Bears Game Matters...Titans not so much...

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I added the word "stupid" ;) Nobody has ever accused the Jets organization of being smart.

The media is lit about the "win" and I am sure Jaguar fans are rejoicing.

The Jets can't even win at losing! - Stephen A. & Max react to the Rams' upset | First Take - YouTube

Rich Eisen is a huge Jets fan, so this one was pretty hilarious.

“I Need Therapy” - Rich Eisen Reacts to the Jets Win & Possibly Losing Trevor Lawrence | 12/21/20 - YouTube

Nothing against Trevor Lawrence but I hope he is a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf and whoever the Jets get is a 15 year all pro for them and leads them to multiple Super Bowls...Where the proceed to lose to the Jordan Love (or Aaron Rodgers) led Packers of course.

D

Deleted member 6794

What I disagree with is this: If this defense can do to Henry what it did to Barry Sanders in '94 (7 rushes -2 yards) it would be a statement game and a confidence builder, AND it would scare the holy hell out of every other team in the league who has to go to Lambeau in January, and or face them in the Superbowl.

I'm not optimistic about the defense's chances to hold Henry to minus-2 yards on a single run on Sunday ;)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not optimistic about the defense's chances to hold Henry to minus-2 yards on a single run on Sunday ;)

I'm thinking that there will be at least 1 run where Henry loses at least 2 yards and I'm hoping it is a big one.

I was sitting around Sunday afternoon watching the red zone with my brother in law and my nephews, all of whom are in my fantasy league, and we were discussing one's chance of winning given that the guy he plays has Henry. The guy without him says "he's playing the Packers. He'll probably have 350 yards and 6 TDs" They all looked at me (they are Bears fans) and the only thing I could come back with was "there is no way he has over 300 yards"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nothing against Trevor Lawrence but I hope he is a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf and whoever the Jets get is a 15 year all pro for them and leads them to multiple Super Bowls

Trevor has been talked about for 3 years now and I think he is the real deal. Never a sure thing in the NFL, but if the Packers had a shot at him, I would be fully on board.

I'm calling that Trevor Lawrence dude the biggest QB bust in NFL history coming up.

Maybe tongue in cheek, maybe not? If not, why do you think that? Just curious.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
keeping him under a 100 would be a miracle. that said the Packers need to go ball-control (poker) and keep the Ten O off the field as much as possible. it's as simple as that. whatever's working, be it the run or short pass, they need to stick with it...unlike last game. take shots but do it situations that don't compromise getting first downs. sustain drives!!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trevor has been talked about for 3 years now and I think he is the real deal. Never a sure thing in the NFL, but if the Packers had a shot at him, I would be fully on board.

I'm not saying I think he will be a bust because like you said everything points to him being the real deal.

The reason I hope he busts is for all those who think the Jets lost by beating the Rams. If the Packers were in the same position I'd rather be 1-15 with the second pick than 0-16 with Lawrence.

I'd love to be able to say to those people "it's too bad you didn't get Trevor Lawrence"

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason I hope he busts is for all those who think the Jets lost by beating the Rams. If the Packers were in the same position I'd rather be 1-15 with the second pick than 0-16 with Lawrence.
That's because we have Love.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers were in the same position I'd rather be 1-15 with the second pick than 0-16 with Lawrence.

I have to ask, Why? How does 1-15 improve your team moving forward?

More than likely, nobody will ever remember that win by the Jets (in a positive way), especially if it ends up costing them the #1 pick and Lawrence is the success most have predicted he would be since he came out of HS. Obviously, if Lawrence is a bust and the Jets pick someone at #2 that is great, then the win will go down as the best win ever for the organization. I just don't see Lawrence busting out.

Case in point, as Poppa referred to. Packer fans are still talking about that win over the Cardinals that cost the Packers the #1 pick in the 1989 draft. Cowboys got Aikman, we got Mandarich, the rest is history. I remember the game as one of the "dumbest" wins in franchise history, not as a "good" win.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

More than likely, nobody will ever remember that win by the Jets (in a positive way), especially if it ends up costing them the #1 pick and Lawrence is the success most have predicted he would be since he came out of HS. Obviously, if Lawrence is a bust and the Jets pick someone at #2 that is great, then the win will go down as the best win ever for the organization. I just don't see Lawrence busting out.

Case in point, as Poppa referred to. Packer fans are still talking about that win over the Cardinals that cost the Packers the #1 pick in the 1989 draft. Cowboys got Aikman, we got Mandarich, the rest is history. I remember the game as one of the "dumbest" wins in franchise history, not as a "good" win.
I get what you are saying... but people do remember 0-16 teams 1-15 not so much.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm thinking that there will be at least 1 run where Henry loses at least 2 yards and I'm hoping it is a big one.

Henry has been tackled for a loss of at least two yards on only 14 of his 321 rushing attempts.

I'm not sure the Packers defense is capable of adding to that number.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many forget "You play to win the game" not draft position. In general people who are always positioning themselves, spend a life positioning themselves. Looking for the right moment, playing the odds wondering why things keep happening to them. Those who do their best, no matter the circumstances seem to fair better in the long run. If I'm a new HC hire for the NFL and I have the choice between a team that layed down the end of the year or one that scrapped together every play they could, because they wanted to win, i'm going to choose the latter every single time.

Just the time you play for a draft pick, you "win" by losing and then your draft pick busts. Maybe not, but people who make the best of whatever circumstance they may find themselves in are the people I want to be around. I would never discount the effect winning can have on confidence and how confidence can change a team.

and yes, the Cowboys got Aikman, they also traded Herschel Walker that got them players like Emmitt, Woodson and Russell maryland the next year. There's a lot that went into building that dynasty. Maybe GB throws the game, gets Aikman, but no other pieces and we spend the last 30 years just like the previous 30 where 8-8 was great success.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I get what you are saying... but people do remember 0-16 teams 1-15 not so much.

I don't know about that and getting Trevor Lawrence would soften the blow for me. Can you tell me what teams went winless in the following years, without looking it up. ')
Many of us have had this conversation for the last several seasons. While I see peoples desire and motivations for winning a single game at the end of a losing season, I'm still fine with giving younger players valuable reps and putting them into real NFL game situations to prepare them for what I hope to be a better year next year. Also protecting my star players from potential major injuries would be a factor. I don't view one season and one win as being more important than the big picture and future seasons. If that includes higher draft pick in 7 rounds, so be it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I understand the arguments I just don't agree with them. Like I said each fan has their own way. There is no right or wrong.

I guess the simplest way to put it is that a win is a guarantee while a draft pick is not.

Drafting Aikman doesn't gurantee us a SB but I will go out on a limb and say it does guarantee no Favre and no Rodgers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henry has been tackled for a loss of at least two yards on only 14 of his 321 rushing attempts.

I'm not sure the Packers defense is capable of adding to that number.

Maybe not but it begs the question just what the heck do you do for a living :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about that and getting Trevor Lawrence would soften the blow for me. Can you tell me what teams went winless in the following years, without looking it up. ')
Many of us have had this conversation for the last several seasons. While I see peoples desire and motivations for winning a single game at the end of a losing season, I'm still fine with giving younger players valuable reps and putting them into real NFL game situations to prepare them for what I hope to be a better year next year. Also protecting my star players from potential major injuries would be a factor. I don't view one season and one win as being more important than the big picture and future seasons. If that includes higher draft pick in 7 rounds, so be it.

I don't have an issue with playing young players to evaluate them either. Nor do I have a problem with a team like the Panthers not playing McCaffrey in the next two weeks to avoid further serious injury. In fact I would openly implore them NOT to play him this week. That's not the same as not trying to win a game.

You are not going to tell your rookie QB who drives the team down to the 10 yard line with a 2nd and 1 with 3 seconds left in week 17 with a chance to win your first game of the year to call a fullback dive to get the first down. You are going to try for the TD and the win even if it screws up your chances to get the #1 pick. A lot if fans would be pissed at such as call.

That's not to say losing would not have its benefits and having that #1 pick as an option would soften the blow. Its just not how I choose to root for my team. You can root for them in any way you see fit. No judgement from me.

Did I mention I hope the Panthers don't risk further injury to McCaffrey. It would be stupid for them to play him in an effort to win when it could cost them draft position.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many forget "You play to win the game" not draft position. In general people who are always positioning themselves, spend a life positioning themselves. Looking for the right moment, playing the odds wondering why things keep happening to them. Those who do their best, no matter the circumstances seem to fair better in the long run. If I'm a new HC hire for the NFL and I have the choice between a team that layed down the end of the year or one that scrapped together every play they could, because they wanted to win, i'm going to choose the latter every single time.

Just the time you play for a draft pick, you "win" by losing and then your draft pick busts. Maybe not, but people who make the best of whatever circumstance they may find themselves in are the people I want to be around. I would never discount the effect winning can have on confidence and how confidence can change a team.

and yes, the Cowboys got Aikman, they also traded Herschel Walker that got them players like Emmitt, Woodson and Russell maryland the next year. There's a lot that went into building that dynasty. Maybe GB throws the game, gets Aikman, but no other pieces and we spend the last 30 years just like the previous 30 where 8-8 was great success.

What he said !

Barry Sanders sure helped the Lions fill that trophy case didn't he.

Although I will say that fan's opinions are often very different from team member's opinions

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because he's faced zero adversity pretty much playing in a garbage conference with pretty much no good defenses all year. He obviously couldn't beat the best SEC team in LSU last year, and if he goes to the Jets or Jags, he's going to get buried quicker than quick.

Dude doesn't have half the skills of Burrow, Mayfield, or even previous busts like Manziel.

He's an overrated junk bond QB who is going to crash and burn in one year. Trust me whichever team drafts him will drop him as quick as the Cardinals did Josh Rosen.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Drafting Aikman doesn't gurantee us a SB but I will go out on a limb and say it does guarantee no Favre and no Rodgers.

We will never know. Maybe Packers trade the pick to a QB hungry team and still have 5 more years of mediocrity or get a cache of picks in the trade and are SB bound without Favre? :)

I'm not trying to sway how you or anyone feels about those final games of the year and can see advantages to taking different approaches or a combination of. I'm not shy in saying that if I was a GM of a team in desperate need of a QB and Trevor Lawrence was within my reach, I would not feel one bit of remorse clearing my bench for that final game.

BTW....no using "all those fans who paid good money for their tickets to see a game" as an excuse THIS year! :roflmao:

I do find it interesting that some people aren't opposed to sitting starters once they have a comfortable lead in a game or if the the playoff position is locked up. How long do you want to see Rodgers play against the Bears if they have the #1 seed locked up? Would you sit him if it meant a higher probability of losing that game?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Because he's faced zero adversity pretty much playing in a garbage conference with pretty much no good defenses all year. He obviously couldn't beat the best SEC team in LSU last year, and if he goes to the Jets or Jags, he's going to get buried quicker than quick.

Dude doesn't have half the skills of Burrow, Mayfield, or even previous busts like Manziel.

He's an overrated junk bond QB who is going to crash and burn in one year. Trust me whichever team drafts him will drop him as quick as the Cardinals did Josh Rosen.

I hope you forgive me if I listen to the experts on this one. ;)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manziel had NUMEROUS experts saying he was not a 1st round QB
Burrow I believe last year was the concensus best QB and nearly EVERYONE said worthy of first pick.
Baker...was very split on opinions amongst experts.

Lawrence has been on experts panels before even his 2020 season. Forgive me if I give zero faith in the concept that EVERYONE has the opinion of him wrong. If he was getting mixed reviews like Baker did or Manziel did or JaMarcus Russel did or even to a lesser degree Griffin got (he had some critical of his play style).

Lawrence is a passer that also can run. Pocket awareness is very high, football IQ is very high.

All that said, I prefer Trask over Lawrence depending on the system in place at the team picking. Trask is straight NASTY good.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As I imagine most will, so yes.

But ... I know where I'm putting my money on this one lol

Yes, your anecdotal words might be how he is introduced in Canton in 20 or so years :D

"Dude doesn't have half the skills of Burrow, Mayfield, or even previous busts like Manziel. He's an overrated junk bond QB who is going to crash and burn in one year. Trust me whichever team drafts him will drop him as quick as the Cardinals did Josh Rosen."

Members online

Latest posts