Bears Game Matters...Titans not so much...

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do find it interesting that some people aren't opposed to sitting starters once they have a comfortable lead in a game or if the the playoff position is locked up. How long do you want to see Rodgers play against the Bears if they have the #1 seed locked up? Would you sit him if it meant a higher probability of losing that game?

Too early to speculate on this approach. Gotta see what happens vs Tenn first, and then see what happens between the Seahawks and Rams. I would say ... even if we beat Tenn and effectively locked up the #1 seed, the starters should still play at least one half so they aren't heading into the playoffs completely cold. But after that, they should probably be taken out to get mentally ready for the playoffs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would say ... even if we beat Tenn and effectively locked up the #1 seed, the starters should still play at least one half so they aren't heading into the playoffs completely cold. But after that, they should probably be taken out to get mentally ready for the playoffs.

Right, but that would be counter intuitive to some who feel that you need to win every game. As much as I like a Packer win, there are more important things to me than just a tick in the win column.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will never know. Maybe Packers trade the pick to a QB hungry team and still have 5 more years of mediocrity or get a cache of picks in the trade and are SB bound without Favre? :)

I'm not trying to sway how you or anyone feels about those final games of the year and can see advantages to taking different approaches or a combination of. I'm not shy in saying that if I was a GM of a team in desperate need of a QB and Trevor Lawrence was within my reach, I would not feel one bit of remorse clearing my bench for that final game.

BTW....no using "all those fans who paid good money for their tickets to see a game" as an excuse THIS year! :roflmao:

I do find it interesting that some people aren't opposed to sitting starters once they have a comfortable lead in a game or if the the playoff position is locked up. How long do you want to see Rodgers play against the Bears if they have the #1 seed locked up? Would you sit him if it meant a higher probability of losing that game?

That's the whole thing all of what we have been talking about is a maybe. A win is a sure thing. I'm not really a gambler on things where I don't have some sort of say.

All those years you mentioned and asked who went winless I know the Bucs were one of them and the Lions and Browns but the thing is even if I didn't know it would be because I am not a fan of those teams so I don't really care. I'm pretty sure most Packer fans would remember if they were one of them. I'm just thankful they weren't even though they would have gotten better draft picks.

Sitting players with a lead is different since the game is for the most part won. You are trying to protect your starters not lose the game for a better draft pick. Sitting them when you are behind with no real chance of winning is also different because as before you already presumably tried to win but it just didn't work out. Sitting them is again protecting them not trying to lose

For the record I don't agree with resting healthy starters if playoff seeding can't be improved. They don't neccessarily have to play an entire game but the team prepares for that game like any other. If the Packers have the #1seed sewn up in week 17 I hope all the starters start and play untill we are so far ahead or, God forbid, behind that it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another way to look at it is if we beat the Titans and the Rams beat the Seahawks we clinch number one seed

Yeah if Seattle loses then the Titans game matters big time. If Seattle wins, it really doesn't matter in terms of getting the 1 seed. They'd have to win in Chicago next week to guarantee the one seed with a Seahawk victory this week.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but that would be counter intuitive to some who feel that you need to win every game. As much as I like a Packer win, there are more important things to me than just a tick in the win column.

Especially when once you have the seeding locked up, you plan for the elimination games that matter more.

I feel like this opposition to the rest the starters approach here is driven by a misconception that back in 2011 our benching Rodgers and the starters was what caused the loss to the nyg. I call ridiculous on that.

Plus, it's too late to try for 16-0, and what's happened with Pittsburgh now running out of gas is often the fate of undefeated or 15-1 teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also protecting my star players from potential major injuries would be a factor. I don't view one season and one win as being more important than the big picture and future seasons.

That doesn't apply to the Jets as they don't have any star players though :roflmao:

Maybe not but it begs the question just what the heck do you do for a living :)

;) It took me less than a minute to figure it out.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't have faith in the Rams beating anyone anymore they lost to the freaking............... JETS!??!?!??!

I can because this is the kind of whack league we have.

Rams are just a crazy team. They beat the Seahawks, Cards, Bucs, Bears, and kicked the Patriots butts. But somehow they found a way to lose to the JV 49ers team and the Jets.

But if the Seahawks can lose to the NYG at home, they can lose to the Rams too.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We control our own destiny home field advantage wise, BUT I thought we were just one win away...nope.

IF we end up only with matching records with New Orleans yes, but if Seattle wins out and we split...folks we could fall to the #3 seed still:

Pulled that quote from https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/packers-path-1

So it would appear, this Tennessee game is irrelevant in any situation with SEA should Seattle end up with four losses as well...

Seattle has the Rams at home this next week, and then finish the year at the 49ers. Not the easiest road to 12-4, BUT not the hardest either.

Just win them both.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
The Titans game may not be needed as much as the Bears game with respect to locking up the #1 seed but I think the Titans game is important to how well the Packers do in the playoffs. If the defense can't slow/contain Henry and he has a big game I think that failure it is going to carry into the playoffs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Titans game may not be needed as much as the Bears game with respect to locking up the #1 seed but I think the Titans game is important to how well the Packers do in the playoffs. If the defense can't slow/contain Henry and he has a big game I think that failure it is going to carry into the playoffs.

I think we are going to see back to back games of very good tests for the Packers. As you said, the Titans game is going to test our Defenses ability to stop a pretty potent offense. The Bears game, which I believe the Bears will be suiting up for their playoff lives in, will test the Packer offense against a pretty solid Defense. Unless he gets hurt tomorrow, Bears will have Akiem Hicks, a guy that missed the first meeting and I believe a real difference maker for their D. Turd Biscuit has also had a chance to shake a bit of the rust off since our first meeting.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
In view of the fact that the Vikings couldn't provide ANY comfort yesterday by knocking off the Saints -- I'd say both games are important. #1 - for no reason other than they're the Bears and I don't want to be hearing from my wife's uncle ... even though the Bears stink, he'll smear it in my face. #2 - The Titan game IS important solely because the Packers have not performed well against good teams...or even semi-good teams (read: Bucs) ... they got the Saints early on, but that's it. If the Pack allow themselves to get smoked by the Titans, I'll just settle in and enjoy the North Division Championship hat I'm wearing right now (which doesn't have a year on it - so the NFL is stating that Green Bay simply owns the North in perpetuity) and wait for the darned shoe to drop.

Incidentally, I've texted pictures of the hat to all of the Viking fans and Bears fans I know so that they can see what they look like this year. I heartily recommend everyone else do likewise because it's that 'giving' time of year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Incidentally, I've texted pictures of the hat to all of the Viking fans and Bears fans I know so that they can see what they look like this year. I heartily recommend everyone else do likewise because it's that 'giving' time of year.

Why stop at just the North Titles? Can send them this too:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

or this, although its a year old, needs to be updated.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
or this, although its a year old, needs to be updated.

Division champs total is more than 1 year short. So this is more than a year out of date. Unless seasons that teams needed a tie breaker weren't factored in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Division champs total is more than 1 year short. So this is more than a year out of date. Unless seasons that teams needed a tie breaker weren't factored in.

Could be, someone posted it online last year, which means they may have not updated it either. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Total games vs Packers seems close. All add up to 60 but I don't know how many playoff games were included there.

We now have 14 Division Champs since 1990, so it is off on that by 2.

Also, does not include the Playoff win against the Seahawks. Given those 2 things are off, I assume this was made at some point during the 2019 season? Or just by a fan that didn't have great math skills. :D

Generally speaking, it accurately depicts just how Superior the Packers have been in the North over the last 30 years. :tup:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is only irrelevant when it comes to getting #1 seed for sure. Lot of other items at play to prove. Honestly, we need to make it a last possession game or win - I'd hate losing a close game but it would be a solid sign of we belong with the good teams.
Agreed Ty. Sunday's game with the Titans is about showing that GB can run with the big dogs. W or L won't affect seeding much, that's the Chicago game, but a W against the Titans on national TV would be a HUGE confidence booster and also shut up some critics.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm calling that Trevor Lawrence dude the biggest QB bust in NFL history coming up.
There's been too much hype for too long about Lawrence. Anything short of Tom Brady-like performance will be deemed a failure. And aside from that, I think a better QB will emerge from this draft. I've only seen him play a few times, but I like the Notre Dame guy, Ian Book.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Speaking of "Ty" anyone see Ty Montgomery play yesterday for the Saints?

Not too sorry that the Packers let him "get away" from us. :roflmao:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of "Ty" anyone see Ty Montgomery play yesterday for the Saints?

Not too sorry that the Packers let him "get away" from us. :roflmao:
What does he do for the Saints, other than kick returns? He'll be somewhere else next year, or out of the league. Too bad really. He had some promise to play multiple positions. In GB, his anger got the better of him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What does he do for the Saints, other than kick returns? He'll be somewhere else next year, or out of the league. Too bad really. He had some promise to play multiple positions. In GB, his anger got the better of him.

He returned 2 kicks, 28.5 average, which is decent.

Other than that he saw 16 snaps on offense, had only 1 target (o catches), he totally MVS'd his one catchable pass.

Members online

Latest posts