Adrian Peterson "im still the best"

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely love the moxy. Here you have a guy who was possibly, and arguably the best rb to ever play the game... confident enough at age 33 to say. "Im eager to prove I'm still the best"..... holy crap.
Now that is obviously a unfounded , crazy statement. But I will tell you what. When you have a guy who had the best work ethic maybe ever. Who came back from double ligament tear, acl, McL, and cartilage damage, only to run for 2100 yards.... you simply do not discredit without that hint of doubt.

Even if the team wants youth at rb position. Salary, future development, Peterson's definite ups and down the last 2 or three years... what ever reason Greenbay wouldn't want him not on the team. I disagree.... still. Despite all logic.

Like I said last year. Peterson has superhuman will power. That is a main ingredient of greatness... every draft pick every year has talent. But it's that unbreakable will power that sets the great ones apart... Greenbay needs more of that greatness to lead by example... he might be a place filler, insurance policy for our annual running back injury party. Where by week 5 we are rotating our 3 rbs from injury report to starting lineup every week... AP can at least give us a damn veteran option... some stability at a position we havnt had. 500 yard rusher in like 3 years... we need some consistency. I'm optimistic of the three young guys of course. But I was optimistic the last 3 years too. I said the same thing last year... just so happens the week AR went down, saints traded AP to AZ for nothing. AZ didn't a have a qb, and their rbs were all hurt. AP would have been the corner stone Greenbay needed to get through last year with a couple wins to give #12 a chance to save the season when he finally got back... but we didn't have him.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, will you ever stop advocating for the Packers to sign Peterson??? :rolleyes:
NOPE. :)

Actually I am excited about our three rbs this year...
But Peterson says he still thinks he is the best.... I have a hard time believing he has nothing left to offer. Especially to a team who belly flopped when #12 went down last year... Peterson carried the vikes damn near single handed for a decade. It would not hurt my feelings to have him in the ranks for a championship run.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
1) The Packers belly flopping when Rodgers got hurt had nothing to do with RB play.

2) To be effective, Peterson needs high volume from formations that have the QB under center. That isn’t happening here.

3) Peterson is a net negative in the passing game, making him a bad fit on this offense and in this era.

4) They won’t and shouldn’t sign him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually I am excited about our three rbs this year...
But Peterson says he still thinks he is the best.... I have a hard time believing he has nothing left to offer. Especially to a team who belly flopped when #12 went down last year... Peterson carried the vikes damn near single handed for a decade. It would not hurt my feelings to have him in the ranks for a championship run.

A lot of posters outlined that signing Peterson last season would have been a terrible idea for various reasons. Nothing has changed aside of him being another year older.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of posters outlined that signing Peterson last season would have been a terrible idea for various reasons. Nothing has changed aside of him being another year older.
I outlined the positives... just so happens when #12 goes down, most our rbs were also hurt. And our offense had a inexperienced qb who was out classed in #12s scheme. And could have used a work horse ,20 carry a game rb. One who averaged 4 ypc despite not having a qb.

And we could still use a insurance policy imo.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I outlined the positives... just so happens when #12 goes down, most our rbs were also hurt. And our offense had a inexperienced qb who was out classed in #12s scheme. And could have used a work horse ,20 carry a game rb. One who averaged 4 ypc despite not having a qb.

The Packers also lost a game against the Saints in which Jones ran roughshod over the opposing defense and the Packers’ stop unit turned Brees over twice in the first half. The issue was not the running game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Peterson averaged 3.4 yards per carry last season. I have no idea how he would have improved the Packers offense which ranked fifth in that category in 2017.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread made more sense a year ago. Now it makes no sense.

3.4 yards a carry and can't stay healthy for a season.

Not just no, but HELL no!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely love the moxy. Here you have a guy who was possibly, and arguably the best rb to ever play the game... confident enough at age 33 to say. "Im eager to prove I'm still the best"..... holy crap.
Now that is obviously a unfounded , crazy statement. But I will tell you what. When you have a guy who had the best work ethic maybe ever. Who came back from double ligament tear, acl, McL, and cartilage damage, only to run for 2100 yards.... you simply do not discredit without that hint of doubt.

Even if the team wants youth at rb position. Salary, future development, Peterson's definite ups and down the last 2 or three years... what ever reason Greenbay wouldn't want him not on the team. I disagree.... still. Despite all logic.

Like I said last year. Peterson has superhuman will power. That is a main ingredient of greatness... every draft pick every year has talent. But it's that unbreakable will power that sets the great ones apart... Greenbay needs more of that greatness to lead by example... he might be a place filler, insurance policy for our annual running back injury party. Where by week 5 we are rotating our 3 rbs from injury report to starting lineup every week... AP can at least give us a damn veteran option... some stability at a position we havnt had. 500 yard rusher in like 3 years... we need some consistency. I'm optimistic of the three young guys of course. But I was optimistic the last 3 years too. I said the same thing last year... just so happens the week AR went down, saints traded AP to AZ for nothing. AZ didn't a have a qb, and their rbs were all hurt. AP would have been the corner stone Greenbay needed to get through last year with a couple wins to give #12 a chance to save the season when he finally got back... but we didn't have him.

I remember when another Wisconsin sports team, the Milwaukee Bucks, traded a talented young guard (Quinn Buckner) to the Boston Celtics for an aging Dave Cowens. Cowens had been a great player over the years for Boston, and the Bucks fell in love with the memory of who he was. I believe that is what's going on here.

Peterson was great - Now he's reduced to trying to convince people he can still play. It's over, let it go.......

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and he was great a couple seasons and a major injury ago. Has not been since and will never be again.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have all kinds of respect for Peterson. He took the torch of "best back in the league" from LT and carried it a long time. And though he was never as good as Tomlinson, he was still an amazing, HOF level player. But it would be foolish to try and cling to him now just because of what he once was.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone really expect anything different? Pro athletes, especially elite guys (like a guy that returned from ACL to run for over 2,000 yards) HAVE to be unrealistic in their opinions of their abilities. I mean, the odds have been against them since they were in HS football and yet they've overcome those odds, literally, their entire lives. What life experience has taught AD that he should be listen to others regarding how good he can be/is while ignoring how good he thinks that he is?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the actual GOAT, Jim Brown's rushing record was about to be broken, Jim Brown announced he could still play. At age 52 he said he was toying with the idea of coming back to put his records out of reach.

The ego of these athletes is so strong, they cant see reality.

AP is no longer an NFL level RB. He cannot make the Packers roster, let alone help the team. Maybe a team at the bottom of the NFL will sign him as a novelty to sell season tickets, but i doubt he is on an opening day roster.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There's a difference in being confident in your ability, and being in complete/utter denial.

In this situation, it's the latter. Let it go, AP.

I was one that argued signing him was something the team should have considered under the right circumstances. Given all of the new evidence, it'd be foolish to bring him on board.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a difference in being confident in your ability, and being in complete/utter denial.

In this situation, it's the latter. Let it go, AP.

I was one that argued signing him was something the team should have considered under the right circumstances. Given all of the new evidence, it'd be foolish to bring him on board.

No, there's no difference for a pro athlete. Again, what situation in AD's life has taught him that he can't prove everyone wrong? He has overcome every negative story/idea about his ability to play this game for his entire life. I'm not saying he's able to be great, obviously he isn't, but being irrational is PART of being a great player. No rational person expects to be an elite pro athlete when they grow up, the hit rate on that goal is far too small for any sane person to expect it, and yet many elite athletes DO expect it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just in: Bart Starr says he has one more season in him. Do we sign him and trade Aaron Rodgers to save some money and get us over the top?

EDIT: Just looked it up - Vet minimum for Starr at this point would be $146M. Never mind.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just in: Bart Starr says he has one more season in him. Do we sign him and trade Aaron Rodgers to save some money and get us over the top?

EDIT: Just looked it up - Vet minimum for Starr at this point would be $146M. Never mind.

Lynn ****ey?

Members online

Latest posts