Adrian Peterson "im still the best"

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? The vikes owed him nearly 20 mil. That's the only damn reason they dropped him. The saints already had a top ten pick rb, a rookie kamara, and they brought in Peterson... turns out kamara and Ingram are both studs and they don't want old man Peterson pushing them anymore....
Enter AZ who has the best rb in the league, who will be back 110% this year...

So you wonder why he was released by three teams?

The saints gave him crap carries. The cardinals didn't have a offense. Every qb and rb was injured. He did well, and looked good imo, carrying the team until he sprained his neck. Most likely tattooing a lb.....

Spin it jacked up if you want. But Thompson was a draft/internal guy. Gute is using diff avenues to insure success. You look at the total yards line of our leading rusher the last decade. And you can see why I want to throw a wild card into the mix.

The only person “spinning” this is you buddy.

Peterson is washed.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We told you last year, and we were right. We’re telling you again, and you haven’t learned your lesson yet.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? The vikes owed him nearly 20 mil. That's the only damn reason they dropped him.

I'm pretty sure his 1.9 yards per carry and inability to stay healthy in 2016 had something to do with it. Tell me, since you're so much smarter than everyone else on this forum, along with every NFL general manager, what has he done in the past two season that makes you think everyone else in the football universe is wrong about him? We already know the thought of him sends a thrill up your leg, but how about something factual? And what he did when he was 28 is meaningless. In RB years 33 is ancient.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Peterson needs the ball 20+ times a game to be effective. If a team isn't willing to give him the ball that often then they shouldn't sign him. My bet, he has lost a step, but is probably still better than half the backs out there that are currently starting.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson needs the ball 20+ times a game to be effective. If a team isn't willing to give him the ball that often then they shouldn't sign him. My bet, he has lost a step, but is probably still better than half the backs out there that are currently starting.

If that was true he'd be on somebody's roster. My bet is that he signs with someone right before TC but doesn't make the cut after which he never sees another field.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wellll........ when you put it that way... lol
No. I think he is a first ballot hofer. And even though he has had some injuries recently, he has shown to be able to play through pain if he has to.

And let's look at this from a different perspective..... Alvin kamara is their new super star rookie down in nOrlens. They already had a top 10 pick in Ingram (I believe)... yet they brought in Peterson... and one could possibly assume that kamara seen Peterson come out looking like a stud. Rave reviews coming out in preseason for Peterson. Big strong fast burst.... would kamara have raised his game to that level of Ingram was the only competition? On the down side, Ingram started juicing it sounded like, by the suspension. But I shouldn't say because I didn't read it. But regardless, it is a clue that there was a lot of competition in the saints rb corps last year...

That's the effect I see happening here. Bring Peterson in to play behind #12. Give the superstar ego a boost instead of a beat down. Ride the wave.... Those young guys we got will raise their game, I guarantee it. Having him on the field will raise everyone's game. Similar to how favre effected the vikes on their great year imo. Everyone raised their game, and Favre delivered despite so many saying he was washed up 3 years earlier... (we won't mention the int that ended that run, lol)

The vikes watched Favre with hate/envy for a decade and a half. When he joined their team, they embraced the 40 year old like he was the second coming.... I seen Peterson the last decade, and I'd be lying if the same envy dynamics aren't in play here... he was so good. We have been so bad for so long. We need that hof anchor to spur the young talent. Imo.

It's a wasted opportunity if we don't. Damn near nothing lost if we do and he doesn't work out.

These are some impressive mental gymnastics here.

How many years of Peterson not being good will it take for you to say "maybe he's done"?

Or will there always be some external reason why he's not good anymore?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are some impressive mental gymnastics here.

How many years of Peterson not being good will it take for you to say "maybe he's done"?

Or will there always be some external reason why he's not good anymore?
One more. :)

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure his 1.9 yards per carry and inability to stay healthy in 2016 had something to do with it. Tell me, since you're so much smarter than everyone else on this forum, along with every NFL general manager, what has he done in the past two season that makes you think everyone else in the football universe is wrong about him? We already know the thought of him sends a thrill up your leg, but how about something factual? And what he did when he was 28 is meaningless. In RB years 33 is ancient.
Lol. I'm not the smartest, by any means. But I am good at numbers and trends. I'm creative, and stubborn.

And I'm telling you that if the gms don't want Peterson, it's because the trend is rbs are done at 30. They are cheap. And there's new ones every year coming in with something to offer in the long term future... but none of that accounts for the mojo a person brings. A person like Peterson, playing for #12, proving to our young rbs. He will play harder than anyone on the field I bet. That's what made him great, and that's what makes him valuable to us now.

But people need to cut the negativity, and give the guy a chance if they are going to take a long shot on him .

I think our young rbs need a little kick in the rear by a good 3rd string vet

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. I'm not the smartest, by any means. But I am good at numbers and trends.

Maybe not so much.

A person like Peterson, playing for #12...

Let me stop you right there. Peterson would be the worst thing for Rodgers. The man doesn't "play for" anyone but himself. He cries if he doesn't get the number of carries HE thinks he should get and he's an abysmal pass protector, which is something we do NOT want. He didn't have Brees's back which is a big part of the reason they cut his snaps very quickly and he would not have Aaron's back either!

But people need to cut the negativity, and give the guy a chance if they are going to take a long shot on him .

Ah, you're making progress. At least now you acknowledge he's a long shot to make an NFL roster.

Aaron Jones had a 5.5 yard average last year. Peterson hasn't done that since 2012.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol. I'm not the smartest, by any means. But I am good at numbers and trends. I'm creative, and stubborn.

And I'm telling you that if the gms don't want Peterson, it's because the trend is rbs are done at 30. They are cheap. And there's new ones every year coming in with something to offer in the long term future... but none of that accounts for the mojo a person brings. A person like Peterson, playing for #12, proving to our young rbs. He will play harder than anyone on the field I bet. That's what made him great, and that's what makes him valuable to us now.

THIS is from several years ago and still is relevant:
Peterson’s skill set is not a good fit
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

On top of his personal problems, Peterson generally isn’t a good fit for how the Packers like to utilize running backs.

In Green Bay running backs need to do three things on the field: pass protect, catch passes, and create mismatches with a variety of skillsets.

Though his long term development at the position is still a mystery, Ty Montgomery is on track to do all of these things well. Pass blocking remains an issue, but he’s already an above average player in the two other areas. He’s a good pass catcher and his ability to line up anywhere on the field creates mismatches for every other Packers skill player.

Peterson, on the other hand, is more or less just a classic running back. He just runs. He’s bad in pass protection to the point that the Vikings turned to Toby Gerhart to pass protect on key passing downs.

Peterson has also never been a good receiver, despite his terrific athleticism. Think about the athletic profile of Eddie Lacy compared to Adrian Peterson, then consider that Lacy’s career yards per reception average is almost a full yard higher than Peterson’s.

From a pure utilization perspective, Peterson might as well be considered Christine Michael from a running perspective at this point in his career. Since he was so slow to pick up the playbook, any time Michael was on the field it was basically a given that the Packers were going to run the ball.

That’s more or less what the Packers would be signalling with Peterson on the field, too. Teams know that he doesn’t catch or pass protect well, so rolling out a formation with Peterson in the backfield might as well be a giant Bat Signal to the defense that a run is coming.

There’s also the simple fact that Peterson is ancient by running back standards. Unless the team is overwhelmingly convinced that Peterson is going to be dramatically better than most other 32-year old running backs, it’s going to be hard to justify signing him for that reason alone.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson breaks 1000 yards through 15 games(1041). Playing without their 1st or 2nd string qb. Still able to carry a team....

1041 yds rushing, 7 tds, 4.6 ypc ....
21 receptions. 206 yds. 1rec td.....

Lets go ahead and mention he is #4 leading rusher on the season.... And has 4 games with 10 carries or less....

Meanwhile. Our three promising young rbs with durability issues? One traded. One on ir who did lead the league in ypc. But again, durability failure... Williams hurt early in the season, last man standing....

Anyone willing to admit they were wrong about Peterson? Lol. No???

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Peterson breaks 1000 yards through 15 games(1041). Playing without their 1st or 2nd string qb. Still able to carry a team....

Lets go ahead and mention he is #4 leading rusher on the season.... And has 4 games with 10 carries or less....

Meanwhile. Our three promising young rbs with durability issues? One traded. One on ir who did lead the league in ypc. But again, durability failure... Williams hurt early in the season, last man standing....

im sure some one, but at the time no one else wanted him correct? he was available all off season, posted videos of his workouts, but no one signed him until Aug..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
hell..saints traded him and the cards let him go.

Things happen out of the ordinary

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted him. Saints had Ingram and discovered Kamara. Peterson was said to be best looking rb on saints in preseason. But team went with the future because obviously Kamara/Ingram are solid.
Arizona lost their qb, rb, and half the online when peterson went there. And he played well a few games.

The fact no teams wanted him this off season was because rbs at 33 aren't typically a commodity. But peterson isn't typical.

People should have known that...

D

Deleted member 6794

You continue to ignore that Peterson is a terrible fit in an offense with Rodgers being the quarterback. I have made that abundantly clear to you in the past but of course you continue to ignore it because he had a good season in DC.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You continue to ignore that Peterson is a terrible fit in an offense with Rodgers being the quarterback. I have made that abundantly clear to you in the past but of course you continue to ignore it because he had a good season in DC.
Peterson had 20 catches through 15 games. He doesn't look out of place catching a dump off. I just think he wasn't used in that way. He was meant to get the ball fast and use his blockers to get up field faster than the other guy. And he did that well... Why keep him in there every down when they need him to do what he does better than most, on running plays?
Regardless. He has done something the packers have only been able to accomplish 2 times in last 9 years. And that's 1000yd rusher...

Maybe the reason McCarthy is gone is because he doesn't think 1000yd rushers fit in our system? Lol.

You all want to stick to the morality of his child raising method. Thats legitimate. But to say he was over the hill was flat out wrong.

Putting a world class veteran behind your up and coming youngsters will do one of two things... Push them to their best potential, where they are the best rb on the team. Or... Make them realize that a 33 year old hall of famer just schooled them at their own game. And besides seeing that as an example. They will Get some time on the bench to get that hunger..

D

Deleted member 6794

Peterson had 20 catches through 15 games. He doesn't look out of place catching a dump off. I just think he wasn't used in that way. He was meant to get the ball fast and use his blockers to get up field faster than the other guy. And he did that well... Why keep him in there every down when they need him to do what he does better than most, on running plays?
Regardless. He has done something the packers have only been able to accomplish 2 times in last 9 years. And that's 1000yd rusher...

Maybe the reason McCarthy is gone is because he doesn't think 1000yd rushers fit in our system? Lol.

Once again for the umpteenth time, Peterson doesn't fit the Packers offensive scheme as long as Rodgers is the team's quarterback. We have discussed that before on several occasions.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again for the umpteenth time, Peterson doesn't fit the Packers offensive scheme as long as Rodgers is the team's quarterback. We have discussed that before on several occasions.
I take this to mean our offensive philosophy is our first three options are Rodgers, Rodgers and Rodgers, but if this offense is going to bounce back and be a feared offense again, the new coaching staff is going to have a commitment to the run. I mean a real commitment. I hope Rodgers realizes this. This season proved he can't carry this team on his shoulders by himself anymore. We finally have the running back to have a balanced attack.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All anyones ever said what just that... He doesnt fit the scheme...
He can catch a dump off. He can run hard. What exactly doesnt he do to fit?

We don't want him out running routes. Ok. I get that.... But is that truly the deal breaker? You can't simply take what he has to offer and use it?

As I pointed out before. Maybe not umteen times. But disregarded just the same.... #12 went down the year before. He could have easily popped his acl and been done week one this year. What sense does it make to have a 3rd rb or even 4th rb like peterson. Who can line up deep and become a focal point to build an offense around.... Considering on Hundley didnt work. Kizer the answer (31-0?)

At least with Peterson, az and Washington went nearly .500 without a qb....

D

Deleted member 6794

I take this to mean our offensive philosophy is our first three options are Rodgers, Rodgers and Rodgers, but if this offense is going to bounce back and be a feared offense again, the new coaching staff is going to have a commitment to the run. I mean a real commitment. I hope Rodgers realizes this. This season proved he can't carry this team on his shoulders by himself anymore. We finally have the running back to have a balanced attack.

All anyones ever said what just that... He doesnt fit the scheme...
He can catch a dump off. He can run hard. What exactly doesnt he do to fit?

We don't want him out running routes. Ok. I get that.... But is that truly the deal breaker? You can't simply take what he has to offer and use it?

As I pointed out before. Maybe not umteen times. But disregarded just the same.... #12 went down the year before. He could have easily popped his acl and been done week one this year. What sense does it make to have a 3rd rb or even 4th rb like peterson. Who can line up deep and become a focal point to build an offense around.... Considering on Hundley didnt work. Kizer the answer (31-0?)

At least with Peterson, az and Washington went nearly .500 without a qb....

As I mentioned repeatedly, Peterson is best suited to line up several yards behind a quarterback under center. The Packers don't use Rodgers or a running back that way most of the time though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts