Adrian Peterson "im still the best"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders was a great player and an even better human being. Cant help but cheer for the guy. But there is a reason the Lioms never did much with him. He danced around too much looking for the big play. Although he would break a couple each week that made great highlights on ESPN, he would also have a dozen 0 or -2 yard runs that would kill drives. Give me a LT, Jim Brown, or ****erson who picked up at least 3 yds most plays. Better chance to win games.

I read once that Sanders lead the league in carries for losses. I'm not sure if that was for a career or just for a season. If that's the case it makes his yardage total even that much more impressive because he had to make up for so much lost ground. To me that says two things. One he was a threat to take every carry the distance and two he couldn't be counted on to get the 1 important yard.

There are two thing I remember most about Sanders. The first is 11 carries for - 1 yards and the second is being so thankful he didn't get 12 carries in that game because it could have been 12 carries for 98 yards..

The thing is its hard to rank them. Everyone has there own biases but the truth is there are probably half a dozen RBs and maybe even a couple more who can legitimately be argued to be the best ever. I consider Peterson and Smith to be in that group.

IMO Walter Payton was and still is the best and most complete RB I ever saw play the game.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are so many all time greats, it's hard to choose. But for me, there are two positions locked up. At QB- Johnny Unitas. And at RB- Jim Brown.

People can and will argue with you and depending on their candidate legitimately so but no one can say you are wrong because there is no doubt your two guys have legit claims to the top spot on the list. The best part about your post isn't who you picked but the part in bold. You admit its hard to choose and IMO if everyone was honest they would all feel that way. Those who say stuff like "Without a doubt its this guy" or "that guy was heads and shoulder over everyone else" or even "he shouldn't even be in the conversation" are very hard for me to take seriously.

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read once that Sanders lead the league in carries for losses. I'm not sure if that was for a career or just for a season. If that's the case it makes his yardage total even that much more impressive because he had to make up for so much lost ground. To me that says two things. One he was a threat to take every carry the distance and two he couldn't be counted on to get the 1 important yard.

There are two thing I remember most about Sanders. The first is 11 carries for - 1 yards and the second is being so thankful he didn't get 12 carries in that game because it could have been 12 carries for 98 yards..

The thing is its hard to rank them. Everyone has there own biases but the truth is there are probably half a dozen RBs and maybe even a couple more who can legitimately be argued to be the best ever. I consider Peterson and Smith to be in that group.

IMO Walter Payton was and still is the best and most complete RB I ever saw play the game.
I was unfortunate to never have gotten to see Payton play, seen a few highlight clips like most people but that’s it. He was definitely one of the best ever from what little I have seen and everything I heard about him as a player. Same with Jim Brown, someone said previously you can’t really compare old school players to current ones, game has evolved and changed too much. Would be like Apples vs Oranges almost. Peterson was a helluva RB, hell I still remember groaning a few times when we were in playoff race and we had Minnesota up next week. Which means we had to deal with him which was never easy. He literally could win games on his ability.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I was unfortunate to never have gotten to see Payton play, seen a few highlight clips like most people but that’s it. He was definitely one of the best ever from what little I have seen and everything I heard about him as a player.
I'll be validated or corrected but I distinctly recall Sweetness at QB to finish out a game after the B3@rz ran out of them. It was for a drive or three, not just a few wildcats. And the Packers still couldn't stop them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'll be validated or corrected but I distinctly recall Sweetness at QB to finish out a game after the B3@rz ran out of them. It was for a drive or three, not just a few wildcats. And the Packers still couldn't stop them.

Actually, it was to end the first half, but you are correct, Sweetness did play QB against the Packers for one series. He threw an interception, but later in the game, on a half back option, tossed a TD.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of Payton's greatness was his durability; I don't know if he missed any games due to injury, but he credited it to his style- knee high action, and delivering rather than taking blows.
A great player, and an even better man.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares what he wants? The Packers don't want him, nor should they.

I certainly don’t care, just sharing news. I’m sure many people do care though. Don’t know how you can say for certain what the packers want, but I agree that they should pass on him.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly don’t care, just sharing news. I’m sure many people do care though. Don’t know how you can say for certain what the packers want, but I agree that they should pass on him.

In a nutshell, he does nothing to upgrade the position, so the only thing that makes any sense is that the Packers would not want him.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a nutshell, he does nothing to upgrade the position, so the only thing that makes any sense is that the Packers would not want him.
That's total bull... :) imo
Despite all the potential our three young rbs have. NONE!!!! REPEAT NONE!of them have shown even a glimpse of durability in the last 2 seasons.... Peterson is a true work horse that will push these young rbs into being better. At the same time bringing a little insurance to the rb corps. Ready for the yearly collapse around week 5.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AP has never cleaned up his fumbling issue and he was never known to be all that great at picking up the blitz. I would pass on him. It hss nothing to do about his off the field problems its just that he isn't an upgrade anymore at the position over the current *********. If one of the three gets hurt, then signing AP might make sense. Until then, no.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly he wants to sign here?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sc...-to-sign-with-Green-Bay-Packers-118544133/Amp

“Green Bay wouldn't be a bad look," Peterson said. "They're some options out there. You see around the league they have a two-back system. Guys are not pounding the ball 20-30 times a game. I think that leaves the door open for a couple of opportunities for me."

Its a stretch to get "he wants to sign here" out of what he said. Same for the article headline.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Its a stretch to get "he wants to sign here" out of what he said. Same for the article headline.

Agreed.

"Adrian Peterson looks to sign with Green Bay Packers"

LOL.....Brian Jones should have his media credentials suspended for putting that headline on this article.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not really though.

He was asked who does he see himself playing for and mentioned the Green Bay packers by name, that literally means he wants to sign here lol. Although I’m sure he’d want to play for anyone who would give him a contract at this point.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite all the potential our three young rbs have. NONE!!!! REPEAT NONE!of them have shown even a glimpse of durability in the last 2 seasons.... Peterson is a true work horse that will push these young rbs into being better. At the same time bringing a little insurance to the rb corps. Ready for the yearly collapse around week 5.

And Peterson hasn't shown the ability to be a good RB the last two years. What's your point?

"He used to be great" isnt a reason to sign a guy now

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really though.

He was asked who does he see himself playing for and mentioned the Green Bay packers by name, that literally means he wants to sign here lol. Although I’m sure he’d want to play for anyone who would give him a contract at this point.

He mentioned a few teams apparently. Why not AP want to play for ???? He is willing to play for the Saints. Why not AP wants to play for the Saints. Even though we don't know the exact question asked, from his response it is obvious that he has given the idea of where he would best fit in some serious thought. Knowing where you might have the best chance of success isn't really the same as wanting to play there, especially if you mention several teams. Maybe Green Bay is last on his list of teams where he thinks he is the best fit.

Agreed.

"Adrian Peterson looks to sign with Green Bay Packers"

LOL.....Brian Jones should have his media credentials suspended for putting that headline on this article.

In his defense the people who write the articles don't always write the headlines.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Peterson was discarded by THREE teams in the last 12 months. He has averaged 3.13 yards per carry over the past two seasons. RBs do NOT improve in their mid 30s. He's done. At this point he's only a slightly better prospect than Walter Payton's remains.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So sign a guy who has only played in 13 games in the last 3 seasons and when he wasnt injured, wasnt as good as our 4th string player? Less productive, less reliable, and far more expensive. Not sure what you are thinking AP is at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So sign a guy who has only played in 13 games in the last 3 seasons and when he wasnt injured, wasnt as good as our 4th string player? Less productive, less reliable, and far more expensive. Not sure what you are thinking AP is at this point.
Wellll........ when you put it that way... lol
No. I think he is a first ballot hofer. And even though he has had some injuries recently, he has shown to be able to play through pain if he has to.

And let's look at this from a different perspective..... Alvin kamara is their new super star rookie down in nOrlens. They already had a top 10 pick in Ingram (I believe)... yet they brought in Peterson... and one could possibly assume that kamara seen Peterson come out looking like a stud. Rave reviews coming out in preseason for Peterson. Big strong fast burst.... would kamara have raised his game to that level of Ingram was the only competition? On the down side, Ingram started juicing it sounded like, by the suspension. But I shouldn't say because I didn't read it. But regardless, it is a clue that there was a lot of competition in the saints rb corps last year...

That's the effect I see happening here. Bring Peterson in to play behind #12. Give the superstar ego a boost instead of a beat down. Ride the wave.... Those young guys we got will raise their game, I guarantee it. Having him on the field will raise everyone's game. Similar to how favre effected the vikes on their great year imo. Everyone raised their game, and Favre delivered despite so many saying he was washed up 3 years earlier... (we won't mention the int that ended that run, lol)

The vikes watched Favre with hate/envy for a decade and a half. When he joined their team, they embraced the 40 year old like he was the second coming.... I seen Peterson the last decade, and I'd be lying if the same envy dynamics aren't in play here... he was so good. We have been so bad for so long. We need that hof anchor to spur the young talent. Imo.

It's a wasted opportunity if we don't. Damn near nothing lost if we do and he doesn't work out.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson was discarded by THREE teams in the last 12 months. He has averaged 3.13 yards per carry over the past two seasons. RBs do NOT improve in their mid 30s. He's done. At this point he's only a slightly better prospect than Walter Payton's remains.
Seriously? The vikes owed him nearly 20 mil. That's the only damn reason they dropped him. The saints already had a top ten pick rb, a rookie kamara, and they brought in Peterson... turns out kamara and Ingram are both studs and they don't want old man Peterson pushing them anymore....
Enter AZ who has the best rb in the league, who will be back 110% this year...

So you wonder why he was released by three teams?

The saints gave him crap carries. The cardinals didn't have a offense. Every qb and rb was injured. He did well, and looked good imo, carrying the team until he sprained his neck. Most likely tattooing a lb.....

Spin it jacked up if you want. But Thompson was a draft/internal guy. Gute is using diff avenues to insure success. You look at the total yards line of our leading rusher the last decade. And you can see why I want to throw a wild card into the mix.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? The vikes owed him nearly 20 mil. That's the only damn reason they dropped him. The saints already had a top ten pick rb, a rookie kamara, and they brought in Peterson... turns out kamara and Ingram are both studs and they don't want old man Peterson pushing them anymore....
Enter AZ who has the best rb in the league, who will be back 110% this year...

So you wonder why he was released by three teams?

The saints gave him crap carries. The cardinals didn't have a offense. Every qb and rb was injured. He did well, and looked good imo, carrying the team until he sprained his neck. Most likely tattooing a lb.....

Spin it jacked up if you want. But Thompson was a draft/internal guy. Gute is using diff avenues to insure success. You look at the total yards line of our leading rusher the last decade. And you can see why I want to throw a wild card into the mix.
Does the fact that it seems that nobody agrees with you matter even a little bit?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts