Assessing the Final 53(ish) Roster

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do we have any sense of that from the RB's though? We're darn near playing 4 rookies. They could be an A or an F or anything in between.

monty was good last year. 5.9 yards/carry. saved the season. he'll only be better this year. like mm said...his "development is over." the others will do what most back up rb's will do. i don't expect 5.9 from him this year because that's unrealistic but he'll be fine.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers can win without a running game, but just think how much better that offense would be if the defense actually had to worry about and respect a running game! I'm cautiously optimistic that if TT found at least one gem in the 3 rookies, they will be a nice compliment to Monty and give us an average to above average run game. But let's face, we live or die by AR's brain, feet and arm.

Reaction score
Packers can win without a running game, but just think how much better that offense would be if the defense actually had to worry about and respect a running game! I'm cautiously optimistic that if TT found at least one gem in the 3 rookies, they will be a nice compliment to Monty and give us an average to above average run game. But let's face, we live or die by AR's brain, feet and arm.
Yes, we can win without a running game. We can win without a defense. We can even win without a running game and without a defense, but we can't do it for long and we can't do it in the playoffs. We need one, the other, or both to be more than the sum of their parts this year and I'm not sure how likely that is going to be.

Reaction score
This team is stacked. I suppose someone could point to Kyler Frackrell but it's hard to pick at this roster.

Capers better get it done.
I find it difficult to express the extent to which I disagree with your assessment of our roster.

Strongly. I strongly disagree.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

which will be similar to Dallas minus one of the greatest receivers(dez), however, we could offset that with having one of the greatest QBs. I will take one of the greatest QB with a good receiving corp over an inexperienced QB with a great receiving corp. Oddly enough bleachreport has our receiving corp at number 6 and dallas at number 10.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This team is stacked. I suppose someone could point to Kyler Frackrell but it's hard to pick at this roster.

Capers better get it done.
I actually tend to agree with that, when you compare our roster to previous Packer rosters as well as the other 31 teams rosters. While we all want to be 3 Pro Bowl players deep at every position, we never will be. The overall experience and depth of this roster could play out as one of the best in quite awhile.

My only big concern is the OL....starting 5...we are "stacked"......beyond that.....we could be a dumpster fire.

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talent is there. You got two no.1's, two no.2's and some nice UDFA prospects. It's on Capers now.

Talent was there last year but they just couldn't get it done. Hopefully, this time around with our rookies they will find the chemistry that will get them doing what they are supposed to.

Damn...waiting for Sunday is killing me!

Reaction score
Pretty good analysis overall I enjoyed reading that.
I'm in agreement overall, but the one area I think we will be surprised (as the season progresses) is at OLB. We now have Ahmad Brooks on one side backing up Perry and he has been the model of consistent play. Also, while Vince is not a factor to start the year, I think very soon we will see why he was disruptive enough at WI to award him the first pick in round 4 of this years draft. Chris Odom is an unknown at this juncture, but I believe he will give Beigel a run for his money and one of these two will eventually step into a lead roll as a formidable Edge player off the bench.
Any other team in this league at a C- grade or worse at OLB would love to have Clay, Perry and Brooks. Especially with guys with upside like Biegel and Odom eventually fighting for that last role. I'd start this rating at C+ with an upside to get to B+ if things go in the right direction.

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
monty was good last year. 5.9 yards/carry. saved the season. he'll only be better this year. like mm said...his "development is over." the others will do what most back up rb's will do. i don't expect 5.9 from him this year because that's unrealistic but he'll be fine.

There is an article on ESPN Packers...sorry don't know how to do the link thingy. Anyway it talks about Ty working out with Peterson in the offseason. Sounds like he is putting in a lot of work to be a capable RB. Sure hope it pays off.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Talent is there. You got two no.1's, two no.2's and some nice UDFA prospects. It's on Capers now.
Not trying to play devil's advocate, because I agree the CB position is stronger this year as opposed to last, but who are the two proven #1's on our roster? I'm cautiously optimistic about that group because of the talent, and added experience levels for many. But there isn't a single CB on our roster that has proven to be #1 quality at this point in each of their respective careers.

Now perhaps two will emerge throughout the season and become #1 quality, but I've seen nothing to suggest that as of this point.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

That's fine. I just feel that when you're talking about four guys with a combined 80 NFL rushing attempts, you can't even make a good guess at what you have. I am optimistic about Montgomery, but I wasn't basing these blurbs on optimism.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not trying to play devil's advocate, because I agree the CB position is stronger this year as opposed to last, but who are the two proven #1's on our roster? I'm cautiously optimistic about that group because of the talent, and added experience levels for many. But there isn't a single CB on our roster that has proven to be #1 quality at this point in each of their respective careers.

Now perhaps two will emerge throughout the season and become #1 quality, but I've seen nothing to suggest that as of this point.

I meant no.1 and no.2 draft picks. They were evaluated as top talent.

A lot has been invested in this secondary.

Reaction score
this post seems somewhat self contradictory. Personally, I think he's due for a regression towards the mean. He could be pretty good if health stays up, but if our line fails to stay healthy he could be due for a very mediocre year.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I meant no.1 and no.2 draft picks. They were evaluated as top talent.

A lot has been invested in this secondary.
I misinterpreted.

There's no question a lot has been invested in that secondary. Hopefully it all comes to fruition, but until it does, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. Right now I think they will be improved over last season, in that this defense probably would have been able to pick up another couple of stops in that Atlanta game, which theoretically would have given us a better shot to win.

So if the defense is better, lets say they improve to 15th overall in total defense or so, assuming reasonable health on the offensive side, I believe that could be enough. But if the offense gets hit with a few injuries to key position players, 15th overall isn't going to be enough to win a SB, IMO.

I guess what I'm really getting at is I don't think this defense is top 10 quality and if the offense isn't clicking on all cylinders, for one reason or another, we're going to be in some trouble again.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I misinterpreted.

There's no question a lot has been invested in that secondary. Hopefully it all comes to fruition, but until it does, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. Right now I think they will be improved over last season, in that this defense probably would have been able to pick up another couple of stops in that Atlanta game, which theoretically would have given us a better shot to win.

So if the defense is better, lets say they improve to 15th overall in total defense or so, assuming reasonable health on the offensive side, I believe that could be enough. But if the offense gets hit with a few injuries to key position players, 15th overall isn't going to be enough to win a SB, IMO.

I guess what I'm really getting at is I don't think this defense is top 10 quality and if the offense isn't clicking on all cylinders, for one reason or another, we're going to be in some trouble again.

We shall see. I think if they can get a bye and home field they can go the distance. Health is a big factor like always. I like what Thompson has put together.

When you consider comp picks coming next year, draft capital with Hundley trade and current cap situation now and heading into next season I like where the roster is at. I'm expecting big things from the offense. If the defense can be top 15 like you posted I think they win the whole thing.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Rollins and Randall were evaluated as 2nd round safeties, not #1 and #2 CBs.

Rollins was never viewed as a safety. It was widely reported before the draft that some teams projected Randall to safety and some to corner. Most draft outlets rated him as a late 1st, early 2nd round prospect before the draft.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We shall see. I think if they can get a bye and home field they can go the distance. Health is a big factor like always. I like what Thompson has put together.

When you consider comp picks coming next year, draft capital with Hundley trade and current cap situation now and heading into next season I like where the roster is at. I'm expecting big things from the offense. If the defense can be top 15 like you posted I think they win the whole thing.
Agree with everything here. The only caveat being if the offense suffers some injuries I think it could derail the team quickly with a middle of the pack defense. But all being said, this team has the potential to be very special.

Reaction score
Agree with everything here. The only caveat being if the offense suffers some injuries I think it could derail the team quickly with a middle of the pack defense. But all being said, this team has the potential to be very special.
I tend to just take a few injuries to starters as a given, so in my mind we are already derailed and middling at best on defense.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I tend to just take a few injuries to starters as a given, so in my mind we are already derailed and middling at best on defense.

Over the last 5 years, with a fairly normal amount of injuries, the Packers offense has finished 4th, 15th, 1st, 8th, and 5th in points. Why in the world would we assume that the offense is going to be derailed? That seems like pessimism that defies reason.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Browns just cut Calvin Pryor. Would it be worth cutting someone to fit him in? I feel like this team could use all the d back help they can get after how atrocious they were last year.

Members online

Latest posts