... but I think my point was clear... We certainly don’t want to play an additional game risking injury or even a loss if we don’t have to.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you are correct about the game nomenclature.... but I think my point was clear... We certainly don’t want to play an additional game risking injury or even a loss if we don’t have to.

What I'm saying is, if we beat the Titans and the Seahawks lose to the Rams this week then the Saints don't matter we own the tiebreaker. We can rest Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Williams, Tonyan, Lazard and whoever Pettine can afford to spare on Defense.

Personally, I think the Packers kinda owe us the opportunity to see Love and Dillon play a full game against a team that is going to play 60 minutes; or if they're not comfortable with Love let Boyle play so we can get some trade value out of him during the 21 Draft/Preseason. Let Jace play every snap at TE with Lewis backing him up. They kinda also can see what they have in Sullivan and Hollman as possible fulltime "starters" in 2021 behind Jaire. Let Keke, Garvin, Lancaster, Barnes, Martin, Summers, Redmond, Scott, Black, etc play some real snaps to see what they've learned along the way because for the Bears Week 17 is pretty much a playoff game.

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have to win out or hope the SheHawks drop a game. How is this hard?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not true. We need only beat the Bears and we get #1 seed due to tie breakers with whomever could tie us record wise.
Also a true statement. We will know tomorrow night.... either we will need to beat the Bears or not.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

The Seahag-Ram game will be just getting over before the Packers take the field tomorrow night. If the Rams won the game, the Packers will be playing tomorrow night to lock up the #1 seed.

There you go, our destiny would be in our hands at that point. :)

Win both of their remaining games and the Packers (and fans) never had to scoreboard watch in the first place.

The Bears also control their own destiny after the Cardinal loss today. IF they win out, they are in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

We now have 14 Division Champs since 1990, so it is off on that by 2.

Generally speaking, it accurately depicts just how Superior the Packers have been in the North over the last 30 years. :tup:

For the record, technically the NFC North didn't exist until 2002 when the latest realignment happened and the Bucs were moved out of the division.

Since then the Packers have won 11 out of a possible 19 division championships with the Bears and Vikings having won four each.

There's been too much hype for too long about Lawrence. Anything short of Tom Brady-like performance will be deemed a failure. And aside from that, I think a better QB will emerge from this draft. I've only seen him play a few times, but I like the Notre Dame guy, Ian Book.

Book is considered to be a late round pick at best. I highly doubt he will end up developing into a better quarterback than Lawrence.

Again the point of the Titans game not mattering is winning it doesn't guarantee anything, we depend on others to get us the #1seed.

It's possible that by kickoff the Packers can clinch the #1 seed in the NFC by beating the Titans though.

What I'm saying is, if we beat the Titans and the Seahawks lose to the Rams this week then the Saints don't matter we own the tiebreaker. We can rest Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Williams, Tonyan, Lazard and whoever Pettine can afford to spare on Defense.

You should have mentioned it in the first place thar you were talking about losing to the Bears if the Packers have already secured the #1 seed.

I wouldn't mind resting some starters vs. the Bears in that scenario but would still like the Packers to play for the win.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, maybe we won't have to win but we still get the by. I don't like resting too much. Maybe the 2nd half. It has not worked out for us in the past. Other teams seemed to have problems after resting also.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For the record, technically the NFC North didn't exist until 2002 when the latest realignment happened and the Bucs were moved out of the division.

Good point. For the first 20 or so years of the Bucs being in the "Central Division" they were doormats. It wasn't until Dungy and then Gruden that they actually got consistently good and started fielding winning teams. Probably a good thing the North kicked them out in 2001 because I think they won the SB the next season? :D

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, maybe we won't have to win but we still get the by. I don't like resting too much. Maybe the 2nd half. It has not worked out for us in the past. Other teams seemed to have problems after resting also.

It's possible some starters end up being rusty after having two weeks off but I would hate to lose one of the top players to an injury in a meaningless game.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Allow me to introduce you to my friend Mr. Timothy Kevin Boyle....

And my other friend, Mr. Jordan Alexander Love....
If the Packers decide to sit Rodgers in week 17, Boyle should absolutely be the starter. He's the true backup, and if God forbid Rodgers were to go down in the playoffs, Boyle would come in having at least some actual in game snaps under his belt.

I'd love to see Love in a meaningless week 17 game. But he isn't good enough to be the backup this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers decide to sit Rodgers in week 17, Boyle should absolutely be the starter. He's the true backup, and if God forbid Rodgers were to go down in the playoffs, Boyle would come in having at least some actual in game snaps under his belt.

I'd love to see Love in a meaningless week 17 game. But he isn't good enough to be the backup this year.

I gave you an agree and feel the #1 reason you play Boyle for pretty much the ENTIRE length of a meaningless game is to get him much needed real time meaningful game reps, just in case we need him in the ensuing games. Throwing Love in there, who is obviously still learning, wouldn't prove to be that helpful for the current team. Now if you just wanted to see what Love could do, maybe throw him in for a series or 2 in the final Q.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. If they get the bye, as looks likely, they'll get a week off anyway. "Resting" guys in the last regular season game is a good way to stop or slow momentum. At worst, play the starters for the first half, and then give it to the JV for the second half.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not true. We need only beat the Bears and we get #1 seed due to tie breakers with whomever could tie us record wise.
Ty is that true for the Hags? If GB and Seattle each finish 12-4, who gets the tiebreaker? Thanks.

Members online

Latest posts