An Eagles Victory tomorrow night would help Packer's Chances

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks, so all we need to worry about is winning on sunday and we are in the playoffs.

GB win + NYG win + GB clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over NYG.

OP
OP
Title Town USA

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: An Eagles Victory tomorrow night would help Packer's Cha

What will it take for them to win strength of victory?
lol, nobody knows that, but it would include the lions winning...... :rubeyes:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks, so all we need to worry about is winning on sunday and we are in the playoffs.

I think they are wording that Gb needs to have the SOV over the Giants , NOT the pack HAVE the SOV over the Giants already..

In order for the pack to have the SOV, there has to be a ton of teams that need to lose, and need to lose by certain points as well..

That is how I think number one is suppose to be interpreted

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It would be in the Packers' best interests not to finish in a tie with the Giants because it would take a series of fortuitous outcomes the final weekend for them to win a tie-breaker. Because the two teams have not played head-to-head, would have the same conference records (7-5) and would have the same record against common opponents (1-4), it would come down to strength of victory (the combined record of the opponents a team has beaten).

New York has a considerable lead in that department but a victory over the Bears would greatly enhance Green Bay's numbers. There are a few scenarios in which Green Bay can overcome the Giants, but it will take some luck.

Basically, the Packers will be cheering for the Miami Dolphins to win tonight against the New York Jets and Sunday against Indianapolis. Then if the Giants beat Washington, the Packers would also want Detroit to beat Dallas, Seattle to beat Tampa Bay, Cleveland to beat Houston, Carolina to beat New Orleans, San Francisco to beat Denver and, of course, the Vikings to beat the Rams.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:

Nobody? So you don't know but yet you say its .. nvm.

Anyhow, you are right, it is a LONG shot to say the least.

The benefit to not having to work or attend class for an entire week gives me the chance to figure out the math behind all this and then the potential outcomes.

Here we go.

Keep in mind this is with Packers beating the Bears, and the Giants beating the Redskins.

First, this is how strength of victory is calculated.

You take the teams beaten and their records. Tally up the wins and the losses. Mainly the wins(as Jennings85 would say, OBVIOUSLY), but bring the loss's too so you can check your work.

Since the Packers will need to have EIGHT wins you have eight teams to total their records.
--- Note --- teams played twice, count twice (as Jennings85 would say, OBVIOUSLY).

Packers would need the final record for their teams beaten to be as follows.
Lions 3 - 13
Vikings 7 - 9
Cardinals 6 - 10
Dolphins 7 - 9
49ers 7 - 9
Lions 3 - 13
Vikings 7 - 9
Bears 13 - 3
Totals 53 - 75 (check my math, im not perfect!)

Now that we have the wins of the teams the Packer beat. We take the number of teams, EIGHT and multiply that by how many games in the season that have been completed, 16.

8 teams beaten * 16 games played = 128

Then, you have to divide 53 into 128 to give you the strength of victory which would be, 0.4140625 for the Packers

That's for the Packers.

Now the Giants. Packers would need the final record for Giants teams beaten to be as follows.

Redskins 5 - 11
Falcons 7 - 9
Eagles 9 - 7
Bucs 4 - 12
Texans 6 - 10
Panthers 7 - 9
Cowboys 9 -7
Redskins 5 - 11
Totals 52 - 76

Giving the Giants a SoV of 0.40625

OKAY, still with me? lol ... this is who has to win an lose in Week 17

• Lions
    beat Cowboys

Vikings
    beat Rams

Cardinals
    beat Chargers

Dolphins
    beat Colts

49ers
    beat Broncos
    Packers
    beat Bears

Giants
    beat Redskins

Falcons
    beat Eagles

Seahawks
    beat Buccaneers

Browns
    beat Texans

Saints
    beat Panthers

As Jennings85 said, its a long shot.

Don't ask how they would tie. I ain't that bored.
I'd also like to thank Jennings85 for calling me a 'nobody'. ;)

edit,

umair said:

I think they are wording that Gb needs to have the SOV over the Giants , NOT the pack HAVE the SOV over the Giants already..

In order for the pack to have the SOV, there has to be a ton of teams that need to lose, and need to lose by certain points as well..

Points are not considered with Strength of Victory and if they are. SCREW THEM! I ain't doing that all over again. :)

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jennings85 said:
Zero2Cool said:

Nobody? So you don't know but yet you say its .. nvm.

Anyhow, you are right, it is a LONG shot to say the least.

The benefit to not having to work or attend class for an entire week gives me the chance to figure out the math behind all this and then the potential outcomes.

Here we go.

Keep in mind this is with Packers beating the Bears, and the Giants beating the Redskins.

First, this is how strength of victory is calculated.

You take the teams beaten and their records. Tally up the wins and the losses. Mainly the wins(as Jennings85 would say, OBVIOUSLY), but bring the loss's too so you can check your work.

Since the Packers will need to have EIGHT wins you have eight teams to total their records.
--- Note --- teams played twice, count twice (as Jennings85 would say, OBVIOUSLY).

Packers would need the final record for their teams beaten to be as follows.
Lions 3 - 13
Vikings 7 - 9
Cardinals 6 - 10
Dolphins 7 - 9
49ers 7 - 9
Lions 3 - 13
Vikings 7 - 9
Bears 13 - 3
Totals 53 - 75 (check my math, im not perfect!)

Now that we have the wins of the teams the Packer beat. We take the number of teams, EIGHT and multiply that by how many games in the season that have been completed, 16.

8 teams beaten * 16 games played = 128

Then, you have to divide 53 into 128 to give you the strength of victory which would be, 0.4140625 for the Packers

That's for the Packers.

Now the Giants. Packers would need the final record for Giants teams beaten to be as follows.

Redskins 5 - 11
Falcons 7 - 9
Eagles 9 - 7
Bucs 4 - 12
Texans 6 - 10
Panthers 7 - 9
Cowboys 9 -7
Redskins 5 - 11
Totals 52 - 76

Giving the Giants a SoV of 0.40625

OKAY, still with me? lol ... this is who has to win an lose in Week 17

• Lions
    beat Cowboys

Vikings
    beat Rams

Cardinals
    beat Chargers

Dolphins
    beat Colts

49ers
    beat Broncos
    Packers
    beat Bears

Giants
    beat Redskins

Falcons
    beat Eagles

Seahawks
    beat Buccaneers

Browns
    beat Texans

Saints
    beat Panthers

As Jennings85 said, its a long shot.

Don't ask how they would tie. I ain't that bored.
I'd also like to thank Jennings85 for calling me a 'nobody'. ;)

edit,

umair said:

Points are not considered with Strength of Victory and if they are. SCREW THEM! I ain't doing that all over again. :)

haha nice work Zero. I was sold until the Arizona/San Diego game :wink:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Giants, Panthers, Falcons, Rams and Packers @ .500

Per the rules, Panthers, Falcons and Rams are eliminated from NFC record.

Leaving
Packers
Giants

no head to head
nfc record is the same
Strength of Victory comes into play an well you seen my post ^^^ that wont happen.

So if the Rams win,
the Falcons OR Panthers MUST win for us to have a chance.
We can not go into a head to head with the Rams as they did beat us. HOWEVER, if we go in with a three way tie the Rams would get knocked out from because of their NFC conf record.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
OK, this is getting me bonkers.

Giants have to lose. The Giants control the Packers destiny nearly as much as the Rams.
Giants win strength of victory over the Packers. Unless a miracle, well 9 miracles happen.

If Rams win and Giants lose.
Falcons OR Panthers have to win to force a three way tie in which the Rams would be eliminated as their NFC conf record would be only 6 - 6 and the Packers would be 7 - 5. If neither Falcons or Panthers win and the Rams win, Packers are OUT.

If Rams lose and Giants lose, Packers are in. Neither the Falcons nor the Panthers hold a tie breaker advantage nor head to head advantage.

That's what I think, I think. :)

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Totally.

I just heard on the radio(Game Night) that the Packers need the Giants and Rams to lose and a Packers win and they're in.

If the Giants win we can still get in via Strength of Victory? Something like that.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Yared-Yam said:
Totally.

I just heard on the radio(Game Night) that the Packers need the Giants and Rams to lose and a Packers win and they're in.

If the Giants win we can still get in via Strength of Victory? Something like that.

Push for the Giants to lose, lol.

As you can see, getting Strength of Victory advantage over the Giants is gonna be pretty damn much a miracle, err as I like to say, nine or so miracles.

• Packers
    beat Bears

Giants
    beat Redskins

Lions
    beat Cowboys

Vikings
    beat Rams

Cardinals
    beat Chargers

Dolphins
    beat Colts

49ers
    beat Broncos

Falcons
    beat Eagles

Seahawks
    beat Buccaneers

Browns
    beat Texans

Saints
    beat Panthers

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero,
Your numbers match mine but it would be a huge longshot. Pretty sad that we have to count on the Lions and Vikes to win to get Strength of victory. Sure would have been nice to have not blown that Buffalo game and we would be sitting in the driver's seat in all these calculations. But, you know, in 2003 the Pats were shut out in week one 31-0 by the Bills and then came back and shut Buffalo out in Week 17 31-0 on thier way to the SuperBowl.

One thing that everyone is not saying is that the Giants were 6-2 at one point this season. Their only win out of the last 7 games was against Carolina with an average margin of loss in those 6 losses of almost 13 points a game. Washington could very well take them.

Something that could help us is that the Eagle/Falcon game has been moved to a late game. IF the Lions beat Dallas in the early game :rotflmao: , the Eagles would clinch the division and not have to play everyone against Atlanta.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

[edit] sorry, I see it was already mentioned

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from ESPN.COM

NFC North

• Chicago has clinched the division and home-field advantage in the NFC.

• Green Bay can clinch a playoff berth with:
1. A win plus a NY Giants win + GB clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over NYG
Or
2. A win plus a NY Giants loss or tie plus a St. Louis loss or tie
Or
3. A win plus a NY Giants loss or tie plus a Carolina win
Or
4. A win plus a NY Giants loss or tie plus an Atlanta win
Or
5. A tie plus a NY Giants loss plus a St. Louis loss plus an Atlanta loss or tie plus a Carolina loss or tie

so basically, GO PACK. GO PANTHERS, GO FALCONS, AND GO SKINS.