Be afraid. Be at least a little afraid.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last winter when the schedule came out and we saw St.Louis on the Packers' Week 3 game most of us probably smiled as he put a "W" by that one; right after the "W" we expected to hang on the Cincinnati game at Lambeau in Week 2. Well, we didn't get that "W" in Game 2 and I'm not so sure we'll get it this week either the way the Packers are playing in the first two weeks of the season. Their offensive line and safety areas are in crisis or very close to it. The running game is stuck, the passing attack is out of sync, there's nothing special about our special teams and there's questions about whether our defensive front seven can stop the run and pressure the opposition qb. Now the Packers go on the road to a dome game, on artificial turf; a setting in which they've traditionally struggled. The Rams are coming off a close loss at Washington last week; similarly the Bengals came to Green Bay off a close loss the previous week, as well. It's the home opener for the Rams and the regular season debut there of their rookie head coach Steve Spagnuolo. The same Spagnuolo who 21 month ago, as def. coordinator of the Giants, designed and executed a stopping defense that denied the Packers their first Super Bowl appearance in 10 years in the NFC Championship Game at Green Bay. The same Spagnuolo who worked for years in Philadelphia under the late Jim Johnson in one of the defenses that has most given the Packers fits for years. The Bengals' Cedric Benson gashed the Packers for 140 yds. on the ground last Sunday. St.Louis' elite back Steven Jackson should be capable of doing at least that, if the Packers play that way again. The Rams averaged 6 yds. per carry last week against the stout Redskins defense on the road. St.Louis has 2 first round draft picks, including a number one overall, on its d-line. The way Packers tackles have made Antwan Odom and Adawale Ogunleye look like Reggie White and Bruce Smith the past 2 games there could be a big day coming for Chris Long, Adam Carriker, Leonard Little, Victor Adenyanju and Clifton Ryan who are the Rams' defensive front. Marc Bulger is a former Pro Bowl qb who has declined due to injuries and playing with poor teams in recent years. Say, didn't they say something similar last week about Carson Palmer? Last week the Bengals sat their first round draft pick Andre Smith due to injury but a shuffled line-up still handled the Packers' defensive front. This week the Rams will sit their first round draft pick Jason Smith but don't think what the Rams have left may not surprise as well. Several former Packers are on the Rams roster now and may like to make some plays just to give the Pack second thoughts about giving up on them. WR Ruvell Martin, S Anthony Smith, LB Paris Lenon, RB Samkon Gado may have a little revenge incentive to play with. St.Louis may be 0-2 but are feeling better about their winlessness at this point than the Packers should about their 1-1. They were statistically dominated in Washington last week but never let the Redskins cross the goal line and lost by only 2 points. The Packers were lucky they didn't lose by an even bigger margin than 7. This game can no longer be treated as a presumptive "W" for the Packers. They are going to have to play better than they have in either game this season so far. Much better. Like about a hundred percent better.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI space up your sentences it is very hard to read..

But just glancing at it, you mentioned what Spag has done in the past vs the Pack

This is very true, but tell me, the player son the Giants and the players on the eagles during those times...Are you SERIOUSLY going to say the Rams D players are as good as those previous two teams?

you can have all the same coaches but if you dont have the players it will not work

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
With our O-line trouble and our D exposed last week I don't think there is ANY game on our schedule we can pencil in a W. This is going to be an interesting game to watch. I agree with a lot of your comments.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last winter when the schedule came out and we saw St.Louis on the Packers' Week 3 game most of us probably smiled as he put a "W" by that one; right after the "W" we expected to hang on the Cincinnati game at Lambeau in Week 2. Well, we didn't get that "W" in Game 2 and I'm not so sure we'll get it this week either the way the Packers are playing in the first two weeks of the season.

Their offensive line and safety areas are in crisis or very close to it. The running game is stuck, the passing attack is out of sync, there's nothing special about our special teams and there's questions about whether our defensive front seven can stop the run and pressure the opposition qb. Now the Packers go on the road to a dome game, on artificial turf; a setting in which they've traditionally struggled.

The Rams are coming off a close loss at Washington last week; similarly the Bengals came to Green Bay off a close loss the previous week, as well. It's the home opener for the Rams and the regular season debut there of their rookie head coach Steve Spagnuolo. The same Spagnuolo who 21 month ago, as def. coordinator of the Giants, designed and executed a stopping defense that denied the Packers their first Super Bowl appearance in 10 years in the NFC Championship Game at Green Bay. The same Spagnuolo who worked for years in Philadelphia under the late Jim Johnson in one of the defenses that has most given the Packers fits for years.

The Bengals' Cedric Benson gashed the Packers for 140 yds. on the ground last Sunday. St.Louis' elite back Steven Jackson should be capable of doing at least that, if the Packers play that way again. The Rams averaged 6 yds. per carry last week against the stout Redskins defense on the road. St.Louis has 2 first round draft picks, including a number one overall, on its d-line.

The way Packers tackles have made Antwan Odom and Adawale Ogunleye look like Reggie White and Bruce Smith the past 2 games there could be a big day coming for Chris Long, Adam Carriker, Leonard Little, Victor Adenyanju and Clifton Ryan who are the Rams' defensive front.

Marc Bulger is a former Pro Bowl qb who has declined due to injuries and playing with poor teams in recent years. Say, didn't they say something similar last week about Carson Palmer? Last week the Bengals sat their first round draft pick Andre Smith due to injury but a shuffled line-up still handled the Packers' defensive front. This week the Rams will sit their first round draft pick Jason Smith but don't think what the Rams have left may not surprise as well. Several former Packers are on the Rams roster now and may like to make some plays just to give the Pack second thoughts about giving up on them.

WR Ruvell Martin, S Anthony Smith, LB Paris Lenon, RB Samkon Gado may have a little revenge incentive to play with. St.Louis may be 0-2 but are feeling better about their winlessness at this point than the Packers should about their 1-1. They were statistically dominated in Washington last week but never let the Redskins cross the goal line and lost by only 2 points.

The Packers were lucky they didn't lose by an even bigger margin than 7. This game can no longer be treated as a presumptive "W" for the Packers. They are going to have to play better than they have in either game this season so far. Much better. Like about a hundred percent better.

There that should be a little better for everyone otherwise it is looking like a screen door.

The biggest thing to worry about for the Pack will be Steven Jackson. They are already penciling him in to have a HUGE fantasy points day. In my league i think they have him at 17 points which is the highest or in the top 5.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
After last week, every game scares the living heck out of me. Even the one against the Rams, and even the ones against the Lions.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After last week, every game scares the living heck out of me. Even the one against the Rams, and even the ones against the Lions.
The Lions game could be very scary because they have an awesome WR named Calvin Johnson who has the size and playmaking abilities of an elite NFL WR but he happens to be on a terrible team. I want to see who they have lined up on him for the game because if it Al Harris game over man. Just have to think back to when he had to cover mr. burress.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks a lot bad93ex!
-
About the original post, I have the same concerns, Packerlifer. But if we intend to go anywhere this season, next game ought to be a W. Or else, we're going to start 1-3 in the season, and then it's over, considering our late schedule is much tougher than the early. However, a win sunday and then a W in MNF against the queens, then suddenly things are back to normal.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks a lot bad93ex!
-
About the original post, I have the same concerns, Packerlifer. But if we intend to go anywhere this season, next game ought to be a W. Or else, we're going to start 1-3 in the season, and then it's over, considering our late schedule is much tougher than the early. However, a win sunday and then a W in MNF against the queens, then suddenly things are back to normal.
If they pull out a win in the Dome then they are the faves for the NFC North for sure and possibly for the NFC Championship but one game at a time.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Hell, I think the Pack should take it one quarter at a time. This team better not make any long term plans except beating the guy in front of you each and every snap.

Latest posts