Assessing the Final 53(ish) Roster

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Now that it's mostly set, let's talk about the quality of the roster by position.

Quarterback: A+ Rodgers has a legitimate case as the best QB in the game today and one of the greatest of all time. Behind him, Hundley isn't perfect but seems to be improving and has some athleticism that makes him a bit of a wildcard should he ever get in a game. He may not ever draw the 2nd round pick that fans would love in a trade (though he still might), but he's a lot better than most teams' backups.

Running Back: INC. Even after training camp and preseason, there's really no way to grade this backfield accurately. Montgomery looks tantalizing but still needs to prove he can get it done as the lead back for a full season. Williams showed a good 3rd down skill set, but doesn't look special as a runner. Jones may have something in his explosive and compact frame, but we have to see against more than 2nd/3rd string defenses to find out.

Wide Receiver: A The Packers are about as strong at the top and as deep throughout as anyone in the league. While Nelson might not be the absolute elite player that Antonio Brown or Julio Jones are, he's right in that next tier. Every indication is that Adams has built on his great 2016 season. Cobb, while it's often pointed out that he's overpaid, is about as good as it can get for a WR3. All three players down the depth chart are young and had some encouraging moments in preseason.

Tight End: A- The Packers haven't had a player of Bennett's well-rounded ability level in recent memory. Kendricks is one of the best 2nd TE's in the league. Rodgers is one of the best 3rd TE's in the league. While their starter might not be comparable to the elites like Gronk or Kelce, the quality here down to the 3rd spot is pretty remarkable.

Offensive Line: B The starting unit looks capable of picking up where they left off last year. Taylor seems to have taken another step forward, while every indication is that Evans will be a very strong bridge to whoever the future proves to be at RG. The depth, however, is suspect. Spriggs is talented but unfinished and not ready to play. Barclay is injured. Patrick and McCray are fringe roster guys. Murphy is the only one who seems like he might (note: might) be able to provide adequate play this year if called on. This league is starved for quality OL play, and few teams have a starting lineup as strong at the Packers, but the fact remains that injuries could be very problematic.

Defensive Line: B+ Mike Daniels has looked as beastly as ever this preseason, and it would seem that the young guys have taken steps in the right direction. Clark and Lowry have looked better than they did as rookies by a decent margin. To balance out the youth, Jean-Francois and Dial represent stable, if not spectacular, veteran depth. That they've been so careful to keep Adams off IR (to the point of releasing both Price and Ringo) indicates to me that they're really excited about his potential and ability to help relatively soon. I really like this group and in the scenario that the defense actually improves I would envision it being the heart of that improvement.

Edge: C- Nick Perry and Clay Matthews are fine as starters, but they're high risk when it comes to injuries. Behind them, Fackrell hasn't shown improvement to this point. Brooks is a solid backup and was a wise pickup, but he's aging and shouldn't be viewed as some sort of savior. Odom is a total unknown. Further complicating the problem, this is a spot where, even when healthy, the starters should ideally play about 60-70% of the time. That leaves a lot of snaps to be filled by some questionable players. An injury or two could take this group down in a hurry.

Off-LOS Linebacker: C This group strikes me as the definition of average. Ryan and Martinez are solid enough as MIKE type players. Neither have the range or ball skills you want in coverage, but they can play the run and make secure tackles. Thomas has a bit more of that WILL type of skill set. The total lack of depth here is clearly to be augmented by the safeties.

Cornerback: C- I think the depth here is actually pretty strong-- the issue is that it remains unclear whether there are worthy starters that can hold up against strong competition. A healthy House is an upgrade over what the team had last year after Shields went down, and it looked to me like Rollins and Randall were much better players having gotten past their injuries. However, everyone is still taking turns being nicked up, including rookie Kevin King who, while athletic in the extreme, demonstrated that he's still raw in preseason. Hawkins and Pipkins have some ability and have flashed, but they're still very young and inconsistent. This group's realistic goals for 2017 are health and a climb back up to mediocrity. If they can get to average, the play of the front 7 and safeties could help boost the defense overall into an above average category.

Safety: A They miss out on the "+" as they lack a true elite at the position, but Clinton-Dix is a great second tier safety. Burnett has developed into a really good hybrid player next to him, and Jones looks like a souped up version of the same type of player (albeit in development). Brice has demonstrated some rare abilities for a UDFA type of player, and Marwin Evans would be in the mix for playing time on a lot of clubs. This is a great group that will hopefully cover up some of the sins of the corners.

Special Teams: B+ Kicker Mason Crosby is one of the best. Vogel will have good moments and terrible ones. They will have to deal with the inevitable growing pains. Goode's reliability will help both of them, though you still have to contend with his inability to help much in punt coverage, which is why he wasn't on the roster to start camp. Janis/Davis should be solid options in the return game, and the team also returns many good ST rank and file guys, such as Fackrell and Evans. I don't expect ST to cost the Packers too much in 2017, and it may well be a weapon at times.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good analysis. I hope our corners can be better than c- but have never had a lot of faith in House. King is so important. Hope he catches on fast. The way Randall played in preseason; I think he could be the best bet at left corner.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would argue edge is better than a c just because perry was definitely above average last year and Matthews is average to above average and I doubt there a ton of backups better than brooks. Now after that it gets shaky but that is enough for a b to me.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would argue edge is better than a c just because perry was definitely above average last year and Matthews is average to above average and I doubt there a ton of backups better than brooks. Now after that it gets shaky but that is enough for a b to me.

We'll see. If Perry and Matthews were durable, I'd be inclined to agree with you. As it is, I think there's going to have to be a lot of reliance on unproven guys like Fackrell and Odom (and maybe Gilbert eventually). That's not ideal.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our CBs will be A- after couple of games. King and crew will find their bearings with the help with our LBs aggressive pressure on the QBs while getting help from our great safeties. And I have a feeling that our RBs will be B- after Seattle's game! Ty will set the stage for the young guys and they will follow suit. As I have said before Jamaal will be our #1 back. Him and Ty will be a force of reckoning(wait....does that make sense?)!

King is not going to disappoint! There is a lot of talent in the guy. He just has to get over the jitters and once he settles down and knows how to read his opponents he will be one of the greatest CBs in the history of football.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our CBs will be A- after couple of games. King and crew will find their bearings with the help with our LBs aggressive pressure on the QBs while getting help from our great safeties. And I have a feeling that our RBs will be B- after Seattle's game! Ty will set the stage for the young guys and they will follow suit. As I have said before Jamaal will be our #1 back. Him and Ty will be a force of reckoning(wait....does that make sense?)!

King is not going to disappoint! There is a lot of talent in the guy. He just has to get over the jitters and once he settles down and knows how to read his opponents he will be one of the greatest CBs in the history of football.
I sincerely hope you are 100% correct... but fear that may be a tad optimistic lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I hope you didn't cut and paste that from an old forum thread and change Randall's name to King. ;)

I too hope that King turns into the shutdown CB the Packers need. However, I have to say, I was a bit disappointed in what I saw in the preseason, but he is only a rookie. Anyone read that TJ Watt is starting on Sunday? :coffee:

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Once I got into the second paragraph, I couldn't tell whether or not this was satirical.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once I got into the second paragraph, I couldn't tell whether or not this was satirical.

all serious, jack! You know this forum needs some positivityty! These big guys do have feelings. I can't sleep at night knowing I just hurt these guys' feelings by saying something bad and they go run to their beds with their faces in the pillows and cry to sleep. lets give these guys some good vibes by saying something nice and they will go out there and give 110% for us fans. Even just a, "hey, randall, I love that color of your shirt!" could go a long way. pay it forward!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
all serious, jack! You know this forum needs some positivityty! These big guys do have feelings. I can't sleep at night knowing I just hurt these guys' feelings by saying something bad and they go run to their beds with their faces in the pillows and cry to sleep. lets give these guys some good vibes by saying something nice and they will go out there and give 110% for us fans. Even just a, "hey, randall, I love that color of your shirt!" could go a long way. pay it forward!

I don't think my son and his teammates even read this stuff! :coffee:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think my son and his teammates even read this stuff! :coffee:

oh trust me there are many things you don't know about your son and his teammates. just sit down and talk to him for once. he will let you know how he really feels. :D

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see. If Perry and Matthews were durable, I'd be inclined to agree with you. As it is, I think there's going to have to be a lot of reliance on unproven guys like Fackrell and Odom (and maybe Gilbert eventually). That's not ideal.

Perry missed two games last year. If he even matches those numbers then fackrell and Odom will mainly be rotation snaps not huge numbers

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we can only hope clay and perry stay healthy. as much as I like ryan and martinez we do need clay and perry. with the addition of safety jones' I think they will have much better pressure than what they had previous years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Had TT gone out and signed Brooks (or a similar caliber player) during the Spring Free Agency period, I would have been ecstatic. I think it just finally hit me today that we might have a legit 3rd OLB in Brooks. Couple that with the eventual growth of Biegel and Odom and this OLB group could be in good shape.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are good with IL and OL depth as of right now. If perry and clay and ryan and martinez stay healthy, with the addition of brook and biegel, they should put a lot of pressure on the qb and d line. brooks being a 3-4 OLB he should fit right in to give some rotation. with the addition to our D line with some veteran blood I think they are hungry for a ring before they retire! especially francois!

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

King played pretty darn well after getting beat and then stiff armed early in game 1.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question, if there is no significant injury this week, and Allison comes back week two, do we have to cut a player? I'm guessing yes, can it be a practice squad player and move a rookie or young player from the 53 to the PS?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Question, if there is no significant injury this week, and Allison comes back week two, do we have to cut a player? I'm guessing yes, can it be a practice squad player and move a rookie or young player from the 53 to the PS?

Yes....sort of.

A player will have to be cut or IR'd from the 53 to make room for Allison. That player, if he clears waivers, can be signed (player must agree to it) to the Packer PS.

I could see them IR'ing the rookie Adams to make room for Allison.

Reaction score
I think we are good with IL and OL depth as of right now. If perry and clay and ryan and martinez stay healthy
The point of quality depth is that they're there if your top guys don't stay healthy. We aren't quite as bad as we were, but we certainly aren't good.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This team is stacked. I suppose someone could point to Kyler Frackrell but it's hard to pick at this roster.

Capers better get it done.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd give the rb's a C+ rating. they're average to slightly above at this point.

i'd rather see reggie gilbert on the 53 rather than fackrell.

i also see brooks playing a lot. may not start but i don't really consider him a back up.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

How do we have any sense of that from the RB's though? We're darn near playing 4 rookies. They could be an A or an F or anything in between.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

if we are going based on preseason I would have given them an overall grade of D-. May is the only one that brought the grade up to a D. I hope they will do much better in the regular season. Especially my pick Jamaal!