All Capers Threads merged

D

Deleted member 6794

The most effective offense is usually the one who takes the least amount of yards per point scored.

That is just plain stupid. I think a 90+-yard drive for a TD is way more effective than a three-and-out that results in a FG because of great field position.

The saints and the lions might both have 5,000 yrd QBs but one is going to score a lot more points, that team is more effective, less empty yards.

The Saints scored only 19 points more than the Lions this season, the offense wasn't the deciding factor in one team making the playoffs and the other missing them.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watching them play, there just doesn't seem to be the cohesiveness. I see players out of position, coverage confusion, and other mental miscues. Its the coaches job to have the players in the proper positions and following their assignments.

To me, that is the sniff test and Capers is the source of the stench we all smell.

Couldn't agree more!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is just plain stupid. I think a 90+-yard drive for a TD is way more effective than a three-and-out that results in a FG because of great field position.

The Saints scored only 19 points more than the Lions this season, the offense wasn't the deciding factor in one team making the playoffs and the other missing them.

Well good thing it's used over a season and not two drives. I am surprised this is new to some fans. CHFFs uses this as a key stat.

I picked two teams at random with no preference to year. It was a generalized example of how it can be used... Someone as smart as you I'm sure caught that.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Are there different flavors/variations of the 3-4 or is Capers' scheme pretty much a litmus test for all of them? Wondering if a different style of 3-4 might be more successful given the fact TT favors a refresh of young players and Capers' D is more suited for vets or if there's a return to the 4-3 on the horizon.

H

HardRightEdge

Seems to me low yards gained per points scored is as much a function of a good defense as a good offense. First, there's the better field position provided by a good D (fewer yards to travel for those points), either by turnover or punt. Second, there's points actually scored by the D (or ST for that matter) that nobody ever seems to filter out when assessing offenses.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to disagree. Altho we need to add a few more playmakers on defense if Rob Ryan can take a terrible saints defense (worse then ours last yr) and turn it into a top five defense (4) with virtually the SAME players minus a couple?? then it's either Capers?? or the scheme which still points to Capers because it's his scheme. We don't have a roster full of all pro guy's on defense but neither do the Saints and they have made a MAJOR improvement.

They did pick up a 1 CB and had Jordan (11th overall pick I think) come into his own as a player for his age. Ryan should get some credit for those but it's a diff team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well good thing it's used over a season and not two drives. I am surprised this is new to some fans. CHFFs uses this as a key stat.

I picked two teams at random with no preference to year. It was a generalized example of how it can be used... Someone as smart as you I'm sure caught that.

Took a look at this useless stat at CHFF and as I expected it doesn't provide any meaningful information.

Do you really believe the Rams, Cardinals, Vikings and Titans have a more effective offense than the Packers???

And before you come up with the fact that Rodgers didn't play for almost eight games, the Saints, which you expect to put up 30 points every single game, are four spots behind the Packers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Took a look at this useless stat at CHFF and as I expected it doesn't provide any meaningful information.

Do you really believe the Rams, Cardinals, Vikings and Titans have a more effective offense than the Packers???

And before you come up with the fact that Rodgers didn't play for almost eight games, the Saints, which you expect to put up 30 points every single game, are four spots behind the Packers.

I will take a look at it, haven't this season. I will agree the packers offense was a complete mess without Rodgers.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`d agree we weren`t the best we`ve ever seen Ivo, but not a complete mess surely ?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Coaching is not just scheme. Although that is a big part of it, coaching is also about teaching technique, motivation, game planning, and other things.

I love the scheme, I just don't think it is being coached very well. Here is my explanation: Dom may be a coach that shifts his emphasis as he goes along. He is excited and teaching scheme in his first few years. But once they learn it, he shifts to other matters. .

Wouldnt that explanation be wrong considering we have new players or 1st year players on def?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Gregg Williams here next year more than any draft pick or anything else.
Our defense needs a better scheme, but more than that, we need to get aggressive.

But do you think Sitton would approve of hiring Williams?
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/40391/gregg-williams-speech-josh-sitton-gets-it

READ THAT ^^

And REMEMBER THIS:
Capers was not the top choice for the job back in 2009. He wasn't even the #2 or #3 choice.
We wanted Williams. We wanted Romeo Crennel. We wanted Jim Haslett. And we wanted Mike Nolan. We got none of them. We settled for Capers. We did win the one Super Bowl. But you wonder what could have happened had we gotten one of the other guys.

Read this from that 2009 job search:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37250404.html
Green Bay - Before anyone anoints former San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan as the next Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator, consider this name:

Gregg Williams.

With the hiring process not quite at the interview stage, Williams, one of the most highly regarded defensive coordinators in the game, has moved solidly into the picture and, with Nolan, forms the top two candidates on McCarthy's list.

According to a source with intimate knowledge of the search, McCarthy's plan is to.....

There's no question that Williams' résumé would include the aggressive, pressure-oriented experience McCarthy is looking for with his next hire. Williams has dabbled in just about everything, from a 4-3 scheme to a 3-4 to Buddy Ryan's "46." McCarthy, the source said, wants someone who could adapt to his talent and not be tied to one way of doing things.

Over a four-year period in Washington, Williams' defense ranked sixth in the NFL in yards allowed and ninth in points allowed. In his three seasons as Buffalo's head coach, the defense went from 21st to 15th to second overall.

Before being hired by the Bills, he oversaw a Titans defense for four seasons and led them to a No. 1 ranking in 2000.

He was a strong candidate to become Washington's head coach after Joe Gibbs retired after the 2007 season, but owner Dan Snyder ultimately went with Jim Zorn. The decision was not well-received among many players and fans who wanted Williams to get the job.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I want Gregg Williams here next year more than any draft pick or anything else.
Our defense needs a better scheme, but more than that, we need to get aggressive.

But do you think Sitton would approve of hiring Williams?
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/40391/gregg-williams-speech-josh-sitton-gets-it

You want a guy like that? He is worse than Jim Schrawtz ..

I dont think he would even get a sniff to replace Dom if Dom is fired...But stranger things have happened

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldnt that explanation be wrong considering we have new players or 1st year players on def?
Well, that was my point. He spent a couple of years on scheme as it was new. Because the players learned it he eased up on scheme. The new incoming players don't get the same level of intense scheme learning.

Just my theory - seems to explain why the defense historically drop off and why the players don't seem to be out of position so much.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You want a guy like that? He is worse than Jim Schrawtz ..

I dont think he would even get a sniff to replace Dom if Dom is fired...But stranger things have happened
Thompson and McCarthy DID want him before Capers.
They made Williams an official offer.
If we get run over again tomorrow on Capers' defense, I think you HAVE to make a change. And they will.
You cannot waste the Rodgers Era with a sieve defense year after year.
2009, Arizona torched us.
2011, Eli carved us up.
2012, Kaepernick and Gore ran thru us like a hot knife thru butter.
2013, we will see tomorrow.

Williams has some controversy sure. But his results speak for themselves. Read that article which shows that. Many teams, defenses got good to great. And all physical, which we need.

Again, we wanted him before Capers got the offer in 2009. I hope TT and MM aren't swayed by the Bounty thing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that was my point. He spent a couple of years on scheme as it was new. Because the players learned it he eased up on scheme. The new incoming players don't get the same level of intense scheme learning.

Just my theory - seems to explain why the defense historically drop off and why the players don't seem to be out of position so much.

So he teaches the scheme for 1st 2 or so years...Those are all new players to him..

Every year he gets new players, those players dont know it yet...So why would he teach his 1st few years then not teach it to the new players

The theory makes since, as does the teams in his division figure it out..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thompson and McCarthy DID want him before Capers.
They made Williams an official offer.

They made an offer before he was fined and suspended for telling players to injury q/b

I highly doubt they would offer him another contract

I am not saying stay with Dom, I think how the def plays tomorrow seals Dom's fate

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They made an offer before he was fined and suspended for telling players to injury q/b

I highly doubt they would offer him another contract.
Possibly.
Teddy took a player back after he was suspended before, Koren Robinson.

He's shown a heart. Perhaps he'll let bygones be bygones.

It really is a shame that since this coaching hire in 2009, our defense has just been blown out of the water each playoff except the one where we played Vick, Atlanta, Chicago, and Pittsburgh to win the Super Bowl. Remember that Steeler game, they marched up and down on us but we came up with 3 big turnovers. Same with that Atlanta game, turnovers saved us. And the Eagles game, 2 missed FGs by Akers saved us. Our defense was kind of bailed out.

If losing tomorrow will mean we get a better DC starting next season, I will take some solace in that fact. We need to give Rodgers a good defense. A great one? That would be something. But just give us a consistent good one.

I doubt anyone has the guts to make Williams their HEAD coach anymore. Let's take advantage of that and have him be our **** LeBeau for the next Rodgers decade.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are comparing a known paying head hunting coach to someone with an alcohol problem?

I guess I step out of this convo
I believe the NFL let Williams back in. He paid his debt. He's coaching the Tennessee Titans this year.

If the NFL has forgiven him, and Thompson has forgiven someone before, why would it be so far-fetched to imagine Thompson to consider Williams, again? He offered him the job once already.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the NFL let Williams back in. He paid his debt. He's coaching the Tennessee Titans this year.

If the NFL has forgiven him, and Thompson has forgiven someone before, why would it be so far-fetched to imagine Thompson to consider Williams, again? He offered him the job once already.

Yes paid his debt, as did Robinson, Jolly and a host of others..

But Williams did something far more damaging to the NFL, others did damage to them selves and others they may have hurt in the process, that have nothing to do with the NFL

He offered him the job before he got in trouble (I said that already)

IMO I dont think they will offer it..but stranger things have happened (said that too)

We just will have to disagree

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And REMEMBER THIS:
Capers was not the top choice for the job back in 2009. He wasn't even the #2 or #3 choice.
We wanted Williams. We wanted Romeo Crennel. We wanted Jim Haslett. And we wanted Mike Nolan. We got none of them. We settled for Capers. We did win the one Super Bowl. But you wonder what could have happened had we gotten one of the other guys.

I've been happy for how things turned out with Capers until the last couple years and I'm certainly not losing sleep over missing on some of those other top choices...

Williams did something far more damaging to the NFL, others did damage to them selves and others they may have hurt in the process, that have nothing to do with the NFL

Meh. Trying to Differentiate between player conduct suspensions and Williams' suspension seems like a pointless exercise given the uniqueness of the Saints bounty scandal. Not sure how it might affect the Packers' view of Williams or their willingness to extend an offer, but my sense is that there is no widespread vitriol for Williams around the NFL after what happened. Let's be honest, bounties were fairly common until relatively recently, when growing concerns over player health required the league to make an example of someone...

I don't think a Packers job offer (or the lack thereof) validates or invalidates anyone's position and, since Capers is still our defensive coordinator, I don't like to fixate so much on any single candidate. But Williams is an interesting name.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say without equivocation that I want Capers gone. I've been vocal on that for a couple of years now. There's no It's, But's, or Maybe's to it with me.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say without equivocation that I want Capers gone. I've been vocal on that for a couple of years now. There's no It's, But's, or Maybe's to it with me.

i second that. Since lovie smith is off the market Wade phillips is next on my Radar. I hear the new coach there wants to bring in his own defensive guy so maybe we go after Phillips? he's always been able to coach em up on defense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts